It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Djaron: so basically, if i understood correctly, it is mandatory/required to have our users data handed up to FB (even for gog users who are not on FB...)
Breja: Understood what, have I missed something? Where is this fresh hell coming from?
From nowhere, and it's nonsense. I have not seen and not accepted a new privacy policy that allows GOG to give user data to facebook. And I never will. And should such a policy ever surface, I guess GOG is well aware they'd be getting their ass whupped with a cat-o'-nine-tails. Not even Valve attempts shit as sick as that.

Let's keep the discussion fact based, not conspiracy mongering.

tinyE: And yet people are evidently leaving the forum because of my posts. :P
Daily. But it's always the same dudes, and they're all coming back sadly.
Post edited April 22, 2018 by Vainamoinen
low rated
Alexim: You've completely gone mad with these conspiracy theories and wild spam on all news threads. XD
tinyE: https://media.tenor.co/images/fa6bf01480cca30fdc8319d2b0febb6c/tenor.gif
Yeah, exactly XD
high rated
Not looking at what I think about this move by GOG, I expect an e-mail notifcation by a company with a specified date and time set in the future when my privacy settings will be set to open for everyone.

Especially because what the op stated is not true: ALL my settings including library etc. were set to visible to everyone.

"The default settings are - „everyone” for your profile, and „friends only” for both your games and your friends. If you want, you can change those settings already, before we launch with profiles, and of course you can change those settings anytime you want."

This is more than unprofessional. Furthermore settings should be set to the highest privacy as a default.
Post edited April 22, 2018 by Arundir
Breja: Uhm... you seem to not realise which side of the debate I'm on :D
You're right, I assumed you were on the "this is a bog-standard feature that many people have asked for and other digital distribution sites have implemented with absolutely zero issues, so we'll just make the reasonable request that they default to max security and offer sufficient granularity and be on our way" side.

Apparently you're on the "get your lawyers ready because goodness knows a feature which lets you choose of your own completely voluntary free will to tell the world you play Factorio now and then is a massive privacy breach that will ruin your life and means GOG is an evil badcorp for even thinking about it" side. And I mean, I'm not sure I'd be proud to admit I was on that side, but hey, you do you, I guess?

I've noticed a tendency nowadays for fans in all fandoms to act like every little change means the end of all existence is coming and that even minor issues still require maximum levels of outrage in addressing them and it's getting very wearying at this point.
Jeysie: I've noticed a tendency nowadays for fans in all fandoms to act like every little change means the end of all existence is coming and that even minor issues still require maximum levels of outrage in addressing them and it's getting very wearying at this point.
I've just visited a forum in which gamers fall over themselves to congratulate Campo Santo for being bought by Valve. I assure you, should the present gamer generation face the end of all existence, they will give it all the thumbs ups in all of the internet.
Vainamoinen: From nowhere, and it's nonsense. I have not seen and not accepted a new privacy policy that allows GOG to give user data to facebook. And I never will. And should such a policy ever surface, I guess GOG is well aware they'd be getting their ass whupped with a cat-o'-nine-tails. Not even Valve attempts shit as sick as that.

Let's keep the discussion fact based, not conspiracy mongering.
This might be the first thing you have ever posted that I agree with 100%. This GOG gives data to facebook, is based on assumptions not facts and is complete nonsense without more info.
Post edited April 22, 2018 by BKGaming
Vainamoinen: I've just visited a forum in which gamers fall over themselves to congratulate Campo Santo for being bought by Valve. I assure you, should the present gamer generation face the end of all existence, they will give it all the thumbs ups in all of the internet.
I'm dealing with a fandom which is busy fretting that an upcoming game in the franchise is going to be a horrible product made by a bunch of incompetent boobs because there was a minor typo in a screenshot from a pre-alpha version of the game.

Then there's the people complaining that an extremely complex board game will take two years to develop and deliver (i.e. a completely normal timeframe), because it was later than the projected KS date (you know, those things nobody normal actually pays attention to anyway).

Or the people casting aspersions on a couple podcast creators because they covered certain characters in a slightly different order than people wanted.

And another fandom where people are screaming a company is The Absolute Sexist Worst Ever because the entirely cosmetic artwork for the main characters happens to be all women.

So listening to people scream that GOG is baby-eating evil for implementing a very common and frequently requested feature because they made one mistake in doing so that they quickly addressed when it was brought up is just eliciting a weary "of course" reaction from me at this point.
So now we can choose to show our library and wishlist or to keep them hidden ?

Okay.

*side glance to the 400 posts*
BKGaming: This might be the first thing you have ever posted that I agree with 100%.
If that feels strange, no problem, we can go back to debating gun rights any time so you can be like "but mah second amendment" again when within just 48 hours a naked fuckwit shoots up a waffle house with an AR-15, an Ohio mom with concealed carry permit accidentally kills her two-year old kid and yet another Florida school shooting occurs, thankfully without any people dead, but a whole lot scarred for life as always.

Jeysie: I'm dealing with a fandom which is busy fretting [...]
Make no mistake, gamer entitlement is a huge problem, but so is gamer gratitude. Some issues are blown up because of the entitlement. Other issues are vastly deflated. We're usually turning a blind eye to Valve's ethics violations. And particularly privacy rights violations are hardly even debated - because they're "normal", because facebook has been doing so much worse, because everyone is giving up their privacy with credit cards alone, etc. The chance is right here and now, to debate the ethics without the whataboutism. I'm all for doing this in an atmosphere that doesn't routinely fall back to hyperbole. However, the necessity for debate is there, and "but Valve is doing it" never ever counts as an argument.
Post edited April 22, 2018 by Vainamoinen
Vainamoinen: If that feels strange, no problem, we can go back to debating gun rights any time so you can be like "but mah second amendment" again when within just 48 hours a naked fuckwit shoots up a waffle house with an AR-15, an Ohio mom with concealed carry permit accidentally kills her two-year old kid and yet another Florida school shooting occurs, thankfully without any people dead, but a whole lot scarred for life as always.
No thanks, I'm worn out on that debate. Let's not derail another thread. Nothing strange about it, I have no problem supporting good points even when I largly disagree with person who posted said point. Good points are goods points regardless.
Vainamoinen: However, the necessity for debate is there, and "but Valve is doing it" never ever counts as an argument.
It is when the argument is "Valve did it and the baby-eating apocalyptic conspiracy theories people are hand-wringing over didn't happen". Strawmanning points by chopping off important context from them is just as bad as whataboutism in arguments, FYI.

And I brought up the fandom issues I've been having because it's all the same deal. Every single item I listed had a valid complaint in there somewhere, but it ended up buried under so much hysterical hyperbole that it still ended up impossible to take the complaint remotely seriously.

Likewise, saying GOG should have defaulted to the strongest privacy option is a valid complaint, but when people then start going on about how they're going to retain lawyers to sue for a refund of all their games because GOG is so evil and horrible in that the world might find out about their crazy Planescape Torment addiction, I then start losing the ability to take them seriously.

Basically, if you want to be taken seriously and have a serious debate, you have to actually react to things in sane and proportional ways, as well as base your conjecture on things that actually have or haven't already happened.
low rated
Vainamoinen: However, the necessity for debate is there, and "but Valve is doing it" never ever counts as an argument.
Jeysie: It is when the argument is "Valve did it and the baby-eating apocalyptic conspiracy theories people are hand-wringing over didn't happen". Strawmanning points by chopping off important context from them is just as bad as whataboutism in arguments, FYI.

And I brought up the fandom issues I've been having because it's all the same deal. Every single item I listed had a valid complaint in there somewhere, but it ended up buried under so much hysterical hyperbole that it still ended up impossible to take the complaint remotely seriously.

Likewise, saying GOG should have defaulted to the strongest privacy option is a valid complaint, but when people then start going on about how they're going to retain lawyers to sue for a refund of all their games because GOG is so evil and horrible in that the world might find out about their crazy Planescape Torment addiction, I then start losing the ability to take them seriously.

Basically, if you want to be taken seriously and have a serious debate, you have to actually react to things in sane and proportional ways, as well as base your conjecture on things that actually have or haven't already happened.
Exactly what was on my mind when I still participated in that pointless discussion.

PUBLIC PROFILES? THE END TIMES! THE END TIMES HAVE COME!
high rated
zeogold: I'd rather have a few hundred disgruntled users if it means the store gets several thousand new buyers.
BKGaming: Exactly. The amount of disgruntled users that stem from the choice will be tiny in comparison to the amount of new interested users & potential new buyers to GOG because of this added feature. Gaming at it's core, even before the internet, has always been a shared experience. From LAN parties, to co-op, to sharing your achievements in-game (before what we now call achievements) was always a popular thing. The internet just expanded that and the majority of people love that and want to share their experiences.
If you always aim for the masses you will some day come to that point where the last remaining principle (drm free single player) stands in the way of GOGs further expansion. When they are at that point, there will be no more gamers who care if there is a drm free version. Meaning they will just completely remove the drm free, because it is good for their business.

You might tell me that this is too negative, but time will tell, as it has been the last about 3 years.
Thanks for the heads up. I did some tweaking.
https://i.redd.it/mt1ui16kwht01.jpg - privacy dank meme
Post edited April 23, 2018 by tfishell