It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Back in Dec 2013 I traded a few Steam keys to user "[redacted; see bottom of comment]" after I read this post in the Classifieds thread. In return for Risk of Rain and Mercenary Kings on Steam they got me the first three Prince of Persia games on GOG.

I naively expected I could trust them because they had highish reputation (>150). Today I noticed the games are gone and contacted support about it. JuriJ informed me that

Games were removed from your account because payments for those orders were charged back and gift codes were cancelled. If you have purchased from that user any other codes they most probably were removed as well.
Just a quick heads-up for anyone who might feel inclined to enter into similar faith-based trades.

As an aside, I'm somewhat pissed that GOG didn't even deem it necessary to inform me of the games being removed from my account. No mail, no site message, no nothing.

I have no idea when it happened but I'm pretty sure I saw the games in my library for several months after. I didn't even know you can charge back that long after payment.

TL;DR: Watch out for charge-back scams; they're no longer constrained to Steam trading.

Edit: Removed the user name. The user was careless in obtaining the keys but I believe they didn't expect the keys to be revoked and they didn't mean to mislead or scam. I'm in a conversation with them to work out a solution. Further updates in a later comment.
Post edited October 29, 2014 by skirtish
Better yet, why didn't they banned the user since he charged back...
Deepquickhunter: deepdig / justaquickie / moonlight_/ walli13 / Jimmke / catboxiee / unknownLOOTER / John_M ---- Wakalo

!!!!!Chappe,Ma_D21,Freak92 and siulebuo are highly positive!!!!!
siulebuo: Hmmmm...
So this is the reason of my low rep...
Sorry, I don't understand why I am listed here... I was just trying to make a start in the forum.... Right, I took part in GiveAways but I also contributed to other threads. But I think it's a bit harsh to judge me from my first posts :-(.

Edit: I just saw I am not listed in the original post anymore. But I still think it's a bit sad.
Post edited October 28, 2014 by Freak92
Freak92: Sorry, I don't understand why I am listed here... I was just trying to make a start in the forum.... Right, I took part in GiveAways but I also contributed to other threads. But I think it's a bit harsh to judge me from my first posts :-(.
At worse you may have some issues doing trades here (but I don't know if that many traders follow this thread). And it's really a worst case scenario, because given your rep, people should just make you trade first and they'd be covered. Regarding giveaways, people don't really pay attention to this in general.
If you start participating in the forum, all of this will soon be forgotten.
Potzato: At worse you may have some issues doing trades here (but I don't know if that many traders follow this thread). And it's really a worst case scenario, because given your rep, people should just make you trade first and they'd be covered. Regarding giveaways, people don't really pay attention to this in general.
If you start participating in the forum, all of this will soon be forgotten.
Thanks for your answer :-). I absolutely plan to participate regularly in the forum. So I am relieved that's all.
skirtish: Back in Dec 2013 I traded a few Steam keys to user "23rd" after I read this post in the Classifieds thread. In return for Risk of Rain and Mercenary Kings on Steam they got me the first three Prince of Persia games on GOG.

I naively expected I could trust them because they had highish reputation (>150). Today I noticed the games are gone and contacted support about it. JuriJ informed me that

Games were removed from your account because payments for those orders were charged back and gift codes were cancelled. If you have purchased from that user any other codes they most probably were removed as well.
skirtish: Just a quick heads-up for anyone who might feel inclined to enter into similar faith-based trades.

As an aside, I'm somewhat pissed that GOG didn't even deem it necessary to inform me of the games being removed from my account. No mail, no site message, no nothing.

I have no idea when it happened but I'm pretty sure I saw the games in my library for several months after. I didn't even know you can charge back that long after payment.

TL;DR: Watch out for charge-back scams; they're no longer constrained to Steam trading.
Wow, that's really messed up! Especially now when there isn't even an email notifying you upon redeeming codes :(
The only way to make sure your library is intact is to result to tools such as periodically posting your game list to your Profile and use [url=http://www.gog.com/forum/general/barefoot_essentials_2_gogcom_enhancement]Baerfoot Essentials to compare* it with the one shown at your Account

* Does Barefoot have an auto compare with GogWiki option with notification about the changes?
Actually here's another proposal for Barefoot: Mark (in pm) people appearing in the known scammers list in the GogWiki
high rated
skirtish: Back in Dec 2013 I traded a few Steam keys to user "23rd" after I read this post in the Classifieds thread. In return for Risk of Rain and Mercenary Kings on Steam they got me the first three Prince of Persia games on GOG.

I naively expected I could trust them because they had highish reputation (>150). Today I noticed the games are gone and contacted support about it. JuriJ informed me that Just a quick heads-up for anyone who might feel inclined to enter into similar faith-based trades.

I've just cross-posted this in the trading thread with a link to your post.
skirtish: Back in Dec 2013 I traded a few Steam keys...

Today I noticed the games are gone and contacted support about it.
WTF GOG?! That's pretty unacceptable if you ask me. That trade happened nearly a year ago / the games were purchased a year ago. You, yourself only offer a 30 day money back guarantee (and even that is if the games were never downloaded): why doesn't this apply to everyone else too? What's stopping everyone from charging back every single gift they've ever purchased, for as long as GOG has existed?

The least you could do is gift the poor fellow his games back. After that, you could implement a mechanism that prevents charge back on such old payments. And finally, and I can't stress enough: give your CUSTOMERS a clear notice, if they've had their game suddenly pulled! Jesus Christ! They shouldn't have to compare and update their shelf manually on a 3rd party GOG wiki!!

Oh and one last thing: stop turning your back on longtime scammers and at least try to do something about the matter! Implement more bans. Hell, implement IP bans if it's at all possible. Do something, before the whole site turns into a Wild West theater perfect for scammers.
Come on guys, we don't even know when the games got pulled out from his shelf. He said he only noticed today, but that doesn't mean they weren't missing for a long time. I mean, how often do people check if nothing is missing from their shelf? Of course, GOG should have at least warned him, that much I can agree on.

I'm not too concerned about the trades I made so far, but I will be extra careful in the future for sure.
Post edited October 28, 2014 by Tannath
Messed up stories I read about here, but good thing is this thread is trying to combat the greedy scammers and give advice to people who trade. Nice list from mrkgnao & mrmarioanonym, +1
Tannath: Of course, GOG should have at least warned him, that much I can agree on.
^This.

Otherwise, I agree that gog can't be responsible for traded codes, but I really think that giftcodes shouldn't be refundable to the buyer once used (the redeemer being eligible for refund is a complete different issue).

Dear gog, you have such a nice refund policy, don't let people abuse the system. This case should have been obvious (or I really didn't understand the what and why -> [LATE EDIT : thanks to EnforcerSunWoo I understand how I was wrong])
Post edited October 28, 2014 by Potzato
Tannath: Of course, GOG should have at least warned him, that much I can agree on.
Potzato: ^This.

Otherwise, I agree that gog can't be responsible for traded codes, but I really think that giftcodes shouldn't be refundable to the buyer once used (the redeemer being eligible for refund is a complete different issue).

Dear gog, you have such a nice refund policy, don't let people abuse the system. This case should have been obvious (or I really didn't understand the what and why)
You do know that it was a charge back with a credit card don't you? GOG really cannot do anything about that. Also the scammer could only run that scam for so very long before it is caught anyway. It does borderline on credit card fraud... so it is much more severe if someone is caught at it.
DProject: WTF GOG?! That's pretty unacceptable if you ask me. That trade happened nearly a year ago / the games were purchased a year ago. You, yourself only offer a 30 day money back guarantee (and even that is if the games were never downloaded): why doesn't this apply to everyone else too? What's stopping everyone from charging back every single gift they've ever purchased, for as long as GOG has existed?

The least you could do is gift the poor fellow his games back. After that, you could implement a mechanism that prevents charge back on such old payments. And finally, and I can't stress enough: give your CUSTOMERS a clear notice, if they've had their game suddenly pulled! Jesus Christ! They shouldn't have to compare and update their shelf manually on a 3rd party GOG wiki!!

Oh and one last thing: stop turning your back on longtime scammers and at least try to do something about the matter! Implement more bans. Hell, implement IP bans if it's at all possible. Do something, before the whole site turns into a Wild West theater perfect for scammers.
What you ask is not as easy as you think. The chargeback is there by law (I think is 120 days max, but may be different by country). It is a problem that all companies have. The buyer can chargeback as long as this. All you can do about it is to denounce it so the customer have to pay back (with an extra fine) if you are lucky. Do you think is this feasible for a 20$ payment? And you have to deal with international laws.
About IP bans, it is a bad idea. There are dynamic IP. Probably you have one. What do you think if tomorrow your IP change to one banned for scamming? The scammers know how to change his IP (or hide it).
EnforcerSunWoo: You do know that it was a charge back with a credit card don't you? GOG really cannot do anything about that.
Oh ok, the idea took its time to get up there. I knew there had to be something I wasn't getting right.
That sucks.
To clarify, I don't mean to stir up shit. In hindsight, I blame mostly myself. I was generally well aware of the risks in trading as I'd had ample time to ease into it when trading first came up on Steam and people were getting scammed left and right. I always wondered how naive a person needs to be to not be aware of the inherent risk, to which I now know the answer: about as naive as I. Why I assumed GOG would be exempt from these risks stays something of a mystery to me.

Anyway the main reason for posting here was to warn others (who may be similarly starry-eyed) that of course GOG trading suffers the same or even greater risks because there are no atomic trade transactions, and that charge-backs are a thing.

My only complaint towards GOG is that they apparently don't bring game removals to the account owner's attention. That really is the least I'd expect.
Post edited October 28, 2014 by skirtish