It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

htown1980: Well he didn't just turn to look, he did a 360, it's a bit more than the standard turn to look...
Are we really down to the point where we are discussing the amount of degrees one is allowed to turn, so we can decide whether this is normal behavior or something we should bash him for sexism over? No offense meant, but in general, this is getting silly.

dirtyharry50: Anyway, the bottom line is men need to be kind and respectful to women as the norm. That's how it ought to be and then articles like the Kotaku one wouldn't even be written.
I am not so sure about that. This article is actually a perfect example. The man did nothing but look at the lady after she walked by (she probably never even knew) for all of 3 seconds while continuing in the direction he was originally traveling in. Yet, articles like this ARE being made because the gaming community likes to get angry at things and create problems where there really isn't one.
Piranjade: Not saying that women are better than men (because they are not) , but you really cannot think of anything more damaging that another human being can do to you than paternity fraud?
hedwards: Stealing a portion of ones wages for the rest of their life, and possibly trapping them in a marriage they don't want, I'm not sure I can think of many things that will ruin a life more thoroughly than that.
Is that how the situation is in the US? You have to financially support your child and/or your ex- husband/wife for the rest of his/her life?
And as somebody who works in a divorce office my advice is: If you even consider just to stay in a relationship "because of the children" either fix the relationship or leave. Really.
Nobody can "trap" you in a marriage, either stay or leave, it's your choice.
And a child that you raised as your own isn't worth less just because it doesn't share a certain percentage of genes with you. (just saying as apparently the "fraud" is the problem and not the paternity as all the other problems would arise with a child that is genetically yours as well.)
timppu: But then... I can see many women's point of view that when they are in a profession and working, they'd probably want to be able to discuss with their (incl. male) co-workers and such, without feeling that everyone is trying to pick her up. It is simply unprofessional, and in many cases even demeaning. "Since you are a woman, you are not here only for your skills, but as an object of our desires.".
I can certainly understand and agree with this view, it's flat out disrespectful to suggest that you're only there because of your big tits. As far as the booth babe goes, I think the women should have complained about the real issue, the fact that multiple booths at that convention had specifically hired women as eye candy, sexual lures for horny hetero males. I guarantee that if there were no booth babes, there would be far fewer men assuming or asking if a woman happened to be there just for her looks. When other women are there to be treated as pieces of meat, chances rise for you to be treated that way also. Women need to try to get that sexist practice stopped.

Piranjade: Look the guy in the eye, smile, and say "This is too close for me and I don't like to be touched this way."
Sadly many women still haven't learned to do that. But it works like a charm in most cases. And if it doesn't you can still freak out, lash out and alert security.
Exactly. I can understand if girls can't do this, but women should be able to. I don't know why this message, this lesson, isn't getting out, but it needs to.

I found that to be an arrogant article. Why doesn't she take her own advice and be more aggressive herself?
hedwards: Stealing a portion of ones wages for the rest of their life, and possibly trapping them in a marriage they don't want, I'm not sure I can think of many things that will ruin a life more thoroughly than that.
Piranjade: Is that how the situation is in the US? You have to financially support your child and/or your ex- husband/wife for the rest of his/her life?
And as somebody who works in a divorce office my advice is: If you even consider just to stay in a relationship "because of the children" either fix the relationship or leave. Really.
Nobody can "trap" you in a marriage, either stay or leave, it's your choice.
And a child that you raised as your own isn't worth less just because it doesn't share a certain percentage of genes with you. (just saying as apparently the "fraud" is the problem and not the paternity as all the other problems would arise with a child that is genetically yours as well.)
Well, the situation in Germany and the US is quite different. In the US, it is enough for your wife to say "I am afraid of my husband" or "He touched our children" and bamm. You are banned from going to your house, banned from seeing your wife and kids. No proof needed. You just have basically become homeless until there is a court hearing which takes between 6 and 9 months to schedule. Nice, isn't it?
Hell, in Canada this is so common this is called "the silver bullet" and every family lawyer worth its salt will advise the women to use it to get the edge in court.
Also, here in Germany, you will not lose your drivers license or passport if you are not able to pay child support (at least I have yet to hear from such a case here) while this is quite common in the US and Canada. Isn't this great? Taking away a truck or taxi drivers license because he was not able to pay child support? Making it impossible for him to earn anything?
Luckily this is either impossible or very uncommon as far as I know here in Germany but in the US or Canada?

And on the topic.
I have just today read an article from a female author here in Germany who complained that many males do not wear shirts due to the heat here in Germany. She basically said that it is sexual harassment by the male because she has to look at a shirtless boy. Are you freaking kidding me?
So girl with shorts -> male looks -> sexual harassment by the man
Guy without a shirt -> female looks -> sexual harassment by the man
I really would like to know what that women was thinking about the women laying around my university
taking sunbaths without a top. I imagine her argument to go like this:
Women sunbathing on public ground topless -> male looks -> sexual harassment by the man.
Post edited June 23, 2013 by p90
p90: Well, the situation in Germany and the US is quite different. In the US, it is enough for your wife to say "I am afraid of my husband" or "He touched our children" and bamm. You are banned from going to your house, banned from seeing your wife and kids. No proof needed. You just have basically become homeless until there is a court hearing which takes between 6 and 9 months to schedule. Nice, isn't it?
Hell, in Canada this is so common this is called "the silver bullet" and every family lawyer worth its salt will advise the women to use it to get the edge in court.
It is possible to throw a violent partner out of the family home with the help of the police (it's called "Wegweisung") but to have it go on for such a long time the person remaining in the flat needs to prove the accusations.

p90: Also, here in Germany, you will not lose your drivers license or passport if you are not able to pay child support (at least I have yet to hear from such a case here) while this is quite common in the US and Canada. Isn't this great? Taking away a truck or taxi drivers license because he was not able to pay child support? Making it impossible for him to earn anything?
Luckily this is either impossible or very uncommon as far as I know here in Germany but in the US or Canada?
It's impossible in Germany. Even if there's a risk that one parent flees the country with the children he/she can keep her passport and there will just be a "border block" for the children.

p90: And on the topic.
I have just today read an article from a female author here in Germany who complained that many males do not wear shirts due to the heat here in Germany. She basically said that it is sexual harassment by the male because she has to look at a shirtless boy.
Yes, we have idiots here as well. I always hope for a moment that somebody is just being ironic but I get disappointed in most cases.
dirtyharry50: The article and pic bring up the general topic of men not acting well toward women and I simply commented on that. It runs no deeper. I had no other thoughts beyond what I expressed.
When you are responding to a specific article and example cited, you should probably be informed on them and realize your comment will be taken in context with them. I repeatedly said I was not mad at you or calling you names, I simply found your very lecture focused post to be annoying to some degree since you were lecturing all of us without even looking at what we are commenting on.

I'm not in a bad mood, nor is me raging about the article for 10 minutes something you need to lecture me on either, thanks.
Cheesecake.
hedwards: But, ultimately, women are far, far worse when it comes to men. There's nothing that a man can do that can come close to the damage that women do via paternity fraud.
I know of a few people who would disagree with you on that particular point.

I'm not saying that all women are angels, nor am I saying that women aren't guilty of horrible things such as paternity fraud. But let's not kid ourselves and say that one side has it worse off than others, or that one side is more guilty than the other. In the grand scheme of things, both men and women have had a lot to answer for, for the damage and pain done. It's time we stopped pointing fingers, and assigning blame, and start treating each other with some common decency.
CymTyr: Cheesecake.
Sexist pig. :P
hedwards: The way you put it, trivializes just how dangerous it can be approaching women. The response we get, is often times completely random and unpredictable. And a sexual harassment complaint, even with out merit, can easily wind up with us being out of work, or sued.
Really? People say that SO much, but I know so many people who have managed to start relationships with other people and not one person who has been accused of sexual harassment. Maybe the US is very different but I suspect not...

Also, I couldn't see in the article you linked where it was suggested that the man may end up hitting the woman. Can you direct me to a quote?

hedwards: But, ultimately, women are far, far worse when it comes to men. There's nothing that a man can do that can come close to the damage that women do via paternity fraud. Which as far as I can tell occurs in about 3-4% of pregnancies in the US according to the wikipedia.
Nothing? Really? How about what this guy did?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-11/violent-past-of-jill-meagher-killer-adrian-bayley-revealed/4745406
hedwards: But, ultimately, women are far, far worse when it comes to men. There's nothing that a man can do that can come close to the damage that women do via paternity fraud. Which as far as I can tell occurs in about 3-4% of pregnancies in the US according to the wikipedia.
Actually I have to disagree with you there. Although paternity fraud is very bad it can easily be exited by the man when a relationship fails as the child is not his.

Over here I know more then a few blokes who's partners, or a good time on the side, have deliberately fallen pregnant with their child just to try and stop them leaving. Then when the child is born they expect the men to pay for everything despite him having left her, often in the first week of the pregnancy.
The law over her always falls on the side of the woman, saying that the man must pay as he left her in the lerch. The courts do not care when he left, or if they were ever really together. He could have told her to get rid of it every day and she would still have more rights over him, and if he tries to get her to terminate the child then she can call in the police and claim he is trying to harm her.

One of the blokes I work with has in fact three (to my knowledge) separate children with separate women as the first 'fell' pregnant when she found out he was cheating on her, rather then just throw him out.
Then he got the babysitter pregnant who also kept the child, and then he got a girl at work pregnant when he started seeing her on the side.
The third girl kept the baby as she thought it would get him to leave his current 'unhappy relationship' and be with her.
So now he pays out on the children, while having next to nothing to do with any of them. The woman he decided to live with is more for convenience, as her parents pay for everything including their house. He spends all his spare time out with friends having more of a single life then I had when I was single.

The last is more a real show of how far most people have fallen and the desire for a full life of fun whilst taking no responsibility for anything they do. If any of those girls had thought about it for more then a minute then they should really have seen him as a useless berk and thrown him away, along with the unborn children so they could continue to live a 'young' life without the 'burden' of waiting for him to pay for their child. Now they all have his children with him spending his time elsewhere seeing only one of his children and probably getting more women pregnant all the time.
Yet for some reason, real chaves have some unknown level of sex appeal among lowly educated women over here leading to a generation that is almost entirely beyond help. We will probably have an epidemic of children without fathers before I even get to retire over here.

I watched the movie Idiocracy a few years back and was left with a depressing feeling that it really will end that way.
If Kotaku was a published magazine the only thing it would be good for is lining a cat box.
dirtyharry50: The article and pic bring up the general topic of men not acting well toward women and I simply commented on that. It runs no deeper. I had no other thoughts beyond what I expressed.
StingingVelvet: When you are responding to a specific article and example cited, you should probably be informed on them and realize your comment will be taken in context with them. I repeatedly said I was not mad at you or calling you names, I simply found your very lecture focused post to be annoying to some degree since you were lecturing all of us without even looking at what we are commenting on.

I'm not in a bad mood, nor is me raging about the article for 10 minutes something you need to lecture me on either, thanks.
I don't know. You seem a wee bit cranky to me. Anyway, I am not here to push your buttons and that "lecture" was not aimed at anyone here really. It was simply a statement about the way in which too many men do behave. if the shoe does not fit, there would be no need to take any of that personally and for the sake of clarity - that does not mean I think the shoe fits you. I mean that those words would hardly be a lecture to anyone unless the message was something they did not already get. I like to think most of the folks around here would simply see that as preaching to the choir, not a lecture directed at them personally.

The context was clear from your title and post. I did not need pictures and a Kotaku article expanding on the subject to understand the basic idea. Therefore, I skipped that fluff and just contributed what I thought about the way some men sometimes treat some women.

You know, if you are going to start threads like this you might be a little more tolerant of other people's ideas, opinions, views, etc. and especially not take them as some attack on you. And my comment that you could lighten up a little was hardly a lecture. Jesus man, take a deep breath and relax will you?
Post edited June 24, 2013 by dirtyharry50
assassin33: If Kotaku was a published magazine the only thing it would be good for is lining a cat box.
LOL! I guess maybe I am not missing anything after all. Who needs Kotaku anyway with the entertaining discourse found here on GOG even I do ignore context, links and just talk out my ass? It's all in good fun. :D
Post edited June 24, 2013 by dirtyharry50
Kurina: Look at the Kotaku article this thread is about. So a man turned around to look at a lady walking by. So what? He didn't turn around and start stalking or harassing her. Women take second looks at well, so I am certainly not seeing the problem. However, this made "gaming news" and is getting people up in arms again over sexism within the industry. It is skewing the topic and taking away from real issues.
Indeed. I think if some male muscular cosplayer in a barbarian outfit came in topless, then many women (and gay men no doubt) would be very keen to grab a glimpse. People seem to forget that human beings as a whole have a sexual nature and it's only normal to grab a glance at something that is attractive and/or dressed attractively.

What bothers me more about that GIF is that she appeared to be one of the infamous 'booth babes'. We have them at gamescom here in Germany as well every year (EA uses them to a considerable extent, Deep Silver did as well) and it's a fashion that really needs to die. The ladies that are hired for this obviously know what they're getting themselves into, but the whole idea that the industry thinks that gamers can be so easily swayed by a girl in very short, very tight shorts is quite frankly insulting.

It only serves to reinforce the idea that the industry continues to think that its primary customer base consists of spotty, nerdy teenagers.
Post edited June 24, 2013 by jamyskis