It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

75% of voters say we should let an international body handle the issue. Let's see if they fare any better than we might've done ourselves.
==== Overview ====
Civil Rights: Excellent (69)
Economy: Good (46)
Political Freedoms: Excellent (72)

The Free Land of Gogan is a massive, genial nation, ruled by Doctor Marcin with an even hand, and renowned for its sprawling nuclear power plants. Its compassionate, intelligent population of 2.161 billion have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it devotes most of its attentions to Education, with areas such as Religion & Spirituality and Defence receiving almost no funds by comparison. The average income tax rate is 55%, and even higher for the wealthy. A healthy private sector is dominated by the Book Publishing industry.

Radio shows frequently feature people denouncing religion, prime real estate is devoted to wind farms and solar energy generators, euthanasia is legal, and the government seeks peaceful forum with terrorists. Crime is totally unknown. Gogan's national animal is the Goglodyte, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the Gog.

Gogan is ranked 4,606th in The North Pacific and 107,455th in the world for Most Politically Apathetic Citizens, with -8 Whatever.

==== Issues ====
No changes in the overview (except the daily ranking line, population count and inherent randomness of statements), due to dismissing the issue last time.

Relief is Coming... in Four to Six Weeks (issue 328)
A hurricane recently devastated one of Gogan's island chains causing billions of Gogs in damage and displacing millions of citizens. The national emergency services are doing their best to meet the needs of the crisis, but with the recent airplane ban, relief is taking much longer to come to those affected.

1. "My house is gone, my neighborhood flooded, where's my government?" shouts disgruntled evacuee Peter Trax over the phone. "These islands are a thousand miles off the coast. We'll be waiting weeks for what limited resources our emergency services can provide with the few ships they have. I'll be lucky if I get a bottle of water. It's clear to me that the government didn't give a second thought to all the ramifications of banning airplanes, and now we, the citizens, are paying for it! If you have any compassion for the well-being of your people, you'll legalize air travel again and send help toot sweet!"

2. "Take a deep breath, Doctor Marcin," advises your Minister of the Environment Megan Pushkin, "You smell that? That's clean air. And when was the last time you read about a terrorist taking over an airliner? Oh that's right; there hasn't been one since the ban. If anything, we should have stricter environmental standards on cars and ships. Listen, it's unfortunate that these people are having their relief delayed, but maybe that'll motivate them to adequately prepare next time. They decided to live in a hurricane zone after all."

3. "Obviously, we goofed," says your Minister of Transportation Chastity Peters, "These sorts of humanitarian mess-ups shouldn't happen. But we shouldn't be willing to sacrifice all the benefits of the ban either. We should legalize air travel for government use only. That way necessary services won't be delayed, but we won't wreck our environment or endanger our nation. As an added bonus, you'll be able to go to international conferences without having to drive across the border to use Maxtopia's airports first."

==== Public announcement ====
328:1

The well-being of our citizens must come first, the "they decided to live in a hurricane zone" argument is stupid and patronizing, natural catastrophes are prone to happen everywhere. The third option would make our government look like opportunistic in the eyes of our people, willing to open exceptions that only serve our own purposes. We gain more from being genuinely concerned and helpful.
328:3
328:1 - Airlines only for government use? Yeah, that will never be abused!
328: 1 - I immigrated to Gogan after airlines were banned, so I don't know the reason behind that, but I think this situation exhibits that air travel has benefits, especially for relief efforts.
328:3 - Emergency air service makes sense. I just wish we could keep it banned for other government uses. Going to a conference is NOT an emergency!
328:1
328:1 - Let's legalize airplanes again, airplanes only for goverment use doesn't sound very good...
328:1 - I didn't know we had a ban on planes.

For the curious:
Issue 24 - All planes banned
Issue 83 - Government air travel legalized
Issue 182 - All planes banned
Issue 266 - Dismissed

Issue 328 is identical to 83 and 266.
328: 1
328:3 - Let's keep working towards an eco-friendly utopia while making sure we have the resources to act adequately in emergency situations. I share Lifthrasil's opinion though.
328:1 - Cars banned, planes banned. Seriously? What's next, the banning of heating?
The planes have DRM. Just consider all the hoops you have to jump through to get on one. DRM free travel is the way to go.
Post edited April 18, 2014 by Mrstarker