It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

323: 4
323: dismiss

Receycling is a good idea, but shooting the rest of the garbage into space is just crazy. Burning part of it is also a good idea and can create energy without heavy pollution. Unfortunately that doesn't work for all the stuff.

Don't like the other two solutions.
323: dismiss - ignore the problem and it will go away! ;-)
323:3 - A dump today and a pile of resources tomorrow.
With an equal number of votes for letting our people take care of our shit (paying them to do so, of course) and for dismissal, the issue wil be dismissed.
==== Overview ====
Civil Rights: Very Good (68)
Economy: Good (46)
Political Freedoms: Excellent (72)

The Free Land of Gogan is a massive, environmentally stunning nation, ruled by Doctor Marcin with an even hand, and notable for its ban on automobiles. Its compassionate, intelligent population of 2.136 billion have some civil rights, but not too many, enjoy the freedom to spend their money however they like, to a point, and take part in free and open elections, although not too often.

It is difficult to tell where the omnipresent government stops and the rest of society begins, but it devotes most of its attentions to Education, with areas such as Religion & Spirituality and Defence receiving almost no funds by comparison. The average income tax rate is 55%, and even higher for the wealthy. A healthy private sector is dominated by the Book Publishing industry.

'A is for Annulment' is a popular children's song, scientists regularly clone human beings for research purposes, radio shows frequently feature people denouncing religion, and prime real estate is devoted to wind farms and solar energy generators. Crime is totally unknown. Gogan's national animal is the Goglodyte, which is also the nation's favorite main course, and its currency is the Gog.

Gogan is ranked 337th in The North Pacific and 11,328th in the world for Nicest Citizens, with 26 Smiles Per Hour (net).

==== Issues ====
21 hours ago: Following new legislation in Gogan, prime real estate is devoted to wind farms and solar energy generators.
The overview has been updated following the last decisions made.

Cancer Sufferer Demands Euthanasia Bill (issue 324)
Dorothy Terwilliger lies immobilized in a hospital bed, unable to move. She has end-stage cancer, and wishes to end her struggle against death. However, laws prevent her doctors from obeying her wishes.

1. Dorothy and her family are campaigning for a "Dying with Dignity" bill, to change this situation. She implores the government to legalize euthanasia.

2. "I understand this is a very difficult time for these people," says freelance medical writer Ruby Patel. "But the solution is not to let our medical system slide down the slippery slope of killing people in pain. We must cure, not kill. This is not the right time for euthanasia."

3. "I agree, but go further: there is never a right time for euthanasia," says Bishop Alexei Spirit. "The lives we lead are given to us by the grace of God, and he decides when they end. It is not for us to question God's divine purpose, no matter how odd or screwed-up it may seem."

==== Public announcement ====
324: 1 - I assume the bill would legalize euthanasia in very specific/limited circumstances such as Dorothy's. Curing is still the priority, but we recognizes those cases in which all else has failed and nothing else can be done.
324:2
Considering the euthanasia programs were created for the final solution I think the potential abuses of such a system are fairly obvious. A system designed to legally kill people isn't ever a good idea. If people really feel the need to commit suicide they can do it themselves.
342:1 -- I see nothing wrong with the state assisting when people can't do it themselves. It's not nice to keep people suffering against their will.
324:1

If our medical science isn't yet in an advanced state in which we can assure every terminal condition is treatable, then euthanasia under conditions such as Dorothy's should be legalized and legislated accordingly. The priority is always to treat to the best of our abilities, but terminal citizens of our nation should at least have the right to choose not to keep surviving under such inhumane conditions.
Post edited April 14, 2014 by groze
324:1 - I don't want to be kept alive against my will either.
324:dismiss - I'm not touching that with a sixty foot pole.

groze: 324:1

If our medical science isn't yet in an advanced state in which we can assure every terminal condition is treatable, then euthanasia under conditions such as Dorothy's should be legalized and legislated accordingly. The priority is always to treat to the best of our abilities, but terminal citizens of our nation should at least have the right to choose not to keep surviving under such inhumane conditions.
This.