It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Time to make those cards sing.

CD PROJEKT RED just announced the start of Public Beta for <span class="bold">GWENT: The Witcher Card Game</span> for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
For those who still haven't felt its warm embrace, GWENT is an engrossing card game featuring creatures, characters, and lore from The Witcher series.

You can download <span class="bold">GWENT</span> from GOG.com and start playing immediately.
Moreover, since the game is powered by GOG Galaxy, those playing on PC will be able to do battle with their Xbox One and PS4 friends!

“Public Beta is an important step towards GWENT’s final release,” said Marcin Iwiński, co-founder of CD PROJEKT RED. “We’re opening the gates to everyone who wanted to play, but didn’t make it into the Closed Beta, and — at the same time — we’re introducing some pretty significant content and gameplay changes like adding animated versions of cards for every card in the game, new starter decks, or how weather cards work,” Iwiński adds. “I’m extra curious how all of the community feedback we’ve incorporated will resonate with both current players and those who’re just starting. Please keep the feedback coming, we’re listening!”

In addition to the cinematic trailer, CD PROJEKT RED has also released a gameplay video presenting GWENT’s features (you can watch them both below), and a set of faction videos covering the playstyles of each of the game’s five factions.

More information about GWENT and the Public Beta is available in the <span class="bold">FAQ</span> section of <span class="bold">playgwent.com</span>.

Watch the cinematic trailer.

Watch the gameplay trailer.
Post edited May 24, 2017 by maladr0Id
nightcraw1er.488: Can't remember how the companies are structured. CDPR are the main company that produces the games. GOG is the smaller sister company, and its them that have the stated policy on DRM free. Is that not the case. Not disagreeing with your post at, just wether we talk about GOG or CDPR as the company in question.
Carradice: Just being curious: is really GOG the smaller company in facturation? (even if it was the spin off) Is there any place where we can find such data from the two companies?
Actually, CD-Projekt used to be a video game publisher and distributor in Poland and other countries in Central Europe. Then they started developing games, the studio is CDPRed and around the same time distributing games via GOG. Now, the retail distribution is dropped and CD-Projekt is a "mother company" for CDPR and GOG. I guess you can check it up on Wikipedia for example.
Nix31: So I've played the single-player that's available so far (online, I did try to play it offline just to make sure and you can't even start the game), these are "challenges" (fairly easy ones) for you to earn some cards. It was alright, fun even. But I am aware that as I get more and more into this game, the bigger the chance I'll be inclined to buy stuff with real-world money - I mean, at least if they balanced it "right" for it to make them lots of money.

Saying a f2p game's microtransactions are optional is missing the point. The fact of the matter is that these games are designed to tempt you to spend money, they are designed in a way that makes it seem worthy to invest money into the game. In GWENT, every keg (booster pack) comes with a rare or legendary card guaranteed. So if you buy a few dozens of those you'll get good cards easy. Maybe not the ones you want, but good cards (you can always just buy more).

As fun as this game is, I play it aware that it's free-to-play trash. The incoming single-player campaign will most probably also rely on this microtransaction-enabled economy and that's a shame. I wouldn't hold my breath for a full-fledged offline single-player game, although that would be awesome. Playing a card game against AI is more engaging than I thought.

Anyway... It's a pity GOG/CDPR decided to stain their hands and franchise in f2p trash, but since they did, I really wish it was banished to be steam-only. It's a wild west over there already (and this game would probably be well-received).

As a side note, it gives me hope to have people still adamantly standing for the DRM-free principles. I feel like a blind consumer in comparison. I honestly have been learning and considering new things, like the whole thing about multiplayer being locked to a central server without lan options nowadays, never gave much of a thought about that; it's an option so frequently taken away/not considered nowadays that I just learned not to expect it, but didn't think about how devs just don't bother and give shitty excuses for not implementing DRM-free multiplayer options.
The game was designed to compete with Hearthstone, you can't do that if it doesn't have a robust online component and microtransactions. So then the next question is given the way it was designed, do you still make it available on your store (notice I didn't say 'sell', because there is no upfront cost to the game)? Despite what this thread is saying now, I can only imagine the outright shitstorm if Gwent wasn't even available to GoG customers when it was developed by their parent company. Also of note, just because GoG has certain DRM-free principles doesn't mean the exact same thing applies to CDPR, else they would went the EA/Origin route and only sold Witcher 3 on GoG.

The writing on the wall for all of this stuff happened the day Galaxy was announced. If you are going to design a multiplayer only game you need a good platform for said game. Enter GoG Galaxy.
Post edited May 26, 2017 by synfresh
synfresh: The game was designed to compete with Hearthstone, you can't do that if it doesn't have a robust online component and microtransactions. So then the next question is given the way it was designed, do you still make it available on your store (notice I didn't say 'sell', because there is no upfront cost to the game)? Despite what this thread is saying now, I can only imagine the outright shitstorm if Gwent wasn't even available to GoG customers when it was developed by their parent company. Also of note, just because GoG has certain DRM-free principles doesn't mean the exact same thing applies to CDPR, else they would went the EA/Origin route and only sold Witcher 3 on GoG.

The writing on the wall for all of this stuff happened the day Galaxy was announced. If you are going to design a multiplayer only game you need a good platform for said game. Enter GoG Galaxy.
You only need those if there's a desire to 'compete' financially and an obvious mind for profit from it.

While I'm sure this is fun on some level, I don't see the appeal in it over physical card games when money is involved.

Edit: Accidentally italicized instead of bolding.
Post edited May 26, 2017 by The_Gypsy
synfresh: The game was designed to compete with Hearthstone
And that is the problem. If you want to have certain principles you can not compete by copying those who violate those principles
synfresh: (...)
The game was designed to compete with Hearthstone, you can't do that if it doesn't have a robust online component and microtransactions. So then the next question is given the way it was designed, do you still make it available on your store (notice I didn't say 'sell', because there is no upfront cost to the game)? Despite what this thread is saying now, I can only imagine the outright shitstorm if Gwent wasn't even available to GoG customers when it was developed by their parent company.
Shitstorm you say? Sure, you are right in the middle of it. It is caused by releasing, rather then refraining from releasing it, though technically the game is distributed from CDPR's site with a big fat link from this site.
Please note that this is not meant as an insult to you, but rather as a description of the intense dislike for these practices of GOG with both Gremlins inc. and now Gwent..
Many of us consider the requirement to use a non-payer controlled server in order to play the game as a form of DRM.
In fact I have entered a Community feature request to deny such games access to the GOG store, because they are considered to be in conflict with the prime principle that GOG claims to adhere to.
I have linked to this request earlier, in the thread about Gremlins Inc. so I won't repeat myself here.
Mind you that this is their Unique Selling Point. Diluting that is a risky move indeed. Just saying that they will always be DRM free is not enough anymore. We need a proper definition of what GOG considers to be DRM.
Post edited May 26, 2017 by jorlin
low rated
Breja: I suspect you're a poorly written Google AI experiment based on behavioral patterns of marmosets.

Makes just about as much sense.
I suspect your nonsensical hubris is a byproduct of an inferiority complex.

Breja: I suspect you're a poorly written Google AI experiment based on behavioral patterns of marmosets.

szmirowatybarszcz: I suspect your nonsensical hubris is a byproduct of an inferiority complex.

You obviously did not get the reference, Can't say I'm surprised about that.
Anyway, have fun until your forum account gets banned for using more than one account.
Post edited May 26, 2017 by jorlin
low rated

WE DON’T TOLERATE:
[...]
Creating multiple accounts.
How am I hiding? My posts are out in the open. My account is still active, guess I'm lucky or that rule is not very relevant. I find it amusing that you're willing to relentless denounce DRM on GoG, yet you have all those DRM-free games from GoG ... enjoy(?).
jorlin: You obviously did not get the reference, Can't say I'm surprised about that.
Anyway, have fun until your forum account gets banned for using more than one account.
Nah, I think I'll stay for bit.
Post edited May 26, 2017 by szmirowatybarszcz
high rated

WE DON’T TOLERATE:
[...]
Creating multiple accounts.
szmirowatybarszcz: How am I hiding? My posts are out in the open. My account is still active, guess I'm lucky or that rule is not very relevant. I find it amusing that you're willing to relentless denounce DRM on GoG, yet you have all those DRM-free games from GoG ... enjoy(?).
We have all those DRM-free games here and we'd like to keep it this way. This is what this discussion is all about.

jorlin: You obviously did not get the reference, Can't say I'm surprised about that.
szmirowatybarszcz: Nah, I think I'll stay for bit.
Not if someone should report you. Don't say that I'll do this but somebody could so maybe you should not feel too good with your second account. Also it's hard to take your arguments serious if you don't even use your primary account. If you did so one could also see how long you actually are here. As I've said before: people who know GOG a few years do understand the problem at hand much better than new ones.
Post edited May 26, 2017 by MarkoH01
So, gog has its very own p2w scheme now, too. What is next?
if you are tired of Gwent on the frontpage here's the solution for firefox/chrome/opera:
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/tutorial_how_to_get_block_gwent_on_the_main_page_for_firefox
Post edited May 26, 2017 by LiefLayer
szmirowatybarszcz: How am I hiding? My posts are out in the open. My account is still active, guess I'm lucky or that rule is not very relevant. I find it amusing that you're willing to relentless denounce DRM on GoG, yet you have all those DRM-free games from GoG ... enjoy(?).
MarkoH01: We have all those DRM-free games here and we'd like to keep it this way. This is what this discussion is all about.

szmirowatybarszcz: Nah, I think I'll stay for bit.
MarkoH01: Not if someone should report you. Don't say that I'll do this but somebody could so maybe you should not feel too good with your second account. Also it's hard to take your arguments serious if you don't even use your primary account. If you did so one could also see how long you actually are here. As I've said before: people who know GOG a few years do understand the problem at hand much better than new ones.
Other account? Who is he?
MarkoH01: We have all those DRM-free games here and we'd like to keep it this way. This is what this discussion is all about.

Not if someone should report you. Don't say that I'll do this but somebody could so maybe you should not feel too good with your second account. Also it's hard to take your arguments serious if you don't even use your primary account. If you did so one could also see how long you actually are here. As I've said before: people who know GOG a few years do understand the problem at hand much better than new ones.
tinyE: Other account? Who is he?
He/she won't say, just admitted that it's a secondary account.
tinyE: Other account? Who is he?
Klumpen0815: He/she won't say, just admitted that it's a secondary account.
Well then I guess I tell him goodbye and it's been nice knowing you. :P
synfresh: The game was designed to compete with Hearthstone
LiefLayer: And that is the problem. If you want to have certain principles you can not compete by copying those who violate those principles
I'll ask again, where is it stated that CDPR has very strict principles where it concerns microtransactions and a online only component? By your standards CDPR could never develop something like a MMORPG.