It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Final pre-release update and price increase coming August 16.

So much has been happening with We Happy Few since the title joined Games in Development, but this journey is almost at its end. As the full game's release approaches, developers Compulsion Games are beginning revealed their plans for the near future.

The final in-development update "Life in Technicolor" is dropping August 16, introducing new Joy effects as well as a brand new UI (still WIP), AI reworks and much more. This date also marks the previously-announced price change – jumping to $50.99 (or your local equivalent).

You can read the full announcement here.

If you've been on the fence, this is a great time to hop over – and stay tuned for more info coming soon!
Bookwyrm627: When reading the first half of your sentence here, my mind was going "Wow, how many friends do you have? Must not be many."

And after reading the second half, my mind goes "Ah. Answers that question."

And fridge logic just kicked in to say "...and what have you been doing to be moving that many dead bodies...?"
CharlesGrey: I think he only had to move one dead body, but he needed 5 people to help, because the guy was really heavy.
Successful corpse removal requires many hands.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: Today, most publishers/devs are absolutely out to screw consumers with price gouging. The standard for video games used to be that $49.99 USD bought you a full game with at least 30 hours (at bare minimum) of hand-crafted, varied gameplay. That also included patches for six months to a year after release, many of which added new content, and all of which were free of charge.
I think you have a very "embellished" memory of the past, I have been gaming long enough to remember of period where a full price bought you a full game with 2-3 hours of gameplay, no patch at all (unless the game was literally unplayable and was recalled).

Most of the older games were actually pretty short, often hiding it behind artificial padding (unfair difficulty forcing you to memorize the whole game, lack of continue/lives, useless grinding / backtracking, pixel hunting, etc...) a lot of the classical games can be finished in a couple of hours and some even in less than a single hour.

Also games were not always "complete", for example I had to buy Wing Commander 2, then buy Wing Commander 2 Speech pack, and then all the expansion were also sold separately (yes DLCs, without the DL part, already existed in 199X, Origin was pretty notorious for selling its games in "kits" and then reselling the "enhanced" CD version later) and often buying the extension was the only way to get a "patch" for the base game.

While I definitely agree that some devs abuse of DLC, micro transactions and the fact that they can release a broken game and patch it later, things were not prefect either in the past, there was tons of short, broken, padded, incomplete games sold at full price too. And devs who patched their games for months/years and released expansion for free were more the exception than the rule.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: Today, most publishers/devs are absolutely out to screw consumers with price gouging. The standard for video games used to be that $49.99 USD bought you a full game with at least 30 hours (at bare minimum) of hand-crafted, varied gameplay. That also included patches for six months to a year after release, many of which added new content, and all of which were free of charge.
Gersen: I think you have a very "embellished" memory of the past, I have been gaming long enough to remember of period where a full price bought you a full game with 2-3 hours of gameplay, no patch at all (unless the game was literally unplayable and was recalled).

Most of the older games were actually pretty short, often hiding it behind artificial padding (unfair difficulty forcing you to memorize the whole game, lack of continue/lives, useless grinding / backtracking, pixel hunting, etc...) a lot of the classical games can be finished in a couple of hours and some even in less than a single hour.

Also games were not always "complete", for example I had to buy Wing Commander 2, then buy Wing Commander 2 Speech pack, and then all the expansion were also sold separately (yes DLCs, without the DL part, already existed in 199X, Origin was pretty notorious for selling its games in "kits" and then reselling the "enhanced" CD version later) and often buying the extension was the only way to get a "patch" for the base game.

While I definitely agree that some devs abuse of DLC, micro transactions and the fact that they can release a broken game and patch it later, things were not prefect either in the past, there was tons of short, broken, padded, incomplete games sold at full price too. And devs who patched their games for months/years and released expansion for free were more the exception than the rule.
Yeah, this is the downside of the "good old gamer" community, here on GOG -- they tend to be blinded by nostalgia and just force themselves to remember the past as this perfect time for video games, when developers and publishers weren't greedy, and we were surrounded by great games alone. I played a lot of shitty games, growing up in the late 1980's / early 90's. And I mean *A LOT*. For every Day of the Tentacle there were ten or more crappy titles. Sure, today a lot of bad games are being released, and you have to really know how and where to look for the few great ones, but these people seem to forget it wasn't any different in the past. Plus, we now have the internet to help us make an informed decision, back then, all we had, to decide whether a game was good or bad, was the cover art, some blurry screenshots in the back of the box, a very vaguely descriptive blurb or, if we were lucky enough, a TV commercial or a gaming magazine review (if you were lucky enough to live in a country that had gaming magazines in the 80's and 90's, which I certainly wasn't). I think we live in a way better era for gaming, than ever before, to be completely honest.

Also, I love how he talks about "30 hours minimum" being the "then standard for video games" -- implying it was the standard for *ALL* video games. Well, unless all video games back then were RPGs -- which they weren't, I played many more genres, and I'm not all that into RPGs, to begin with, or I'd be screwed if that had been the case--, I don't see how a point & click adventure, a side scrolling beat'em up, a platformer or an action-adventure (all games that I played while growing up) could go on for 30 hours (minimum) without overstaying their welcome. As for the prices matching this length, again, not true. I did pay roughly the equivalent of today's €50 for some long games, true, but I also paid the same amount of cash for very short games, back in the day. Not that I regret having done it for some of those titles, as I ended up loving them a lot, but saying all video games back in the day offered players a 30 hour (minimum) experience is a downright delusion, not to mention a lie. And, again, I can't stress this enough, they weren't all great -- or even just good --, either, sorry to burst your nostalgia bubble, buddies...
Dear Developers .

Try to convince me .
Why is your game worth the money ? Is there a demo ? Will it run on Phenom II X4 955 BE / 2GB HD7850 / 8GB RAM ?
Thank you .
Painted_Doll: Dear Developers .

Try to convince me .
Why is your game worth the money ? Is there a demo ? Will it run on Phenom II X4 955 BE / 2GB HD7850 / 8GB RAM ?
Thank you .
God damn I wrote a whole post and lost it. Gah!

I don't like "convincing" at this stage, to be honest. I'll say what I love about it:
- the silliness, the charm and the heart present in our encounters and our world. Our writers, LDs, artists etc have created a really fun, unique world, and I think this is what most people love about it.
- the procedural gen, because nobody has really attempted to do what we're doing and carve a linear story, with required features, into a procedural game. Most procedural games just randomly scatter things, or pick and choose - they don't try to segment things like we have. Still have a way to go on this, but I think it's really neat.

But to be honest, you should be asking existing players what they think. They'll have a more objective opinion than I will.

No demo, but you can always buy/refund if you don't like it.

The game will run on your PC. Your graphics card is around twice as powerful as our min spec, so you'll likely run reasonable well on medium settings. Please keep in mind that we're still in development, and performance will change (hopefully improve) as we approach release.

Edit: I just want to add that the reason I don't like to "convince" people is that I'd rather the game speaks for itself.
Post edited August 11, 2017 by Manywhelps
Painted_Doll: Dear Developers .

Try to convince me .
Thank you .
Manywhelps:
How much are they paying you for this job? :P
Seriously, it's not enough. XD

-Dave, we need you to get in there and get yelled at. One of us would do it but ummmmmm, we've all got uhhhhhhh, mono.....or something.
Post edited August 11, 2017 by tinyE
Manywhelps: God damn I wrote a whole post and lost it. Gah!

I don't like "convincing" at this stage, to be honest. I'll say what I love about it:
- the silliness, the charm and the heart present in our encounters and our world. Our writers, LDs, artists etc have created a really fun, unique world, and I think this is what most people love about it.
- the procedural gen, because nobody has really attempted to do what we're doing and carve a linear story, with required features, into a procedural game. Most procedural games just randomly scatter things, or pick and choose - they don't try to segment things like we have. Still have a way to go on this, but I think it's really neat.

But to be honest, you should be asking existing players what they think. They'll have a more objective opinion than I will.

No demo, but you can always buy/refund if you don't like it.

The game will run on your PC. Your graphics card is around twice as powerful as our min spec, so you'll likely run reasonable well on medium settings. Please keep in mind that we're still in development, and performance will change (hopefully improve) as we approach release.

Edit: I just want to add that the reason I don't like to "convince" people is that I'd rather the game speaks for itself.
Thanks for the reply .
Manywhelps: If you want to know about linux or anything else about our game, I check the WHF gog forums once / day - you just have to ask rather than assume.
Do you plan to publish some Kickstarter update when you'll begin Linux development? You posted a lot of development updates before, but nothing about Linux, so I assume you didn't start it yet. It would be nice to see that something is happening before it's actually out. It would be also quite interesting just from the perspective of your experiences with working on the Linux version (i.e. how smooth or not smooth it goes and etc.).
Post edited August 11, 2017 by shmerl
Well this game looked like something I would enjoy, but just thinking of how much entertainment I can get out of other great games with 51 bucks, this game would have to be pure flawless awesomesauce to be worth it.

I'm not against the idea of adjusting the price for the finished product versus the cheaper InDev product, but I really think 21 bucks is overdoing it. (Actually I think the best way to do this is to state the full price upfront, while putting a decent discount for purchases made while the game is under development.)

Good luck to the devs, but I don't think I'll ever play this game. Even if I want it. Pity
Manywhelps: If you want to know about linux or anything else about our game, I check the WHF gog forums once / day - you just have to ask rather than assume.
shmerl: Do you plan to publish some Kickstarter update when you'll begin Linux development? You posted a lot of development updates before, but nothing about Linux, so I assume you didn't start it yet. It would be nice to see that something is happening before it's actually out. It would be also quite interesting just from the perspective of your experiences with working on the Linux version (i.e. how smooth or not smooth it goes and etc.).
Yes, we'll be doing that. One of our programmers is going to get started on it soon, but he's been working on a feature that's been requested even more than linux has.
shmerl: Do you plan to publish some Kickstarter update when you'll begin Linux development? You posted a lot of development updates before, but nothing about Linux, so I assume you didn't start it yet. It would be nice to see that something is happening before it's actually out. It would be also quite interesting just from the perspective of your experiences with working on the Linux version (i.e. how smooth or not smooth it goes and etc.).
Manywhelps: Yes, we'll be doing that. One of our programmers is going to get started on it soon, but he's been working on a feature that's been requested even more than linux has.
If it was "world peace" it doesn't look like its working.

Multiplayer...its got to be multiplayer (with LAN).
Redfern: Yeah, right, price increase. And no trace of promised Linux support.
No Linux = No Money.
Manywhelps: We've said for two years that Linux support is likely on or shortly after the 1.0 release. Next week is not the 1.0 release.

You don't have to give us any money, but please don't spread misinformation. If you want to know about linux or anything else about our game, I check the WHF gog forums once / day - you just have to ask rather than assume.
Well, i'm sowwy. but we, GOG users and Linux users in general , had way too much of cases when we had Linux build promised and its all ended like
1) We a small team, its too difficult for us to port to Linux or support it
2) We have not enough Linux customers to work on it, its not profitable
3) GOG is too small market, we dont have such plans, Steam exclusive

Nuclear Throne, Overlord, Age of Wonders 3, bunch of Calypso games...do i need to list them all? Oh yes, need to mention exceptional case os Stainless Steel Games which used Kickstarted, made Linux Stretch Goal. reached it and ultimately ditched Linux customers completely just because they dont feel obligated to anything.

So nope, lets talk about "who spread what" when we see real Linux build real DRM-free here, on GOG.

Its not like if want to offend you but word and promises means nothing these days.
Post edited August 11, 2017 by Redfern
Redfern: Its not like if want to offend you but word and promises means nothing these days.
I don't think there is a reason to extrapolate bad behavior to all developers by default. There are those who do the above, but not everyone does. So let's be respectful. Compulsion so far never gave any indication they are going to mess up Linux release here.

Manywhelps: Yes, we'll be doing that. One of our programmers is going to get started on it soon, but he's been working on a feature that's been requested even more than linux has.
Thanks! Looking forward to that.
Post edited August 11, 2017 by shmerl
Manywhelps: God damn I wrote a whole post and lost it. Gah!
And thus have you been initiated, truly becoming one of us! :D
Redfern: Its not like if want to offend you but word and promises means nothing these days.
shmerl: I don't think there is a reason to extrapolate bad behavior to all developers by default. There are those who do the above, but not everyone does. So let's be respectful. Compulsion so far never gave any indication they are going to mess up Linux release here.

shmerl: Thanks! Looking forward to that.
Not supporting that post, however when the whole industry is driven by anti consumer policies it's very hard not to look at any of them with anything more than contempt. We will of course see in a few days, me I wouldn't be surprised if they announced that due to demand, they will release a special edition with soundtrack, or a fully online world version and crippled offline mode.