It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
IMPORTANT: Please read before posting This topic has been provided to discuss the latest releases of our Downloader (for both Mac and Windows systems) and to submit bug reports. The stable releases (recommended for most users) can be found at this address:http://www.gog.com/downloader.

Latest version:

Mac OS X - 1.2 (build 512)
Windows - 3.6.0

Both Downloaders now have the option of sending Error Reports directly to us (this can be found in app under Settings).
Post edited October 29, 2013 by Fallen_Zen
To fallen zen...

But you not say anything about the bug only it's was a nasty one...
What time will GOG have find that bug and deleted it?
I talk about GOG downloader.
dragonage3012: To fallen zen...

But you not say anything about the bug only it's was a nasty one...
What time will GOG have find that bug and deleted it?
I talk about GOG downloader.
The bug I'm referring to in the sticky post is in the update system, nothing special about it.
I'm sorry but the downloader is just too unreliable.

Trouble handling the .bin files it downloaded itself? Crash.

Internet is too slow while downloading? Downloads corrupt.

Internet is slow while getting download descriptions? fail. Have to manually remove items from queue and re-add from website.

You really need to think through what you will do for the failure case in these various situations and have a recovery strategy. Lots of programs manage to get reliable downloads from raw http, so i'm not sure where your bugs are, but you could add chunked checksums so you can identify where you have problems and both compensate and auto-identify problem patterns by reporting exceptions to the mothership.

Downloading files from http is not really a new problem, so really you should be using a library that already handles all this stuff instead of reinventing it all.
jsjrodman: you could add chunked checksums so you can identify where you have problems and both compensate and auto-identify problem patterns
Chunked checksums (assuming you mean checking each 10MB chunk's checksum) are already in place, though I think they get checked only once the download has completed, before merging.
What kind of trouble handling the .bin files? So far, out of 305 games, I've had the downloader crash on me only a few times, and it was usually specific games, not everything, which was reported and fixed.
Downloads corrupted by slow internet is a new one, you could try reducing the concurrent downloads to 1 or 2 at a time, instead of the default 6, thus reducing the get threads, and hopefully getting fewer corruptions (though they should be handled later on).
And what do you mean by "fail" on getting items descriptions? Something equivalent to "couldn't connect to the website, please re-try"? If yes, then you can either remove and re-add it as you are currently doing, or restart the downloader, which should also allow it to recheck.

P.S. Out of personal curiosity, what OS are you using? (feel free to ignore this part)
The Downloader is working superbly with me. No problem with downloading The Witcher 2 and other games in my collection.

One small question: can the GOG.com Downloader create game folders without underscores? For example, "World of Ultima The Savage Empire" instead of "worlds_of_ultima_the_savage_empire"? I always end up renaming the folders. It's not that tedious, but it would be better if it was done from the get-go. Thanks!
Post edited June 24, 2012 by Zenphic
jsjrodman: you could add chunked checksums so you can identify where you have problems and both compensate and auto-identify problem patterns
JMich: Chunked checksums (assuming you mean checking each 10MB chunk's checksum) are already in place, though I think they get checked only once the download has completed, before merging.
I was trying to download some artwork, yesterday. The downloader said it was downloading 50MB of 23MB. Looking at the logger and the file more closely, it was deciding it didn't like what it was downloading and redownloading the whole thing.

Looking at the logger, it failed twice.

I shut down the downloader and downloaded the file use wget.
Afterwards, I started up the downloader to do something else, and it decided to keep downloading the file I'd alrelady correctly downloaded for it.

I had to go into the directory where it keeps bin files and delete the related file.

Problems:

1 - checksums should be more fine grained than 23MB. Really a hash tree should be generated upon request that gets down to some small chunk like 128k. This would save bandwidth for everyone. Meanwhile if you're experiencing underrun or overrun problems (wtfff???) you can correct for this efficiently using an implementation of rsync or a similar protocol.
2 - downloader should communicate more clearly than "downloading 4x the size of the file"
3 - downloader clearly has some bug for that condition, having failed twice. I suspect it was due to bandwidth exhaustion.
4 - downloader fails to check target files on startup if it has bin file saying it needs to download.

JMich: What kind of trouble handling the .bin files? So far, out of 305 games, I've had the downloader crash on me only a few times, and it was usually specific games, not everything, which was reported and fixed.
I haven't encounterd many problems. However, yesterday, I added a bunch of content to the download queue, and the downloader crashed.

I restarted the downloader, it crashed.

At this point, the downloader was going to crash every time it started up. Clearly it was having trouble handling the .bin files in the queue dir.

Just handle the exception, folks. Report the problem, and quarantine the .bin you can't read successfully. Auto-upload the backtrace, or paste it to a dialog and request it to be sent.

JMich: Downloads corrupted by slow internet is a new one, you could try reducing the concurrent downloads to 1 or 2 at a time,
Already done. It still fails when bandwidth is exhausted.

JMich: And what do you mean by "fail" on getting items descriptions? Something equivalent to "couldn't connect to the website, please re-try"? If yes, then you can either remove and re-add it as you are currently doing, or restart the downloader, which should also allow it to recheck.
"Connection error, please try again later!" . The bar is filled-gray, not empty gray. Restarting the downloader doesn't help anything --

Ah, i stand corrected. It does seem to retry the items on restart. In the past I must have had cases where I just got errors again, because certainly I did that roundtrip and found errors still present.

Really though:

1 - I'm betting there's a timeout on the get
2 - If you're manually timing out on your end, don't. Just design your request asynchronously.
3 - If the webserver is timing the client out, retry. You can tell the user this eg "request timed out, retrying"
4 - if you get a number of server-timeout failures, you can give up
5 - let the user right-click retry.

JMich: P.S. Out of personal curiosity, what OS are you using? (feel free to ignore this part)
Win7, 64 bitzzzz

-----
Well this got into details I didn`t initially expect, so attaching the logger if anyone is interested. Unfortunately the log isn`t written using human-readable time, and I don`t remember the times clearly so I can`t point to line numbers etc. Probably annoying to fishing, but if you want to here it is.
Attachments:
Post edited June 24, 2012 by jsjrodman
I don't always want to download ALL of the extras. Why won't the downloader let you pick and chose like the older one did?
I've always had trouble with the Downloader not working at all or having horribly slow rates. That's still true with the newest version, unfortunately. I'm trying to download Arcanum right now and I'm seeing less than 1kb/s most of the time. Just for reference: I started downloading Commandos 2+3 in my browser afterwards and I'm getting speeds of 100 to 200kb/s.

Downloader version 3.0.51.0
OS is WIndows 7 Pro 64Bit German

I've also uploaded the log file here: http://cl.ly/HeAz
Can't realy post it into this thread as it got quite long very quickly, what with all the exceptions ^^
In case you don't speak German, whenever it says "Timeout für den Vorgang wurde überschritten" that means "timeout for this process has been exceeded" or something along those lines.

Now, I can't say for sure that this problem isn't with my internet connection, since it can be a bit unreliable at times. But the GoG Downloader gave me trouble long before that started.
Thank you for your feedback. The Downloader is still a work in progress, many of your suggestions is right and we will take them into consideration when deploying future updates to make it even better.
thebes: I don't always want to download ALL of the extras. Why won't the downloader let you pick and chose like the older one did?
The older one never did allow you to download bonus content :) Nevertheless you can download bonus content separately via Downloader.

Example: all bonus content for Baldur's Gate
gogdownloader://baldurs_gate_the_original_saga/886,baldurs_gate_the_original_saga/888,baldurs_gate_the_origina l_saga/889,baldurs_gate_the_original_saga/891,baldurs_gate_the_original_saga/892,baldurs_gate_the_original_sag a/887,baldurs_gate_the_original_saga/890

gogdownloader://baldurs_gate_the_original_saga/886 (just the manual)
neocro: I've always had trouble with the Downloader not working at all or having horribly slow rates. That's still true with the newest version, unfortunately. I'm trying to download Arcanum right now and I'm seeing less than 1kb/s most of the time. Just for reference: I started downloading Commandos 2+3 in my browser afterwards and I'm getting speeds of 100 to 200kb/s.

Downloader version 3.0.51.0
OS is WIndows 7 Pro 64Bit German

I've also uploaded the log file here: http://cl.ly/HeAz
Can't realy post it into this thread as it got quite long very quickly, what with all the exceptions ^^
In case you don't speak German, whenever it says "Timeout für den Vorgang wurde überschritten" that means "timeout for this process has been exceeded" or something along those lines.

Now, I can't say for sure that this problem isn't with my internet connection, since it can be a bit unreliable at times. But the GoG Downloader gave me trouble long before that started.
I'll take a look at the logger file and contact you via PM with some solutions.
Post edited June 25, 2012 by Fallen_Zen
Thank you!
I downloaded clue books music, etc with the version before this one. Not sure which one you are talking about?
Post edited June 25, 2012 by thebes
Cyclops25: Hello.
JMich Says i should post here with this problem:

Started to download The Witcher 2 with the downloader couple of days ago, i Noticed it had stopped downloading and download rate shows 0.0 kb/s. i restarted the downloader and it started up on full speed again. and after a while, about half an hour it stopped again. Tried this a couple of times, but always stops,
Any idea why?
Im on Windows 7 ultimate 64bit.

And my log can be downloaded here: http://www.datafilehost.com/download-1b4dce5c.html

Other Thread can be found here: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/gog_downloader_stops_downloading_after_a_while

Thanks for your time!
i'm having this exact same problem, windows 7 64 bit here also
Hmm...I'm using latest Downloader Beta on XP 32 bit and have also noted this 'stopped download issue'. Restarted downloader and download was resumed without further problems. This is first time I saw such problem.
tburger: Hmm...I'm using latest Downloader Beta on XP 32 bit and have also noted this 'stopped download issue'. Restarted downloader and download was resumed without further problems. This is first time I saw such problem.
PM me your e-mail address, I'll send you a test build, this should resolve the problem. Thanks.
I have received a message from the GOG team talking about the autoupdate bug and that I should install the 3.0.51b update manually. I already did when they posted it, but should I do it again?