It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

mrkgnao: Really, Is it so difficult to do a minimum of quality control?

For example:
- Why are both Ultima Underworld called "Ultima Underworld I" (in list view)?
- Where are the serial numbers for HOMM V and Two Worlds 2?
- Why are three Blackwell episodes under B and one under T (in list view)?
- Where are "Avernum 6" and "HOMM V Hammers of Fate"?
- Why are neither of the Wing Commander 5 (Prophecy, Secret Ops) games marked as "Wing Commander 5" (in list view)?
- Why are neither of the Realms of Arkania 1+2 (Blade, Star) marked as either "RoA 1" or "RoA 2" (in list view)? Do I really need to remember which is the first and which the second?
- Why are neither of the Lands of Lore 1+2 (Guardians, Throne) marked as either "LoL 1" or "LoL 2" (in list view)? Do I really need to remember which is the first and which the second?
- Why do unbundled Ultima, M&M, Wing Commander, etc. games not carry trademark/registered marks? You know you will have to add them later and you know it'll mess up our library order again.
- Was it absolutely necessary to use a dash for Dracula 1/2/3 and a colon for Dracula 4/5?
- Was it really necessary to separate "Blades of Avernum" from the other Avernum games?
- Is "Wizardry 7 DOS" really a "Wizardry 6" bonus? Really?

I'm tired...
Blackwell isn't GOG's fault. It's that way on Steam, too, so it's got to do with how the devs submitted the games.

And with that being the case, I'm willing to bet that many of these issues are dev/pub side, not GOG side. Not saying that GOG couldn't do anything about it, but they would definitely want to get the okay from the developers or publishers before changing the titles of the games, even something as small as changing a dash to a colon to match the rest of a series.
JaqFrost: I think they're counting on most of that large part to be complacent enough to keep buying games, the others are collateral damage in the big quest to push out their Galaxy client and convert the hordes of Steamheads to throw money at them. I don't think they care too much about most of us forum users because we're the old guard who are here for ideological reasons and we don't have anywhere else to go because there are no real DRM-free alternatives.
At least they shouldn't try to feed us blatant lies like "several people asked us to do this". It sounds EXACTLY like the "Everyone wants the prices to be shown in local currency! I know for sure because a couple friends of mine from France are always confused about how much they will pay for a game" crap i've read back then and it smells equally bad.
Amedeus: Blackwell isn't GOG's fault. It's that way on Steam, too, so it's got to do with how the devs submitted the games.
If you look at the planned list, the intention was to call it Blackwell Episode 1 - The Blackwell Legacy, Blackwell Episode 2 - Blackwell Unbound, etc.

Additionally, "The Blackwell Epiphany" is under B, as "Blackwell Epiphany, The"

Amedeus: And with that being the case, I'm willing to bet that many of these issues are dev/pub side, not GOG side. Not saying that GOG couldn't do anything about it, but they would definitely want to get the okay from the developers or publishers before changing the titles of the games, even something as small as changing a dash to a colon to match the rest of a series.
I seriously doubt that there is a publisher that insists that for years Annihilation should be spelled Anihilation, or Edition be spelled Eddition. Real examples from GOG's directory names.
I know I'm duplicating some of the other feedback so far, but here goes:

Grargar: OK. Casualties reporting:

- Avernum: Complete Saga has been split into Avernum 1, Avernum 2, Avernum 3, Avernum 4, Avernum 5 and Blades of Avernum. Yup, no Avernum 6 to be found. Not cool.
For that matter, why is "Blades of Avernum" under "B," when the cover clearly shows that the title is "Avernum: Blades of Avernum"? Going with the box title would be preferable, since it would keep the games together. I'd echo that for the Lands of Lore and Realms of Arkania games. (You've already done this with the Deponia games.)

As it is, the only way I'll be able to tell what order these are supposed to be played in is by going to the game card to look it up... oh, but wait! To do that, I'll have to go to "search," look the games up in the catalog, and find the game card, since this unbundling broke all the bundled games' links to the game cards. *headdesk*

What I don't understand is the wild inconsistency with episodic games. If they came in episodes, they're still one game. If you're going to insist on splitting Cognition, Supreme League of Patriots, and heck, even Heroes Chronicles, then you should also split the Sam & Max games, Back to the Future, Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms, Dreamfall Chapters, etc. (NO, I do NOT think splitting these is a good idea.) I know GOG staff has said in the past that it depends on how they get the episodes from the publishers, but c'mon. Similarly, I don't understand why the expansions were split out. That makes no sense - and it wasn't consistent, either. NWN and NWN 2, or Spellforce Platinum, weren't split, for example.

Additionally:
* The first DROD game comes after 2, 3, and 4, since it doesn't have a number in the title. Annoying.
* The Gabriel Knight games have always done this also (2, 3, 1) - also annoying. (Same with the Legacy of Kain games; if you can insert "[chapter x]" or otherwise hard code the sorting for other games, you could totally fix this one.)
* The randomly-missing ™ and ® codes are screwing up sorting. For example, I've got HOMM V, HOMM V: Tribe of the East, HOMM, HOMM II, etc.
* The Historyline game's artwork actually says Battle Isle: Historyline, which would put it back with the rest of the games.
* The EGA releases of LSL I and VI had different box art than the VGA re-releases, although I would actually prefer to see one box used, with the EGA/VGA versions as download options.
* The Quest for Glory series had different box art for each game (and re-release, for QfG I). Where is the EGA version of QfG I, for that matter?
* Realms of Arkania 3 is followed by numberless RoA games, with different characters used (: and - ).
* Unrelated to this, but even more noticeable now: Could we please consolidate TIE Fighter 1994 and 1998 into one box with different download options?

On the bright side, this finally got that King's Bounty game out of the middle of the King's Quest games. (Which don't seem to have been fully unbundled, as I still have KQI-II-III and KQ IV-V-VI, but KQ VII and VIII as separate items.)

Extremely inconsistent alphabetizing is still at work. *sigh* Please ignore all "The" in game titles! It's silly as heck to have four Blackwell games under "B" but one under "T," or Black Mirror II under "B" and the first game under "T."

Heck, if you're going to do this, why not put all the Longest Journey/Dreamfall games and Myst games together?

I have nothing against the unbundling in and of itself, but this like this, and the other minor-but-easily-fixable quality control issues that have been reported is ridiculous. I would be embarrassed to have something like this on a personal website, let alone a business site.
Amedeus: Blackwell isn't GOG's fault. It's that way on Steam, too, so it's got to do with how the devs submitted the games.
mrkgnao: If you look at the planned list, the intention was to call it Blackwell Episode 1 - The Blackwell Legacy, Blackwell Episode 2 - Blackwell Unbound, etc.

Additionally, "The Blackwell Epiphany" is under B, as "Blackwell Epiphany, The"

Amedeus: And with that being the case, I'm willing to bet that many of these issues are dev/pub side, not GOG side. Not saying that GOG couldn't do anything about it, but they would definitely want to get the okay from the developers or publishers before changing the titles of the games, even something as small as changing a dash to a colon to match the rest of a series.
mrkgnao: I seriously doubt that there is a publisher that insists that for years Annihilation should be spelled Anihilation, or Edition be spelled Eddition. Real examples from GOG's directory names.
You're... not really listening, are you? Blackwell is like that on both GOG and Steam. It's not a problem with GOG unless GOG and Valve both somehow managed to screw up in bizarrely the very precisely exact same way. As for your second point, I said many. Keyword there: "many". That there are a couple examples which are probably not pub/dev side does not indicate that ALL examples are not pub/dev side.
Shendue: At least they shouldn't try to feed us blatant lies like "several people asked us to do this". It sounds EXACTLY like the "Everyone wants the prices to be shown in local currency! I know for sure because a couple friends of mine from France are always confused about how much they will pay for a game" crap i've read back then and it smells equally bad.
While I agree with you that the lies are insultingly transparent, it is their attempt at spin. They are not going to outright tell us they don't care how we feel because that would alienate even the most optimistic or apathetic of users. They don't want to see a dip in sales and telling the brutally honest truth that they don't care about the community or our protests as long as we keep spending money would most certainly make a lot of people put away their wallets.

To be perfectly honest, a lot of people are desperate to believe those lies; you see posters all over the forum trying to spin the spin into something more positive. They are advocating a wait-and-see approach to the awesomeness that is sure to ensue if we just have faith. As long as those people spend their hard earned dime here, GOG won't care because the other DRM-free venues are too small and don't really have active forums either, so for better or worse, we are stuck in this limbo.
Amedeus: You're... not really listening, are you? Blackwell is like that on both GOG and Steam. It's not a problem with GOG unless GOG and Valve both somehow managed to screw up in bizarrely the very precisely exact same way. As for your second point, I said many. Keyword there: "many". That there are a couple examples which are probably not pub/dev side does not indicate that ALL examples are not pub/dev side.
sadly i have to agree .... :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackwell_%28series%29
Shendue: At least they shouldn't try to feed us blatant lies like "several people asked us to do this". It sounds EXACTLY like the "Everyone wants the prices to be shown in local currency! I know for sure because a couple friends of mine from France are always confused about how much they will pay for a game" crap i've read back then and it smells equally bad.
JaqFrost: While I agree with you that the lies are insultingly transparent, it is their attempt at spin. They are not going to outright tell us they don't care how we feel because that would alienate even the most optimistic or apathetic of users. They don't want to see a dip in sales and telling the brutally honest truth that they don't care about the community or our protests as long as we keep spending money would most certainly make a lot of people put away their wallets.

To be perfectly honest, a lot of people are desperate to believe those lies; you see posters all over the forum trying to spin the spin into something more positive. They are advocating a wait-and-see approach to the awesomeness that is sure to ensue if we just have faith. As long as those people spend their hard earned dime here, GOG won't care because the other DRM-free venues are too small and don't really have active forums either, so for better or worse, we are stuck in this limbo.
Well put. +1.
Amedeus: You're... not really listening, are you? Blackwell is like that on both GOG and Steam. It's not a problem with GOG unless GOG and Valve both somehow managed to screw up in bizarrely the very precisely exact same way. As for your second point, I said many. Keyword there: "many". That there are a couple examples which are probably not pub/dev side does not indicate that ALL examples are not pub/dev side.
DyNaer: sadly i have to agree .... :(
You really think Wadjet Eye insisted on it being "The Blackwell Legacy" and "Blackwell Epiphany, The"?
Post edited March 17, 2015 by mrkgnao
mrkgnao: You really think Wadjet Eye insisted on it being "The Blackwell Legacy" and "Blackwell Epiphany, The"?
well , no i don't think check their website with the different names of each game of the serie, it's sort of funny ,

all have "the" except unbound. (in the full page of the game)

http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/games/

i should have checked the devs website, wikepedia is far from reliable as asual.
Post edited March 17, 2015 by DyNaer

And with that being the case, I'm willing to bet that many of these issues are dev/pub side, not GOG side. Not saying that GOG couldn't do anything about it, but they would definitely want to get the okay from the developers or publishers before changing the titles of the games, even something as small as changing a dash to a colon to match the rest of a series.
That's clearly something you know before you start such a mess. You easily could prevent that e.g. by making your own logic for the directory names and sort the games by that names. But as mrkgnao already wrote above these directory names are not even spelled correctly, nor do they contain any logic or systematics. So even when it\s not GOGs fault directly they could have prevented that mess. Amateurs on most Linux distributions do a better job of planning and testing when they release a new version ...
Nice idea! So it'll be great and easier for all of us. Let's see how this will turn out. I'm looking forward to it.
Oh my god, I just gained 73 games.

Well.

Some of the new boxes look nice. Some do not. Am I seeing things... did some expansions get unbundled?

Ah... mrkgnao, as usual, is 100% in front of the curve.

Well... good luck to us, I suppose. Nice thoughts, I think, but... typical GOG whhhUUUUUps execution.

And I see my good friend, Mr. Blank Spot, is back.

Can I just have links to the game cards back at least?
yogsloth: Oh my god, I just gained 73 games.
That's so bizarre... I own 1/3 of the catalogue with many many games that are collections and still haven't seen any unbundled games yet in my library. How 73 games could have randomly missed every title I own is mind blowing. :) Perhaps they're testing it all on the rest of you so it is sorted out by the time it gets to me! :oP
I am also in favor of the games remaining bundled.
yogsloth: Oh my god, I just gained 73 games.
skeletonbow: That's so bizarre... I own 1/3 of the catalogue with many many games that are collections and still haven't seen any unbundled games yet in my library. How 73 games could have randomly missed every title I own is mind blowing. :) Perhaps they're testing it all on the rest of you so it is sorted out by the time it gets to me! :oP
you need to refresh your account.