It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Could you specify your power supply unit? As some others mentioned, it's most likely some power supply or overheating issue.

Try running some benchmark programs, to check if they also trigger these shutdowns. Also, isn't there some problem with some older 3D games, where the GPU renders way too many frames per second? You could try activating V-Sync or use some kind of FPS limiter for Crysis 1. Also, do some further testing with Crysis 3 or other demanding games, just to further narrow down the potential source of the problem.
Post edited April 18, 2015 by CharlesGrey
CharlesGrey: Could you specify your power supply unit? As some others mentioned, it's most likely some power supply or overheating issue.

Try running some benchmark programs, to check if they also trigger these shutdowns. Also, isn't there some problem with some older 3D games, where the GPU renders way too many frames per second? You could try activating V-Sync or use some kind of FPS limiter for Crysis 1. Also, do some further testing with Crysis 3 or other demanding games, just to further narrow down the potential source of the problem.
I once had a similar problem with a new card.

My system worked fine with all games.

With the new card, one game in particular always caused a crash (it was the hacking scene in Fallout3).

It was diagnosed as faulty memory on the graphics card.

This might not be your problem, but it is the first thing I believe that you should rule out.

Edit: meant for reply to Elmofongo
Post edited April 18, 2015 by lazydog
CharlesGrey: Could you specify your power supply unit? As some others mentioned, it's most likely some power supply or overheating issue.
Most of the "newer" cards (starting with 9800GT I think for Nvidia) will just throttle down if they overheat, so you'd get a sudden drop in frame rates, not a system restart.

I don't think it's the power supply either, at least not if Crysis 3 is playable without issues.

It may be a driver glitch (yes, they can cause system restarts under certain conditions), or rather a driver incompatibility that's causing these issues.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, tests out older games with newer boards/drivers, so you're stepping into a vast unknown of backwards compatibility when buying a latest-gen card.
I posted a similar post a few days ago I still haven't gotten around to try some of the suggestions but maybe they will help you out.
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/so_could_anyone_help_me_figure_out_what_this_issue_is/page1
WinterSnowfall: Most of the "newer" cards (starting with 9800GT I think for Nvidia) will just throttle down if they overheat, so you'd get a sudden drop in frame rates, not a system restart.

I don't think it's the power supply either, at least not if Crysis 3 is playable without issues.

It may be a driver glitch (yes, they can cause system restarts under certain conditions), or rather a driver incompatibility that's causing these issues.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, tests out older games with newer boards/drivers, so you're stepping into a vast unknown of backwards compatibility when buying a latest-gen card.
If it's really a driver incompatibility issue, then there should be other posts about it on the web, especially when it's a game as popular as Crysis. OP might want to do a little research on that, just to rule out that option. ( Or to find a solution to his problem, ideally. )
WinterSnowfall: Most of the "newer" cards (starting with 9800GT I think for Nvidia) will just throttle down if they overheat, so you'd get a sudden drop in frame rates, not a system restart.

CharlesGrey: If it's really a driver incompatibility issue, then there should be other posts about it on the web, especially when it's a game as popular as Crysis. OP might want to do a little research on that, just to rule out that option. ( Or to find a solution to his problem, ideally. )
Makes me wonder even older games like Baldur's Gate and Diablo 1 will handle under this 970?
They handle fine. Diablo requires some tweaking for the new OS, BG runs like a charm