It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

StingingVelvet: They seemed to put a LOT of focus on how the villain has a real point, and is just addressing it the wrong way (i.e. too angry), which is a political statement I feel they were trying to make.
The villains plan is such a mess I'm surprised the movie wasn't called out on it by most reviewers. I mean... what even is the plan? Who is he sending the guns to? "The black people"? The movie seems to operate under some weird assumption that black people around the world are all members of some underground militant organisation just waiting for a shipment of guns to rise up in a violent revolt. It's insane. I know there are a lot of legitimate problems and hardship black people face in the US, butimplying they are all just waiting for a tactical advantage to overthrow the government is mad, stupid and kinda horrible. And if the reponse is "it's a superhero movie for kids, don't think so hard about it", isn't that a terrible message to send to kids?

StingingVelvet: I think the setting would have done more to distinguish it if they showed more than a field, a waterfall and a couple interior sets... especially since they all look fake as hell.
This, plus everything looks so generic. It's just this "generic futuristic city" design, that could as well be used for any setting. I mean, even a matte painting from Star Trek TNG has more of a distinct design than Wakanda in this 200 million $ movie.
This, plus everything looks so generic. It's just this "generic futuristic city" design, that could as well be used for any setting. I mean, even a matte painting from Star Trek TNG has more of a distinct design than Wakanda in this 200 million $ movie.
I haven't seen Black Panther but Marvel's movies are generally painfully bland in their production design. I think there's a theory that although it would make sense to base everything more closely off the comics, especially since Kirby and Ditko had such distinctive styles, Marvel is scared of potentially giving any acknowledgement beyond brief name-checks to the artists or their families because of the constant threat of ownership lawsuits. So we get generic sci-fi stuff instead.
I've just watched Kuroko's Basketball: Last Game

It's a great movie. The ending is quite sad for me as I think it marks the end of the series which has been going up to 3 seasons. If you guys are interested, you could start by watching the 3 seasons of the series and then proceed with the movie. As for the movie itself, it's really fun with the pace being increased a little than what the series would usually go for. What I mean is that if you've seen some scenes from the anime, you'd notice that the pace of some of the matches may be slower than the others where the games would be mixed with the constant dialogues that the characters have to say. But in this movie, knowing that the movie only lasts for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, the pace of the game had to be made a lot faster. That way, you'll be able to witness many great moves that the talented animators have put their full efforts into making this movie. It's GREAT!!!
Post edited May 22, 2018 by Vingry
Breja: The villains plan is such a mess I'm surprised the movie wasn't called out on it by most reviewers. I mean... what even is the plan? Who is he sending the guns to? "The black people"? The movie seems to operate under some weird assumption that black people around the world are all members of some underground militant organisation just waiting for a shipment of guns to rise up in a violent revolt. It's insane. I know there are a lot of legitimate problems and hardship black people face in the US, butimplying they are all just waiting for a tactical advantage to overthrow the government is mad, stupid and kinda horrible. And if the reponse is "it's a superhero movie for kids, don't think so hard about it", isn't that a terrible message to send to kids?
The U.S. is going through a kind of neo-segregation right now, in my view. When I was a teen we were taught to basically ignore skin color, to treat everyone the same and basically "get over it." Today it's the opposite, kids are taught to celebrate "blackness" and whatnot, to see them as having a different culture and background you should respect and also stay away from ("cultural appropriation!!!"). Personally I hate it, it reminds me of the kind of "separate but equal" segregation policies I learned were evil as a kid. It also inspires Whites to start acting like their own group as well and push policies which benefit them, bordering on White nationalism at times.

I had the same problem with Get Out, another movie which got praise recently for how it handled racial issues. To me that movie's message was that he never should have "mixed worlds" to begin with, and there's a scene toward the end that shows the young White girl's "real self" and she suddenly likes all these cliche White girl things. It has the same message of us being in two different worlds, which I hate. In a country as diverse as the U.S. is you have to bring people together, not put them in camps. It's making things worse.

But whatever, I can't control culture. Only rant about it online.

unisol2k1: Last movie i watched is THE DAY OF THE JACKAL. The Original. Great Movie, very highly recommended. Better than the remake, ice cold, lots of tension build up and believable characters.
It's a lovely film, though I feel the ending is perhaps slightly anticlimactic. I got the Arrow blu-ray a few months ago and it was a great re-watch, highly recommended.
Post edited May 22, 2018 by StingingVelvet
Deadpool 2

One of those rare, precious times when the sequel is actually better than the first movie. I liked the first one, I had fun, but I also think it was overrated. There wasn't really that much to it. This one is still funny, but less crude for the sake of crudeness. It's a bit more serious, not enough to ruin the fun, but enough to make the whole thing more enjoyable because it feels like there is some actuall weight to it beneath the humor. Not much, but enough. And the humor also is better, a bit more clever, often crude, but sometimes also more subtle. And the action is better I think, the whole convoy sequence is quite impressive (and the X-Force parashooting into action just before that is the funniest thing in both movies).

Josh Brolin is great as Cable (and I wasn't really a fan of the casting initially), as is Julian Dennison as Russel (who I knew would be great thanks to Hunt for the Wilderpeople where he absolytely shined). I think my only complaint is Domino. I know some ass is going to call me racist because of it, but it's not a race thing. I just think that her comic book design is much more visually interesting, with the snow-white skin and black "eye patch". But that's a minor nitpick.

All in all, a very fun movie. I don't think I'll ever really feel like rewatching the first one, but I'm definately going to watch this one again.
Breja: Deadpool 2

One of those rare, precious times when the sequel is actually better than the first movie. I liked the first one, I had fun, but I also think it was overrated. There wasn't really that much to it. This one is still funny, but less crude for the sake of crudeness. It's a bit more serious, not enough to ruin the fun, but enough to make the whole thing more enjoyable because it feels like there is some actuall weight to it beneath the humor. Not much, but enough. And the humor also is better, a bit more clever, often crude, but sometimes also more subtle. And the action is better I think, the whole convoy sequence is quite impressive (and the X-Force parashooting into action just before that is the funniest thing in both movies).

Josh Brolin is great as Cable (and I wasn't really a fan of the casting initially), as is Julian Dennison as Russel (who I knew would be great thanks to Hunt for the Wilderpeople where he absolytely shined). I think my only complaint is Domino. I know some ass is going to call me racist because of it, but it's not a race thing. I just think that her comic book design is much more visually interesting, with the snow-white skin and black "eye patch". But that's a minor nitpick.

All in all, a very fun movie. I don't think I'll ever really feel like rewatching the first one, but I'm definately going to watch this one again.
How was Brad Pitt? :D
tinyE: How was Brad Pitt? :D
This was his best role ever. And I am dead serious.
tinyE: How was Brad Pitt? :D
Breja: This was his best role ever. And I am dead serious.
Well, he did it for a cup of coffee. True. :P
Breja: This was his best role ever. And I am dead serious.
tinyE: Well, he did it for a cup of coffee. True. :P
That's still more than his acting is usually worth :D
tinyE: Well, he did it for a cup of coffee. True. :P
Breja: That's still more than his acting is usually worth :D
I thought he was good in Fight Club and Kalifornia, and Se7en.

Everything else, I agree with you.
Breja: Deadpool 2

Saw this one yesterday, and while I agree with many of the points you make, I personally liked the first one better. I found D2 had pacing issues for me and I also felt the writing was inconsistent. But you and I rarely agree on superhero movies (at least the Marvel ones), so I guess it's no surprise we're a bit opposed on this one. ;)

Still, I was pleased enough with the movie and felt it was worth the money.
GR00T: Saw this one yesterday, and while I agree with many of the points you make, I personally liked the first one better. I found D2 had pacing issues for me and I also felt the writing was inconsistent. But you and I rarely agree on superhero movies (at least the Marvel ones), so I guess it's no surprise we're a bit opposed on this one. ;)
Deadpool isn't Marvel. I mean, he's from Marvel comics, but it's not a Marvel Studios movie. Yet. But yeah, we usually arrive at this weird point with superhero movies where we agree on many points, but still disagree on the overall picture :D

Solo's next, I'll probably see it either Sunday or on some weekday after that. We'll see if we can be in more of an agreement (or more of a disagreement) on that one.
Breja: Deadpool isn't Marvel. I mean, he's from Marvel comics, but it's not a Marvel Studios movie. Yet. But yeah, we usually arrive at this weird point with superhero movies where we agree on many points, but still disagree on the overall picture :D
True, but I was referring to the Marvel superhero movies (I count Deadpool since it's a Marvel comic hero). we seem to almost always disagree on them. Although we seem to generally agree on the DC movies.

Breja: Solo's next, I'll probably see it either Sunday or on some weekday after that. We'll see if we can be in more of an agreement (or more of a disagreement) on that one.
I'll likely see it this weekend - probably Saturday. I held little hope for it until I saw the trailer in the theater a while ago. After that I felt it at least looked watchable. We'll see. :)
Breja: Deadpool isn't Marvel. I mean, he's from Marvel comics, but it's not a Marvel Studios movie. Yet. But yeah, we usually arrive at this weird point with superhero movies where we agree on many points, but still disagree on the overall picture :D
GR00T: True, but I was referring to the Marvel superhero movies (I count Deadpool since it's a Marvel comic hero). we seem to almost always disagree on them. Although we seem to generally agree on the DC movies.
But do we actually disagree about most of Marvel adaptations that are not from Marvel Studios? I ask, because I legit don't know. Just out of curiosity, let's do a very quick rundown (if you don't mind)

X-Men- very good
X2- freaking great
X-Men 3- garbage
First Class- just meh
Days of Future Past- very, very good, though not flawless
Apocalypse- a huge letdown
Wolverine Origins- highly entertaining garbage
Wolverine - ok I guess, but mostly just "meh"
Logan - truly great
Fantastic Four - bad, but not quite terrible
Fantastic Four 2- bad, worse, and seriously how do you waste Galactus like this
Ang Lee's Hulk- I actually really like it
Ghostrider - bad and boring
Ghostrider 2 - horrible, but kinda hilarious
Spider-Man- ok-ish, but I don't like the cast, and the Goblin's suit is horrible
Spider-Man 2- crap, though with some very cool scenes
Spider-Man 3- oh god, why
Amazing Spider-Man- not great, but ok and my favourite Spidey movie
Amazing Spider-Man 2- total, idiotic, moronic mess of plot-holes, cartoonish characters and aborted plot threads
Fant4stick- idiotic, wrong and just so boooooring
Post edited May 23, 2018 by Breja
Breja: Spider-Man 2- crap, though with some very cool scenes
Wha...? Still the best superhero movie if you ask me.

I don't really consider the X-Men movies superhero movies, but I love them all pretty much except Origins. Yes even The Last Stand, which while on the bottom of the pile I still find highly entertaining, and Apocalypse, which was disappointing but not bad. Something about that cast and concept just hits homeruns for me, and I think Donner has done a great job steering the franchise to a mostly amazing batting record.