It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Hi,

welcome to the official GOG Galaxy forum thread. Please read the below info first:

== GOG GALAXY FEATURES IN GAMES ==

List of games supporting various GOG Galaxy features:
Achievements: https://www.gog.com/games?feature=achievements&sort=bestselling&page=1
Cloud Saves: https://www.gog.com/games?feature=cloud_saves&sort=bestselling&page=1
Overlay: https://www.gog.com/games?feature=overlay&sort=bestselling&page=1

== BUG REPORTING ==

Please use: http://mantis.gog.com and include
1. steps to reproduce the bug (if possible)
2. screenshot or movie showing the bug (if possible)
3. Galaxy Client logs (location described on mantis report page)

== FEATURE SUGGESTIONS ==

Please use: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy. For feature suggestions and votes on them please try do explain how Galaxy and its users will really benefit from it.

== IMPORT ALREADY INSTALLED GAMES TO GALAXY ==

1. For GOG games installed using installers from the last few months (so called Galaxy-compatible installers)
Click the Galaxy logo button on top of the sidebar and select "scan and import folders" - it will find all compatible games within that folder and add them to the Client.

2. For remaining GOG game INSTALLATIONS
Find the game in the Library (click on the image of the game), then click the More button and select "Manage Installation" -> "Import folder" and point the folder selector into the folder where that game is installed.

== KNOWN ISSUES ==
- Galaxy cannot be launched by other users on the same computer

== CHANGELOG ==

1.2.49 (November 29, 2018)
- [Windows] Updater now requires administrator privileges to perform update of GOG Galaxy
- [Windows] Security of directories containing GOG Galaxy files has been improved
- [Windows] Updated Code Signing Certificate
- [Windows] Crash reporter has been added to Galaxy Communication Service
Bugfixes:
- Prevented several potential causes of "broken" games, where only way out was reinstalling
- [MacOS] Fixed a crash on shutdown when fatal error was shown

1.2.50 (December 13, 2018)
Changes & Improvements:
- Speed up startup time
- [MacOS] Strengthen up connection security with ClientService
Bugfixes:
- Fixed "disk access problem" when installing games, occuring mostly on fresh installation of GOG Galaxy
- Fixed a rare occurrence of a game update resulting in displaying "unknown game version"

1.2.51 (December 20, 2018)
- Improved Korean translations
- Fixed connection to notifications pusher in GOG Galaxy SDK

1.2.54 (March 14, 2019)
Changes and Improvements:
- Updated Chromium version to 71:
- Better performance
- Fixes playing Twitch videos on profiles
- Fixes playing Wistia videos
- Security fixes in the game installation process
- Security fixes in GOG Galaxy update process
- GOG Galaxy Updater should perform better under poor network conditions
Bugfixes:
- [macOS] Fixed passing multiple commandline arguments to games
- [macOS] Multiple "friend online" notifications will no longer appear when system wakes up
- Dates are now properly displayed in cloud saves conflict window

1.2.55 (April 17, 2019)
- Hotfix for unintentional opening of Facebook link after entering Forum

1.2.56 (May 06, 2019)
Bugfixes:
- [Windows] GOG Galaxy will fix the path to its internal services, if it finds it is wrong
- Updating of games' local dependencies (e.g. Dosbox) will be handled correctly
- Unexpected files in games' directories will no longer cause failure of games’ update

1.2.57 (June 12, 2019)
Changes and Improvements:
- Minor download speed optimizations
- Changes in PayPal payment flow
Bugfixes:
- Fixed rare crash occurence when reordering games' updates and installations
- GOG Galaxy will correctly reconnect to GOG services after long time of no internet connection

1.2.58 (September 13, 2019)
macOS:
- Enabled hardened runtime, making our application more secure
- Implemented Apple's notarization

1.2.59 (September 23, 2019)
Overlay:
- [Windows] Fixed crash in Overlay affecting some games (including Fallout 3 (Radeon only) and Dragon Age: Origins)
Achievements:
- [Windows] Fixed issue with achievements sometimes not being saved while playing offline

1.2.60 Beta (07 October, 2019)
General:
- Updated CEF version to 3729 (Chromium to 74)
- Security fixes
Updater:
- Will no longer download updates at startup, they will be downloaded in the background, while the application is running
- [Windows] No additional UAC prompt during update

1.2.61 Beta (October 23, 2019)
Updater:
- Fixed an issue where non-admin users would not be able to update to newer versions of GOG Galaxy

1.2.62 Beta (October 30, 2019)
Overlay:
- Fixed crashes for various games

1.2.63 (December 02, 2019)
General:
- Updated CEF version to 3729 (Chromium to 74)
- Security fixes
Updater:
- Will no longer download updates at startup, they will be downloaded in the background, while the application is running
- [Windows] No additional UAC prompt during update
Overlay [Windows]:
- Now supports games which use Vulkan API (e.g. Jupiter Hell, X4: Foundations)
- Fixes crashes for various games

1.2.64 (December 04, 2019)
- Hotfix for launching games

1.2.66 (January 23, 2020)
- Added information about GOG Galaxy 2.0 Open Beta
- Optimization related to showing download progress
- Fixed an issue where Overlay did not launch for some games that use Vulkan
- [Windows] Updated code signing certificate
- [MacOS] Crash fixes

1.2.67 (February 24, 2020)
General:
- [Windows] GOG Galaxy will now show a warning when trying to run on non-NTFS file systems
- Improved security of the application
- Updated POCO library
GOG GALAXY Update:
- Fixes for bugs in the GOG Galaxy update process
Post edited February 24, 2020 by TheTomasz
Hi,

we are working on the slow init issue, we should have a hotfix ready today or tomorrow.

Liosan
Liosan: Hi,

we are working on the slow init issue, we should have a hotfix ready today or tomorrow.

Liosan
thank you

Liosan
Good to hear, thank you. :)

Liosan
Thx !
Any chance you guys can add Galaxy support for Rune Gold (Original) and Earth 2140 DOS? Earth 2140 DOS especially as the Windows version's AI is broken. Baffled that the DOS version is not supported.

Liosan
Thanks.
Could you please stop Galaxy from "auto-starting" when I click on a game to play? I HATE Steam because there is no choice but have it running. Please don't make me HATE Galaxy for the same reason.

I have checked all available "settings" and see nothing that says, "Auto-start Galaxy when games are launched."

To be clear: I do NOT want Galaxy running JUST to play my single player games!

[EDIT]
Or do I just need to uninstall the "thing?"
Post edited September 06, 2017 by AlBQuirky
AlBQuirky: Could you please stop Galaxy from "auto-starting" when I click on a game to play? I HATE Steam because there is no choice but have it running. Please don't make me HATE Galaxy for the same reason.

I have checked all available "settings" and see nothing that says, "Auto-start Galaxy when games are launched."

To be clear: I do NOT want Galaxy running JUST to play my single player games!

[EDIT]
Or do I just need to uninstall the "thing?"
It's just a change to the shortcut settings, you can bypass it by going directly to the exe file of the game and making a new shortcut.
RTA: Yes, I have more than ten games. Yes, I have installation folders on more than one drive.
No, I do not understand why this creates a problem for Galaxy.
BKGaming: I'm thinking this may be your issue. Not that your really doing anything wrong per say, but it seems to be Galaxy has trouble with installations that are spread out like this over multiple folder in multiple drives. At-least from what I've seen. I imagine GOG will get this worked out eventually though.

If you have the space I would recommend copying all your game installation folders to a single folder called "Games" on one drive only. AFTER you have copied them all to a separate location, uninstall them from Galaxy. You may even want to uninstall Galaxy too and delete the GOG folder in ProgramData to have clean install.

Re-install Galaxy to the drive where you want all your games to be in. Put the "Games" folder inside the Galaxy folder which is the default for Galaxy. Then scan and import by going to the GOG logo in top left -> scan and import -> select games folder. Make sure auto updates are on (recommended if you have no data limit).

I for instance on my PC have two HDD's each being 1 TB. My OS is installed on C:\ and I have Galaxy installed on D:\ which is reserved for games only.

So mine looks like this D:\GOG Galaxy\Games

Typically during scan and import I will only need to download 100MB give or take per game. Usually Galaxy can detect the game files already on the hard drive. Most games are only 1 - 2 MB, and you can save data & time by copying the "Dependencies" folder from the GOG Galaxy installation folder and putting it back in after a fresh install. This typically what Galaxy is downloading when I scan & import, not actual game files.

Just what I recommend, but do so as your own risk. I've never had Galaxy trash it's database on an update with this set up. I have trashed it myself once but that was my fault. Lol

If that doesn't work then the only other thing I can think of is a permissions issue with the ProgramData folder where the database is stored. But that should be handled by Galaxy.
Mine STILL 'updating' and is nowhere near finished. Maybe half way through ?
Sadly I can't put all my GOG Games onto just one spindle. I have two USB3 2Tb externals and some other older installs on a 1Tb internal. To put that little lot on just one drive would require me getting a 6 or 8Tb external and I'd rather not do that just to get around a problem with Galaxy. I'd prefer them to make Galaxy a little more sensible and a little less of a resource hog.
I could update my games manually quite easily. Having gone down the Galaxy route it seems to be getting worse rather than better. I had the first Galaxy beta and never had these sorts of problems.

For something that's meant to be a simple launch platform, it seems to be failing rather badly.
That's really all I wanted.
They seem to be building more and more 'features' into the Galaxy client and each one seems to make it less and less usable. Get it working first, tidy up the code, THEN start adding to it.
With the amount of drive thrashing it seems to want to do at the moment, I dread to think what would happen if I attempted to run a game through it. I can't even open a web browser when it's running without waiting an eternity for it to respond.

On the bright side, I've not noticed Galaxy starting up any slower than normal, it's just impossible to close as it doesn't want to give your keyboard or mouse back. Three out of four times I end up having to kill the process through task manager just to get rid of it and get my PC back.

It can't be just affecting me, although everybody's installations will be different as regards what else might be installed, conflicts etc. The drain this must be putting on the GOG servers must be phenomenal. Surely GOG's own server logs would flag this up ?

New Galaxy build -> Spike in server usage.

That would be a bigger diagnostic clue than trying to ferret through multiple hardware/software configurations of the user base, as every single user will have a different combination of hardware and software.

I've not totally given up on Galaxy yet, but I'm getting very, very close.
One more 'you have no games installed' or 'failed to load game database' message and that's its lot.
RTA: Sadly I can't put all my GOG Games onto just one spindle. I have two USB3 2Tb externals and some other older installs on a 1Tb internal. To put that little lot on just one drive would require me getting a 6 or 8Tb external and I'd rather not do that just to get around a problem with Galaxy. I'd prefer them to make Galaxy a little more sensible and a little less of a resource hog.
Jeez how many games do you have installed? xD

Anyway... do you unplug these external drives when not in use? It's possible Galaxy is losing it's database configuration when the drives are unpluged if so which messes up Galaxy when GOG goes to update the database.

This would not be the first time a program has lost stored information when a external drive was unplugged and/or powered off.

I'm kind of out of ideas though at this point. Sorry.
Post edited September 06, 2017 by BKGaming

Liosan
The thumbnails/icons not displaying also needs to be investigated. This appears to have become a lot more common with the last few updates. I've noticed a few reports of this issue now via myself, mantis, and reddit.

When this happens the icon is blank, the background image is also blank, and the title of the text may be the old format (ie The Elder Scrolls Arena vs Elder Scrolls Arena, The). Seems to be some kind of cache issue, and sometimes a complete restart of the client, then clicking on the game page is needed to fix it.

Reported by krashd here.
Post edited September 06, 2017 by BKGaming
Just throwing my name in the hat. Galaxy decided not to start within what seemed a reasonable amount of time upon reboot, and I uninstalled and (painfully) reinstalled before finding this thread. The reinstall process took about 5 minutes during the "Creating directories" portion, using a 3.5 ghz FX 8320 AMD cpu, 16 gigs of RAM, and a 7,200 RPM hard drive. I don't have any logs to post.
Can anyone help me with gog galaxy being unable to update. I've tried uninstalling every last little bit of gog off my hardrive and and downloading the newest version but every time I start gog galaxy I get the same error message
"There was a problem with updating the application. You can always download the latest version from:" which is what I just did.
I can still log in, I can still play and buy games, but every time I start gog it tries to update and fails. Sometimes I'm still logged in but usually not (and then I have to re-authenticate etc).
Just dropped in to add that the same issue happened with mine but it seems you guys are already on it. Hoping for that hotfix soon.
RTA: Sadly I can't put all my GOG Games onto just one spindle. I have two USB3 2Tb externals and some other older installs on a 1Tb internal. To put that little lot on just one drive would require me getting a 6 or 8Tb external and I'd rather not do that just to get around a problem with Galaxy. I'd prefer them to make Galaxy a little more sensible and a little less of a resource hog.
OK, I think I understand now. A ton of games on external (hence: unplugged) drives is a bit of a problem. Does disabling auto-updates before doing scan&import help? Does Galaxy launch on auto-start... possibly before the drives are usable?

BKGaming: The thumbnails/icons not displaying also needs to be investigated. This appears to have become a lot more common with the last few updates. I've noticed a few reports of this issue now via myself, mantis, and reddit.
We are looking at that actually, but it's a bit of a layered problem. We fix one thing and then another pops up. We'll pin it down eventually :)

Bellshazar: Can anyone help me with gog galaxy being unable to update. I've tried uninstalling every last little bit of gog off my hardrive and and downloading the newest version but every time I start gog galaxy I get the same error message
"There was a problem with updating the application. You can always download the latest version from:" which is what I just did.
I can still log in, I can still play and buy games, but every time I start gog it tries to update and fails. Sometimes I'm still logged in but usually not (and then I have to re-authenticate etc).
Could you post a bug report on http://mantis.gog.com/ attaching your logs from C:\ProgramData\GOG.com\Galaxy\Logs ? We'll take a look :)

Arthmoor: Just dropped in to add that the same issue happened with mine but it seems you guys are already on it. Hoping for that hotfix soon.
Working on it :) Should be today.

Liosan