It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

HiPhish: In case of an SWF file there is only one dependency: the Flash player.
You mean the browser? Or the standalone Adobe Flash Player? Or a Flash decompiler?

HiPhish: In case of a game written in an actual language you need compiled dependencies (DLL files and such), none of which are documented anywhere. That is what the installer is for, it installs these dependencies on your system.
Engine dependent. Games may require them, or they may not. Some games can use the DLLs that are in the game's directory (and distributed with the game), others may not need any of them.
Take Diablo 2 for example, or JA2. Move the installed files to any computer, and they work. Add them to a flash drive, play from said drive. No dependencies, all DLL files included with the games.
But again, if said games are distributed as zip files (or unpacked ones), they are not DRM-Free, because they don't have an installer.
P.S. What if there's a .bat or .cmd file that installs the dependencies, but you still get just a bunch of files and no installer? Does that change the DRM-Free status of the game or not?
Let me derail this thread to announce the next Weekly Bundle:

<span class="bold">Humble Weekly Bundle: Valentine's Day 2</span>

PWYW ($1 for Steam keys)
Hatoful Boyfriend
Asphyxia
Loren the Amazon Princess

BTA
The Royal Trap
Sakura Spirit

$11
WORLD END ECONOMiCA episode.02
TyranoBuilder

$35
Valentine's Day 2 Love Pants

All games are DRM-Free+Steam and multiplatform, except for WORLD END ECONOMiCA episode.02, which is Windows-only and TyranoBuilder, which has no Linux version.

You can also download a Valentine's Day 2 Party Pack for free.

I'm pretty sure it's not 14 February yet.
Post edited October 15, 2015 by Grargar
Worst. Bundle. Ever.
Grargar: Humble Weekly Bundle: Valentine's Day 2[/url]
Omg, did I sleep for 4 months? o.O
Grargar: Let me derail this thread to announce the next Weekly Bundle:

Nice bundle. I'll probably grab the $1 tier as i already have Sakura Spirit.
Impaler26: Nice bundle. I'll probably grab the $1 tier as i already have Sakura Spirit.
But then you won't get the love pants :P
Impaler26: Nice bundle. I'll probably grab the $1 tier as i already have Sakura Spirit.
pablodusk: But then you won't get the love pants :P
Oh, i should get the highest tier and send those love pants to your mum! :P

;)
Grargar: Let me derail this thread to announce the next Weekly Bundle:

Yup, just saw this. I already have TyranoBuilder so this tier is out and I'm not necessarly interested in Sakura Spirit so I'll be fully satisfied with the 1$ tier as I was always curious about Hatoful and Asphyxia. For Loren, I already have it, It's a cool game, made by Winter Wolves as usual ^o^

BTW, for those curious if they should get the 11$ tier with TyranoBuilder, I played a bit the program 2 months ago and it's very intuitive and well designed for basic stories with branching. Interestingly, there was a special jam organized around this game engine recently so you can check some small games directly made with it:
https://itch.io/jam/tyranojam15#entries

pablodusk: But then you won't get the love pants :P
Impaler26: Oh, i should get the highest tier and send those love pants to your mum! :P

;)
I think we should buy those for some of the GOG staff ^o^
Post edited October 15, 2015 by catpower1980
high rated
I just decided to save $14 on Loren by buying the top tier instead of from WW site, which had always been a possibility for me since they're probably not coming here soon. Some other stuff came with it.
Is the DRM-free version of Loren uncensored ?
Also, is the DRM-Free version of Loren the deluxe version? The description is a bit unclear.
pablodusk: Also, is the DRM-Free version of Loren the deluxe version? The description is a bit unclear.
I can't say for certain until I get home, but the DRM-free entry in the Humble Library is simply "Loren The Amazon Princess" while the Steam key listed just below it is labeled "Loren The Amazon Princess - Deluxe Edition".
Grargar: snip
Man that looks horrible.
JMich: P.S. What if there's a .bat or .cmd file that installs the dependencies, but you still get just a bunch of files and no installer? Does that change the DRM-Free status of the game or not?
That's fine, all that matters is that a game's distribution has all dependencies and can be installed properly. On OS X for example an app is really just a folder with ".app" as its extension and all dependencies are included in that folder.
HiPhish: That's fine, all that matters is that a game's distribution has all dependencies and can be installed properly.
Which covers all the games in this thread. Even if they don't have an installer, all dependencies (if any) are there, as well as the needed registry entries. May have to parse the registry entries to add them, but they are included.
Which is what was my point when I started this discussion, that an installer is not needed to claim a game is DRM-Free, as long as the distributed files contain everything required, and you can move the game to any computer you want. An installer simplifies it, but isn't required. In my opinion of course :)