It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Sachys: good gubbins! - shame more platforms dont have GOG's idea when it comes to gifts. ive no doubt there are dozens of steam keys from bundles ive given out that are still unredeemed.
BillyMaysFan59: ROTFLMAO - you can't really tell unless you try redeeming them yourself
exactly
BillyMaysFan59: Exactly.

I saw nothing of that Gildor fellow ever since the old giveaway... even more evidence that he was just messing around. Glad that the game now finally found a home!
Sachys: good gubbins! - shame more platforms dont have GOG's idea when it comes to gifts. ive no doubt there are dozens of steam keys from bundles ive given out that are still unredeemed.
I'll happily test them for you...

:)
low rated
Rodzaju: I'll happily test them for you...

ive actually got a bunch of old text documents with codes in, so will at some point be uploading a megafile to dropbox to circulate among the regulars
Rodzaju: I'll happily test them for you...

Sachys: ive actually got a bunch of old text documents with codes in, so will at some point be uploading a megafile to dropbox to circulate among the regulars
I didn't think you would take me seriously!
Sachys: ive actually got a bunch of old text documents with codes in, so will at some point be uploading a megafile to dropbox to circulate among the regulars
Rodzaju: I didn't think you would take me seriously!
well if there are unredeemed codes, better they get used
BillyMaysFan59: Exactly.

I saw nothing of that Gildor fellow ever since the old giveaway... even more evidence that he was just messing around. Glad that the game now finally found a home!
I...*ahem*...I volunteer on testing this dangerous theory. Also, I think people are too lenient when it comes to giveaways. Nothing wrong with low requirements but when a user never posts outside giveaways, you know something is shady there.
Post edited June 29, 2014 by HijacK
Hmmm....

If a simple service was created (preferably in GoG but might be outside too), would anyone use it?

I could probably write one, the only thing i'd need is to work with GoG on being able to scan entered keys for what games are not redeemed, then regex and a page could filter through the information and show only relevant information... That would lower scammers as you'd have to offer something in return for a trade...

Course if you go more in depth it could warn you if two different GoG users try to offer the same key or if it's already been traded (course multiple games, some might not get redeemed so that's a lesser issue)...
rtcvb32: If a simple service was created...
It's a little surprising that something doesn't exist already. When I first went looking for trades I half expected to find a community built tool that would require each user to enter the code they were offering, display the content to the intended recipient and then transmit the actual codes once both users confirm the content is as expected. However, what if a scammer can still redeem their own code just as it is transmitted? would there still be enough value in merely checking for valid codes to build the tool? maybe that's why nothing exists - it really needs to be a GOG built tool to be ideal. Not sure if GOG have much incentive to do it, trading is tolerated but is it something GOG view as good for them?
Post edited July 04, 2014 by IanM
rtcvb32: If a simple service was created...
IanM: It's a little surprising that something doesn't exist already. When I first went looking for trades I half expected to find a community built tool that would require each user to enter the code they were offering, display the content to the intended recipient and then transmit the actual codes once both users confirm the content is as expected. However, what if a scammer can still redeem their own code just as it is transmitted? would there still be enough value in merely checking for valid codes to build the tool?
At the very least you can confirm they HAD a code. Better then empty promises and empty trust...
rtcvb32: At the very least you can confirm they HAD a code. Better then empty promises and empty trust...
Something is better than nothing :) Even if a tool isn't perfect, being able to screen out some (maybe even a majority?) of the scammers could be appreciated by many GOGers. If anyone has the skill and the willingness to build a tool I can only applaud the effort!
rtcvb32: At the very least you can confirm they HAD a code. Better then empty promises and empty trust...
IanM: Something is better than nothing :) Even if a tool isn't perfect, being able to screen out some (maybe even a majority?) of the scammers could be appreciated by many GOGers. If anyone has the skill and the willingness to build a tool I can only applaud the effort!
Alright. I've sent a ticket to GoG and we'll see if they would prefer to assist, do their own tool, or do nothing. The only issue i have implementing this solo is trying to confirm redeemed/valid codes while not logged in... (and an external site page pinging on codes won't have a cookie with me logged in)

I'll keep you up to date once i get a reply from them.
BillyMaysFan59: I'll do that right away... thanks. :-)
Sachys: after four months its not like they could have any cause to complain! ;)
Really, I don't think you have cause for complaint if you hadn't redeemed a key in four DAYS much less a month!
rtcvb32: Alright. I've sent a ticket to GoG...
of course they could drop a surprise on us and include this function in Galaxy!
IanM: of course they could drop a surprise on us and include this function in Galaxy!
Not right away.
Got a reply they are forwarding the message, which doesn't mean much...

As a note i've glanced over the 'redeem game' raw page and noticed it's almost entirely in JavaScript. Doing code checks in this way seems unlikely, for a external server. Although not impossible to get around, it wouldn't be worth my time and there would be too many headaches to consider the options (slow and buggy as they are).

I've started notes regarding the internal MySQL structure to support the game/code trading and an issue of code size comes up. There's 16 Alphanumeric characters. 36 combinations gives a log2 calculation of 5.169925, that multiplied by 16 gives the raw number of codes the system can support before they are all used. The data takes 83 bits to store. This means it will probably just be worked and stored as raw text (rather than get too complex into the reasoning behind it).

Just to go off on a tangent of this, 83 bits is HUGE. If you took say the population of people on earth, got each of them all the games on gog as individual keys (10 billion times 700), that's 7 Trillion keys (about 43bits). Assuming GoG managed to sell that many keys PER SECOND, it would take 34,800 YEARS to exhaust all the keys... Then they just add another 4 characters on and Viola! Now there's 1.6x million more keys than were just exhausted... and to exhaust those would take...

well i'm not going to live to see that day so that isn't an issue :P
Post edited July 12, 2014 by rtcvb32