It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Timboli: By the way, GOGPlus Download Checker is an entirely different program, it is my GOGRepo GUI that is the program using gogrepo.py.
Doh! I knew that, I guess you can put my temporary confusion down to a senior moment :D Sorry!
Pajama: ....... I guess you can put my temporary confusion down to a senior moment :D Sorry!
Ha ha ha ha no apology needed .... many of us have one of those ... probably all of us eventually ... if we should live long enough to be so lucky.
just a bump to keep this visible
I've implemented the floating Progress Bar GUI in the latest release, but not enabled it by default .... see the checkbox on the SETUP window, thread section. It's only available if you are using one download thread. Verifying with it hasn't been implemented yet.

I've also tried to improve the STOP process, and also added an additional query to close any single running 'py.exe' and 'Python.exe' processes.

See this post for other detail and a link to the latest download.

IMPORTANT ADVICE - Minimal testing only so far.
Still testing and refining, and a few bugs have come to light and hopefully all been fixed.
This is to both the main program and the Floating Progress window.

Bugs include elements like options being enabled when they shouldn't be, STOP button issues, floating progress closure when no files found to download, Queue window progress bar not always showing progress, Minimize on start now working for floating progress window, etc.

Improvements include the following.
Floating Progress window now remembers its last position (unless closed by the Queue window STOP button).
If last download did not complete, then on next program (or restart), a query to restore to download list is presented.
When only Updating a single title, the options relevant for Update ALL are now deselected and disabled (i.e. New Games Only, etc).

See this post for other detail and a link to the latest download.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

While both the programs in this thread (topic) seek to address issues caused by the absence of the old GOG Downloader, please still vote to give GOG a clear message about your disappointment etc.

LET GOG KNOW HOW YOU FEEL BY VOTING
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/keep_the_gog_downloader_and_keep_it_up_to_date

We are up to 1666 votes now. :)
I've now started investigating Kalanyr's version of 'gogrepo.py' and adapting GOGRepo GUI to support it.

One of the first changes, is the renaming of the MORE button to INFO. This button opens up your browser to show a web page version of the detail for a selected game contained within the 'gogrepo.py' created manifest.

I am now using another button called MORE, for when Kalanyr's version of 'gogrepo.py' is in use, to show more download options. This means I will be adding another window called 'Download Options' to support that. The MORE button, when available, replaces the Language field in the main window 'Download Options' section. The Language field is then located on the 'Download Options' window.

This should all happen seamlessly at program start.

Thus GOGRepo GUI is able to detect different versions of the 'gogrepo.py' script, and adjust itself accordingly, offering more or less options depending on what is in use (found).

Some of the other windows involved will also receive changes to support Kalanyr's version of 'gogrepo.py'.

I've had to update my version of Python to support Kalanyr's version of 'gogrepo.py', and I also needed to install some other features (or libraries) in Python (requests, OpenSSL). The button on the SETUP window of my GUI, that currently installs the other libraries (html5lib, html2text), will also install them.

I've updated to Python 3.7.0 for Windows, which you can read about here, and involves a trick or two.

I suspect the adapting of my GUI will take a while, but it shouldn't take too long.
Post edited July 27, 2020 by Timboli
Well I was wrong about which element the new MORE button needed to replace.
As further investigation of Kalanyr's version of 'gogrepo.py' revealed that the '-skipgames' parameter has been deprecated in favor of the new '-skipgalaxy -skipstandalone -skipshared' parameters.

As you can see in the following screenshot, I have restored the Language field and replaced the 'Game Files' checkbox instead, with the new MORE button. The MORE button opens the 'Download Options' window.

Main Window + Download Options Window

Work is progressing nicely but slowly, as I get the time, and get the time to make sure I have gotten my head around what is required. Those familiar with this forked version of 'gogrepo.py', will no doubt notice I haven't included every parameter available, just the ones most suited to a GUI, and you don't really need an include and exclude OS option, as one 'Skip' one does the job well enough ... a resulting one click GUI benefit.

P.S. I've also made a change for Verify and some other console uses, where they now complete at a Pause, which should make it more obvious the process has finished. You can still just close the DOS like console window at that point, or press any key (i.e. Enter or Space etc) to have it close itself. This is really only for those processes where it is maybe important to see the result before continuing.
Post edited July 31, 2020 by Timboli
I've now modified the Update window to support Kalanyr's 'gogrepo.py' forked version, as can be seen in the following screenshot.

Main Window + Update Window

The new options are grayed out because the original 'gogrepo.py' is active ... note the missing MORE button on the Main program window. Also note that the Resume option is also grayed out now, whereas it had been mistakenly available before.

The currently grayed out and empty 'Installers' field (a combo dropdown) shows three options when active - Galaxy, Standalone or Both.

Once again, I have ignored some of the extra parameters available in the forked version, mostly because they don't make sense in the context of a clickable GUI, as opposed to pure command-line, where you might want to simplify what you type. So I can't fathom an argument for skip OS or Language, when you should just select what you want on the main program window etc before doing an Update. My personal belief, is that you select all you are ever likely to need before doing an Update, to have them all existing in the Manifest, and then just get more selective when doing the Downloading.

I will be working on the Verify options next, and then tie everything together with each final command.
I may also work on the verify code for the Floating Progress window ... or leave that to a later update. In relation to Verify, I am keen to see what is available or present in the new Log file option.

For those who might be interested :)
Last night I finally reached and passed 1,000 games from GOG. In fact I am up to 1,010. In actuality, I bought four Heroes Of Might & Magic games (completing my HOMM collection), using a special email discount, and then grabbed the latest free Prologue. One of those games has 8 chapters and each is listed as a separate game, and another has two parts, each listed separately. So I went from 997 to 1,010 .... woohoo. So now I am in the 1,000+ GOG Games Club. LOL

Another interesting fact (to me at least), is that in my first 12 months with GOG, I got 500 games, and it took me 2 years and 3 months to get the next 500. And I have over 6 pages of games on my Wishlist still .... Heaven help me. ha ha ha

P.S. I used my GUI with the original 'gogrepo.py' to Update, Download and Verify all those new games. I was going to wait until my GUI was ready for the forked version, but my mantra is to download games as soon as I buy them ... just in case.
Post edited July 31, 2020 by Timboli
I decided to work on completing the remaining Download code today for Kalanyr's 'gogrepo.py' forked version, including adapting the Floating Progress window code. Hopefully that is all done now. Verify should be next.

Just a reminder, that I am developing my GUI to use either version of gogrepo.py, based on what is present with that file name ... by checking the internal author name.
I've now done the changes to the Verify window and code, as seen in the following screenshot.

Main Window + Verify Window

The update code is also done, with one minor change to the Resume option, where it is a checkbox with three states. The third state is a block, so not a tick or de-selected, and indicates '-onlyresume'. While I am unsure exactly what that option means, I belatedly decided to include it.

This is what occurs with that checkbox, and its cycle order.

Tick = Resume
Block = Only Resume
Clear = No Resume

All of this means I have kind of finished the major elements and are now ready to test with Kalanyr's 'gogrepo.py' forked version. I will still need to complete some of the Verifying code, once I know what is returned with the new log file option ... which will hopefully mean I can avoid implementing Verify data extraction using the Floating Progress.

That said, I have once again ignored some options. This is because I am not sure they are needed or I just don't have enough information about them. That last, is something I need to chase up with Kalanyr etc, but for now the options I have included should cover the basics.

I won't upload the EXE version yet, until I have done a few tests that prove okay.

P.S. While I have tried to make things obvious and not so complex for the end user, it hasn't been easy, and under the hood we have a complex beast.

P.S.S. I am also contemplating some kind of Checksum assistant for my GUI. Checksums exist in the manifest for all the game files, so we could extract them to use with the result of another downloader. This would be particularly relevant when just grabbing a patch file, which like me you may wish to do independently, using a downloader like 'Free Download Manager 5'. This would be a quicker check than using my GOGPlus Download Checker program. This would probably use the free 'fsum.exe' program. PLEASE NOTE - This won't be required if you are just downloading and verifying with 'gogrepo.py'.
Post edited August 03, 2020 by Timboli
Getting back to my GOGPlus Download Checker program for a moment, while referring to the P.S.S. portion of my previous post here.

As most of us know, both the old GOG Downloader and Galaxy verify downloaded files, using a checksum for the game files (installers & related). The 'gogrepo.py' script uses those same checksums.

What might not be understood by most users, is that my GOGPlus Download Checker program uses a different set of checksums, that are provided internally by those downloaded files. This is the reason why it takes so much longer, as it is doing a lot more checking ... perhaps thousands of individual files in some cases, and often hundreds in many cases.

The way I understand it, is that the checksums used by the old GOG Downloader, are for the package (EXE or BIN file) only that was downloaded, verifying that downloaded okay all intact.

The internal checksums, are for the internal files inside the EXE or BIN files, which is only checked when installing the game, by the installer.

So in short you have two scenarios.
(1) Check the package downloaded has not been corrupted during downloading.
(2) Check none of the internal files are corrupt, which could have occurred prior to downloading.

Just checking the package (first scenario), is a much quicker process ... and covers downloading errors.
But if you are a serious archiver, then the second scenario gives you better peace of mind.
Of course, if you download and install immediately, then you don't need to use my GOGPlus Download Checker program, as you would be verifying twice.
Post edited August 03, 2020 by Timboli
Timboli: [snip]
The way I understand it, is that the checksums used by the old GOG Downloader, are for the package (EXE or BIN file) only that was downloaded, verifying that downloaded okay all intact.

The internal checksums, are for the internal files inside the EXE or BIN files, which is only checked when installing the game, by the installer.

So in short you have two scenarios.
(1) Check the package downloaded has not been corrupted during downloading.
(2) Check none of the internal files are corrupt, which could have occurred prior to downloading.

Just checking the package (first scenario), is a much quicker process ... and covers downloading errors.
But if you are a serious archiver, then the second scenario gives you better peace of mind.
Of course, if you download and install immediately, then you don't need to use my GOGPlus Download Checker program, as you would be verifying twice.
When it comes to internal checksums, with offline installers I have noticed with quite a few games that there is not always an integrity files checking option prior to install. I was under the impression there was supposed to be one as a matter of course, but either I am mistaken or it's no longer the case.

Which means that, especially for archiving and if not planning to play the game for a while, both scenarios may well have to be applied, more so for big games.
Flyingfluffypiglet: ........ I was under the impression there was supposed to be one as a matter of course, but either I am mistaken or it's no longer the case.

Which means that, especially for archiving and if not planning to play the game for a while, both scenarios may well have to be applied, more so for big games.
To be honest, I am just piecing things together from what I do know, and counting on others to point out where I might not be entirely correct, as there are other things surely, that I don't know. GOG coders of course, totally know it all.

I suspect as you say, that big games that have a lot of parts and so have greater potential for errors etc, do have installer integrity or verify type checking. Smaller games probably less so, minimal or none. Or more strictly speaking, number of files more than actual overall size, is the basis ... to a point.

But it may also be down to the provider, as I am sure GOG plays a big part in some of the games they provide, and a lesser part in others ... especially with modern releases, where they may play barely any part at all, perhaps none if not a Galaxy installer.
oh wow, this ivery impressive. thank you for your effort Timboli!
Timboli: To be honest, I am just piecing things together from what I do know, and counting on others to point out where I might not be entirely correct, as there are other things surely, that I don't know. GOG coders of course, totally know it all.

I suspect as you say, that big games that have a lot of parts and so have greater potential for errors etc, do have installer integrity or verify type checking. Smaller games probably less so, minimal or none. Or more strictly speaking, number of files more than actual overall size, is the basis ... to a point.
You're most likely more savvy than I on many counts, but I have to say that the lack of integrity check on some games (I remember some available on not that big at all games) has been bothering me. As the offline installers are Gog packed, I would really like it if a Blue could chip in and enlighten us as to how they go about including, or not, the option of integrity check. Perhaps indeed as you suspect it's only games of a certain size onward that are deemed worthy of that option, or it could be an oversight, or who knows, only Gog does.

TBH, it would kind of bother me if smaller games' integrity was skipped, because you can never guaranty you won't have corruption, or a bad pack, both can and do happen. Okay it was not a game but as an example, a few months ago, there were issues with Witcher's goodies, which had to be repacked, and they were not small files. Fine if you're on a good plan, bad if you're capped.

But what I do know for sure is that it is a great idea for you to have thought of including those 2 checking scenarios.

PS And so I sure second Sepix in above post.
Post edited August 03, 2020 by Flyingfluffypiglet