It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Licurg: There's a good one, freeware, called Visual Boy Advance .
VBA-M is even better.
Licurg: There's a good one, freeware, called Visual Boy Advance .
SirPrimalform: VBA-M is even better.
What's the difference ?
Licurg: What's the difference ?
It's a fork which continued after VBA stopped development. VBA has been dead since about 2004.
Post edited February 08, 2014 by SirPrimalform
Licurg: What's the difference ?
SirPrimalform: It's a fork which continued after VBA stopped development. VBA has been dead since about 2004.
Oh... Figures I didn't know that, I only used it shortly in 2006 :/
SirPrimalform: I actually have the means to play it on real hardware... but at the moment I can't be bothered to find my GBA stuff.
I don't get it - was there an actual way for you to play homebrew/indie games on the GBA?
SirPrimalform: I actually have the means to play it on real hardware... but at the moment I can't be bothered to find my GBA stuff.
rampancy: I don't get it - was there an actual way for you to play homebrew/indie games on the GBA?
Well yes, flashcards.
rampancy: I don't get it - was there an actual way for you to play homebrew/indie games on the GBA?
Yeah, not much different in principle from those micro SD adaptors people used for the DS. Except in the case of the GBA, because it addressed the ROM chips in the cartridges directly you needed a much faster kind of flash memory. You would generally flash it with one or two things at a time and you had to completely reflash it when you wanted to change the contents.
They were a lot less convenient than the DS SD adaptors.
Post edited February 08, 2014 by SirPrimalform
high rated
chezybezy: anyone played it? im curious due to the lack of any info :p
Niggles: No
Why dont u be the guinea pig? :P
ya know for the good of the gog community and public safety im going to have to now... :p will report back in a bit

Its not a bad little platformer, orb collection and combat actually feel smooth and behave as expected. there is a nice little 'skid to a stop dust' effect that really shows off the desert environment and in the blown leaves and sky movement in the background combine together to really enhance the windy wasteland feel. Sound effects also add to the environment and although these are expected within the platformer environment these do not get on your nerves when you collect orbs or swipe at a enemy and for that the dev gets a huge thankyou from me; it simply may be the act of getting the sound levels correct but boy does it make such a difference. Oh and no really irritating death sound affect either and the death animation is just long enough to know you have but (again) thankfully not irritate.
It all rounds up into a nice little game that is summed up as a nice little platformer; complete the game, throw in some back story and give us a full game and throw it into a bundle such as IGS or Humble and i think we can leave with a feeling that it was worth the play time, not epic but certainly not bad!

Finally to round up the basic elements the music adds something to it and does change per level / section. Which frankly in a few of the GB titles it always seemed to be there for being there's sake, not so in this case it really does add to the atmosphere.

Im not sure if im allowed to upload the screenshots that come with the 'package' but for the record you get a 5.2mb zip file with the following contents:
- the overstorm gba file, called demo which i can understand why.
- a png sheet of characters
- a png sheet of concepts
- 9 jps of screenshots

I am unable to put my finger on why but playing the game it produces a feeling that it is a cross between donkey kong and tomb raider when ive been playing it. [additional thought added later: maybe throw in a touch of POP for the 'setting' too].

The 'demo / alpha' consists of 5 levels and these are listed on the game selection menu just after 'dev title' logo to allow jumping between which is refreshing to see as a few just lump them one after the other in one long game play.

These levels are are listed as:
Level 1-1 - Death Valley,
Level 2-1 - Abandon Place,
Level 2-3 - Escape,
Level 3-1 - Ruins,
Level 4-3 - Tunnel.

Doing so to me suggests that the devs have the full game worked out and they have provided a selection across the game itself to permit a real feel of the idea before committing to the full development cost and time. Continuing this though it would have been really nice to have a little text file just explaining the devs feeling behind / setting of the game / ideas etc just to give a little back story to allow you to immerse yourself in when you actually get around to playing.

Load up and gameplay are smooth which a few titles in emulators always seemed to cause problems with - i can report no such issues here. oddly it was detected as a GBC game however so i just switched to GBA, using a xbox 360 pad with it just for ease.
Post edited February 08, 2014 by chezybezy
Someone uploaded a video of Overstorm footage. Seems to be a generic platformer..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlx3lrtSJeg
chezybezy:
That long report deserves a REP+ ;)
chezybezy:
Azrael360: That long report deserves a REP+ ;)
aww thanks :) just kinda started and kept going. Public apology for anyone who stated to read and only then realised how long it was :p
spoderman: Someone uploaded a video of Overstorm footage. Seems to be a generic platformer..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlx3lrtSJeg
thanks, i had some recorded but wasnt sure if i was allowed to upload stuff ><
Post edited February 09, 2014 by chezybezy
New deal today is Blood Of The Werewolf (Steam only): https://indiegamestand.com/deal/
Post edited February 12, 2014 by Azrael360
Azrael360: New deal today is Blood Of The Werewolf (Steam only): https://indiegamestand.com/deal/
Oh well. Already got it via groupees spotlight. Game mustnt be doing too well.... they really ought to put a link to the music so people can listen tell if its worth bta
Niggles: Oh well. Already got it via groupees spotlight. Game mustnt be doing too well.... they really ought to put a link to the music so people can listen tell if its worth bta
I think it never was on Groupees Spotlight (you might mistake it for Walden and the Werewolf), but it was in the Groupees Holiday Helpings bundle. And it was DRM-free in that bundle, so the Steam key IGS offers is a very poor deal in my eyes.
Niggles: Oh well. Already got it via groupees spotlight. Game mustnt be doing too well.... they really ought to put a link to the music so people can listen tell if its worth bta
PaterAlf: I think it never was on Groupees Spotlight (you might mistake it for Walden and the Werewolf), but it was in the Groupees Holiday Helpings bundle. And it was DRM-free in that bundle, so the Steam key IGS offers is a very poor deal in my eyes.
It is indeed a very poor deal. I really don't understand why they don't include a DRM-free download; it was DRM-free on Groupees.