It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

An open-world, tactical turn-based RPG in a low-fantasy setting from David Kaleta is now available In Development on GOG.COM. Urtuk: The Desolation will let you guide your band of adventurers through the ancient ruins, recruit new followers, and do your best to survive in harsh and unforgiving realm.

Note: This game is currently in development. See the <span class="bold">FAQ</span> to learn more about games in development, and check out the forums to find more information and to stay in touch with the community.
Post edited March 02, 2020 by JudasIscariot
nightcraw1er.488: High fantasy is elves and magic.
Low fantasy is fantasy, but somewhat less fantastical.
i_ni: Like a marriage between dwarf and elf.
No that would be high scaffolding rather than high fantasy.
David Kaleta?

Should I know about him?
Does it matter which (the dwarf or elf) is male or female?
op_2020: Does it matter which (the dwarf or elf) is male or female?
what about the other 87 genders? are u a bigot?
Zoidberg: David Kaleta?

Should I know about him?
I guess single dev
not Croatian, surprisingly, or not so surprisingly.
Post edited March 03, 2020 by BeatriceElysia
Zoidberg: David Kaleta?

Should I know about him?
Yeah you should. He's the cousin of Vito Scaletta.
Orkhepaj: what is low-fantasy?
tremere110: Usually a setting where most fantasy elements are rare. Dwarves, elves, mythical creatures like dragons, magic, undead etc might exist in such a setting but you wouldn't expect to encounter them with any regularity. Depends on the setting of course as some fantasy elements might be more common than others. I don't know anything about this game's setting to tell you one way or another about its world.
Well, the difference between high and low fantasy are not the fantasy elements, but the scale. High fantasy deals with epic conflicts, good vs. evil, world against world and so on. Low fantasy focuses on a smaller scale. The story of a thief, surviving in a cruel city, is low fantasy. Lord of the Rings is an example for high fantasy.
Post edited March 03, 2020 by Maxvorstadt
Orkhepaj: what about the other 87 genders? are u a bigot?
What other genders?
Low Fantasy is something more akin to where things are more low key. Imagine a magic user when he casts a spell the results would be more mundane or not as flashy as opposed to high fantasy you would have spell caters throwing out super power spells like candy at a parade with a lot of flair.

Or in low fantasy finding a magic sword +1 could be a HUGE benefit to getting you through an encounter wherein High fantasy a sword +1 would be an item you could get fairly fast and a very low end weapon.

Some people have said Lord of the Rings is High Fantasy which I somewhat disagree with. If you look at Gandalf for example while he is a powerful being and spell user you never really see his abilities showcase themselves in a very overt way for the most part... typically they are more subtle.

If you look back at ancient myths..something like Beowulf to some degree, in my opinion, would be low fantasy...he kills a dragon with a dagger I think in that haha. WoW on the other hand is a high fantasy setting..over the top armor, weapons and spells...very flashy.
Looks like the same artist as, or similar art style to, Darkest Dungeon.
Post edited March 04, 2020 by DeadlyRamon
game on sale . Is it any good? pro cons?
tremere110: Usually a setting where most fantasy elements are rare. Dwarves, elves, mythical creatures like dragons, magic, undead etc might exist in such a setting but you wouldn't expect to encounter them with any regularity. Depends on the setting of course as some fantasy elements might be more common than others. I don't know anything about this game's setting to tell you one way or another about its world.
Of course, in a low fantasy setting, you (the player character) might still encounter magic much more frequently than a commoner would.

Final Fantasy 6, for example (considering only the early game here). The setting is low magic, but, even in the very first scene of the game:
* You are controlling a group of 3 soldiers wearing MagiTek armor, which involves the combination of magic and technology.
* One of the characters you control, a mysterious young woman, is able to cast spells.
* You encounter a strange being that seems to be magical, and which reacts in some way to that mysterious woman.
* That mysterious woman is the main protagonist (at this point in the game); the game follows her after the event. (Her (default) name is Terra in English versions, for those who are familar with the game.)

As a side note, I could put the fantasy setting of a world on two axes:
* How common magic is. Rare (only a select few can use it, so being able to use magic is a significant plot point (as it is in FF6)), or common (almost everyone can use magic, and it's a part of daily life, to the point where *not* being able to use it is a major plot point (like in SaGa Frontier 2)).
* How powerful magic is. In FF6, it's quite powerful, while in SaGa Frontier 2, it isn't.

As you can see, these axes don't necessarily correlate.

Anyway, back to the game at hand, does the player get access to spells?

Orkhepaj: what about the other 87 genders? are u a bigot?
op_2020: What other genders?
I'm pretty sure that post you replied to wasn't made in good faith.
Post edited March 02, 2021 by dtgreene
Since GoG couldn't and can't be arsed to make an official news entry about it, it's probably worth to once again point out that Urtuk: The Desolation left InDev and had its full release on February, 28th.
Swedrami: Since GoG couldn't and can't be arsed to make an official news entry about it, it's probably worth to once again point out that Urtuk: The Desolation left InDev and had its full release on February, 28th.
Thanks for pointing that out. The game looks interesting.