* Please do not post in this thread if you are not part of the game! Thanks! *
The city of Men-Nefer sits like a glorious jewel on the bright ribbon of the life-giving Nile. Regular patrols in the Temple District keep the crime levels down, or at least confined to the slums, and the tiled festival square at the heart of the city regularly hosts dancers and musicians and parties in honour of the glorious gods. The floodplain farms bring figs and grain and barley for beer; fish are plentiful in the river...
Then, one night, tragedy struck...
One night, in the Temple of Ra, the bats and the lizards heard a gagging sound, several thumps and grunts, the flapping of curtains, and then a splash... Then absolute stillness, and the leaking of crimson into the clear water...
The next morning, worshippers were horrified to discover the limp body of Inyotefoker, the Pharaoh's must trusted Vizier and Chief Overseer, floating face down in the pool. He had been beaten, sliced to ribbons; his guts removed... Inside his swollen and broken mouth was a small disk of copper with the strange, elongated head of the Seth Beast etched upon the surface. Even covered in blood, the design was unmistakeable. An attendant screamed what you were all thinking:
“The Soldiers of Seth are back! Ra protect us all!”
The word spread as fast as a flood, and within minutes the entire city was alight with rumours.
All of you were staying overnight in the temple for your own personal devotions; the prevailing mood amongst you is that it is your duty to discover the murderers. You assemble at the Happy Hippo Senet House – all walks of life, all social classes, all ages... But not all of you are innocent...
This is a game of Forum Mafia! :D All places have been filled, and the game will begin shortly. I am NotFrenchYet and I shall be your moderator.
You will shortly receive a PM with details of your role. Here is a sample:
Hello NotFrenchYet, you are:
Inyotefoker the Vizier - TOWN VANILLA
Once famed for your ability to hold multiple facts and figures in your head at once, to coordinate the work of a dozen Overseers, and to sooth mighty Pharaoh's temper with your words, you'll be doing none of that now. That's the last time you'll ever go to the pool at night to contemplate the silence and the lilies. You weren't even due a bath...
You have no abilities.
You have 5000000 coins.
You win with Town when all anti-Town players are dead.
(stolen and adapted from those who came before...):
1. NotFrenchYet is the Moderator of this game! Feel free to contact me by the GOG forum PM system at any time!
2. All players have a vote, which they may give to any player. A vote may be withdrawn by unvoting. Once a player acquires more than 50% of the votes, that player will be lynched and the game will go to night. No amount of unvoting can prevent this.
3. A player may also vote nolynch. A majority of nolynch votes will end the day without a lynch.
4. Please remember to bold your votes and unvotes like this: Unvote JoeSapphire, vote SirPrimalform.
5. When you are dead, you are dead - stop posting. A single "bah!”-type post is permitted and encouraged. Your death notification will include a link to the underworld (i.e. the observation thread) where you may continue to speculate.
6. Don't edit your posts! This is very important! Editing a post is grounds for being modkilled.
Due to the forum software I must also ask you not to double post. This is because two consecutive posts from the same user in a short time frame will merge, creating the appearance of an edited post. The time limit after which this stops happening is 10 minutes.
Accidents happen, but repeated double-posting will anger Anubis and you'll be mod-killed and lose the game regardless. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
7. If you wish to ask me a question in game, please bold your text or PM me.
8. Do not discuss the game with anyone outside the thread, except for people specified in your role PM, and then only at such times as the PM specifies.
9. Do not quote or paraphrase too closely any PMs you receive from the mod. If you are afraid that your paraphrasing is too close, contact me and I’ll check it out. Directly quoting your PM or paraphrasing too closely will anger Anubis and is grounds for modkill.
10. All players should post at least once every 48 hours. If you expect to be away for more than 48 hours, please let me know either through PM or in the game thread. Failure to do this will result in me sending you a prod via PM and in thread.
11. If you can no longer participate in the game (boo!), let me know and I will sigh and try to find a replacement.
12. All players in the winning team win, assuming any other win conditions have been satisfied. Anyone who is subbed out or modkilled loses.
13. All roles were random(.org)ly assigned.
14. You may not post in the game thread during night phases.
15. Cryptoclaiming is forbidden.
16. Betting amongst players is forbidden.
17. Deadlines will be set each day, # of living players + 7 days. Deadlines can be extended by a further 5 days if a majority vote to this effect is counted.
18. Don't take it personally! Mafia is a game which may force the nicest person to be nasty, and the most honest person to lie and twist the truth. Therefore do not make personal comments about your fellow players. Any player making an overt and maliciously personal attack on another player is liable to be modkilled for bringing the game into disrepute. Be emotive and enraged, but respect one another.
Walking like Egyptians:
10. TwilightBard (replacing Ubivis)
11. Damnation (replacing N0x0ss)
0. NotFrenchYet - Inyotefoker the Vizier - TOWN VANILLA - floating candle with added entrails, Night 0.
4. Vitek - Nebetnehat the Dancer: TOWN VANILLA - washing his hair at the bottom of the river, Day 2.
9. nmillar - Ahset the Graverobber: MAFIA FLAVOUR THIEF - toilet cleaning gone horribly wrong, Day 3.
5, Krypsyn - Kheruef the Construction Foreman : TOWN WATCHER - became the first ever Slinky, Night 3.
14. flubbucket (replacing pazzer) - Amunra the Grandmother: MAFIA 2-SHOT ROLEBLOCKER / GODFATHER - crushed by the weight of serious art, Day 4.
8. Red_Baron (replacing Damuna) - Horwedja the Physician: TOWN DOCTOR - twisted fire-starter, Night 4.
13. A_Future_Pilot - Menkheperre the Nobleman: TOWN VANILLA - wined and died, Day 5.
7. Robbeasy - Sotepenre theTrainee Scribe: TOWN HIDER (1 shot) - cradled to the grave, Day 6.
1. JoeSapphire - Meryetamun the Fence: TOWN INVENTOR - WHHHOOOOOMMMMPPPPHHHH, Night 6.
2. Rodzaju - Henutmire the Apothecary: MAFIA POISONER - trimmed down to size, Day 7.
You may have noticed you all have some coins. That's because there is an item mechanic in this game. During the day phase, you may be offered an item for sale. If you have enough coins, you will automatically purchase the item. The entire transaction will be announced to you regardless of success in a PM from the mod. You do not have to do anything.
An item bestows an ability, although this ability may have a percentage chance of working. If you receive an item, you will be told exactly how it works in a PM from the mod. You may not exchange or trade items in the thread, and you may not loan each other coins.
Remember: item transfers happen during the day; item usage happens at night.