It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

hedwards: The thing is stolen is stolen. Doesn't matter whether you gave it away or not, if you took the key and didn't hold up your end of the deal, it's still stealing.
SimonG: Technically it is not stealing but .... ah who cares, that guy is an asshole and it was illegal.

This is really some fraudulent stuff that goes beyond simple trolling and bullshitting. GOG should send the IP to the authorities if only to scare him (depending the country he is from, of course). But if he is some spoiled brat from Europe or the US it will only take a single phonecall from the authorities to get the name and address of him.
Well, yeah, if I we were to get really technical about it, there's probably a half dozen different things which apply to the situation.

Stealing is more descriptive of the effect than the applicable charges.
kuzakista tried to get me the other day minutes after putting up Bards Tale on Steam for trade, alarm bells went off as I hadn't recalled seeing them on the forum. They said they used GOG but didn't bother with the games and had come by a code for the game I wanted.

So I requested that the code for the game I was after first and foremost due to unscrupulous users then add me as friend on Steam so I can send the game as a gift.

No surprise that I never heard back from them and I still have my extra code for Bards Tale on Steam sitting in my inventory thankfully.

Its a shame that this is happening so much lately, puts doubt in everyones mind and ruins it for genuine new users.
Asbeau: Did a trade with this guy earlier, gave my MacGuffin's Curse key for his Post Mortem key - haven't heard from him since.
If it's a Steam key, I suggest contacting Steam Support, quoting the key, and informing them that the key has been used fraudulently.

shadowmirage: The only real solution I see to this is to trade only with people you know/have talked to on the forums, or ask the person you are trading with to link you to a thread where they have posted so that you can find out more about them. Unfortunately, this puts new users at a significant disadvantage. From now on, I'll ask people to send me their keys first, unless I know that they are trustworthy. At least I have people who can vouch for me in the trading thread.
I did this with aer1994, who I hadn't heard of and couldn't find on the forums. Given his response, I'd say he's untrustworthy.

hedwards: I would assume that it's a violation of the ToS to impersonate other users. So, I guess the death penalty applies...
ToS? I would assume it constitutes a crime in most places; I've sent TheEnignmaticT a message about it.

shadowmirage: Oh, looks like my would-be scammer is haunting me ;).
You know, I've recently discovered there's a "Block and Report" option in PMs.

Theta_Sigma: He said he wanted to trade Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath for my key for Resonance. I figured fair trade, and (stupidly on good faith) gave my Steam Key for the game and was told by them that it was invalid (to which I sent an email to Dave about the matter). Only to find out here, that it turned out to be the scammer using a fake name of a legit user (I doubt I'm mistaken since the scammer posting here has the same name as the PM).
Contact Steam Support, as noted above.

EDIT:

And another. K_1269. is impersonating K_1269 - image here.

Suggestion: After asking someone for a post on the forums, click the PM link on that post. If it doesn't show the PM thread that you've been talking in, report the person who's contacted you.
Post edited October 28, 2012 by Damuna
so exciting stuff DOES go on in this board. I am pleasantly surprised.
Piemaster: so exciting stuff DOES go on in this board. I am pleasantly surprised.
no, it's just one stupid kid trying to scam people for some cheap games.
Damuna: EDIT:

Suggestion: After asking someone for a post on the forums, click the PM link on that post. If it doesn't show the PM thread that you've been talking in, report the person who's contacted you.
That had me going. I didn't realise the dot at the end of the name. Shocking!
I've just been scammed by K_1269.

We have a user with the same name here, just noticed without a full stop after their name, scammer has used the same avatar. I actually thought it was the user with the rep.

For gods sake, I am losing interest in this community, I am on disability, had bought 2 copies of Bards Tale to do a competition, one copy was won and the other sitting in my inventory. Not its been taken be a social engineer.

Everyone needs to watch out, these arseholes are now using legitimate users avatars :(
Damuna: EDIT:

gameon: That had me going. I didn't realise the dot at the end of the name. Shocking!
Yes, and I think dipsal was trapped too : Ninja Giveaway
iainmet: I've just been scammed by K_1269.

We have a user with the same name here, just noticed without a full stop after their name, scammer has used the same avatar. I actually thought it was the user with the rep.

For gods sake, I am losing interest in this community, I am on disability, had bought 2 copies of Bards Tale to do a competition, one copy was won and the other sitting in my inventory. Not its been taken be a social engineer.

Everyone needs to watch out, these arseholes are now using legitimate users avatars :(
It may be because people (such as myself) said to only trade with people you know. And that scammer has adapted like a disease to modify their scamming methods.

I would now say, if you have friends on steam, stick to trading with them! You know they are the real deal!
iainmet: I've just been scammed by K_1269.

gameon: It may be because people (such as myself) said to only trade with people you know. And that scammer has adapted like a disease to modify their scamming methods.

I would now say, if you have friends on steam, stick to trading with them! You know they are the real deal!
Yeah, I picked up on the scammer name the other day.

Now the bastards are getting clever and manipulating people

Just sent a PM :

"There is a user that is socially engineering on this site, take a look at the scammers thread. You guys should be able to see their I.P address and ban it from GOG, they are ripping people off with bogus trades.

I have just been scammed and don't appreciate that GOG are not actively doing anything to block the same user creating numerous accounts to scan legitimate users here at GOG who have spare copies of games to trade with other users.

These scammers have started using the same avatars as legitimate users but putting an odd fullstop or space in their username to trick people into thinking they are a decent GOG user.

I am on disability and can't afford to be ripped off by illegitimate users of your site.

Check out the thrtead :

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/known_scammers

This is happening WAY TO MUCH now for GOG not investigating and doing an I.P block"

to JudasIscariot
Post edited October 28, 2012 by iainmet
Scammer just tried it with me. Hilarious since as I state in my Classifieds post, I've traded with the real K_1269 before. So of course the scammer shows up separately on the PM list.
Attachments:
Scammers tend to choose places where it's easy to scam with little effort. I know this isn't the greatest solution, but I'd recommend using other sites/communities to trade at. GOG seems to be easily exploitable considering you can't view profiles in PMs on here, and there's a lack of detailed info for each user (other than rep/avatar/username/join date).

I'm sure there are a LOT of legit users here, but to me it doesn't seem like it's worth the risk when the risk is minimal on other sites compared to GOG.
ABH20: Scammer just tried it with me. Hilarious since as I state in my Classifieds post, I've traded with the real K_1269 before. So of course the scammer shows up separately on the PM list.
I thought it was the genuine K_1269

I didn't notice the full stop in the name, hopefully with the PM to the blue guys they will do a bit of investigating and manage to do an I.P ban on them
In the spirit of that splendid "shaking-pants" Steam thread:

So let's say one of the gog'ers got a hold of some IP addresses of that original scammer dude, Anasto, from 2010, February 2012, and July/August 2012, all in the same range supplied by a cable TV and net provider in Portugal, and say that ISP had a "report any unaccepted behavior" email address.
Could Anasto get into trouble?
MoP: In the spirit of that splendid "shaking-pants" Steam thread:

So let's say one of the gog'ers got a hold of some IP addresses of that original scammer dude, Anasto, from 2010, February 2012, and July/August 2012, all in the same range supplied by a cable TV and net provider in Portugal, and say that ISP had a "report any unaccepted behavior" email address.
Could Anasto get into trouble?
Yes, they will be able to see who had that I.P address at the specific time, if it is someone that is in a different country to you then you can report them to Interpol and their local country law enforcement. I believe it will fall under the category obtaining goods by deception.

You know, thinking about this a bit more in depth now that I have calmed down a bit. GOG will be losing sales due to these scammers.

Say someone legitimate has something on Steam I am wanting and they request something from GOG. So you get in contact with the user and offer to purchase said game to trade. Trade goes through fine all is good and everyone happy.

At the minute though, due to this scamming happening frequently GOG will be losing a small amount of sales due to the conduct of a minority.
Post edited October 28, 2012 by iainmet