It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
IMPORTANT: Please read before posting This topic has been provided to discuss the latest releases of our Downloader (for both Mac and Windows systems) and to submit bug reports. The stable releases (recommended for most users) can be found at this address:http://www.gog.com/downloader.

Latest version:

Mac OS X - 1.2 (build 512)
Windows - 3.6.0

Both Downloaders now have the option of sending Error Reports directly to us (this can be found in app under Settings).
Post edited October 29, 2013 by Fallen_Zen
GOGDownloader is working for me.
But I do have a question.
A few days back I downloaded Saints Row 2 (thanks for the giveaway GOG) through GOGDownloader as Downloading with Galaxy was experiencing problems because of my slow internet connection. It downloaded and installed fine. But the problem is that Galaxy can not detect it, and yes I tried both the Scan function and the manual Import Folder function.

Now can anyone enlighten me on this issue? Did others encounter such problems? If I download through the downloader is it normal that the game is not detected by galaxy? FYI the game itself runs fine.
i just wander, if google has its playstore, why should it created app downloader, i just dont get it. i mean whenever i need an app or game, i go straight into store to choose and download it, but making a downloader make it so redundant. not just google i see others doing the same thing too. like apknite downloader, apkpure app downloader, etc. Is this a kind of ads running or something?
HMMMM. had no problem downloading the Windows Gog Downloader, and I didn't have to sign in on the web---just clicked the link here on Galaxy. Thanks for the link.
They should have made gog downloader a little better instead of shilling gog galazy.
ilovefruit: i just wander, if google has its playstore, why should it created app downloader, i just dont get it. i mean whenever i need an app or game, i go straight into store to choose and download it, but making a downloader make it so redundant. not just google i see others doing the same thing too.
So if I understood your question and confusion correctly, you are asking:

"Why is there a separate GOG Downloader, when you can already download/install/play games with the Galaxy client?"

First you must realize that the GOG Downloader existed long before the Galaxy client, and that you can connect to the GOG store and your account also with a web browser, not only the Galaxy client.

At first when GOG.com was new, the only way you could download your games from them was with your web browser. You can still do that too.

Later, they created a GOG Downloader tool which makes it somewhat easier to download the games from your account. You still had to use it with your web browser, ie. you click on a "GOG Downloader link" on your web browser, in order to initiate the download on your GOG Downloader client. A bit like how you click on a torrent link in your web browser and the download starts in your Bittorrent client.

Then, later GOG came up with the Galaxy client, which pretty much made the GOG Downloader client redundant and obsolete. GOG hasn't supported the old GOG Downloader client for a long time now.

So nowadays you have two (or three) official ways to download your games from gog.com:

1. Downloading the standalone offline installers with your web browser, and install the game with them.

2. Using the Galaxy client, and click on "Install" button on it, which downloads and installs the game for you, Steam-style.

The third way is to download the standalone installers with your Galaxy client (using the backup option), and then installing the game manually with them. So basically the same as #1, but you are using Galaxy as your downloader client, instead of your web browser.

For the record, I wrote this message with my web browser (Chromium), not the Galaxy client.
timppu: So nowadays you have two (or three) official ways to download your games from gog.com:

1. Downloading the standalone offline installers with your web browser, and install the game with them.

2. Using the Galaxy client, and click on "Install" button on it, which downloads and installs the game for you, Steam-style.

The third way is to download the standalone installers with your Galaxy client (using the backup option), and then installing the game manually with them. So basically the same as #1, but you are using Galaxy as your downloader client, instead of your web browser.

For the record, I wrote this message with my web browser (Chromium), not the Galaxy client.
sadly, there is a catch, for me at least, that i experienced regarding galaxy compared to browser download and gog downloader download:
no matter how i tried, even on brand new freshly installed computer with latest drivers (regarding motherboard and network adaptator) i always ended up with galaxy 1) barely using 10-20% of me available download bandwidth yet 2) clogging my whole network, preventing the computer it was running on, the other computers or devices of the network to use the remaining bandwidth galaxy didnt care about
a behavior shared by steam client, on that regard (though steam client would even be worse)

and i repeat: browser download ? full throttle of my bandwidth ! Gog downloader download ? again full throttle ! any other application (like my current MMO updating client): full download BW again..
Galaxy client? occasionnally it would spike for brief moments to 40%at best, and would remain on an average 10-20%

So for me, galaxy is not an option, be it for regtular install (it downloads full final-installed version of games files) or even for offline downloaders using backup function ! recent gog catalog additions like plague tale innocence, wolfenstein new order or other games of 30-40gb worth of offline installer would take WEEK in such condition !

Also, dunno if people noticede but gog downloader links disappeared from the library ! is there a thread mentioning that ?
i can barely understand not adding new files links, but why even deleting every existing links ?

and so: is there a decent way to batch/queue download gog game files with throttle setting/limitation, like gog downloader did ? any third party tool ?
because having to keep checking the pc to launch/add the next file and at same time clogging my connection while each piece is downloading is just insane ! i usually have to download gog games while i sleep given the size of installers lately
Djaron: Also, dunno if people noticede but gog downloader links disappeared from the library ! is there a thread mentioning that ?
i can barely understand not adding new files links, but why even deleting every existing links ?
Read again what you've just quoted. Gog downloader is finito. There are multiple recent topics about it.

I can't help you with that Galaxy download throttling; it's always worked fine for me. Maybe contact GOG support about it?
Post edited March 21, 2020 by teceem
Djaron: [snip]
Since you post about where did it go, maybe you'd be interested in this wishlist topic. It has been growing the more people have come to notice a feature they used is gone.

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/keep_the_gog_downloader_and_keep_it_up_to_date
A real pity they removed the links. I knew the GoGDownloader was no longer bring updates years ago but I found it a fantastic tool. It was fast, created the directory names consistently so I can put in updates etc all looked after by the manager.

Sure we can use our own download manager I understand. I just wanted to say I loved the gog downloader and was still using it right up until the end. It is a pity the links are gone but that probably had good reason too.

Not a fan of gog galaxy and not interested in using it. Direct download link only is the most important thing for me and we can still do that albeit with alternative means, for that I am still extremely grateful. :)