It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

50 games for the free OS available right NOW!

A while ago, [url=http://www.gog.com/news/gogcom_soon_on_more_platforms]we've announced our plans to add Linux support as one of the features of our digital platform, with 100 games on the launch day sometime this fall. We've put much time and effort into this project and now we've found ourselves with over 50 titles, classic and new, prepared for distribution, site infrastructure ready, support team trained and standing by, and absolutely no reason to wait until October or November. We're still aiming to have at least 100 Linux games in the coming months, but we've decided not to delay the launch just for the sake of having a nice-looking number to show off to the press. It's not about them, after all, it's about you. So, one of the most popular site feature requests on our community wishlist is granted today: Linux support has officially arrived on GOG.com!

The first 50+ titles we've have in store for you come from all the corners of our DRM-Free catalog. Note that we've got many classic titles coming officially to Linux for the very first time, thanks to the custom builds prepared by our dedicated team of penguin tamers. That's over twenty fan-favorite GOG.com classics, like &[url=http://www.gog.com/game/flatout_2]Flatout 2, , <a href="http://www.gog.com/game/darklands">Darklands, or Realms of the Haunting we've personally ushered one by one into the welcoming embrace of Linux gamers. That's already quite a nice chunk of our back-catalog, and you can expect more from our dedicated Linux team soon!

Now, for the recent titles. We've got some indie games with native Linux versions that finally find their well-deserved spot in our store. Among them, debuting on Linux, - a well received original comedic Sci-Fi puzzler. On top of that, be on the lookout for two new additions to the GOG.com catalog: [url=http://www.gog.com/game/gods_will_be_watching]Gods Will Be Watching (coming in a couple of hours) and Unrest:Special Edition (Linux build coming right up!), both of them very fresh and intriguing. This is the very first time we can provide you with all the PC versions of a premiere game, and we will continue to do so in the future. If there's a Linux version of a title we're releasing, our aim is to deliver it to you Day-1. But enough about us, let's talk about the games. Here's what you can be playing on Linux today:

Anomaly Warzone Earth
Ascendant
Bionic Dues
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold - first time on Linux!
Blake Stone: Planet Strike - first time on Linux!
Bloodnet - first time on Linux!
Braveland
CLARC - first time on Linux!
Darklands - first time on Linux!
Darwinia
Defcon
Don't Starve + DLC
Dragonsphere - first time on Linux!
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition
FlatOut - first time on Linux!
Flatout 2 - first time on Linux!
Fragile Allegiance - first time on Linux!
Gemini Rue
Gods Will Be Watching
Hammerwatch
Hocus Pocus - first time on Linux!
Kentucky Route Zero
The Last Federation
Legend of Grimrock
Litil Divil - first time on Linux!
Long Live the Queen
MouseCraft
Multiwinia
Normality - first time on Linux!
Pinball Gold Pack - first time on Linux!
Pinball World - first time on Linux!
Pirates! Gold Plus - first time on Linux!
Realms of the Haunting - first time on Linux!
Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender - first time on Linux!
Rise of the Triad: Dark War - first time on Linux!
Shattered Haven
The Shivah HD
Sid Meier's Colonization - first time on Linux!
Sid Meier's Covert Action - first time on Linux!
Sir, You Are Being Hunted
Slipstream 5000 - first time on Linux!
Space Pirates and Zombies
Spacechem
Stargunner - first time on Linux!
SteamWorld Dig
Super Hexagon
Surgeon Simulator 2013
Sword of the Samurai - first time on Linux!
Teslagrad
Unrest:Special Edition (Linux build on the way!)
Uplink
VVVVVV

As if this wasn't exciting enough, we've put more than half of these titles on a special promo! Head out to the promo page and find out which of them you can get up to 75% off until Tuesday, 9:59AM GMT. Of course, all of the games from the list above that you already own will be updated with Linux versions with no additional cost for you, just as you might have expected from GOG.com.

"OK, but how will Linux support actually work on GOG.com" - you might ask. For both native Linux versions, as well as special builds prepared by our team, GOG.com will provide distro-independent tar.gz archives and support convenient DEB installers for the two most popular Linux distributions: Ubuntu and Mint, in their current and future LTS editions. Helpful and responsive customer support has always been an important part of the GOG.com gaming experience. We wouldn't have it any other way when it comes to Linux, and starting today our helpdesk offers support for our official Linux releases on Ubuntu and Mint systems.

Diversity and freedom of choice have always been an important part of the GOG.com way. We're very glad that we could improve our service with the addition of the free (and DRM-Free) alternative to the commercial operating systems. Talking with gamers is just as important, so we're counting on your feedback! If you've got any questions, suggestions, or run into any trouble, just tell us in the forum thread below this post. Just please be gentle, this is [url=http://youtu.be/qBxbPts5tOk" target="_blank]our very first time[/url] with Linux. Happy launch day, everyone!
ghibley: /kudos for supporting linux, BUT it would be nice to have some indication about what am I downloading.
I run gog games on wine and wanted to try out the "new" version of FlatOut 2 for linux:
(...)
What I'm getting at is that it would be good to indicate (with an icon, label, tooltip, whatever)
if the download is a native build, installer (native or GOG one checking for dependencies required for the game to run), or a pre-installed game with bundled wine etc. :-?

For now I'm back to windows version of FlatOut 2 which works great under my system wine:-s
Grargar: It's not the most optimal solution, but you can check if a Linux game is running on wine by checking the game's requirements which are posted above a game's reviews. In the case of FlatOut 2:

Minimum system requirements (Linux): Ubuntu 14.04, Linux Mint 17, Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent Memory: 2 GB RAM Graphics: GeForce 8800GT, Radeon HD 5770 or better (Intel cards are not supported), Requires the following packages to be installed: libc6:i386, libasound2:i386, libasound2-data:i386, libasound2-plugins:i386 and dependencies, Notice: game comes with a 32-bit binary only, this is a Wine game.
heh, thanksx-) But as I wrote I'm already running my gog games under wine, I just wanted to try the linux version provided by GOG and ended up with a bloated package which included wine linked against libraries non-existent on my system so the whole thing didn't work... I'd just like to see more information given about what to expect before downloading X GiBs file
SeduceMePlz: GOG flat out told us that the lack of the ability to set regional prices is a major barrier to getting more games here. Just because a vocal minority (or at least some unknown portion... since no actual poll was taken) refused to believe it or accept it doesn't mean it isn't true. Other than that... not sure. Your best bet is probably asking the developers or publishers why those games aren't here.
Future_Suture: I totally forgot about that. So developers have the gall to defy the industry standard that is sadly to put DRM in games, but still let themselves be held back by regional pricing? So instead of making money, they would rather make no money at all? Sounds like a bad joke to me. Please do not think I am attacking you, I am rather displaying my discontent with the kind of thinking these developers portray. I am finding it really difficult to understand, so could you explain to me why regional pricing is more important than making money off of the sizeable community that GOG boasts?
Even assuming there's not a more reasonable cause like "existing contracts with other suppliers", I can think of two reasons developers might not support GOG:

1. "We don't have time to do any more work" (especially if they're used to other vendors which expect them to shoulder the support and packaging burden)

2. "Stubborn people are a tiny piece of the market. If we put it on a DRM-free site with regional pricing like Humble, people will give up and buy it as 'close enough' when it comes on sale."
JudasIscariot: Right but we still would need permission should we pursue the Linux version of NWN :)
What about its spiritual predecessors, the Infinity Engine games?
Their win32 GOG.com versions all work on Linux with Wine, even with 3D acceleration enabled and everything.

The only Linux-specific problem I encountered with them, was that one of them (I think Icewind Dale) froze when trying to save the game, but there is a simple work-around for that.

Or does the fact that Beamdog is releasing Enhanced editions for some of those games, make it more difficult for GOG.com to get Linux licences for them?
Grargar: It's not the most optimal solution, but you can check if a Linux game is running on wine by checking the game's requirements which are posted above a game's reviews. In the case of FlatOut 2:

Minimum system requirements (Linux): Ubuntu 14.04, Linux Mint 17, Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent Memory: 2 GB RAM Graphics: GeForce 8800GT, Radeon HD 5770 or better (Intel cards are not supported), Requires the following packages to be installed: libc6:i386, libasound2:i386, libasound2-data:i386, libasound2-plugins:i386 and dependencies, Notice: game comes with a 32-bit binary only, this is a Wine game.
ghibley: heh, thanksx-) But as I wrote I'm already running my gog games under wine, I just wanted to try the linux version provided by GOG and ended up with a bloated package which included wine linked against libraries non-existent on my system so the whole thing didn't work... I'd just like to see more information given about what to expect before downloading X GiBs file
Normally, the installers ARE .deb files but, in the case of Flatout and Flatout 2, there's just the tarball.

As far as I can guess, technical limitations in the GOG system require the main package to be labelled as "installer". (Look at the URLs. The system thinks the tarballs are patches.)
JudasIscariot: Right but we still would need permission should we pursue the Linux version of NWN :)
archy2: What about its spiritual predecessors, the Infinity Engine games?
Their win32 GOG.com versions all work on Linux with Wine, even with 3D acceleration enabled and everything.

The only Linux-specific problem I encountered with them, was that one of them (I think Icewind Dale) froze when trying to save the game, but there is a simple work-around for that.

Or does the fact that Beamdog is releasing Enhanced editions for some of those games, make it more difficult for GOG.com to get Linux licences for them?
We still need permission to distribute Linux versions or games made to work on Linux either via Wine or GemRB.
ghibley: /kudos for supporting linux, BUT it would be nice to have some indication about what am I downloading.
I run gog games on wine and wanted to try out the "new" version of FlatOut 2 for linux:
The download link was labelled as "Linux installer" (tar.gz archive).
But after downloading it turned out to be a 3.5 GiB pre-installed FlatOut 2 directory with bundled wine ;__;
The included wine (I ran it with start.sh) crashed after complaining about missing 32bit libraries, like glibc...

What I'm getting at is that it would be good to indicate (with an icon, label, tooltip, whatever)
if the download is a native build, installer (native or GOG one checking for dependencies required for the game to run), or a pre-installed game with bundled wine etc. :-?

For now I'm back to windows version of FlatOut 2 which works great under my system wine:-s
Whoops. I meant to reply to you with my previous comment.
Tolya: That is interesting, on none of our testlab machines this has happened. Do you have a twin-monitor setup? We have experienced the problem with restoring screen resolutions, but it was on dual monitor setups (hence our recommendation on not using them).

My suggestion is to contact support directly. If you tell us what your setup is, we may be able to reproduce the bug and make appropriate fixes.
jamyskis: I don't have the laptop with me here, so that all I can say is that it is indeed a laptop with a AMD Mobility GPU chipset, twin-monitor setup with a cloned display sent to a TV.

Tolya: X needs to die :( All Im going to say. Screen tearing has always been horrible because of it. It may also be a bug of the Unity game engine. Can you tell us your setup and what drivers do you use?
jamyskis: Again, can't check the precise setup from here, but it's whatever driver the fglrx-updates package in Mint 17 is currently using.
Disconnet/turn off the second monitor. Leave only one display on (be it laptop or TV) and see if the issues persist.
yaster: You need to add filters to the Library (My Games). It's nightmare to navigate and search doesn't works with linux keyword...
Venom: We've added this option. You can now type "linux", "ubuntu", "mint", "mac" or "osx" in the search field on My Account and the list will be filtered accordingly.
That box hasn't worked for me since approximately forever (and before that, it'd used to straight up murder my browser, so not working was an improvement). Latest Mozilla (31.0 as of this writing).
Venom: We've added this option. You can now type "linux", "ubuntu", "mint", "mac" or "osx" in the search field on My Account and the list will be filtered accordingly.
Starmaker: That box hasn't worked for me since approximately forever (and before that, it'd used to straight up murder my browser, so not working was an improvement). Latest Mozilla (31.0 as of this writing).
Errm, why would that search box murder your browser? Serious question as I've never heard of a search box anywhere doing that :)

edit: just used the search box by writing "linux" in it with a no add-ons installed copy of Firefox 31 and it seemed to work ok. Could you try using that search box without any add-ons or extensions?
Post edited July 25, 2014 by JudasIscariot
Starmaker: That box hasn't worked for me since approximately forever (and before that, it'd used to straight up murder my browser, so not working was an improvement). Latest Mozilla (31.0 as of this writing).
Are you using shelf view or list view? The search field is bugged on list view.
Z just got updated again!
Just wanted to say that I have installed LoG on MInt 16 and as far as I can tell it works perfectly. Guess it's time for some dungeon crawling.
As everyone basically say : HOLY F*CK SH*T YEAYYYY ! \0/

I don't have my usual Debian installed on my personnal laptop due to some problems (but it's on the server :D ), but it still is a great news for us who support the free software while enjoying games. (Am I making sense, here ? It's hard to talk about that stuff in English, I swear)

Anyway, I'm very glad this day has come, and even if i'm still using my Windows on my laptop, I'm thrilled to know that a really big step was made today. Good job, GOG. =D
Matruchus: Z just got updated again!
Didn't get the notification, but I read the proper thread, though. The question is; what does that have to do with Linux? The game is Windows-only. :P
Matruchus: Z just got updated again!
Grargar: Didn't get the notification, but I read the proper thread, though. The question is; what does that have to do with Linux? The game is Windows-only. :P
It's the most active thread at the moment :) And I did not know that there is a special thread for it.
Post edited July 25, 2014 by Matruchus