It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

50 games for the free OS available right NOW!

A while ago, [url=http://www.gog.com/news/gogcom_soon_on_more_platforms]we've announced our plans to add Linux support as one of the features of our digital platform, with 100 games on the launch day sometime this fall. We've put much time and effort into this project and now we've found ourselves with over 50 titles, classic and new, prepared for distribution, site infrastructure ready, support team trained and standing by, and absolutely no reason to wait until October or November. We're still aiming to have at least 100 Linux games in the coming months, but we've decided not to delay the launch just for the sake of having a nice-looking number to show off to the press. It's not about them, after all, it's about you. So, one of the most popular site feature requests on our community wishlist is granted today: Linux support has officially arrived on GOG.com!

The first 50+ titles we've have in store for you come from all the corners of our DRM-Free catalog. Note that we've got many classic titles coming officially to Linux for the very first time, thanks to the custom builds prepared by our dedicated team of penguin tamers. That's over twenty fan-favorite GOG.com classics, like &[url=http://www.gog.com/game/flatout_2]Flatout 2, , <a href="http://www.gog.com/game/darklands">Darklands, or Realms of the Haunting we've personally ushered one by one into the welcoming embrace of Linux gamers. That's already quite a nice chunk of our back-catalog, and you can expect more from our dedicated Linux team soon!

Now, for the recent titles. We've got some indie games with native Linux versions that finally find their well-deserved spot in our store. Among them, debuting on Linux, - a well received original comedic Sci-Fi puzzler. On top of that, be on the lookout for two new additions to the GOG.com catalog: [url=http://www.gog.com/game/gods_will_be_watching]Gods Will Be Watching (coming in a couple of hours) and Unrest:Special Edition (Linux build coming right up!), both of them very fresh and intriguing. This is the very first time we can provide you with all the PC versions of a premiere game, and we will continue to do so in the future. If there's a Linux version of a title we're releasing, our aim is to deliver it to you Day-1. But enough about us, let's talk about the games. Here's what you can be playing on Linux today:

Anomaly Warzone Earth
Ascendant
Bionic Dues
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold - first time on Linux!
Blake Stone: Planet Strike - first time on Linux!
Bloodnet - first time on Linux!
Braveland
CLARC - first time on Linux!
Darklands - first time on Linux!
Darwinia
Defcon
Don't Starve + DLC
Dragonsphere - first time on Linux!
Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition
FlatOut - first time on Linux!
Flatout 2 - first time on Linux!
Fragile Allegiance - first time on Linux!
Gemini Rue
Gods Will Be Watching
Hammerwatch
Hocus Pocus - first time on Linux!
Kentucky Route Zero
The Last Federation
Legend of Grimrock
Litil Divil - first time on Linux!
Long Live the Queen
MouseCraft
Multiwinia
Normality - first time on Linux!
Pinball Gold Pack - first time on Linux!
Pinball World - first time on Linux!
Pirates! Gold Plus - first time on Linux!
Realms of the Haunting - first time on Linux!
Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender - first time on Linux!
Rise of the Triad: Dark War - first time on Linux!
Shattered Haven
The Shivah HD
Sid Meier's Colonization - first time on Linux!
Sid Meier's Covert Action - first time on Linux!
Sir, You Are Being Hunted
Slipstream 5000 - first time on Linux!
Space Pirates and Zombies
Spacechem
Stargunner - first time on Linux!
SteamWorld Dig
Super Hexagon
Surgeon Simulator 2013
Sword of the Samurai - first time on Linux!
Teslagrad
Unrest:Special Edition (Linux build on the way!)
Uplink
VVVVVV

As if this wasn't exciting enough, we've put more than half of these titles on a special promo! Head out to the promo page and find out which of them you can get up to 75% off until Tuesday, 9:59AM GMT. Of course, all of the games from the list above that you already own will be updated with Linux versions with no additional cost for you, just as you might have expected from GOG.com.

"OK, but how will Linux support actually work on GOG.com" - you might ask. For both native Linux versions, as well as special builds prepared by our team, GOG.com will provide distro-independent tar.gz archives and support convenient DEB installers for the two most popular Linux distributions: Ubuntu and Mint, in their current and future LTS editions. Helpful and responsive customer support has always been an important part of the GOG.com gaming experience. We wouldn't have it any other way when it comes to Linux, and starting today our helpdesk offers support for our official Linux releases on Ubuntu and Mint systems.

Diversity and freedom of choice have always been an important part of the GOG.com way. We're very glad that we could improve our service with the addition of the free (and DRM-Free) alternative to the commercial operating systems. Talking with gamers is just as important, so we're counting on your feedback! If you've got any questions, suggestions, or run into any trouble, just tell us in the forum thread below this post. Just please be gentle, this is [url=http://youtu.be/qBxbPts5tOk" target="_blank]our very first time[/url] with Linux. Happy launch day, everyone!
JudasIscariot: Turn off all desktop effects if you are using a KDE desktop environment for an easier time, this is coming from someone who also is kind of a beginner as far as Linux is concerned :D
bernstein82: Probably a bit off topic and many will disagree (or even hate me for saying so):

I always thought of OSX as the linux (or rather: unix) desktop done right.

(i know it's based on freebsd with proprietary parts, requires comically expensive hardware & the gui doesn't offer much customization, but unless one goes ultra low-level the console/shell works like on any unix... it's fully posix & X11 compliant & with homebrew one can compile & run most stuff from the debian repositories)

ten years ago i tried the linux desktop for two years and every time i test it again it's still a very rough diamond (unstable, insecure, unconfigurable & ugly) with ultra slow polishing applied (yes even the latest mint), however i do run all my servers on linux... cause thats what it does best.

but to each his own :)
Linux Mint Cinnamon is probably the best I've seen. It winds up being a personal preference, but it looks and acts a lot like Windows 7 and has a generally sane interface. Nothing too flashy, but as long as the graphics drivers works I haven't had any trouble.
ssokolow: I think EDUKE32 has a non-commercial clause in its license, which would rule out GOG using it.
Matruchus: I don't know - I know it uses a GNU GPL licence and their own funny build licence. But it doesn't matter I was just curious.
It's the BUILD license I'm talking about. As I remember, it forbids commercial use.
spoonmeiser: I get a couple of errors when installing the debs on Debian:

# dpkg -i normality_1.0.0.4.deb
Selecting previously unselected package gog-normality.
(Reading database ... 347388 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack normality_1.0.0.4.deb ...
Unpacking gog-normality (1.0.0.4) ...
Setting up gog-normality (1.0.0.4) ...
cp: target ‘/home/linux-source-3.1/Desktop’ is not a directory
chmod: cannot access ‘/home/linux-source-3.1/Desktop/gog-normality*.desktop’: No such file or directory

And a similar one installing Duke Nukem 3D.

The games work after installing despite the errors.

I have no idea why you'd want to copy those files to those location anyway. I guess you're not targeting Debian specifically, but even so, if it's not needed (and I don't know why it would be) you perhaps shouldn't do it.
ssokolow: I think the "create desktop icons" portion of their postinstall script assumes that, for every /home/*, a /home/*/Desktop must exist.

(Which isn't a valid assumption even when you are looking at a desktop user's homedir. See also: ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs)
That's terrible: Why is it trying to add .desktop to each users home directory? What happens if I install a game and then add a new user? Do they get cleaned up if I uninstall the package?

Surely these should be added globally somewhere under /usr/share instead.

It would also be nice if wrapper scripts were added somewhere on PATH so that you could launch games from a command prompt.
spoonmeiser: That's terrible: Why is it trying to add .desktop to each users home directory? What happens if I install a game and then add a new user? Do they get cleaned up if I uninstall the package?

It would also be nice if wrapper scripts were added somewhere on PATH so that you could launch games from a command prompt.
Yes, it mixes two distinct approaches. Trying to install the package globally, while creating local launchers. That's simply incorrect. Just stick to tarballs and use local launchers anyway. And if packages are used, they should put launchers in /usr/share/applications for example.
Post edited July 30, 2014 by shmerl
spoonmeiser: That's terrible: Why is it trying to add .desktop to each users home directory? What happens if I install a game and then add a new user? Do they get cleaned up if I uninstall the package?

shmerl: Yes, it mixes two distinct approaches. Trying to install the package globally, while creating local launchers. That's simply incorrect. Just stick to tarballs and use local launchers anyway. And if packages are used, they should put launchers in /usr/share/applications for example.
They do also put launchers in /usr/share/applications. They don't understand that the "No global desktop icon API. Users must manually create desktop icons" part is by design.

That's why xdg-desktop-icon lacks the --mode system option offered by xdg-desktop-menu,

(In fact, given that PlayOnLinux does the same stupid thing (the "not asking" part), I've been considering writing a pasuspender-style launcher which would allow me to run nodesktop playonlinux or nodesktop sudo dpkg -i gog-whatever.deb and have any attempt to add desktop icons blocked)
Post edited July 30, 2014 by ssokolow
spoonmeiser: It would also be nice if wrapper scripts were added somewhere on PATH so that you could launch games from a command prompt.
I'd bet /usr/games (where wrappers are placed as gog-gamename.sh if I remember correctly - too lazy to check) is in $PATH on Ubuntu and Mint (it is on my Debian machine).
Magmarock: Thanks for your helpful advice, but I'm afraid I only understood about half of what you said.
ssokolow: Which half? (I'm giving you a simplified version, but I still want to know where I got too lazy)

Basically, there are multiple ways you can lay out files on a hard drive, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.

Windows and MacOS said "Let's keep everything together so users can easily add and remove stuff. The OS will just have to work harder to find things once they're installed".

Linux, on the other hand, said "We've got tools that keep track of packages and handle adding and removing stuff for the user, so let's arrange things in the way that makes it easiest for the computer to do day-to-day tasks."

The commands I offered were:

List files installed by a package: dpkg -L package-name

Search for the package which provided a certain file: dpkg -S filename_fragment
Linux us fast, so maybe that's what you mean by easier for the computer. But it's not as easy for the user. I like to be in charge of what's installed, where and when and how.
ssokolow: Which half? (I'm giving you a simplified version, but I still want to know where I got too lazy)

Basically, there are multiple ways you can lay out files on a hard drive, each with its own advantages and disadvantages.

Windows and MacOS said "Let's keep everything together so users can easily add and remove stuff. The OS will just have to work harder to find things once they're installed".

Linux, on the other hand, said "We've got tools that keep track of packages and handle adding and removing stuff for the user, so let's arrange things in the way that makes it easiest for the computer to do day-to-day tasks."

Magmarock: Linux us fast, so maybe that's what you mean by easier for the computer. But it's not as easy for the user. I like to be in charge of what's installed, where and when and how.
Then use the tarball. The primary purpose of .deb files is to install and update system components like SDL (Linux's DirectX analogue) and bash (The most popular equivalent of command.com or cmd.exe for running Linux's equivalent to .BAT files.) which need to be in specific places or things which depend on them break.

It's not the .deb format's fault that, because most people just want it to work and don't care where things are installed, it's become popular as a means to install 3rd-party programs. (Think notepad.deb and mspaint.deb. Windows doesn't let you choose where bundled accessories get installed either.)
Post edited July 30, 2014 by ssokolow
GOG.com: 50 games for the free OS available right NOW!

A while ago, [url=http://www.gog.com/news/gogcom_soon_on_more_platforms]we've announced our plans to add Linux support
Great news :)

Hecke: I think it would be easier to give him a link to the FHS and a short overview of dpkg-commands :)

FHS:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

dpkg/rpm-Reference:
http://packman.linux.is/

:)

Edit: rpm not yum....
Yes I'm not fond of the Linux hierarchy I do prefer Windows in tat regard. I am interested in Linux because Windows 8 was terrible. What I'd really like is a version of Linux that pretty much is Windows 7 in all but name. and Not under the control of Microsoft. I would pay for something like that. Closest I could fine was Zorin.
Hecke: I think it would be easier to give him a link to the FHS and a short overview of dpkg-commands :)

FHS:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

dpkg/rpm-Reference:
http://packman.linux.is/

:)

Edit: rpm not yum....
Magmarock: Yes I'm not fond of the Linux hierarchy I do prefer Windows in tat regard. I am interested in Linux because Windows 8 was terrible. What I'd really like is a version of Linux that pretty much is Windows 7 in all but name. and Not under the control of Microsoft. I would pay for something like that. Closest I could fine was Zorin.
I'm the opposite, I loathe how Windows does their file system. In fact there pretty much is no rhyme or reason to it. They tried to clean it up from the old DOS days where people just put their crap wherever. Oh, so what do we get instead? We get a Users directory (think equivalent to /home in Linux), Program Files (think /usr/bin/) and Windows (think /usr/sbin). But the problem is, that there is no standard way of putting the folders in any of those. Windows is pretty much hands off for third party, for good reason. But Program Files.. The software either does <company name>\<program> or just <program>. Same with the launcher bar. Oh and so many of them just throw up icons on your desktop if you like it or not.

Linux will categorize everything for you as well. What Windows really needs is something like what GO launcher on Android does, where you can select 'auto-folder' and it'll do a good guess at moving icons into 'games', 'network', 'media' etc.

I've found that most people who try to use Linux always complain about the FHS, and all it really does is take a quick read and it makes a lot of sense.

Reminds me of the time a guy I know said he was so terribly confused on my Atari ST, when he was used to DOS and his 6 folders he had to go into.... I pretty much had "C:\Games\<Game Name>\ And of course double clicking on icons is so hard :D
Looks like Witcher 3 was confirmed for Linux by CD Projekt Red developers.
Post edited July 31, 2014 by shmerl
Magmarock: Yes I'm not fond of the Linux hierarchy I do prefer Windows in tat regard. I am interested in Linux because Windows 8 was terrible. What I'd really like is a version of Linux that pretty much is Windows 7 in all but name. and Not under the control of Microsoft. I would pay for something like that. Closest I could fine was Zorin.
slaapliedje: I'm the opposite, I loathe how Windows does their file system. In fact there pretty much is no rhyme or reason to it. They tried to clean it up from the old DOS days where people just put their crap wherever. Oh, so what do we get instead? We get a Users directory (think equivalent to /home in Linux), Program Files (think /usr/bin/) and Windows (think /usr/sbin). But the problem is, that there is no standard way of putting the folders in any of those. Windows is pretty much hands off for third party, for good reason. But Program Files.. The software either does <company name>\<program> or just <program>. Same with the launcher bar. Oh and so many of them just throw up icons on your desktop if you like it or not.

Linux will categorize everything for you as well. What Windows really needs is something like what GO launcher on Android does, where you can select 'auto-folder' and it'll do a good guess at moving icons into 'games', 'network', 'media' etc.

I've found that most people who try to use Linux always complain about the FHS, and all it really does is take a quick read and it makes a lot of sense.

Reminds me of the time a guy I know said he was so terribly confused on my Atari ST, when he was used to DOS and his 6 folders he had to go into.... I pretty much had "C:\Games\<Game Name>\ And of course double clicking on icons is so hard :D
I like to be in control of the file structure. What I really don't like about the Linux software manager is how much it depends on the internet to function. While you can go to many of the websites linked in the software manager to try and get the offline installer for the programs it often doesn't work because of dependencies and other reasons. Have you ever tried to install wine on an offline Mint system. I still can't figure it out.

The reason I love GOG so much is because of their DRM free policy. Linux might not use DRM but it needs the internet just as much as software that does.
Magmarock: The reason I love GOG so much is because of their DRM free policy. Linux might not use DRM but it needs the internet just as much as software that does.
You're free to mirror a software repository locally. But other than that, once you have the software that you need loaded on the machine, you can pretty much pull the plug if Internet access is not required for anything else. To say that any distro requires the internet more than your average Windows/OS X install sounds ridiculous to me. Actually no, it sounds trollish.

CDs and DVDs and other media can easily be added as software repositories as long as they provide the proper packages

Repositories/Ubuntu

How do you usually install software for windows? You download it from a site and either unpack the archive or run the installer.

How do you usually install software for OS X? You download a package from a site and you either just unpack it or unpack it and run the provided installer utility.

How do you usually install software for a linux distro? You download a package from a site (either with the browser or with a software manager - like apt) which you feed to the package manager or a tarball which you simply unpack anywhere on your FS where you have write permissions

Magmarock: I like to be in control of the file structure.
Use Windows then. Btw, it still does not allow you to "control the FS structure". It still has default locations for where where files go. Sure, you can tell it to put some files elsewhere if you have the proper permissions to access that location

If you want Linux to be Windows, then you're in the wrong place and simply doing it wrong. Sorry.
This may have already been answered, but I did read through the whole thread and do not remember seeing it as such. How does GOG see if a game is being obtained for Linux, Mac OS, or Windows? How will Galaxy aid in the process? One would think this is fairly obvious and that it does not need questioning but Steam has proven otherwise.