It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

No dragon dealings required to enjoy this.

Visionary designers have been building universes and complex rulesets long before computer RPGs rose to prominence, offering quality escapism to thousands of fans. Jordan Weisman, now the CEO of Harebrained Schemes, was at the forefront of it all and his imagination helped shape the <span class="bold">Shadowrun</span> and <span class="bold">BattleTech</span> universes, among others. Over three decades later, he's still fighting the good fight, this time concentrating his efforts on the digital arena, where his games have migrated.

The recent Shadowrun trilogy arguably stands as the most acclaimed video game iteration of that universe, earning the affection of its Kickstarter backers and many new fans who appreciated the strong narrative and compelling mechanics on offer. As Harebrained Schemes have already transitioned into BattleTech positions, we caught Jordan Weisman for a quick chat about his RPG background and the challenges of bringing his brainchildren into the digital world.

Oh, and if you're looking for a more detailed look at the upcoming BattleTech video game, don't forget to check out Jordan's <span class="bold">recent interview with Gamasutra</span>.

Shadowrun isn't the only cyberpunk setting out there, but it is one of the most beloved. What do you think defines Shadowrun and makes it stand out?

JW: I think it was that Shadowrun mixed the cyberpunk meta-theme of the de-humanization of humanity and the destruction of nature with the optimism of nature reasserting itself via the return of magic and all the flora and fauna that comes with it. Where as cyberpunk can become a monochrome of gray Shadowrun became a universe of vivid contrasts with everything from mage wage-slaves to troll biker gangs.

What were your main inspirations and goals when designing the setting back in 1989?

JW: I was really into the cyberpunk books of the era and starting working on a cyberbook RPG, but Mike Pondsmith beat me to it with the publication of his Cyberpunk game so I knew I needed to look for a twist. After some months I was reading about the Mayan long count calendar and their mythology of a new world every 5,200 years and all of sudden it came to me that maybe the Mayans understood that magic ebbed and flowed from the Earth and that it was going to return, just in time to create a very different cyberpunk environment :)

When transferring this complex universe from pen & paper to videogame format, what were the greatest challenges you had to deal with? Did the adopted medium help you take Shadowrun further?

JW: Tabletop Shadowrun is based upon buckets of dice, not a core mechanic that transfers well to video games. So we worked out all the math and then presented the chance of success to players as a much more accessible percentage. Since there is nothing more powerful than a great gamemaster at the table with you, I don't think that the video game allows us to take things "further" but it does allow us to make the game experience more accessible and visual. The reason we included the level editor was so that everyone who wanted to could tell their stories in addition to ours.

Do you feel like you're done with Shadowrun after that trilogy blitz or can we hope to get another entry in the foreseeable future? If so, how would you like to see the series evolve?

JW: You never know what the future holds, but for the moment we are totally heads down on finishing BattleTech.

Public feedback is a force to be reckoned with these days - especially for crowdfunded projects like the ones you've been involved with. What role does it play in your development process?

JW: Our experience with our backers and our fans has been incredibly positive, but you're right that there is an impact. It used to be that you created games in the equivalent of secret bunkers so no one knew what you were working on and you had no idea if people liked what you were working on. Now it's more like developing games in a glass house, we are in constant communication with our backers and fans and get immediate reactions from them which helps us guide development.

After Shadowrun, you now get to work on your other beloved brainchild, <span class="bold">BattleTech</span>. If you had to pick two important similarities and two main differences between these games, what would they be?

JW: Well besides the giant stompy robot things :) Shadowrun is a story driven RPG with tactical combat where as BattleTech is a tactical combat game with story and RPG elements.

Between tabletop, pen & paper, and video games, you've been in the field for almost 40 years now! Any crazy stories to share? What's the thing that keeps you going?

JW: Ok I am old, but not quite that old :) I have had the enormous pleasure of professionally making tabletop and video games for 37 years now. There are too many crazy stories to share and if I did so I wouldn't have time to make the games. What keeps me going? The same thing that started me out all those years ago: I love telling stories in which the players are the heroes and heroines, and I love working with diverse collections of people to make those games and universes come to life.

All three Shadowrun games are up to -80% in our RPG-oriented <span class="bold">Weekly Sale</span>.
BattleTech is scheduled for release later this year.
Post edited July 21, 2017 by maladr0Id
As a backer/fan of Shadowrun and BattleTech, I hope to see more of both in the future.
Oh this explains why the Shadow Run computer games are so good, I didn't realise the original author was on the payroll.

I wonder if we'll see an Earthdawn game at some point.
Ichwillnichtmehr: As a backer/fan of Shadowrun (..), I hope to see more of both in the future.
^ This; All three recent Shadowrun games were great and i'd like to see more too.
I agree with the previous comments, hoping to see more Shadowrun in the future.
mechmouse: Oh this explains why the Shadow Run computer games are so good, I didn't realise the original author was on the payroll.

Not only on the payroll, but he is the boss of HBS ;)

Waiting for the story mode of Battletech after playing the beta and hoping for something with real depth.
So excited for this game. I backed on kickstarter. Beta has been fun.
Shadowrun is awesome. Still have my 10 year old copy of "Schattenläufer" by Markus Heitz. So cool.
Too bad that there are exactly zilch audiobooks about the Shadowrun universe.
Ichwillnichtmehr: As a backer/fan of Shadowrun (..), I hope to see more of both in the future.
Vythonaut: ^ This; All three recent Shadowrun games were great and i'd like to see more too.
Sadly, seeing that they are only a mid-sized studio, they can't work on several games at once.
Doenerman: Shadowrun is awesome. Still have my 10 year old copy of "Schattenläufer" by Markus Heitz. So cool.
Too bad that there are exactly zilch audiobooks about the Shadowrun universe.
I wish new books of the series were easier to find.

"Now it's more like developing games in a glass house, we are in constant communication with our backers and fans and get immediate reactions from them which helps us guide development."
Which doesn't mean the game gets better.
The HBS Shadowrun games always felt underbaked. Like how each game felt like it was lacking in features (like stealth) or balance/roleplaying (weapon balance, races and several roleplaying choices not mattering).
So seeing them returning and trying to adress these issues down the line with a new game would be cool.

As for Battletech my interest in that game is zero. I never liked slow mech games. I'm unsure how popular this upcoming game will be, but I have a feeling it will be on the low-end.

But it's always cool to read interviews like these.
GOG.com: JW: ) Shadowrun is a story driven RPG with tactical combat where as BattleTech is a tactical combat game with story and RPG elements.
That sounds like the political way to say "Battletech is going to have a bad and/or almost non-existent story."

zheprime: The HBS Shadowrun games always felt underbaked. Like how each game felt like it was lacking in features (like stealth) or balance/roleplaying (weapon balance, races and several roleplaying choices not mattering).
And one of the most important features of all: length. I was shocked at how short Dragonfall was. Soon after I thought I had completed 20% of the game, I was disappointed to discover I had actually completed more like 95% of the game.
Post edited July 21, 2017 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
Ancient-Red-Dragon: That sounds like the political way to say "Battletech is going to have a bad and/or almost non-existent story."
More like this is mainly a strategy game like the old Battle Tech board game is. And Shadowrun was a pen and paper RPG and thus the computer game is a RPG.
I somehow still would love a RPG in the Battletech Universe like Crescent Hawks games.
Just watched the Trailer for Bright. Looks a lot has been "borrowed" from shadowrun. I admit it looks cool. If it turns out well i assume a bit of the interest will slosh over to the actual shadowrun. An actual Shadowrun Cyberpunk Movie could be cool.Worst case it sucks and dissappears into nothing.
mechmouse: Oh this explains why the Shadow Run computer games are so good, I didn't realise the original author was on the payroll.

hohiro: Not only on the payroll, but he is the boss of HBS ;)

Waiting for the story mode of Battletech after playing the beta and hoping for something with real depth.
Everything you all just said: I have never heard about Shadowrun before their Kickstarter (because it was only on SNES), and I was more than sceptical: every universe so far, which mixed fantasy and sci-fi looked like Phantasmagoria (pun intended).

Then I saw the first alpha gameplay video and I was hooked, all those emo elves and hacker dwarves looked actually interesting.

And then it came out - it was like reading a well written Cyberpunk novel - for some people first game smelled with paper, I loved it that way.

But then the DLC came out (witch later became standalone) and I lost words - for me, Dragonfall to Shadowrun Returns is like Dark Knight to Batman Begins - everything is there, but more polished and with more depth, and it uses brilliantly everything it could in its advantage (game is more difficult, devs obviously count that you played the first one).

Hong Kong is no worse than Dragonfall (+ included Matrix is finally as developers had wanted it), although I prefer DF more.

And I can´t praise enough how much care went into researching different cultures - authors had captured moods of European cities (Berlin) and Eastern ones (Hong Kong) flawlessly, and it permeates through mentality of characters to the way they view the world - something Mankind Divided completely failed when trying to capture the essence of Prague with their cringe worthy google translated texts.

And because of all that, I am looking forward to BattleTech :)
Post edited July 21, 2017 by Tarhiel