It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

pezhead53: I know it's almost over, but I just wanted to wish you all a Happy Talk-Like-A-Pirate-Day, HE-style!

Aargh!!
tfishell: Was this Freddi Fish 1 or 2? :D I played 2 a long time ago (but don't remember this), but I never played 1.

Good stuff!
It's from the first one, Freddi Fish and the Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds. Some HD-ified art on Facebook implies that this one is coming up after Putt-Putt Joins the Circus in Nimbus' mobile re-release lineup.
tfishell: Was this Freddi Fish 1 or 2? :D I played 2 a long time ago (but don't remember this), but I never played 1.

Good stuff!
pezhead53: It's from the first one, Freddi Fish and the Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds. Some HD-ified art on Facebook implies that this one is coming up after Putt-Putt Joins the Circus in Nimbus' mobile re-release lineup.
Nice, I hope they're continuing to have success with the iOS market. Still want them SCUMM versions on here, though. :)
On Twitter recently someone asked Ron Gilbert who his favorite character was from all the games he worked on. He didn't say someone like Guybrush or Bernard Bernoulli.

He said Pajama Sam. :)
Post edited September 20, 2013 by mondo84
mondo84: On Twitter recently someone asked Ron Gilbert who his favorite character was from all the games he worked on. He didn't say someone like Guybrush or Bernard Bernoulli.

He said Pajama Sam. :)
Took advantage of that to tag GOG and Tommo together again. ;)

By the way, I found this excellent video from Jordan Underneath talking about what made Humongous games so great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7MkCixAq20 People should check it out when they get a chance.
Some minor news has popped up recently. Putt-Putt Joins the Circus has been submitted to Apple and is awaiting approval for the App Store. Also, Freddi Fish and the Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds is now available for Android, the first time that Nimbus has released the android port before iOS. For those interested, there are ways to run Android on PC, although I've never personally tried it.

EDIT: Apparently, Missing Kelp Seeds is also finished for iOS and is pending Apple's approval. There seems to be a delay in the process, probably a combination of iOS 7 causing a lot of apps to need updating at once, and Nimbus being pretty small potatoes in Apple's eyes.
Post edited October 02, 2013 by pezhead53
pezhead53: ...
Good stuff. I'm wishing Nimbus the best with the iOS/Android market, while hoping GOG still takes advantage of Tommo being aboard here. https://www.facebook.com/groups/24857172445/permalink/10151904708717446/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Some stuff people might find amusing (if anybody still comes across this thread :P):

I created this image and submitted it to r/gaming entitled, "What Does the (Spy) Fox Say?"

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1n7cnj/what_does_the_spy_fox_say/

"Best game." - Skinnnn3r

"Anywhere that I can download these games?" - studmuffffffin

"Pajama Sam is my god." - awesomebbq

"I feel that Spy Fox is a Toy Story sort of deal, where you have to go back when you're older and see if there's any sophisticated or otherwise "out-of-place" humor you missed. I remember one game had a reference to the "shaken not stirred" line, which young kids are not going to recognize." - 3controversial5you

"Man I remember playing this every morning as a kid waiting on the bus. Some Assembly Required was my shit." - chieflong

"Spy Fox was my biggest role model growing up." - chieflong

"Holy fuck I completely forgot about this game entirely, I loved this game so much!!!!" - LicianDragon

"Although he may only be the second or third best Video Game Fox (Fennekin's placement is unknown as of now), Spy will always have a place in my heart, much like every other Humongous game character I grew up with." - ContinuumGuy

"This was one of my favorites! I played this, Pajama Sam, Putt-Putt..... and Freddie Fish. Spy Fox was always the hardest and most complicated IMO.... It challenged me the most and I enjoyed it.
I will never forget Fatty Bear though.... that was the first one I ever played that was a point and click, along with the Putt-Putt parade one. Oh, Fatty Bear..." - Squishered

"Spy-fox some assembly required was my life." - secret759

"Best. Point-and-click adventure. Ever." - Rutgerman95

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Ray from Achievement Hunter mentioned Pajama Sam (and a Magic Schoolbus game) on the Nuketown Black Ops video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sjuVFkA35E, starting around 1:45: "Think we could do a 4-way speedrun of Pajama Sam on the PC?"

lol
Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo is going to be released tomorrow on Big fish games.

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/24839/putt-putt-saves-the-zoo/index.html

Don't think it'll be on GOG anytime soon.
Alfie3000: Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo is going to be released tomorrow on Big fish games.

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/24839/putt-putt-saves-the-zoo/index.html

Don't think it'll be on GOG anytime soon.
Big Fish makes some sense for Nimbus releases as that service is a bit more casual, family-oriented. (And Putt-Putt is the "sappiest" out of the four main Humongous series.) I don't know if Nimbus has a certain period of exclusivity for all Humongous games, it's possible, but I do know these points:

--Tommo Inc. bought the rights to the Humongous catalog and Tommo is here because they also bought some other Atari IPs like Pirates! and Dragonsphere

--I don't think Turnipslayerr will mind me saying this: GOG has "definitely not rejected" the games, but they are very busy with other things at the moment.

I think we could still see some of these show up in the coming months (because GOG still has the "nostalgia" crowd to sell to), but the Putt-Putt series will probably be close to last.
The other day, I e-mailed Nimbus just flat-out asking if they thought a GOG release could ever happen. They responded with this:
"Thanks for your email, good to hear from you.
We attempted to purchase the IP for (sic) Atari but failed to a higher bidder.
So the future of these wonderful games is currently in question.
Stay tuned for more news as it comes.
Your Support Team"
This seems to imply Nimbus is currently still operating under the contract they had with Atari, and Tommo either has not yet renewed/created a new contract, or has no intentions to. Thinking of Nimbus' contract gave me a thought, what if that Atari contract forbade them from using ScummVM? That would sorta make sense, given the whole Wii port lawsuit ([url=http://games.slashdot.org/story/09/06/24/1449254/atari-sub-sub-contractor-used-scummvm-for-wii-game)]more info here[/url]). That would at least partially explain why Nimbus hasn't released here, as so far Saves the Zoo is the only game they've made modern PC compatible.

Also, while it's not directly related, I thought it'd be important to note Tommo has recently gotten into a bit of hot water with SNK about the Neo Geo X Gold (more info here). Something like this could potentially go to court, which obviously wouldn't be too good for Tommo and by extension, the HE IPs.
As I've said before, I still think these games have a place on GOG, despite Nimbus Games having them on the iOS/Android market, and even re-releasing one or more for PC on Big Fish Games (which I think are kind of overpriced). I'll gladly direct people to Nimbus for the portable versions, but I'd like to be able to direct them here for the original Scumm versions.

Some more evidence of their popularity:

This image of Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon was posted a few days ago on r/gaming, garnering a significant 1,500 positive votes. http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1r24dd/i_got_in_trouble_for_staying_up_past_my_bedtime/

"This was one of the best game developers of my childhood. They also made backyard sports."

"FREDDIE FISH! Haha wow! OMG so many memories!"

"Pajama Sam and Spy Fox were also THE SHIT."

"I did not know there was a putt putt goes to the moon. I played the zoo one for countless hours. But now I gotta find a way to play this one."

My comment - "Humongous Entertainment was the shiznit.
You can get many of the games for iOS or Android through Nimbus Games - http://nimbusgames.com/. Personally, I'm trying to raise support to get the original SCUMM versions onto GOG.com."

"Man, this game was the shit. I remember the alien hotel, meeting the man on the moon, losing your dog, and all kinds of other shit like that. IIRC, I also had Putt-Putt goes to the Zoo, to the fair, and Fatty Bear."

"Putt Putt, Pajama Sam, Freddie Fish, and Spyfox were my shit when I was a kid."

"I loved Humongous' games as a kid. Spy Fox and Putt-Putt were my two favorites. Their Backyard <insert sport here> series was also good."

"That is literally the only Humongous Game that I havn't played. Someday I gotta buy that thing..."

"I still play putt putt enters the race."

"Freddie the fish, spy fox, pajama Sam, and Putt Putt sigh I miss them"

"My 19 YO son was going through his crap and found a Freddi Fish disk. My 16 and 11 YO girls screamed in delight when they saw it and asked if it would work on their current-day laptops. I tried i, and it installed just fine. What a fun little game."

"my favorite game when i was a kid. This one rocks!"

"Best childhood games... ever."

"The putt-putt series used to be the best"

Also, yesterday I was helping out a group of people, and one of the youngin's had a laptop with him, and a couple of CD cases. One of those CDs was Spy Fox "Some Assembly Required". This game was made in 2001, and is still kickin' around today, which to me speaks a little to these games' timeless nature.
Happy December, HE fans!
Just thought I'd let those who don't use social media know that Nimbus is currently holdinga contest and giving away free copies of their games! It's basically kinda like an advent calendar where each day an HE character is behind a numbered door, and the first letter of the name corresponds with that number (for example, today was the 1st, so the character name started with A, Andrew Glimmer). If you email Nimbus and guess the next day's character, you can win! Good luck anyone who decides to enter.

On a semi-related note, while aimlessly browsing the web for nothing in particular (something I do far more often than I would care to admit), I found this blog post about Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo, written by Heather Refvem aka Sammy the Seal's Voice Actress, as well as this BuzzFeed article (check number 36).
http://www.amazon.com/Pajama-Need-Hide-When-Outside/product-reviews/B00004UCUS/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_5?ie=UTF8&amp;filterBy=addFiveStar&amp;showViewpoints=0&amp;sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

I was browsing some HE games on Amazon and found these reviews for Pajama Sam: "Great game for teenagers too! My fifteen year old son loves the Pajama Sam computer games. Don't hesitate to buy this for your teenager if they are interesting in computer games. They will love it too! " & "Great Game for all ages. This game is great for kids of all ages. It is challenging enough for older kids and entertaining enough for younger."

Just my way of continuing to provide evidence these are still good old games that almost everyone can enjoy. ;)
http://www.reddit.com/r/nostalgia/comments/1t3whb/this_is_what_made_me_start_playing_computer_games/

"I checked out Putt Putt Saves the Zoo from the library every 2 weeks."
Happy almost New Year!
I recently found this Article from July on Gamasutra with SCUMM engine co-creator Aric Wilmunder talking about the creation and legacy of the engine. The article is long, but it's a very good read if you're into those kind of things and, while primarily about LucasArts, does contain a few mentions to the Humongous games.

Also on Nimbus' Facebook page, while their December giveaway recently wrapped up, they've continued with their avent-calender-esque cover picture, culminating on Dec. 31. Is this simply for the New Year, or might they be counting down to something else? Only time will tell.
Honestly I agree that children's games should be added to this service. HE games were my first big expierence with PC gamingm and now that I have little cousins just now figuring out the computer themselves I'd love to pass on the sentiment.

However, I think we should expand passed just HE games. I remember one particular game called Welcome To Bodyland, which was a human anatomy learning game for 1st graders, that I played quite a bit of. I also remember this one game that dealt with the going ons inside an airport. Had this cool minigame where you get the right colored briefcases into the right slots, and you could color pictures...

I'm going on a tangent, but in short: I think it would be excellent to include more children's games at all, not just HE. (But especially HE cause Freddi Fish is great.)