It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Many classic games that were revived by Ziggurat Games have already found their way to GOG.COM, giving us the opportunity to revisit them or discover them for the first time. We had the opportunity to ask a few questions to Michael Devine, SVP of business development at ZIggurat, to learn more about the company’s interesting past and plans for the future.

GOG.COM: Ziggurat Games has been around for 2 years, yet it has already made a name for itself in the video game market. Can you tell us how it all began? How did a passion for classic games become the cornerstone of the company?

Michael Devine: Our founder, Wade Rosen grew up an avid gamer and fell in love with games for their ability to bring us into magical and imaginative spaces. Despite his many successful businesses, he always wanted to return to games and share his love for the classics. It was from that inspiration and passion that Ziggurat began.

Not content to let classic games sit in the vaults of history, Ziggurat brought together an incredibly talented and committed team to resurrect classic game titles and give them the life and rebirth they deserve. In just two years, our small team has worked with development partners around the world to publish over 100 titles on PC and consoles.

We still connect with that original passion for games, bringing these games back to life as enhanced, HD, reimagined, and even brand new forms from the archives of video game history. It truly is an honor for our entire team to be a part of this work.

Each classic game that we release on GOG.COM that was revived by Ziggurat Games is quite popular among our users. How do you choose the classics that will be re-released next? Can you shed a little light on the whole process?

Our team starts the process by diving into our game library of currently unavailable or neglected content. Many of our IP’s come from now defunct game studios, but where possible, we try to work with original developers to resurrect and enhance their original games.

We investigate the history of the games, find what’s unique, and work to make them ready for new and old audiences alike. We aim to have something for everyone in our catalog, so we jump at the chance to work on games that are a little quirky, unexpected, or of historical importance.

Which video games do you consider the company’s biggest success? Were there any titles that sparked more interest than you anticipated at first?

Certainly there are quite a few. Krush, Kill and Destroy, Advent Rising, even smaller titles like World Championship Boxing really exceeded our expectations. But it was the Bloodrayne series that has been in a category all by itself. We were blown away at the response to the re-releases and upgrades given to Rayne and her franchise. We truly want to honor Rayne and her place in the history of video games, while also modernizing her for contemporary audiences. The opportunity to work with Terminal Reality and WayForward has been so rewarding and has helped forge partnerships that we hope will continue long into the future.

I would also say another big success for us has been reaching our two year anniversary with the milestone of over 114 published games – with 65 just released in the last year. We are a small team here at Ziggurat and most of us can’t believe that number! We have such an amazing team and to work alongside such a high caliber committed group makes it exciting to go to work each day.

Now for a more personal question – what is your favorite classic game that you can play over and over and why?

It’s really hard for me to separate the games from the people and companies that made them after 30 years in this business.

For me, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is an almost perfect Turn-Based Strategy Game, but it’s also my sentimental favorite, as I thought the folks at New World Computing were among the best, nicest, and most talented developers I’ve ever met. Also, I’ve been playing HMM3 on and off for almost 25 years.

Can you tell our users what they can expect from Ziggurat Games in the upcoming months? Which games should they get excited for?

A Boy and His Blob is back and it is a really exciting release for us. The Nintendo Switch version is coming out this week and it’s just the beginning of a number of announcements about this wonderfully innovative, inclusive magical world.

We are also extremely happy to be working with Limited Run Games. They have been such a great partner in helping us bring Retro and Classic games back to life, and can’t wait to tell gamers about even more physical releases of classic games in the coming months.

Do you have any favorite games that were brought back to modern computers thanks to Ziggurat Games and GOG.COM? Let us know in the comments!
MarkoH01: @GOG: UNBLOCK Bloodrayne 1 and 2 for Germany - both aren't on the index list anymore and can be sold to Germans without any problems. The only reason to still block them is if you want to NOT make additional money.

https://www.schnittberichte.com/news.php?ID=17880

(Same goes for Mortal Kombat 1-3 which also is blocked unnecessary here on GOG - I told the guy who is responsible for this but never got any reply)
tfishell: Why wouldn't GOG unblock games if there wouldn't be any legal repercussions anymore?
No idea. I was under the impression that GOG is a business that would like to make money. Maybe they don't believe official German sources or the person responsible is on vacation?

It is a bit sad for the here praised Ziggurat that GOG because of this basically prevents them to get German money as well.

Maybe THIS is official enough?

"Listenstreichung gemäß § 18 Absatz 7 Satz 1 in Verbindung mit § 21 Absatz 5 Nummer 2 JuSchG

Filmwerke

4. Tödlicher Haß
*Videofilm* IMV Vertrieb intern. Medien GmbH, Ismaning Entscheidung Nr. 15086 (V) vom 21. September 2021 (Pr. 467/21)

Spiele

5. Blood Rayne (engl. Fassung)
*PC CD-ROM*
Majesco Games Inc.,
Edision/USA
Entscheidung Nr. 15088 (V) vom 21. September 2021 (Pr. 512/21)

Blood Rayne 2 (englischsprachige US-Version)
*PC CD-ROM*
Majesco Games Inc.,
Edision/USA
Entscheidung Nr. 15089 (V) vom 21. September 2021 (Pr. 514/21)

Blood Rayne 2 (englische Demoversion)
*PC CD-ROM*
Majesco Games, Edision/USA
Entscheidung Nr. 15090 (V) vom 21. September 2021 (Pr. 515/21)"

Source: bundesanzeiger.de

For those who don't know: the "bundesanzeiger.de" site is the OFFICIAL site that shows whenever a game (or movie) in Germany is getting on the index list or when it gets removed. Just enter the site and search for a certain game. You can do the same with Mortal Kombat and will find that this has been crossed from the list as well, It is a pity that GOG does not do anything since it is so very simple to figure out what's allowed and what's not allowed.
Post edited November 06, 2021 by MarkoH01
Michael Devine: "For me, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is an almost perfect Turn-Based Strategy Game, but it’s also my sentimental favorite..."

Couldn't agree more! The man said it all :)
Since we have gotten a bunch of Three-Sixty Pacific titles, I wonder if we get V for Victory games here, too.
It's nice Ziggurat Games are re-releasing all this stuff but my main problem is they're doing it without any extras or anything to remaster the games. These are good titles and they deserve more than just a quick port.
tfishell: Why wouldn't GOG unblock games if there wouldn't be any legal repercussions anymore?
Actually if GOG doesn't have a legal presence in the country they also have no legal responsibility. But it's ultimately the publisher that makes the determination and most often it's laziness. There are still 6 titles I know of I can't get from here without a VPN (looking at you 2K) despite the fact I have them on my shelf with a local rating and 2K does sell one title in the series from here. It's perplexing.
Now if someone would get War Inc. released here :)
I think the person behind the Ziggurat trailers for these releases deserves a raise! Great way to uh re-merchandise some of these gems to our times! There I've said it! :)
PromZA: Actually if GOG doesn't have a legal presence in the country they also have no legal responsibility. But it's ultimately the publisher that makes the determination and most often it's laziness. There are still 6 titles I know of I can't get from here without a VPN (looking at you 2K) despite the fact I have them on my shelf with a local rating and 2K does sell one title in the series from here. It's perplexing.
That's not true. GOG is responsible for the games they offer here since it is their platform. They also have people responsible for telling them whenever certain games can't be sold in certain countries. This I know for sure.
Post edited November 08, 2021 by MarkoH01
GOG.com: Limited Run Games
They're a bit of a headscratcher for me.

On the one hand, they release these fairly cool physical editions, on the other hand these physical editions are console-only more often than not. A PC-as-PC-gets classic like Quake being released exclusively for Playstation and Switch is just a baffling choice. Same goes for recent-ish titles like Dusk or Hotline Miami or Darkwood. I'd love to have a physical copy of those games, I don't really get why they wouldn't do PC versions as well. Has Steam well and truly killed the physical market to the point where even highly limited collector's editions are considered not viable?

The other thing that irks me is that their customers seem to consist almost entirely of assholes who want to resell those boxes at a 200+% markup on ebay.
Post edited November 08, 2021 by fronzelneekburm
GOG.com: Limited Run Games
fronzelneekburm: They're a bit of a headscratcher for me.

On the one hand, they release these fairly cool physical editions, on the other hand these physical editions are console-only more often than not. A PC-as-PC-gets classic like Quake being released exclusively for Playstation and Switch is just a baffling choice. Same goes for recent-ish titles like Dusk or Hotline Miami or Darkwood. I'd love to have a physical copy of those games, I don't really get why they wouldn't do PC versions as well. Has Steam well and truly killed the physical market to the point where even highly limited collector's editions are considered not viable?

The other thing that irks me is that their customers seem to consist almost entirely of assholes who want to resell those boxes at a 200+% markup on ebay.
I thought the same, so I went in search fo answers. The short of it is this...DRM. They don't do PC releases due to partners not wishing to drop DRM - https://twitter.com/L1nko64/status/1456003427708948482?s=20
Linko64: I thought the same, so I went in search fo answers. The short of it is this...DRM. They don't do PC releases due to partners not wishing to drop DRM - https://twitter.com/L1nko64/status/1456003427708948482?s=20
Grotesque, considering all of these games (at least the ones I mentioned) are readily available DRM-free. Even most of the Steam builds are DRM-free.

At least they seem to have their priorities straight, because I'd rather have no physical release than a pretend physical release that is basically a Steam key in a fancy box, with the actual physical media basically being a glorified coaster.
Linko64: I thought the same, so I went in search fo answers. The short of it is this...DRM. They don't do PC releases due to partners not wishing to drop DRM - https://twitter.com/L1nko64/status/1456003427708948482?s=20
fronzelneekburm: Grotesque, considering all of these games (at least the ones I mentioned) are readily available DRM-free. Even most of the Steam builds are DRM-free.

At least they seem to have their priorities straight, because I'd rather have no physical release than a pretend physical release that is basically a Steam key in a fancy box, with the actual physical media basically being a glorified coaster.
I'm a little torn on limited run as a means of 'preservation' though I do buy from them from time to time as some of their stuff is just nice for display haha
MarkoH01: That's not true. GOG is responsible for the games they offer here since it is their platform. They also have people responsible for telling them whenever certain games can't be sold in certain countries. This I know for sure.
Legal opinion will differ on that but if you don't have a legal presence there's no legal consequences that can arise. It's also not determined what measures have to be in place if they do like if a disclaimer is enough or if IP checks are really needed.

They only responsibilities GOG have here are between them and the publishers.
PromZA: They only responsibilities GOG have here are between them and the publishers.
Wrong - but believe whatever you want.
Post edited November 10, 2021 by MarkoH01