It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Edge with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin. I came across it by virtue of its excellent music which I discovered on youtube. SPOILER : I thought that the first 80% or so of the film was very good, up and till the
point where they dispatched the bear. What I didn't like was that Alec Baldwin's character would want to kill Charles, especially after everything they had went through. It simply wasn't believable and ruined the otherwise excellent film for me.
Caesar.: Hunt for the Wilderpeople

A quirky Kiwi dramedy set in rural New Zealand. The cast is fantastic, even the kid (especially the kid). Very funny with some bittersweet or downright sad moments, but overall falls under the "feel good" category.
One of my favourite movies of 2016. Great soundtrack and direction, funny without being crude or shallow and the cast is indeed fantastic. I'm a big fan of Sam Neill, who I think is somewhat underappreciated, and doesn't get enough chances to truly showcase his talent, but this was one of them.
Post edited May 21, 2018 by Breja
Caesar.: Hunt for the Wilderpeople

A quirky Kiwi dramedy set in rural New Zealand. The cast is fantastic, even the kid (especially the kid). Very funny with some bittersweet or downright sad moments, but overall falls under the "feel good" category.
Breja: One of my favourite movies of 2016. Great soundtrack and direction, funny without being crude or shallow and the cast is indeed fantastic. I'm a big fan of Sam Neill, who I think is somewhat underappreciated, and doesn't get enough chances to truly showcase his talent, but this was one of them.
Same writer and director of "What We Do in the Shadows" which is the greatest 'mockumentary' ever.
Breja: One of my favourite movies of 2016. Great soundtrack and direction, funny without being crude or shallow and the cast is indeed fantastic. I'm a big fan of Sam Neill, who I think is somewhat underappreciated, and doesn't get enough chances to truly showcase his talent, but this was one of them.
tinyE: Same writer and director of "What We Do in the Shadows" which is the greatest 'mockumentary' ever.
I have seen it too! I didn't know it was the same writer and director. Very talented guy, indeed.
Jigsaw. I wish I could say that it was a great movie that totally redeems the series but, eh, it's Another Saw Movie. Actually, in fairness, it's not bad by the series' standards, and I do like that it's the first movie in the series that has real color in the cinematography, instead of everything being washed out like a 1990s music video. The movie pretty much ignores how the original series ended, with the dirty cop guy becoming the new Jigsaw killer in favor of something else, and it contrives another reason to have Tobin Bell reappear even though he died in something like the 3rd movie (these movies thrive on retcons).

My issue with the series is that I've never bought the psychology they run on. Every single movie involves Jigsaw somehow picking out a bunch of scuzzy but mostly nondescript people with dark secrets and putting them in elaborate death-traps, and every single one of these people reacts by going into instant hysterics and screaming dialogue that includes the word "fuck" a lot, usually while generic industrial music blasts on the soundtrack (now I'm picturing what a Saw movie might look like if the victims were, say, an aging soccer mom, a Hasidic rabbi, a Japanese chef, and tweedy law professor - would they all start screaming "Whatthefuck fuck you bitch asshole motherfucker fuck you!!!" when they wake up? That might actually be fun...). They all go exactly where Jigsaw predicts they'll go, they believe everything he tells them on his little tape recorders even though he's a psycho, and they die in the order they're expected to die in. There's never any accounting for a diversity of responses from the victims and all of them are consistently dim-witted.
The Greasy Strangler.

It was....greasy.
I just watched Six String Samurai... I can't say I was expecting much but my God is that a great film
IsThisJacksCake: I just watched Six String Samurai... I can't say I was expecting much but my God is that a great film
It's fantastic, really blew my mind. Defiantely one of the most unique movies I've ever seen. I feel like there are endless layers of cleverness and craziness to that film.
IsThisJacksCake: I just watched Six String Samurai... I can't say I was expecting much but my God is that a great film
Breja: It's fantastic, really blew my mind. Defiantely one of the most unique movies I've ever seen. I feel like there are endless layers of cleverness and craziness to that film.
Like I picked it up thinking "this is going to be awful but it'll be a fun way to waste an afternoon", I'm so suprised it doesn't have more of a following. I'd literally never heard of it until the day before I watched it
I finally watched Black Panther. I found it... good, not great. It was too CGI-heavy for me, and I didn't think the action scenes were as well done as recent competitors. The overall message and plot was good however, and I liked the African styling. I just wish they went to Africa and made it all look more real. Also an "advanced" culture deciding its leader based on a battle to the death is f'in stupid.
StingingVelvet: I finally watched Black Panther. I found it... good, not great. It was too CGI-heavy for me, and I didn't think the action scenes were as well done as recent competitors. The overall message and plot was good however, and I liked the African styling. I just wish they went to Africa and made it all look more real. Also an "advanced" culture deciding its leader based on a battle to the death is f'in stupid.
It's too long, very predictable and bland. I don't think the setting really did much to distinguish it. It's not like it has the visual panache of Thor Ragnarok. But what boethers me the most is what a boring character T'Chala is. He doesn't even have any sort of arc in this movie. He loses the first fight with Killmonger because the script says so, and then he wins the next one because the script says so. He didn't learn anything from his defeat, didn't train or do anything at all to prepare for the next one. It never feels like he overcomes anything, it's all just predictable regurgitated cliches without substace.
Saw Deadpool 2 this past Sunday. Very very good. Lots of humor (maybe 5% of the jokes fell flat -- but audience i was in when i went generally had a good laugh during the movie) , lots of good set piece actions. Coherent plot. Cable was good addition to the cast. Deadpool was made for Ryan Reynolds...Better than the first movie imho. Now the wait for the next John Wick movie.. :D
Watched Black Panther.
Wakanda Forever !
Not a fan of everything being based off of tech now like spiderman with web fluids and black panther and his suit except i guess thats not where he gets his superhuman power, and Ant Man (but i can't wait for Ant Man 2)
StingingVelvet: I finally watched Black Panther. I found it... good, not great. It was too CGI-heavy for me, and I didn't think the action scenes were as well done as recent competitors. The overall message and plot was good however, and I liked the African styling. I just wish they went to Africa and made it all look more real. Also an "advanced" culture deciding its leader based on a battle to the death is f'in stupid.
Breja: It's too long, very predictable and bland. I don't think the setting really did much to distinguish it. It's not like it has the visual panache of Thor Ragnarok. But what boethers me the most is what a boring character T'Chala is. He doesn't even have any sort of arc in this movie. He loses the first fight with Killmonger because the script says so, and then he wins the next one because the script says so. He didn't learn anything from his defeat, didn't train or do anything at all to prepare for the next one. It never feels like he overcomes anything, it's all just predictable regurgitated cliches without substace.
i feel the same way now. Thx for the insight
Post edited May 22, 2018 by slyky13
Breja: It's too long, very predictable and bland. I don't think the setting really did much to distinguish it. It's not like it has the visual panache of Thor Ragnarok. But what boethers me the most is what a boring character T'Chala is. He doesn't even have any sort of arc in this movie. He loses the first fight with Killmonger because the script says so, and then he wins the next one because the script says so. He didn't learn anything from his defeat, didn't train or do anything at all to prepare for the next one. It never feels like he overcomes anything, it's all just predictable regurgitated cliches without substace.
I guess his arc is learning to open up Wakanda to the outside world, but it definitely needed more building and focus. All you got was a few lines with his girl toward the start and then his change of heart at the end. They seemed to put a LOT of focus on how the villain has a real point, and is just addressing it the wrong way (i.e. too angry), which is a political statement I feel they were trying to make.

I think the setting would have done more to distinguish it if they showed more than a field, a waterfall and a couple interior sets... especially since they all look fake as hell.
Last movie i watched is THE DAY OF THE JACKAL. The Original. Great Movie, very highly recommended. Better than the remake, ice cold, lots of tension build up and believable characters.