It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Gekko_Dekko: But, speaking of awfull things that could happen - personally, I think that, due to recent changes, related to steam's privacy settings, GoG may get rid of connect. So - they could just make "encore" with all gog connect games, available to link in past. But thats just my personal thoughs, based on recent events - dont hurt me for that.
In the past people were informed that they might have to make their Steam profile public (at least temporarily) if they wanted to participate in GOG Connect. All that has changed now ist that profiles are private by default. You can can still to set it to public if you want to.
teleguy: That certainly would be weirdly worded though. Discounts on GOG and Steam usually are for free. I mean what should be the alternative? "You get a discount bit only if you pay extra"?
Yeah I know. It is certainly not the way I would have worded it.

I must mean something though, else it is just discounts like usual with a big sale, and I can't imagine it will be heaps of freebies.
Post edited April 15, 2018 by Timboli
Oh damn, that made me miss the old gog logo. :(

But people, why complain? Isn't the reason we're/many of us are here the fact that the games are DRM-free? As long as GoG sticks to that they'll have my loyalty; if they give away free stuff that just makes me spread the word even more than I already do.
AlienMind: This is the final nail then. You could just be content in your niche instead of wanting to become steams little brother.
wolfsite: The problem here though is that in business you need to grow, you can't just stay the same because then you stagnate and die. The big selling point of GOG when it first started was that it was one of the few, if not only, places to legally acquire classic PC games with little or no work on the user side to get running, but now you can get a good chunk of these old games on other sites like Steam (many of them using to wrapper that GOG created to get them running).

If they just stayed the same then there user base would shrink because they would figure any releases on GOG would end up on Steam anyway so no point in using GOG. Fewer people means less revenue they get to work on the site and to hire people to work on getting more troublesome games running and so on
The big selling point is DRM-free, not just having classic games run. They go hand-in-hand. If keeping things the same means remaining DRM-free, then I am all for that kind of "stagnation".

You really sell niche markets short. It can be extremely lucrative to cater to the same dedicated audience that everyone else is ignoring. There are also ways to include new customers into a niche market without alienating the original ones. A lot of the battle might just be making people aware that there are other options. SCHEME's monopoly is absolutely insidious. I would prefer some more aggressive counter-marketing along the lines of "hey, did you know that you don't need to log into clients and have internet access to play games?". Of course this goes against the heavy Galaxy push here, but it would open the minds of many consumers who probably have just never thought there could be a different (and objectively superior) way.

wolfsite: So GOG needs to grow and add more software to get more people to use there site so they can show these other publishers that releasing there games on GOG is not a wasted effort.
You omit the fact that certain publishers refuse to do DRM-free at all. I say "Eff them" and their games. The wishlist feature is very helpful to gauge interest imo; cleaning up the duplicate entries will improve this even more.

GOG continues to add more software. There are still plenty of amazing old games not here yet, btw, to say nothing of getting newer AAA games like Mafia III. If Square Enix would ever do DRM-free, the floodgates would open imo.

Here is what I want to know: how does copying SCHEME tell a publisher that releasing on GOG is "not a wasted effort"? Wouldn't all the SCHEME fanboys and mindless masses just buy the game on SCHEME anyway? Even with copycat crizzap like Galaxy here? :)
Some of the reasons for all the crying, confusion and controversy seem to be their ambiguous and contradictory statements on twitter, combined with the absence of any statement here on their website.

On the one hand they claim "We're granting thousands of wishes to gog users for #free!" and on the other "The most wishlisted games will get super cheap!" So are they to give away games or are they only giving "super" discounts? Or both? To further add to the confusion: "But we are not mind readers, so you know... (START YOUR WISHLIST". This may or may not suggest only those with wish-lists will get the discounts and/or the free games. And if so, will it only be the games on our wish-lists? Whatever they actually mean by all this, it may be prudent to fasten your seatbelts, we could be in for an extremely risky and hazardous ride!
deleted
low rated
wolfsite: The problem here though is that in business you need to grow, you can't just stay the same because then you stagnate and die. The big selling point of GOG when it first started was that it was one of the few, if not only, places to legally acquire classic PC games with little or no work on the user side to get running, but now you can get a good chunk of these old games on other sites like Steam (many of them using to wrapper that GOG created to get them running).

If they just stayed the same then there user base would shrink because they would figure any releases on GOG would end up on Steam anyway so no point in using GOG. Fewer people means less revenue they get to work on the site and to hire people to work on getting more troublesome games running and so on
rjbuffchix: The big selling point is DRM-free, not just having classic games run. They go hand-in-hand. If keeping things the same means remaining DRM-free, then I am all for that kind of "stagnation".

You really sell niche markets short. It can be extremely lucrative to cater to the same dedicated audience that everyone else is ignoring. There are also ways to include new customers into a niche market without alienating the original ones. A lot of the battle might just be making people aware that there are other options. SCHEME's monopoly is absolutely insidious. I would prefer some more aggressive counter-marketing along the lines of "hey, did you know that you don't need to log into clients and have internet access to play games?". Of course this goes against the heavy Galaxy push here, but it would open the minds of many consumers who probably have just never thought there could be a different (and objectively superior) way.

wolfsite: So GOG needs to grow and add more software to get more people to use there site so they can show these other publishers that releasing there games on GOG is not a wasted effort.
rjbuffchix: You omit the fact that certain publishers refuse to do DRM-free at all. I say "Eff them" and their games. The wishlist feature is very helpful to gauge interest imo; cleaning up the duplicate entries will improve this even more.

GOG continues to add more software. There are still plenty of amazing old games not here yet, btw, to say nothing of getting newer AAA games like Mafia III. If Square Enix would ever do DRM-free, the floodgates would open imo.

Here is what I want to know: how does copying SCHEME tell a publisher that releasing on GOG is "not a wasted effort"? Wouldn't all the SCHEME fanboys and mindless masses just buy the game on SCHEME anyway? Even with copycat crizzap like Galaxy here? :)
Wow, I'm being accused of things I didn't even say in this. I was trying to paint with a broad brush but I feel like I got pigeon holed into a corner and shitted on. I didn't even say anything about copying Steam but somehow that got shoved in there also.

-I wasn't even talking about the wishlist so I don't see why you were acting like I was attacking it.

-I'm aware that there are still a lot of old games not on here, the problem is the rights to those games have been purchased and re-purchased as companies have been bought and sold and the new IP holders just may not see viability in (or even care about) re-releasing old games, the more success GOG, the more visibility GOG has in the over market, the more influence they can excerpt when approaching the IP holders to make the games available again.

Or the opposite, the IP holders are looking at news feeds and see GOG doing well selling classic games and decide to enter into an agreement, so the more times GOG is in the spotlight the greater chances of this happens.

- I didn't omit the fact of DRM-free, the issue is the new generation of gamer (on average) don't see DRM as a problem, if they did Steam wouldn't be the success it is today and other clients like Origin wouldn't exist. To me DRM-free is important but the current market sees otherwise, especially since most games being released today require some form of Internet connection which the gaming community as a whole seem fine with. Steam isn't going to listen to 1,000 people complaining when they have 1,000,000 people constantly logging in and praising the format on the whole.

Also despite people not liking Galaxy, there are PC gamers out there who were born after the introduction of Steam and many of those gamers only know how access games using clients, offering a client here on GOG is just a way to make those gamers feel more comfortable moving to another platform.

This is also why I hate having discussions on a forum or message board as what you type can be misinterpreted or not seen in the same light as you originally wanted it in. I'm pro GOG and Pro DRM free yet I feel like I was seen as PRo Steam and Pro DRM from the replies.
wolfsite: This is also why I hate having discussions on a forum or message board as what you type can be misinterpreted or not seen in the same light as you originally wanted it in. I'm pro GOG and Pro DRM free yet I feel like I was seen as PRo Steam and Pro DRM from the replies.
Honestly you are better off ignoring the naysayers .... I suspect they are all Steam fan boys & girls anyway.

Anyone would think a store like GOG was normal the way some go on. They just don't know or have forgotten just how lucky they & we are to have a store anything remotely like GOG. They just nitpick and nitpick to ad nauseum.

It is unbelievable how angry and aggressive some get over GOG. GOG don't owe them anything. Instead of being grateful for what GOG has amazingly provided, some just always want more ... like spoilt brats.
wolfsite: This is also why I hate having discussions on a forum or message board as what you type can be misinterpreted or not seen in the same light as you originally wanted it in. I'm pro GOG and Pro DRM free yet I feel like I was seen as PRo Steam and Pro DRM from the replies.
Timboli: Honestly you are better off ignoring the naysayers .... I suspect they are all Steam fan boys & girls anyway.

Anyone would think a store like GOG was normal the way some go on. They just don't know or have forgotten just how lucky they & we are to have a store anything remotely like GOG. They just nitpick and nitpick to ad nauseum.

It is unbelievable how angry and aggressive some get over GOG. GOG don't owe them anything. Instead of being grateful for what GOG has amazingly provided, some just always want more ... like spoilt brats.
Thanks for the reply. +1
To the wishlist makers :

Don't expect a 66% off discount for these games :

Divinity: Original Sin 2
Elex
Kingdom Come: Deliverance

I bet these will be n sale again :

- Beamdog titles
- Gearbox titles
- inXile Entertainment titles
- Obsidian Entertainment titles ( published by Paradox )
- Stardock crap

and of course Shadow Warrior 2
Post edited April 15, 2018 by i_hope_you_rot
This kind of blew up pretty big over the weekend, probably bigger than GOG expected. I think some people are in for some disappointment. Pretty good marketing stunt though.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: Is that not correct? If it is, then how can GOG guarantee that they will be able to make the most wishlisted games super cheap, when they don't yet know what games those will be, nor if their IP holders will agree for them to become super cheap?
They probably have stats on this info. I imagine they already contacted all publishers involved and don't expect the most wishlisted games to change much. And saying "the most wishlisted games" doesn't exactly mean all top wishlisted games in the order that they are wishlsited. Just probably that they will select games randomly that are in the top, ones they can get approval for.
Post edited April 15, 2018 by BKGaming
finkleroy: -The most wishlisted games will get super cheap!
Ancient-Red-Dragon: I am confused about how GOG is able to promise that. I thought that GOG was only able to set sale prices if the IP holders of the games agree to that first, and that GOG could not set discount percentages higher than what the IP holders agreed to beforehand.

Is that not correct? If it is, then how can GOG guarantee that they will be able to make the most wishlisted games super cheap, when they don't yet know what games those will be, nor if their IP holders will agree for them to become super cheap?

Alternatively, if how I thought the setting of prices worked is not actually how it works, then how does it work?
They probably worked this all out weeks ago with the publishers.
wolfsite: [...]
- I didn't omit the fact of DRM-free, the issue is the new generation of gamer (on average) don't see DRM as a problem, if they did Steam wouldn't be the success it is today and other clients like Origin wouldn't exist. To me DRM-free is important but the current market sees otherwise, especially since most games being released today require some form of Internet connection which the gaming community as a whole seem fine with. Steam isn't going to listen to 1,000 people complaining when they have 1,000,000 people constantly logging in and praising the format on the whole.

Also despite people not liking Galaxy, there are PC gamers out there who were born after the introduction of Steam and many of those gamers only know how access games using clients, offering a client here on GOG is just a way to make those gamers feel more comfortable moving to another platform.

This is also why I hate having discussions on a forum or message board as what you type can be misinterpreted [...]
I don't really understand where you're seeing such aggression in my response. I had suggested the wishlist as food for thought, btw.

With all due respect, I don't think you're understanding my point about embracing a niche market instead of trying to be an inferior copy of something that already has a monopoly.

To take your hypothetical, what if I told you those "1,000 people" were unwilling to spend a cent on SCHEME, but would quite happily spend significant amounts of money on a DRM-free store like GOG? Wouldn't it make sense to try and cater to them, and also to expand that niche audience? Yes, potentially there is a much bigger audience that uses SCHEME, but it is unrealistic that SCHEME can be beaten at their own game.

I am aware that in this day and age, the vast majority of gamers use clients because they either don't know better or don't care. My position is that to really sell DRM-free as a concept, people need to be aware that they can break free of clients. This is what I meant by suggesting aggressive counter-marketing. Metaphorically rubbing it in the competitor's face that you can do something *better* than them, rather than trying to imitate what they have already (supposedly) "perfected".

Timboli: Honestly you are better off ignoring the naysayers .... I suspect they are all Steam fan boys & girls anyway.

You certainly shouldn't be getting this from my posts, friend...I am very consistent in my position. I also do often go out of my way to point out what a boon GOG is. I am so emphatic because I want it to stay this way! Also, I would quibble a bit with what you said,as I believe that gamers should demand stores like GOG *ARE* the normal.
rjbuffchix: My position is that to really sell DRM-free as a concept, people need to be aware that they can break free of clients.
Why exactly? Clients just allow games & gamers to be organized. They allow integration that makes performing certain functions like patching a game or online MP infrastructure / API's easier, they allow an easier way to deliver content to end users.

What we SHOULD be fighting is clients that make games depended on them to function completely even for offline play and single player ( I do believe exceptions should be made in certain cases like when games designed as full online MP only games though). Galaxy isn't in the majority of cases needed or required. Steam is required in the majority of cases.

Every game on Galaxy (with the exception of Gwent for obvious reasons) will work outside of Galaxy. We can move our game folders to another PC and still play them. We can uninstall Galaxy and our games will still work and most importantly our games will (regardless of how they are installed via Galaxy or classic installer) work when GOG is no longer in business.

Using a client isn't inherently bad. What can be bad is how they are designed to function.
Post edited April 15, 2018 by BKGaming
Whats all the fuss about. Free games all pruned and ready for transpant to my tablet? I'll have some!