It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Leroux: That's too bad. I mean promises are all well and good, but not really relevant in the business world, so unless that online activation-free copy is not for sale yet, I'll just save my money. I voted for Driftmoon on the wishlist though; if one day it should become DRM-free and available on GOG, I'd happily pay for it. Anyway, thanks for your replies, amok!
ville.monkkonen: Just wanted to chime in that there is in fact a DRM free version of Driftmoon available through Desura, and when Driftmoon lands on GOG, it will be similar. :)
Okay, I just picked this up on Desura and I've decided that if it drops here, I'll pick up a GOG copy too. And if not, I'll gift a Desura copy provided it remains a DRM free option when the final version drops.

You've made an awesome game.
fortune_p_dawg: So... if Desura is releasing it DRM-free, why isn't the dev releasing it DRM-free on their own site (this is in no way a dig on the dev, the demo was awesome and they seem nice)?
There's some benefits to using DRM on our own site. Firstly, it's currently built into our automatic updating system, which is very useful considering that the game gets updates rather frequently at this point. And when people who've bought through us send us feedback, it's very easy for us to reply them back. The registration also enables us to welcome the player into the game with his/her own name - that's obviously a minor detail, but we like it anyway.
We've tried to make using the license as simple as possible, you only have to put it in once, and never worry about it again. Then again, anybody who's not a fan of online registration, can get the game from Desura (or perhaps some other convenient location I'm not at liberty to name yet). :)

Nice to notice you've enjoyed Driftmoon, folks! That's why we're making the game, afterall. :)

Ps. Right now we're giving the game a final playtesting round before the first release candidate.
Post edited November 15, 2012 by ville.monkkonen
ville.monkkonen: There's some benefits to using DRM on our own site. Firstly, it's currently built into our automatic updating system, which is very useful considering that the game gets updates rather frequently at this point. And when people who've bought through us send us feedback, it's very easy for us to reply them back. The registration also enables us to welcome the player into the game with his/her own name - that's obviously a minor detail, but we like it anyway.
We've tried to make using the license as simple as possible, you only have to put it in once, and never worry about it again.
Unless you need to re-install it some day, I assume. Anyway, I can totally see the advantage of online registration during this early phase, but have you thought about providing a DRM-free backup copy for your customers (or if possible, patching out the DRM) eventually, when the game is complete and polished and updates become less frequent? I mean not just shortly before you drop out of business, but on principle, to keep your customers happy? Or maybe offer/promise your customers GOG or Desura keys with each direct purchase on your website?
Post edited November 15, 2012 by Leroux
Leroux: Unless you need to re-install it some day, I assume. Anyway, I can totally see the advantage of online registration during this early phase, but have you thought about providing a DRM-free backup copy for your customers (or if possible, patching out the DRM) eventually, when the game is complete and polished and updates become less frequent? I mean not just shortly before you drop out of business, but on principle, to keep your customers happy? Or maybe offer/promise your customers GOG or Desura keys with each direct purchase on your website?
Certainly! Don't see why not, considering it's already available elsewhere. :)
Sounds good. But obvious questions - when or will it be available on gog?. And when will game be finished?
nijuu: Sounds good. But obvious questions - when or will it be available on gog?. And when will game be finished?
Lol! I'm very curious about these details as well (even though I already bought it on Desura).

Ville, I know we're probing the hell out of you regarding GOG, DRM, and everything under the sun... but that's because you've made a excellent excellent indie RPG, not something one sees every day
Ville and GOG have spoken about a release here. As with all GOG discussions with devs they wont tell us ahead of time, Ville on the other hand could be persuaded to spill the beans maybe.

Looking forward to the next release.
Exciting news indeed! Glad I held off preordering on Gamersgate first. This will likely be a day 1 purchase for me.
fortune_p_dawg: Lol! I'm very curious about these details as well (even though I already bought it on Desura).

Ville, I know we're probing the hell out of you regarding GOG, DRM, and everything under the sun... but that's because you've made a excellent excellent indie RPG, not something one sees every day
Thanks! Glad to hear you like it!

We don't have an official release date set yet, but I can say that we've finished all the content, we're just giving it a final round of shine and polish now before handing it to public testing. I'm certainly hopeful that we can release it by Christmas, but I could be off by a few weeks. Our newsletter will let you know everything as soon as we know.

No comment on whether Driftmoon is coming to GOG, or when, but I can certainly say that this is a place I like to buy games from. :)
ville.monkkonen: No comment on whether Driftmoon is coming to GOG, or when, but I can certainly say that this is a place I like to buy games from. :)
:-(
tease :-P
fortune_p_dawg: Lol! I'm very curious about these details as well (even though I already bought it on Desura).

ville.monkkonen: Thanks! Glad to hear you like it!

We don't have an official release date set yet, but I can say that we've finished all the content, we're just giving it a final round of shine and polish now before handing it to public testing. I'm certainly hopeful that we can release it by Christmas, but I could be off by a few weeks. Our newsletter will let you know everything as soon as we know.

No comment on whether Driftmoon is coming to GOG, or when, but I can certainly say that this is a place I like to buy games from. :)
Tease, indeed...
ville.monkkonen: No comment on whether Driftmoon is coming to GOG, or when, but I can certainly say that this is a place I like to buy games from. :)
reaver894: :-(
tease :-P
Very much a tease.. but at least it wasn't a ;)
bumping this incase someone needs reminding to add it to their Christmas list
If GOG doesn't put this up for pre-order, I'll eat my hat :P

(thus it will be an instabuy when it's up on GOG hehe)
Post edited December 12, 2012 by lowyhong
You know, if I was told that I'd get a GOG key once the game was released if I purchased from the developers website beforehand...

Why I might just buy it RIGHT NOW! :)