It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

MarkoH01: So you installed the game using the offline Installer and installed Galaxy afterwards which then altered your link in the shortcut without asking you?
Engerek01: Exactly.
O.K. - downloading NWM2 right now (not so small so it takes a few minutes). Already installed shortcuts imo should not be touched at all by Galaxy no matter if it imports the game or not (since in such cases it should be clear that the user does not want to use Galaxy always but only occasionally). If this in fact is the case I am also the opinion GOG should change this.

If this is the case the behavior is implemented in the Galaxy imprt routine and not in the installer itself. So it means if they want to change it they would not have to change each installer but only one import routine.
Post edited June 08, 2018 by MarkoH01
MarkoH01: O.K. - downloading NWM2 right now (not so small so it takes a few minutes). Already installed shortcuts imo should not be touched at all by Galaxy no matter if it imports the game or not (since in such cases it should be clear that the user does not want to use Galaxy always but only occasionally). If this in fact is the case I am also the opinion GOG should change this.

If this is the case the behavior is implemented in the Galaxy imprt routine and not in the installer itself. So it means if they want to change it they would not have to change each installer but only one import routine.
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/gog_games_you_can_play_without_the_gog_client/post41

Here you can see me complaining about this problem 6 months ago :)

EDIT: A few topics above, you can see BKGamin saying "This is a shortcut change, been that way for a while now."
Post edited June 08, 2018 by Engerek01
Engerek01: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/gog_games_you_can_play_without_the_gog_client/post41

EDIT: A few topics above, you can see BKGamin saying "This is a shortcut change, been that way for a while now."
I have installed NWN2 from the classic installer while Galaxy was running and the shortcut on the desktop doesn't start Galaxy.
MarkoH01: O.K. - downloading NWM2 right now (not so small so it takes a few minutes). Already installed shortcuts imo should not be touched at all by Galaxy no matter if it imports the game or not (since in such cases it should be clear that the user does not want to use Galaxy always but only occasionally). If this in fact is the case I am also the opinion GOG should change this.

Engerek01: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/gog_games_you_can_play_without_the_gog_client/post41

I just noticed that we were talking about different things. I was always checking the optional created DESKTOP shortcut (which Galaxy in NWN2 is not altering by the way even after doing a verify - just checked it). BUT it IS in fact altering the shortcut inside the start menu as soon as it finds the game which should be changed.
MarkoH01: I just noticed that we were talking about different things. I was always checking the optional created DESKTOP shortcut (which Galaxy in NWN2 is not altering by the way even after doing a verify - just checked it). BUT it IS in fact altering the shortcut inside the start menu as soon as it finds the game which should be changed.
Looks like it depends on the OS. I have Win 8.1 on the gaming machine and just checked that the shortcut in the "start menu" (the Applications wall) doesn't change after installing NWN2 from the classic installer (Galaxy was running at that moment so it was added to the list of installed games in Galaxy automatically) and doesn't change after updating the game using Galaxy.
MarkoH01: I just noticed that we were talking about different things. I was always checking the optional created DESKTOP shortcut (which Galaxy in NWN2 is not altering by the way even after doing a verify - just checked it). BUT it IS in fact altering the shortcut inside the start menu as soon as it finds the game which should be changed.
Ah ok. I tend to keep my desktop as clean as possible so I have not checked that. Tnx for the update.
Olauron: Looks like it depends on the OS. I have Win 8.1 on the gaming machine and just checked that the shortcut in the "start menu" (the Applications wall) doesn't change after installing NWN2 from the classic installer (Galaxy was running at that moment so it was added to the list of installed games in Galaxy automatically) and doesn't change after updating the game using Galaxy.
Wow! Nice find. This is beginning to get interesting. I wonder if your desktop shortcut did change.
high rated
GR00T: Basically, all the installers are classic installers and Galaxy just fetches those if you use it to install your games.
Actually Galaxy doesn't fetch the installer, because it is the installer. :P It fetches the (compressed) game directly, and when it updates - it updates the game files directly (with a diff patch when possible).

You can then still launch the game directly with Galaxy turned off, or remove Galaxy - if you wish - and still play the game with no issues and no Galaxy features. There should be no real difference when installing through "backup installer" (maybe shortcuts or installation folder suggestion). You just have the backup installer then. :)

Just to be clear: you can download backup installers through Galaxy too.
Post edited June 08, 2018 by Johny.
GR00T: Basically, all the installers are classic installers and Galaxy just fetches those if you use it to install your games.
Johny.: Actually Galaxy doesn't fetch the installer, because it is the installer. :P It fetches the (compressed) game directly, and when it updates - it updates the game files directly (with a diff patch when possible).

You can then still launch the game directly with Galaxy turned off, or remove Galaxy - if you wish - and still play the game with no issues and no Galaxy features. There should be no real difference when installing through "backup installer". You just have the backup installer then. :)

Just to be clear: you can download backup installers through Galaxy too.
Thanks Johny. Poorly worded on my part, I guess. Point being, though, that the game files fetched by Galaxy don't actually contain Galaxy. Am I understanding that correctly?
GR00T: Thanks Johny. Poorly worded on my part, I guess. Point being, though, that the game files fetched by Galaxy don't actually contain Galaxy. Am I understanding that correctly?
Yes, you are. :) Actually the post I wrote is more directed to others that might be reading this topic.

Also I can chip in to the fact that shortcut control is not perfect, and we'd love it to be fully controllable per game. :) There are some technical obstacles though. Option to create the shortcut with a button would be also nice.
Post edited June 08, 2018 by Johny.
Olauron: Looks like it depends on the OS. I have Win 8.1 on the gaming machine and just checked that the shortcut in the "start menu" (the Applications wall) doesn't change after installing NWN2 from the classic installer (Galaxy was running at that moment so it was added to the list of installed games in Galaxy automatically) and doesn't change after updating the game using Galaxy.
MarkoH01: Wow! Nice find. This is beginning to get interesting. I wonder if your desktop shortcut did change.
The desktop shortcut didn't changed.
Some more investigation has shown that the "start menu" shortcut has changed after upgrading to another game version (desktop shortcut did not). So it seems not Galaxy itself changes the "start menu" shortcut but that game files themselves include start menu shortcut and so it will change depending on game, version and so on.

Edit: Yes, I degraded the NWN2 version and the "start menu" shortcut has changed again (to the classic non-Galaxy shortcut this time).
Post edited June 09, 2018 by Olauron
MarkoH01: Wow! Nice find. This is beginning to get interesting. I wonder if your desktop shortcut did change.
Olauron: The desktop shortcut didn't changed.
Some more investigation has shown that the "start menu" shortcut has changed after upgrading to another game version (desktop shortcut did not). So it seems not Galaxy itself changes the "start menu" shortcut but that game files themselves include start menu shortcut and so it will change depending on game, version and so on.

Edit: Yes, I degraded the NWN2 version and the "start menu" shortcut has changed again (to the classic non-Galaxy shortcut this time).
Makes sense. Since downgrading the game through Galaxy (or in general changing the version) is basically the same as starting a new installation through Galaxy and Galaxy installs should create Galaxy shortcuts. It seems as if importing or verifying is not the same as installation so the shortcut remains unchanged. It also seems that the desktop shortcut still remains unchanged though.
MarkoH01: Since downgrading the game through Galaxy (or in general changing the version) is basically the same as starting a new installation through Galaxy and Galaxy installs should create Galaxy shortcuts.
Nope, it seems you misunderstood me. Downgrading NWN2 leads to creating non-Galaxy shortcuts. If you have NWN2 installed you may try yourself by changing game version from the latest 1.23 (that has Galaxy shortcut) to 1.023 (1765) (that has non-Galaxy shortcut) and then back to 1.23. It is about 5 Mb download. The start menu shortcut is different for different versions.
Johny.: Yes, you are. :) Actually the post I wrote is more directed to others that might be reading this topic.

Also I can chip in to the fact that shortcut control is not perfect, and we'd love it to be fully controllable per game. :) There are some technical obstacles though. Option to create the shortcut with a button would be also nice.
I'm very much for that. I have an account for my daughter on this very machine, and while I myself launch all my games through Galaxy, I want her games to just launch from the desktop shortcut. I really don't want her to launch Galaxy (with Party Hard and and Dying Light on the top).

Right now the only way is to create desktop shortcuts for the games she should see manually. Would be nice to have better way to control this (sub-accounts?)
MarkoH01: Since downgrading the game through Galaxy (or in general changing the version) is basically the same as starting a new installation through Galaxy and Galaxy installs should create Galaxy shortcuts.
Olauron: Nope, it seems you misunderstood me. Downgrading NWN2 leads to creating non-Galaxy shortcuts. If you have NWN2 installed you may try yourself by changing game version from the latest 1.23 (that has Galaxy shortcut) to 1.023 (1765) (that has non-Galaxy shortcut) and then back to 1.23. It is about 5 Mb download. The start menu shortcut is different for different versions.
Oh - then indeed I did misunderstand and this behavior seems a little bit strange to me.
But I just saw that Johny posted here. Maybe he is able to explain why different game versions do use different shortcuts in the start menu while the desktop shortcut remains unchanged.

toxicTom: Right now the only way is to create desktop shortcuts for the games she should see manually. Would be nice to have better way to control this (sub-accounts?)
May I add an additional request? It would also be great if "create start menu entry" could also be an optional thing.
Post edited June 09, 2018 by MarkoH01