It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

MarkoH01: Sorry that I have to say this but I really cannot understand how anybody (even a newbie on GOG) could see a logical explanation as to why he or she should give away his/her e-mail adress. We have the GOG chat here (and in other forums you have PM) and there is absolutely no need for another communication method just to send a few keys. So how could anybody fall for this approach?

I know that you are hurt right now because of the scam and I don't want to pour salt into the wounds but this is something I am absolutely curious about because I just don't understand.
I guess I just really wanted to complete my first trade, and didn't think enough.
MarkoH01: Sorry that I have to say this but I really cannot understand how anybody (even a newbie on GOG) could see a logical explanation as to why he or she should give away his/her e-mail adress. We have the GOG chat here (and in other forums you have PM) and there is absolutely no need for another communication method just to send a few keys. So how could anybody fall for this approach?

I know that you are hurt right now because of the scam and I don't want to pour salt into the wounds but this is something I am absolutely curious about because I just don't understand.
TheNerdyPlane: I guess I just really wanted to complete my first trade, and didn't think enough.
So you switched of logic for a moment? Yes, I think this is understandable. Thank you for the answer. Now that you know this thread you surely will be more careful next time and remember you cannot be too careful. So in case there is any doubt just ask here. This community is a really helpful one if you let them help.
MarkoH01: So you switched of logic for a moment? Yes, I think this is understandable. Thank you for the answer. Now that you know this thread you surely will be more careful next time and remember you cannot be too careful. So in case there is any doubt just ask here. This community is a really helpful one if you let them help.
Yes, thanks. As soon as I came across this thread (even though I had known for a few days before), I could tell that I had definitely been scammed.
Fairfox: S'tricky, but I guesses frooom a business point o' view it's wise for GOGie to have a hands-off approach in this instance (an' only this one. They're terri-bad in other areas they should be investin' in); they're just not as big as Steamie an' don't have teh funds/capacity to turn trading into a lucrative, moolah-makin' exercise. You could probs saaay teh downside to taht is ill-will/bad publicity, but they don't fo' real seem to have cared thus far, so I doubt it's doin' much harm to 'em. Hey ho.
Man, I can't tell if you're genuinely from the South or just try overly hard to appear like that.

My guess...

Is that you're phony!

Jk. But in my experience as Customer Service, people from the South were the most terrible at expressing themselves, describing the problem, or typing correctly in general.
Tauto: fuck it,I can't be bothered with a bunch of wimps,sheep,beggars,scabs.
Wait, you're...GIVING UP?! That's not the Tauto I know!
That makes me kinda sad...
zeogold: Wait, you're...GIVING UP?! That's not the Tauto I know!
That makes me kinda sad...
Tauto: You all just spam and delete without having the guts to say something.
...no, no, don't try to make me feel any better...you've already broken my heart...
Tauto: Don't be heart broken as I'll fight on to the death.
80 years old Tauto: "Ah ha, I'm still posting here daily! You'll never stop me, I'm strong!"
Some dude using a script: "What? Oh s**t, I forgot to turn off the auto-spam-report in 2017!"
XD
Post edited January 11, 2017 by phaolo
low rated
deleted
Fairfox: What does taht have to do with this threadie? Or have you backed away from your hilar 'poor, put-upon' act for teh Community Manager an' are just outright trollin' again in really lazy, obvs wais? Zzz.
Tauto: You want to commute with me then write properly,Dimwit.
com·mute
kəˈmyo͞ot/
verb
verb: commute; 3rd person present: commutes; past tense: commuted; past participle: commuted; gerund or present participle: commuting

travel some distance between one's home and place of work on a regular basis.
"she commuted from Westport in to Grand Central Station"
synonyms: travel to and from work, travel to and fro, travel back and forth
"they commute by train"
reduce (a judicial sentence, especially a sentence of death) to one less severe.
"the governor recently commuted the sentences of dozens of women convicted of killing their husbands"
synonyms: reduce, lessen, lighten, shorten, cut, attenuate, moderate
"his sentence was commuted"

Her typing looks flawless when compared to your command of the English language. :P
Post edited January 21, 2017 by tinyE
TheNerdyPlane: Thanks both of you. Instead of changing the passwords, I'll change my email address to my second email, and not give it away! But only a few of the codes I have are actually from HB or anything like that.

That's more or less the thing. People whine when I'm in here and point it out, but much of what people are bitching about isn't illegal, it's bad manners. And naming and shaming trolls does nothing to sort out the problem as evidenced by the length of time this thread has been active.

If people don't want to be scammed, it's pretty easy to avoid. Don't do business with people you don't know. It's not rocket science and we know that GOG isn't going to do anything about these things unless it's clearly a technical problem. The fact that people still seem to expect that Mr. Gog is going to step in is rather astonishing to me. The time to have done that would have been years ago.

And as for the email, considering how easy it is to break into an email account with just knowledge of the name, it's a really bad idea to be giving that out to people that you don't know, especially if you're suspicious of their motives. There's all sorts of fun things that can be done even if you're not going to break in.

Perhaps it's my age, but the whole idea that we're not primarily responsible for our own safety online is something that makes precisely zero sense. There's relatively little that Mr. Gog can do, especially when things cross out of gog.com and into other areas of the internet.

Sigh.
hedwards: Perhaps it's my age, but the whole idea that we're not primarily responsible for our own safety online is something that makes precisely zero sense. There's relatively little that Mr. Gog can do, especially when things cross out of gog.com and into other areas of the internet.
Maybe GOG can do nothing about it, but why should that prevent people from helping one another out? As intelligent as people are, even the best of us are susceptible to the occasional mistake sometimes.
hedwards: Perhaps it's my age, but the whole idea that we're not primarily responsible for our own safety online is something that makes precisely zero sense. There's relatively little that Mr. Gog can do, especially when things cross out of gog.com and into other areas of the internet.
zeogold: even the best of us are susceptible to the occasional mistake sometimes.
Speek for yorself.

I don't make mystakes.
low rated
zeogold: even the best of us are susceptible to the occasional mistake sometimes.
tinyE: Speek for yorself.

I don't make mystakes.
everyone makes them
low rated
zeogold: Maybe GOG can do nothing about it, but why should that prevent people from helping one another out? As intelligent as people are, even the best of us are susceptible to the occasional mistake sometimes.
Look at this thread and the next thread. Has any of this actually helped anybody in a way that some common sense wouldn't have?

Some of the reports are credible and some of them are shady. A lot of the complaints in here assume knowledge that the accuser can't have and in some case it's at best a matter of decorum.

All this thread serves to do is provide trolls with a score board. The strategy hasn't worked in the past and there's no reason to believe that it will work in the future.

Anybody who really cares about this sort of thing has options, it's just that they mostly involve not trading with people they don't know and accepting that once a gift is given, that there's no control over what the person does with their property.

Shy of somebody actually going out and building the theoretical escrobot, there isn't really a solution to this problem that doesn't require people to exercise significant amounts of caution.

Yes, it does suck, but realistically, naming and shaming has had zero result in decreasing this problems and probably increased the incentive to use scams as a means of trolling.
tinyE: Speek for yorself.

I don't make mystakes.
kaylayuhos19: everyone makes them
Eyen Kaptayn Obwious!