It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

50 games for the free OS available right NOW!

A while ago, [url=http://www.gog.com/news/gogcom_soon_on_more_platforms]we've announced our plans to add Linux support as one of the features of our digital platform, with 100 games on the launch day sometime this fall. We've put much time and effort into this project and now we've found ourselves with over 50 titles, classic and new, prepared for distribution, site infrastructure ready, support team trained and standing by, and absolutely no reason to wait until October or November. We're still aiming to have at least 100 Linux games in the coming months, but we've decided not to delay the launch just for the sake of having a nice-looking number to show off to the press. It's not about them, after all, it's about you. So, one of the most popular site feature requests on our community wishlist is granted today: Linux support has officially arrived on GOG.com!

The first 50+ titles we've have in store for you come from all the corners of our DRM-Free catalog. Note that we've got many classic titles coming officially to Linux for the very first time, thanks to the custom builds prepared by our dedicated team of penguin tamers. That's over twenty fan-favorite GOG.com classics, like &[url=http://www.gog.com/game/flatout_2]Flatout 2, , <a href="http://www.gog.com/game/darklands">Darklands, or Realms of the Haunting we've personally ushered one by one into the welcoming embrace of Linux gamers. That's already quite a nice chunk of our back-catalog, and you can expect more from our dedicated Linux team soon!

Now, for the recent titles. We've got some indie games with native Linux versions that finally find their well-deserved spot in our store. Among them, debuting on Linux, - a well received original comedic Sci-Fi puzzler. On top of that, be on the lookout for two new additions to the GOG.com catalog: [url=http://www.gog.com/game/gods_will_be_watching]Gods Will Be Watching (coming in a couple of hours) and Unrest:Special Edition (Linux build coming right up!), both of them very fresh and intriguing. This is the very first time we can provide you with all the PC versions of a premiere game, and we will continue to do so in the future. If there's a Linux version of a title we're releasing, our aim is to deliver it to you Day-1. But enough about us, let's talk about the games. Here's what you can be playing on Linux today:

Anomaly Warzone Earth
Ascendant
Bionic Dues
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold - first time on Linux!
Blake Stone: Planet Strike - first time on Linux!
Bloodnet - first time on Linux!
Braveland
CLARC - first time on Linux!
Darklands - first time on Linux!
Darwinia
Defcon
Don't Starve + DLC
Dragonsphere - first time on Linux!
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition
FlatOut - first time on Linux!
Flatout 2 - first time on Linux!
Fragile Allegiance - first time on Linux!
Gemini Rue
Gods Will Be Watching
Hammerwatch
Hocus Pocus - first time on Linux!
Kentucky Route Zero
The Last Federation
Legend of Grimrock
Litil Divil - first time on Linux!
Long Live the Queen
MouseCraft
Multiwinia
Normality - first time on Linux!
Pinball Gold Pack - first time on Linux!
Pinball World - first time on Linux!
Pirates! Gold Plus - first time on Linux!
Realms of the Haunting - first time on Linux!
Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender - first time on Linux!
Rise of the Triad: Dark War - first time on Linux!
Shattered Haven
The Shivah HD
Sid Meier's Colonization - first time on Linux!
Sid Meier's Covert Action - first time on Linux!
Sir, You Are Being Hunted
Slipstream 5000 - first time on Linux!
Space Pirates and Zombies
Spacechem
Stargunner - first time on Linux!
SteamWorld Dig
Super Hexagon
Surgeon Simulator 2013
Sword of the Samurai - first time on Linux!
Teslagrad
Unrest:Special Edition (Linux build on the way!)
Uplink
VVVVVV

As if this wasn't exciting enough, we've put more than half of these titles on a special promo! Head out to the promo page and find out which of them you can get up to 75% off until Tuesday, 9:59AM GMT. Of course, all of the games from the list above that you already own will be updated with Linux versions with no additional cost for you, just as you might have expected from GOG.com.

"OK, but how will Linux support actually work on GOG.com" - you might ask. For both native Linux versions, as well as special builds prepared by our team, GOG.com will provide distro-independent tar.gz archives and support convenient DEB installers for the two most popular Linux distributions: Ubuntu and Mint, in their current and future LTS editions. Helpful and responsive customer support has always been an important part of the GOG.com gaming experience. We wouldn't have it any other way when it comes to Linux, and starting today our helpdesk offers support for our official Linux releases on Ubuntu and Mint systems.

Diversity and freedom of choice have always been an important part of the GOG.com way. We're very glad that we could improve our service with the addition of the free (and DRM-Free) alternative to the commercial operating systems. Talking with gamers is just as important, so we're counting on your feedback! If you've got any questions, suggestions, or run into any trouble, just tell us in the forum thread below this post. Just please be gentle, this is [url=http://youtu.be/qBxbPts5tOk" target="_blank]our very first time[/url] with Linux. Happy launch day, everyone!
Was Gods Will Be Watching on the top sellers list ( it's on the 9th place atm ) before they added the Linux version ?
ET3D: Great! I've been meaning to start a new Linux experiment at some point (trying to use Linux for gaming), so that would certainly help. And now I no longer have an excuse to pick Steam for Linux support.
As a Linux beginner myself, I can easily recommend Mint 17 :)
Fantastic news, cheers GOG :)
niky45: I love you guys. seriously.

but.... PLEASE. *try* to avoid those wine builds. they are better than nothing (of course), but... that is not real linux support. (I know that somethiimes is the only thing that can be done... and that wine is better than nothing... but no real linux user/fan would consider that actual linux support).

or at least, state clearly that it runs through wine. I mean, the first time I saw that a linux port worked under wine, I felt... cheated. Now I only feel sad.
We'll avoid Wine builds as much as we can, we do realize that native versions are almost always better than their Wine'd counterparts, but it's not always possible with some games due to them not having a Linux port in the first place, legal issues, or the Linux port is so old that no amount of finagling will make it work...
GoG, I f*cking love you guys
JudasIscariot: we do realize that native versions are almost always better than their Wine'd counterparts
By the way, note that Civilization V Linux developers (Aspyr) said they can be open for adding GOG sales in the future:

http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/interview-with-aspyr-media-about-civilization-v-linux-gaming.4071

Q: Will your ports be Steam only releases, or do you plan to support fully DRM free stores like GOG in future too?

A: Currently we only have plans to publish on Steam, but we are always open to expanding the sales channel through other opportunities.
I hope GOG is aware of that and will have some talk with them.
Post edited July 24, 2014 by shmerl
Here are some other games that work for linux as well, just install using wine and that's it. That's the only time they will use Wine.

f117a nighthawk stealth fighter 2.0 http://www.gog.com/game/f117a_nighthawk_stealth_fighter_20

Strike Commander http://www.gog.com/game/strike_commander

Apache Longbow http://www.gog.com/game/apache_longbow

Apache vs Havok http://www.gog.com/game/apache_vs_havoc

Comanche vs Hokum http://www.gog.com/game/comanche_vs_hokum

all tested on Linux Mint 17
Post edited July 24, 2014 by larmannjan
This is the most excellent news! Thanks, GOG! You're awesome people! :D
AWESOME! I can't wait to see what come out in the coming months!
larmannjan: Here are some other games that work for linux as well, just install using wine and that's it.
Strike Commander http://www.gog.com/game/strike_commander
That's not a Windows game - no need to use Wine. You can play it straight in DosBox. Some others you mentioned probably too.
Post edited July 24, 2014 by shmerl
journeyman: Another good thing could be instead of bring your own binaries of common software (dosbox for example) set in the packages the dependency on that; and if not possible due to special modification to that libaries (which in spirirt of FOSS you should backport to original communities) or specific version dependency; setting up your own repository to avoid duplication of libraries & binaries (example you set up an apt repo which contains package "gog-commons-dosbox", so in Rex Nebular debian control file you simply declare that "gog-commons-dosbox" is required to install rex nebular)
IMO GOG should strive to provide Linux ports that work out of the box.
high rated
Nice one. Been looking forward to this day for a long time. :)

I do have some constructive criticism of the way the debs are put together. I hope in no way this deters you (GOG) from your great efforts into support for GNU/Linux systems – we all really appreciate it.

The debs are giving off some warnings. From the games I've tried so far:

chmod: cannot access `/home/lost+found/Desktop/gog-anomaly-warzone-earth*.desktop': Not a directory

chmod: cannot access `/home/lost+found/Desktop/gog-blake-stone-aliens-of-gold*.desktop': Not a directory

chmod: cannot access `/home/lost+found/Desktop/gog-dragonsphere*.desktop': Not a directory

cp: target `/home/lost+found/Desktop' is not a directory
chmod: cannot access `/home/lost+found/Desktop/gog-duke-nukem-3d*.desktop': Not a directory

chmod: cannot access `/home/lost+found/Desktop/gog-gemini-rue*.desktop': Not a directory

cp: target `/home/lost+found/Desktop' is not a directory
chmod: cannot access `/home/lost+found/Desktop/gog-rise-of-the-triad-dark-war*.desktop': Not a directory

It seems that the deb installer is trying to modify /home/*/Desktop/gamename.desktop, which is basically a no-no in GNU/Linux-land. You already have launchers under /usr/share/applications/ which puts icons on the menu. Packages should never touch the user's desktop on a GNU/Linux system. See http://askubuntu.com/questions/52800/adding-icons-to-desktop-after-package-installation for more details. In any case, "getent passwd | grep home | egrep -v 'nologin|false' | cut -d ':' -f 6" is a far more reliable way than "ls /home" which the support/gog_com.shlib script currently uses.

Blake stone also gave off warnings which probably relate to mishandling of whitespace (it probably shouldn't be using a * in a package anyway since the package should know what files it is managing):

chmod: cannot access `/opt/GOG Games/Blake Stone Aliens of Gold/docs/*': No such file or directory

I'm not sure if it's a bug or deliberate, but almost all of the permissions of installed contents under /opt/GOG Games are really insecure. Most directories are 0777 and most files are either 0777 (such as the dosbox binary and shell scripts) or 0666, which is a bit of a worry. Ideally directories would be 0755 and files 0644. The root:root ownership is correct. User preferences and configuration would then be stored in ~/.local/share/GOG/ which is unique to the user account.

I understand DOS games that expect R/W support everywhere might present some challenges, but unionfs-fuse is one way you could nicely solve that problem. eg.

$ mkdir -p ~/.local/share/GOG\ Games/Blake\ Stone\ Aliens\ of\ Gold/data ~/GOG\ Games/Blake\ Stone\ Aliens\ of\ Gold/
$ unionfs-fuse -o cow "${HOME}/.local/share/GOG Games/Blake Stone Aliens of Gold/data"=RW:"/opt/GOG Games/Blake Stone Aliens of Gold/data"=RO ${HOME}/GOG\ Games/Blake\ Stone\ Aliens\ of\ Gold/

Then just use the data directory in ~/GOG\ Games/Blake\ Stone\ Aliens\ of\ Gold and since it's copy-on-write (and games will usually just be adding saves and config file changes) this should prove quite efficient. Fuse also nicely avoids the permission problems with normal mount commands.

A problem I encountered (on my Debian Wheezy system – not supported, I know) was that absolutely nothing happened when I clicked on the icon. This is because many of the binaries (such as DosBox) have been built using a much newer libc, so older distributions sadly won't work. However, it would be nice if this type of error was detected via the wrapper scripts and the error message printed in a pop-up. As it stands, one must run the program from the command line to have any idea what went wrong, which is not terribly user-friendly.

It's also worth noting that, since I already have dosbox installed from my distribution, I was simply able to replace the dosbox wrapper script with a symlink to /usr/bin/dropbox, and the DOS games worked just fine. It's an issue the other wrapper scripts could easily detect and solve automatically.

One final (minor) concern I noticed with the debs was that the package names differed from the file names. eg. anomaly_warzone_earth_1.0.0.1.deb installs the page gog-anomaly-warzone-earth, blake_stone_aliens_of_gold_1.0.0.4.deb installs the package gog-blake-stone-aliens-of-gold. This inconsistency could cause confusion, as "apt-get remove anomaly_warzone_earth" and similar won't work. If the "gog-" prefix is to exist on all package names, the files should also be named that way - it's convention.

I also have a suggestion – it would be nice if packages were signed, or at least had a SHA1SUM file available to download (preferably both actually). Since installing a deb generally allows the package full root privileges to the system, it would be nice to be confident that it had not been tampered with before running it.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for providing GNU/Linux binaries. It's really nice to finally have a DRM-free native gaming option from a major publisher. Keep up the good work.
high rated
KiNaudiz: "Linux" is just a Kernel. When you're referring to an operating system it's mostly "GNU/Linux".
Do you really want to start that? I can go into detail on multiple reasons why it'll never be called "GNU/Linux" by anyone who matters, each capable of carrying the argument on its own. Here's just the short version:

1. Nobody who matters is going to use a name as unwieldy as "GNU/Linux". It's hard enough getting the average person to call it "Linux" rather than "Ubuntu".

2. It's not the correct expansion of "Runs on Linux". The detailed analogue to "Runs on Windows" or "Runs on MacOS X" is "Runs on X11/glibc/Linux" or "Runs on X11/Linux" and, sure enough, if you look in Firefox's User-Agent string, it says "X11; Linux".

(That's the reason Android and "Linux" binaries don't get along. Android uses a non-glibc standard C library named Bionic... but glibc, while important and provided by GNU, is a tiny part of a desktop operating system.)

3. Even if you include GCC (the compiler), which is a huge part of GNU's contribution to "Linux", most desktop distros don't, GNU still isn't the largest "userspace component". That's X.org (The X11 system) and GNU stuff is becoming more and more irrelevant to the average Linux desktop even among people who aren't actively trying to remove it to shut up GNU/Linux pedants.

If anything, it'd be more accurate to call the OS "FreeDesktop/Linux" since so many of the desktop standards are under the FreeDesktop.org umbrella... as are components like D-Bus.

Here are just a few examples of things that either are or will soon be on every desktop Linux distro and aren't GNU components:
- X11 (The graphical system. Sort of like a second kernel.)
- D-Bus (How desktop applications pass messages between each other and access many system services)
- The cron daemon (task scheduler)
- SystemD (The master process which coordinates startup and shutdown)
- All the stuff like PolicyKit that RedHat contributed to the modern Linux desktop
- Any desktop environment pieces not taken from GNOME

...and here are some things that are popular alternatives to GNU components while still producing a compatible system:
- BusyBox (Popular compact alternative to GNU coreutils. Stuff like bash, cp, mv, rm, mkdir, rmdir, etc.)
- llvm-clang (Popular alternative to the GNU C compiler since it catches more problems)

...not to mention that the Musl C library is working toward drop-in compatibility with glibc.

"GNU/Linux" is just Richard Stallman trying to claim undue credit for the free software ecosystem by lawyering the definition of "OS" as "What you need to build and run Emacs in a terminal (compiler included) and nothing more".

People don't say "Ubuntu/Linux" or "Android/Linux", nor do they say "MacOS X/Darwin". Saying "Linux" is sort of like saying "*BSD" or "The BSDs" but with more compatibility implied.

If Stallman wants people to call it GNU, he can put his money where his mouth is, rename the gNewSense distro to GNU, and attract enough of a user base to make it relevant. (Difficult to do when his hard-line stance against binary firmware blobs leaves so much hardware broken in gNewSense.)
ET3D: Great! I've been meaning to start a new Linux experiment at some point (trying to use Linux for gaming), so that would certainly help. And now I no longer have an excuse to pick Steam for Linux support.
JudasIscariot: As a Linux beginner myself, I can easily recommend Mint 17 :)
Mint and Ubuntu are good choice for casual Linuxers. :) I am a mod of a general Linux forum and I usually recommend one of the two. Big communities, a lot of online reference and pretty good support. Also easy to start with and pretty straight-forward.

For more technical types or "do it yourselvers" I would recommend something else. :) I personaly use Slackware. I use Linux since 2001. Not as long as some people I know, but stil long enough so I can feel old. :)

Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die. :D
@shmerl
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/use_tux_icon_for_identify_gnulinux_available_games
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/avoid_toolslibraries_duplication

Here are the wishlist items I created; and while i think that contact support can make them more aware of our wishes I think that is also thru community confrontation that great ides come out.