It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Dive into a fast-paced retro FPS that combines 90s classic shooter elements with modern skill-based FPS controls. Become a fearless warrior who entered Hell seeking revenge! Dread Templar is now available as the game in development on GOG.COM along with a a 10% discount that will last until 21st August 2021, 6 AM UTC!

Also, if you like first-person shooters with a vintage charm, visit the Realms Deep 2021 Festival streamed between 13th and 15th August 2021 on 3D Realms’ Twitch channel.

Note: This game is currently in development. See the <span class="bold">FAQ</span> to learn more about games in development, and check out the forums to find more information and to stay in touch with the community.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
Ancient-Red-Dragon: So it's another Painkiller clone, only with much worse graphics than Painkiller.

I don't understand why games with that formula have any appeal.

Why not just play Painkiller instead?
Sarafan: It has some Quake 1 vibes as well. You could also ask an RPG fan, why does he play Pillars of Eternity when there's Baldur's Gate available. :)
Well - because in RPGs world building and characters are king and I visit another place, meet different people and experience different stories. Also an RPG gameplay system can hugely differ from the next one, so they don't really feel the same, even if it seems that way at first glance.

But Ancient-Red-Dragon's question still stands:
From I what I see on the store page I would rather boot up Shadow Warrior(2013), DOOM or Ion Maiden.
So it would be interesting to hear from someone who plays these kind of games religiously whether there are interesting concepts or tweaks that make him play one game instead of another, the next game instead of the last.
Could be nostalgia is a factor - I did not grow up with DOOM and Quake and started PC gaming much later.
But this can't be the only answer.

Does this game use the Quake I engine? At least it looks so... Anyway, very interesting. Will definitely watch the development.
Why they keep writing and reading new books when there still is the Odyssey available out there? Lol.
I played the demo of this one before it changed into Early Access. Enjoyed my time with it. I'll put it on my wishlist for the moment.
About FREAKIN time!!!
OP_2021: Does this game use the Quake I engine? At least it looks so... Anyway, very interesting. Will definitely watch the development.
It's made in Unity.
OP_2021: Does this game use the Quake I engine? At least it looks so... Anyway, very interesting. Will definitely watch the development.
Berzerk2k2: It's made in Unity.
Thank you for the information. Hmm... (¬‿¬)
Midoryu: Well - because in RPGs world building and characters are king and I visit another place, meet different people and experience different stories. Also an RPG gameplay system can hugely differ from the next one, so they don't really feel the same, even if it seems that way at first glance.
In FPS games there are also meaningful differences. Gunplay, character movement, mob types, map construction. The template is not the same.

Midoryu: From I what I see on the store page I would rather boot up Shadow Warrior(2013), DOOM or Ion Maiden.
Given the first impression, the games you mentioned are probably better (I haven't played Dread Templar yet though). But please remember that they had a bigger budget and more experienced development teams.
Post edited August 15, 2021 by Sarafan
Midoryu: So it would be interesting to hear from someone who plays these kind of games religiously whether there are interesting concepts or tweaks that make him play one game instead of another, the next game instead of the last.
Well as someone who likes the fps genre the most I can say from my point of view that it all comes down to the question "Does this game have good feeling movement, good feeling gunplay and good level design?" When the answer to this question is yes then I'm definitely playing it. I don't really need deep lore that explains everything happening nor do I need a very deep and intriguing story to keep me going. The gameplay is the most important factor and when that part is done right the game is good imo.

Regarding this game: the movement feels good and responsive and the guns feel mostly ok already too. The level design is classic stuff too. Sure while this game is still in development there will be changes and improvements but the first impression of the currently available "In dev" version is definitely a positive one.
BranjoHello: One look at this game made me want to play Undying again for some reason.

Not wishlist material yet, but yeah, could prove to be interesting and get in there in the future.
I had the exact same thought. The positioning of the pistol looks very wide and to the outer edge of the screen a la Undying. The numerical character styling and item looking images in the center also are very similar. Glad I’m not the only one who immediately thought of that classic gem.
Sarafan: In FPS games there are also meaningful differences. Gunplay, character movement, mob types, map construction. The template is not the same. [...]
Yes - and I fully understand that. This was just meant to illustrate why I for example would play a Pillars of Eternity despite owning Baldur's Gate already, I did not intend to say those subtle differences would not exist for shooters as well. Apologies if badly worded.
But with them being more gameplay focused it is of course more difficult to determine in what way they differ from their brethren. Seeing the excitement the game created for most commenters in this thread I was wondering if I'm missing something obvious, as I don't recognize its developer or anything else out of the ordinary.
Most of them just seem happy that those kind of games are still made. Which is totally relatable.

Berzerk2k2: [...]Regarding this game: the movement feels good and responsive and the guns feel mostly ok already too. The level design is classic stuff too.
Sure while this game is still in development there will be changes and improvements but the first impression of the currently available "In dev" version is definitely a positive one.
Thanks for your insight. Glad, you enjoy it so far. As one can see from my initial comment, despite being heavily stealth and/or RPG focused I also can enjoy games that let your wreak havoc once in while. I don't always have the patience for complex stories or walls of text.
Gun feeling and movement are most important for sure. I'll keep a watchful eye out and maybe give it a go when it leaves InDev finally.
All the best to you folks - and the developers of course - in the meantime.

_______
Edited immediately after: Fixed a wrong plural and an adjective.
Post edited August 17, 2021 by Midoryu
just saw this is published by 1C. They have some games on Steam not yet here (I'm sure they aren't high priority but I'd like to see them show up), like Konung 3, Planet Alcatraz, 7,62 series, XIII Century etc.