It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Hi,

welcome to the official GOG Galaxy forum thread. Please read the below info first:

== GOG GALAXY FEATURES IN GAMES ==

List of games supporting various GOG Galaxy features:
Achievements: https://www.gog.com/games?feature=achievements&sort=bestselling&page=1
Cloud Saves: https://www.gog.com/games?feature=cloud_saves&sort=bestselling&page=1
Overlay: https://www.gog.com/games?feature=overlay&sort=bestselling&page=1

== BUG REPORTING ==

Please use: http://mantis.gog.com and include
1. steps to reproduce the bug (if possible)
2. screenshot or movie showing the bug (if possible)
3. Galaxy Client logs (location described on mantis report page)

== FEATURE SUGGESTIONS ==

Please use: http://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy. For feature suggestions and votes on them please try do explain how Galaxy and its users will really benefit from it.

== IMPORT ALREADY INSTALLED GAMES TO GALAXY ==

1. For GOG games installed using installers from the last few months (so called Galaxy-compatible installers)
Click the Galaxy logo button on top of the sidebar and select "scan and import folders" - it will find all compatible games within that folder and add them to the Client.

2. For remaining GOG game INSTALLATIONS
Find the game in the Library (click on the image of the game), then click the More button and select "Manage Installation" -> "Import folder" and point the folder selector into the folder where that game is installed.

== KNOWN ISSUES ==
- Galaxy cannot be launched by other users on the same computer

== CHANGELOG ==

1.2.49 (November 29, 2018)
- [Windows] Updater now requires administrator privileges to perform update of GOG Galaxy
- [Windows] Security of directories containing GOG Galaxy files has been improved
- [Windows] Updated Code Signing Certificate
- [Windows] Crash reporter has been added to Galaxy Communication Service
Bugfixes:
- Prevented several potential causes of "broken" games, where only way out was reinstalling
- [MacOS] Fixed a crash on shutdown when fatal error was shown

1.2.50 (December 13, 2018)
Changes & Improvements:
- Speed up startup time
- [MacOS] Strengthen up connection security with ClientService
Bugfixes:
- Fixed "disk access problem" when installing games, occuring mostly on fresh installation of GOG Galaxy
- Fixed a rare occurrence of a game update resulting in displaying "unknown game version"

1.2.51 (December 20, 2018)
- Improved Korean translations
- Fixed connection to notifications pusher in GOG Galaxy SDK

1.2.54 (March 14, 2019)
Changes and Improvements:
- Updated Chromium version to 71:
- Better performance
- Fixes playing Twitch videos on profiles
- Fixes playing Wistia videos
- Security fixes in the game installation process
- Security fixes in GOG Galaxy update process
- GOG Galaxy Updater should perform better under poor network conditions
Bugfixes:
- [macOS] Fixed passing multiple commandline arguments to games
- [macOS] Multiple "friend online" notifications will no longer appear when system wakes up
- Dates are now properly displayed in cloud saves conflict window

1.2.55 (April 17, 2019)
- Hotfix for unintentional opening of Facebook link after entering Forum

1.2.56 (May 06, 2019)
Bugfixes:
- [Windows] GOG Galaxy will fix the path to its internal services, if it finds it is wrong
- Updating of games' local dependencies (e.g. Dosbox) will be handled correctly
- Unexpected files in games' directories will no longer cause failure of games’ update

1.2.57 (June 12, 2019)
Changes and Improvements:
- Minor download speed optimizations
- Changes in PayPal payment flow
Bugfixes:
- Fixed rare crash occurence when reordering games' updates and installations
- GOG Galaxy will correctly reconnect to GOG services after long time of no internet connection

1.2.58 (September 13, 2019)
macOS:
- Enabled hardened runtime, making our application more secure
- Implemented Apple's notarization

1.2.59 (September 23, 2019)
Overlay:
- [Windows] Fixed crash in Overlay affecting some games (including Fallout 3 (Radeon only) and Dragon Age: Origins)
Achievements:
- [Windows] Fixed issue with achievements sometimes not being saved while playing offline

1.2.60 Beta (07 October, 2019)
General:
- Updated CEF version to 3729 (Chromium to 74)
- Security fixes
Updater:
- Will no longer download updates at startup, they will be downloaded in the background, while the application is running
- [Windows] No additional UAC prompt during update

1.2.61 Beta (October 23, 2019)
Updater:
- Fixed an issue where non-admin users would not be able to update to newer versions of GOG Galaxy

1.2.62 Beta (October 30, 2019)
Overlay:
- Fixed crashes for various games

1.2.63 (December 02, 2019)
General:
- Updated CEF version to 3729 (Chromium to 74)
- Security fixes
Updater:
- Will no longer download updates at startup, they will be downloaded in the background, while the application is running
- [Windows] No additional UAC prompt during update
Overlay [Windows]:
- Now supports games which use Vulkan API (e.g. Jupiter Hell, X4: Foundations)
- Fixes crashes for various games

1.2.64 (December 04, 2019)
- Hotfix for launching games

1.2.66 (January 23, 2020)
- Added information about GOG Galaxy 2.0 Open Beta
- Optimization related to showing download progress
- Fixed an issue where Overlay did not launch for some games that use Vulkan
- [Windows] Updated code signing certificate
- [MacOS] Crash fixes

1.2.67 (February 24, 2020)
General:
- [Windows] GOG Galaxy will now show a warning when trying to run on non-NTFS file systems
- Improved security of the application
- Updated POCO library
GOG GALAXY Update:
- Fixes for bugs in the GOG Galaxy update process
Post edited February 24, 2020 by TheTomasz
I have to be honest with you GOG folks I have been a champion and loyal customer of yours for years now but frankly this statement is outrageous. I've seen in these very forums that you have at the very least 3 staff members who work with/on Linux. Secondly as everyone above me in this thread has said if itch.io can afford to have their client work on Linux then you can. And that client works every well and is quite similar in functionality to Galaxy. There has to come a point where you guys see there are a ton of resources out there to help along development of the Galaxy platform. Have you even tried talking to the likes of Ryan C. Gordon or Ethan Lee or @RCL over at Epic or Na'TOsha Bard from Unity? Why not talk to one of the folks over at Feral Interactive or Asper Media and at the very least find out from them who you should talk to about helping you guys out with development of the platform. And QA wise ask anybody and I do mean anybody who's a dev on the linux_gaming subreddit and every one of them will tell you about how great and complete bug reports are from Linux users. Leave the QA open to them have them submit just like the rest of do and already have on the GOG mantis for Galaxy. More often than not you will even find stories about how someone will submit not only a bug report but a detailed work up on how to fix the bug. That's because that's the kind of user base most but I admit not all Linux users are. They are typically highly proficient and very technical users.

At this point I do really feel like your company is making a lot of excuses as far as Linux is concerned. There's just far too many people and open resources to continue excusing it away like you've been. I understand that you guys can't talk numbers or tell us as a community what the real costs and hurdles your company is facing. That is the very reason though why I feel like you as a company are speaking from a perspective where you may not fully be aware of all the open and free resources available to you as a company. So I ask you please someone from your Galaxy department contact one of the people I listed above. And at the very least if one of them can't help you they can at least point you in the right direction. As far as the QA goes like I said leave it up to the community put together a list of 50-100 Linux users on either here or one of the Linux sub reddit's and have them QA for you. I know I would happily do it for you because at this point in the market it's more important to me that Galaxy becomes a real competitor in the space than anything else.
skeletonbow: The marketplace has to convince GOG that increasing support for Linux is viable and highly profitable first, in concrete terms that matter to GOG.
If GOG think they are in position of marketplace convincing them about Linux efforts, then you should say Linux support here adieu. That's legacy publisher mindset which will never move anywhere, because they don't actually want to move.

Alm888: Thank you, sir ! That's the definite answer I longed to see. Now, please, could you arrange the removal of that embarassing "In progress" status in the whishlist?
+1. It should be marked as on hold. not as in progress, since there is no progress.
Post edited August 20, 2017 by shmerl
EDIT: Never mind. I just decided to completely uninstall Galaxy as it really does nothing for me at this time. I might try it again some time in the future.

(got drowned out by the Linux discussion anyway)
Post edited August 22, 2017 by QunMang
It's been a while since I do not buy games on GOG given the little consideration they have for players on GNU/Linux.

People: Do not give them your money which they will use to develop Windows features. Go to itch.io. The developer of the itch client maintains itself a GNU/Linux version.
Post edited August 20, 2017 by onizou
onizou: Go to itch.io. The developer of the itch client maintains itself a GNU/Linux version.
itch.io does look interesting but can you name a game that have linux version there and not at gog?
i haven't found any with quick search, though i might have missed it...

also itch.io is'n really an alternative to gog - it's more like app-store for indy game developers
i.e. very little quality control if any...
Post edited August 20, 2017 by pyatak
pyatak: itch.io does look interesting but can you name a game that have linux version there and not at gog?
i haven't found any with quick search, though i might have missed it...
A simple search on their site allows you to find that. Here is the list of games in GNU/Linux version on their platform. Most are not on GOG:
https://itch.io/games/top-rated/downloadable/platform-linux
Post edited August 20, 2017 by onizou
onizou: Most are not on GOG:
i mean game that have windows version on gog but not linux version.

btw, some (many) games on itch.io claim linux support by providing html5 or other crossplatform game engine version without actual linux binary...
pyatak: i mean game that have windows version on gog but not linux version.
In this case, you can search in this list: Games that have native linux ports...elsewhere
I bought Sokobond on itch.io. Its GNU/Linux version is not on GOG.

pyatak: btw, some (many) games on itch.io claim linux support by providing html5 or other crossplatform game engine version without actual linux binary...
That's why the search link I gave you previously lists only downloadable games. It therefore excludes those running in the browser.
onizou: I bought Sokobond on itch.io. Its GNU/Linux version is not on GOG.
now that is interesting, thanks!
i was waiting for linux sokobond on gog...

pyatak: btw, some (many) games on itch.io claim linux support by providing html5 or other crossplatform game engine version without actual linux binary...
onizou: That's why the search link I gave you previously lists only downloadable games. It therefore excludes those running in the browser.
no it's not unfortunately.
the first game i opened from this list was Grave and it's exactly the case i described - html5 and gamemaker without real linux support.
but thanks anyway...
Post edited August 20, 2017 by pyatak
So can we run Galaxy in Wine? I cannot see how that would work for anything but Wine installed games :-S and possibly not even that.
shmerl: If GOG think they are in position of marketplace convincing them about Linux efforts, then you should say Linux support here adieu. That's legacy publisher mindset which will never move anywhere, because they don't actually want to move.

+1. It should be marked as on hold. not as in progress, since there is no progress.
You act as if Linux users make up 50% of the gaming landscape. That's just not true in any way shape or form however. We are enthusiastic about Linux because it does great things for us and we appreciate and prefer the platform as a result and many of us would like ultimately to have all or as many of our games available on Linux and preferably full featured, but lets not delude ourselves into thinking that we make up any more than a fraction of 1% of GOG's userbase, or that our power has any major effect on their financial well being at the current point in time.

GOG is not "Linux unfriendly" nor "Linux hostile" as some people are trying to make them out to be. They are competing in an incredibly competitive video game distributor marketplace. Every distributor is trying to carve out its own place in the market, and to both stay in business and grow, and they've not all been successful in doing so. GOG is one of the ones that has been successful, because they've spent their resources on trying to grow their business by spending their resources carefully on the things that bring them the biggest bang for the buck.

If they spend $300,000 this year on development and it is Windows centric features/functionality, etc. that they focus on, that is going to help them expand their business to 99%+ of their existing user base. If they devote those resources to Linux development instead, they would be doing so for less than 1% (assumed) of their market, and not everyone on Linux even wants or cares about Galaxy either, making the actual target Linux audience even smaller.

This isn't a case of GOG being anti-Linux or Linux non-friendly. It's a case of Linux users being anti-GOG, and GOG non-friendly if they don't get what they want when they want it, at the detriment to what is better to GOG's business overall. And I say this as unbiased as possible, as a Linux enthusiast who in the perfect world wants to do all of my gaming in Linux on GOG, with Galaxy.

I do agree that the Linux entry on the Wishlist should be re-flagged as "future consideration" than "in progress" if they are not currently doing any work on it, just to be transparent and clear, since they've already indicated that to us here. I just do not think that this means they are Linux hostile nor that people should treat them as such.

As an aside, why do so many people have to cop attitudes like "You're either with us or you're with the terrorists!" or "You're either my total complete 100% friend and do everything I want when I want it, or you are my 100% enemy even if you do 50/75/90% of what I want." in the GOG forums? It appears toxic, hostile, and selfish IMHO when people in these threads think and communicate like that.

I want Galaxy for Linux too, and I want it yesterday. 100 times more than that however, I want something that isn't for me - I want GOG's business to succeed and thrive in the marketplace so that they can bring even more DRM-free games to the platform in the future, by focusing and concentrating on their core business and growing it in the ways that bring them the biggest return on investment for resources expended, as that is the best way they can succeed in this cut throat industry. If they do this, they will grow as a company to the point where they will have 2/3/5 or more times the number of employees, including developers, and they can tackle more projects to grow their business simultaneously rather than putting all of their eggs in one basket at a given time. Hopefully they succeed enough in the rest of 2017 and 2018 that they can grow themselves out to afford to dedicate at least one full time person to Linux development if not a few people. That's what I'd like to see.

In the mean time, while I'm not thrilled that we have a sub-par experience on Linux, I'm grateful to GOG for what they have given us so far on both Windows and Linux, and I think they'll continue to improve over time if we are patient enough. We can rib them from time to time about things, but it should be a brotherly love type of thing rather than the "Do what I want when I want even if your business suffers, or you're the evil enemy and I'll never speak to you again." type of thought process.

I'm more disappointed at the mindset of the GOG forum community concerning Linux than I am at GOG's business decisions regarding Linux support. There are better ways to win someone's favour than by Internet lynch mob mentality.
Themken: So can we run Galaxy in Wine?
it worked well enough to checkout Gwent the last time I tried.
Didn't really try much else though ...
skeletonbow: snip
Yet consumers are still expected to pay the same price for a game that may be missing features or will get slower patches, etc. compared to their Windows/Mac counterpart. If you pay for a product you expect to receive the same level of support and service as any other customer on GOG and GOG has not made it clear at all that Linux users are not getting that same level of treatment. Game pages are marked with cloud saves, achievements, etc. with no mention that these features are not available on Linux.

Instead they signified a client for Linux was "coming soon" and marked the Linux wish as "in progress" making people believe a Linux client was being worked on. Now they admit that was never the case.

I'm sorry, but defending GOG on this is not the position to be in. GOG could have solved this by being forth coming and communicating with their consumer base which did not happen for nearly 2 years that Linux users were lead to believe Galaxy on Linux was coming. GOG failing to communicate is something they do all the time.

GOG is ultimately responsible for this backlash...
skeletonbow: You act as if Linux users make up 50% of the gaming landscape.
No, simply pointing out, that those who are interested in Linux market growing can't wait for it to grow, but need to put resources behind it. Legacy publishers don't care, they are in MS pocket already, thus their whole mentality.

skeletonbow: GOG is not "Linux unfriendly" nor "Linux hostile" as some people are trying to make them out to be.
I never said GOG are Linux hostile, that's just silly. But there is a difference between active and passive involvement. GOG were more active in the past (since the time they started supporting Linux). Now they are passive, if they are letting whole releases to be skipped here.
Post edited August 21, 2017 by shmerl
pyatak: no it's not unfortunately.
the first game i opened from this list was Grave and it's exactly the case i described - html5 and gamemaker without real linux support.
but thanks anyway...
Oh, you're right. I will test its installation via the itch client.