It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sooo... why to set price for any zone above base price if it will be trimmed down by FPP anyway???
r-ichi-e: The example of Witcher 3 is supporting this theory - the regional prices there are much more reasonable because actually GoG could set them as he wanted (because they are together with game devs part of the same company).
So how do you explain The Witcher Adventure Game. It was developed by the same company, but this time people from Poland have to pay nearly the base price (might be 10-15 cents less), while people from Australia and Canada get a discount.

Regional pricing is completely inconsistent and arbitrary in my eyes.
r-ichi-e: Sooo... why to set price for any zone above base price if it will be trimmed down by FPP anyway???
Because otherwise the publishers wouldn't bring their games here?

(Although this "excuse" only works for new games, and we have recently seen a whole bunch of oldies with scandalous above-the-base prices)
muntdefems: Pricing changed for POSTAL: Classic and Uncut

>>> Base price changed from $5.99 to $1.99
>>> Price history for this game: On January 26, 2017, price changed from $5.99 to $1.99
GOG actually priced an old game for less than $5.99?! If the Arx Fatalis discount wasn't doom and gloom, then that most certainly is!
Post edited February 02, 2017 by Grargar
muntdefems: Because otherwise the publishers wouldn't bring their games here?
They wouldn't bring their games because of these few cents of difference?
(Publisher)- "We won't allow you to publish our game unless you set the price 50cents higher for these pesky Poles. Ah, and for this bloody Norwegians too"
(GoG)- "But... even if we do it, then we'll return them the difference because of FPP"
(Publisher covering ears) "I can't hear you, la la la-"

PaterAlf: So how do you explain The Witcher Adventure Game. It was developed by the same company, but this time people from Poland have to pay nearly the base price (might be 10-15 cents less), while people from Australia and Canada get a discount.
Well, not quite the same. It's been developed by Can Explode, CD Projekt remained publisher only.
Regardless what you're saying it's true. They did set the price lower for PL, albeit slightly. Probably to make it "round" 39,99 PLN. Maybe they did the same to make it "round" in CAD? Of course they could still make it "round" and cheaper for us. I don't know, maybe they believe we're boardgame lovers and Canadians don't? Who knows.

PaterAlf: Regional pricing is completely inconsistent and arbitrary in my eyes.
...exactly the same as temporary price discounts. No objections here.
Still, it doesn't mean it has no sense.
Post edited February 02, 2017 by r-ichi-e
r-ichi-e: They wouldn't bring their games because of these few cents of difference?
Never underestimate the power of greed. :\

r-ichi-e: (Publisher)- "We won't allow you to publish our game unless you set the price 50cents higher for these pesky Poles. Ah, and for this bloody Norwegians too"
(GoG)- "But... even if we do it, then we'll return them the difference because of FPP"
(Publisher covering ears) "I can't hear you, la la la-"
The FPP comes out of GOG's own pockets. The devs/pubs receive the full price for each sale, so they couldn't care less about the FPP.
muntdefems: Never underestimate the power of greed. :\
...and human stupidity, I know.
Still, this case would excell in both of them. As the range of possible profit from that is very limited. Once - only few cents per game, second - only for one/few national zones. And one of them is PL, where the base price is usually harsh enough for our pockets.

muntdefems: The FPP comes out of GOG's own pockets.
That's... interesting. Are you sure about this?
If this is true, then it's only confirming my theory that GOG doesn't have much to say with game pricing and regions of it (unless blahblah Witcher etc).

But I still think that the case of small, over the base prices for very limited zones is result of some kind of strange (outdated? relic?) mechanism related with currency exchange rate changes.

muntdefems: The devs/pubs receive the full price for each sale, so they couldn't care less about the FPP.
Come to think about it I wonder who's deciding about price discount sales and what is going on with the income from games being sold then.
muntdefems: The FPP comes out of GOG's own pockets.
r-ichi-e: That's... interesting. Are you sure about this?
Quite sure. :)

r-ichi-e: If this is true, then it's only confirming my theory that GOG doesn't have much to say with game pricing and regions of it (unless blahblah Witcher etc).
That's what one would naturally conclude, yes. Until some dev revealed that GOG explicitly asked him to provide regional prices for his game that was about to be released here... :\

r-ichi-e: But I still think that the case of small, over the base prices for very limited zones is result of some kind of strange (outdated? relic?) mechanism related with currency exchange rate changes.
I used to think exactly like you, but after some time following this thread (even before I took over mrkgnao's job) and a couple of failed attempts at making sense of it, I finally embraced the sad truth: regional pricing makes no fucking sense.
This is ridiculous, but for some reason I can't post a reply here - the window hangs forever.
Maybe it's highest time to finish this conversation... :)

muntdefems: That's what one would naturally conclude, yes. Until some dev revealed that GOG explicitly asked him to provide regional prices for his game that was about to be released here... :\
But this only confirms two things: one - GOG abandoned flat pricing idea (not a news to anyone I guess) and second: GOG cannot set regional prices as he want, devs are doing it. QED

muntdefems: I finally embraced the sad truth: regional pricing makes no fucking sense.
I partially agree.
Making regional prices bigger than base one and refunding the difference makes no sense whatsoever.
But making prices cheaper for some regions actually have some sense.
True, it's inconsistent and arbitrary and troublesome, but it's similar thing to discount sales - the reason is to catch customers who wouldn't ever buy game for full price. And it's better for devs to get from them part of price than nothing.
high rated
If it seems ridiculous to charge a few cents above base price, it isn't any less ridiculous to discount a few cents below base price:

---------------------------

The newly added game Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist is regionally priced:

>>> It is $5.94 instead of $5.99 in CH, regCZ, regDE, regIT, MC, MT, NL, SK
>>> It is $5.89 instead of $5.99 in GB
>>> It is $3.49 instead of $5.99 in regAR, BR, CL, CO, MX, PE, UY
>>> It is $2.19 instead of $5.99 in RU, UA, regUZ
muntdefems: If it seems ridiculous to charge a few cents above base price, it isn't any less ridiculous to discount a few cents below base price:

The newly added game Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist is regionally priced:

>>> It is $5.94 instead of $5.99 in CH, regCZ, regDE, regIT, MC, MT, NL, SK
>>> It is $5.89 instead of $5.99 in GB
>>> It is $3.49 instead of $5.99 in regAR, BR, CL, CO, MX, PE, UY
>>> It is $2.19 instead of $5.99 in RU, UA, regUZ
I noticed this too, and was scratching my head at first, but then I remembered that this is not the first game this happens (don't have the relevant info handy, and too tired to go look for it; sorry).
muntdefems: If it seems ridiculous to charge a few cents above base price, it isn't any less ridiculous to discount a few cents below base price
Most likely done to round the price in a given currency to "*.99".
Great about Freddy Pharkas being regionally priced.

NOW HOW ABOUT YOU DO THE SAME TO THE OTHER SIERRA GAMES, ACTIVISION?
Post edited February 03, 2017 by Foxhack
Diluvion has been released with the prices set on 10 January.
high rated
Australians and New Zealanders are being tormented by regional pricing:

The newly added game Long Journey Home, The [Upcoming] is flat-priced: $29.99. It won't last long like this, though.

The newly added game Torment: Tides of Numenera - Immortal Edition [Premium] [Upcoming] is regionally priced:

>>> It is $105.59 instead of $89.99 in AU, NZ
>>> It is $97.09 instead of $89.99 in DK
>>> It is $96.99 instead of $89.99 in NO, PL, SE
>>> It is $96.89 instead of $89.99 in CH, regCZ, regDE, regIT, MC, MT, NL, SK
>>> It is $87.59 instead of $89.99 in GB
>>> It is $58.59 instead of $89.99 in regAR, BR, CL, CO, MX, PE, UY
>>> It is $49.99 instead of $89.99 in UA, regUZ
>>> It is $33.79 instead of $89.99 in RU

The newly added game Torment: Tides of Numenera - Legacy Edition [Premium] [Upcoming] is regionally priced:

>>> It is $76.89 instead of $64.99 in AU, NZ
>>> It is $70.09 instead of $64.99 in CH, DK, NO, PL, SE
>>> It is $69.99 instead of $64.99 in regCZ, regDE, regIT, MC, MT, NL, SK
>>> It is $62.59 instead of $64.99 in GB
>>> It is $42.49 instead of $64.99 in regAR, BR, CL, CO, MX, PE, UY
>>> It is $36.99 instead of $64.99 in UA, regUZ
>>> It is $24.39 instead of $64.99 in RU

The newly added game Torment: Tides of Numenera [Upcoming] is regionally priced:

>>> It is $52.79 instead of $44.99 in AU, NZ
>>> It is $48.59 instead of $44.99 in SE
>>> It is $48.49 instead of $44.99 in DK, NO, PL
>>> It is $48.39 instead of $44.99 in CH, regCZ, regDE, regIT, MC, MT, NL, SK
>>> It is $43.79 instead of $44.99 in GB
>>> It is $29.29 instead of $44.99 in regAR, BR, CL, CO, MX, PE, UY
>>> It is $24.99 instead of $44.99 in UA, regUZ
>>> It is $16.79 instead of $44.99 in RU