It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

out of 7 completed games, I've been scum 5 times!!!!!
Item Exchanges Day 2

Telika buys Pouch of Dried Figs
At one point during the discussion, you shove your hands into your pockets. There's something in there. Surprised, but covering it well, you find a moment to slip the piece of papyrus out of your pocket and read it beneath the table. “Something to take that taste out of your mouth for only 10 coins – leave the money at the bar”. That... sounds handy.

You mutter an excuse and head over to the bar top, and slide your last remaining coins behind a stack of tea glasses. You return to the discussion, give it an hour, then sidle back to the bar. Sure enough, your coins have been replaced by a small paper packet, covered in protective hieroglyphs. Some of them are unfamiliar to you, but you recognise multiple glyphs of a scorpion combined with goddess, which could only mean Hedetet...

You flip open the packet and eat two figs there and then. Mmm, sweet, chewy goodness...

* You have purchased “Packet of Dried Figs” *

You're feeling a lot better...

Joe sells Pouch of Dried Figs to Telika
What Telika said about eating something funny sets all the alarm bells ringing in your head. Quickly, as soon as a lull appears in the debate, you excuse yourself and go out to the terrace over the river. There you write a quick note (“Something to take that taste out of your mouth for only 10 coins – leave the money at the bar”), double back to the bar to ask the landlady if you can do the same thing as last time. She agrees, though she raises her eyebrow, and you hurry back to the table. The argument has restarted with ferocity, and you circle the table and casually slip the piece of papyrus into Telika's pocket.

Presently Telika falls silent, hunched over the table, then leaves the discussion. You wait, and sure enough Telika returns a short while later, hands in rather empty pockets.

You pick up the tray of empty glasses and return to the bar, to find (hoorah!) a small pouch of coins. You replace them with the packet of figs and return with a spring in your sandals.

* You have successfully sold Pouch of Dried Figs to Telika. *

Current items for sale:
@ ornate rusty copper armour – 10 coins - bulletproof (50% success) (passive & always active)
@ smoke capsule – 30 coins – 1-shot roleblock
@ ornate wax tablet & stylus - 10 coins- 1-shot courier 
Night 2 flavour here!
@NFY Thanks for running an interesting game. If possible could you explain your reasoning for choosing the roles you did, how it was balanced and if anything unexpected happened.
Robbeasy's role makes me cry
Oh, also :

Yeah, thepoison thing did seem weirdly balanced, given the flavor hint, but that wasn't a weirdness I had attributed to that specific game, as the wikipage gives an exemple of straightforward "hello you have been poisoned" message.

and

The most horribly maddeningly irritating points must have been a) sirprimalform being harassed by me FOR having cured me b) pazzer/flubbucket having been accused because it was totally scientifically proven that IF spf is scum THEN pazzer is too. I am fantastically stranglable.

and

Joe's style made me laugh all the game through, and has been a strong motivation to stay active.

and

something else I forgot because phone interruption. Anyway, yeah, that game must have been a lot of work. What if Joe had died on game 1 ? All the coins mechanism would have been there for nothing ?
pazzer: @NFY Thanks for running an interesting game. If possible could you explain your reasoning for choosing the roles you did, how it was balanced and if anything unexpected happened.
Good question... I think the main attraction was that I wanted to try an items = abilities mechanic, after browsing through the Wiki and coming across Inventor and Fisherman roles. This then necessitated the coin system to make sure that power-roles wouldn't get overloaded with powerful items. After that the Flavour Thief was a natural balancing choice, involving almost role-cop-like detail and the possibility of actually stealing an ability from someone (and coins, as Damnation discovered!).

In parallel I liked the idea of a poisoner and thought that since I seemed to be accumulating a confusing game anyway, why not give the mafia the opportunity to spread some confusion of their own. I think I wanted to encourage a game that had a ridiculous amount of possibilities, in order to try and get people to revert post analysis to catch scum rather than flavour. I don't think I succeeded, but never mind. :)

bazilisek very kindly took a lot of time to work through the setup with me - faced with the amount of possibilities for ability switching we decided to treat items as random acts of 'god' and just look at the standard roles. In that respect the balancing was still tricky, but seemed to hold.
Mafia: almost-role-cop+thief, poisoner, 2x roleblock/godfather.
Town: doctor, cop, poisondoc, watcher, hider (+Inventor, +Fisherman)

What I REALLY wanted was for Damnation to investigate flubbazzer, and for Telika to find the medallion...

@Telika: if Joe had died, I might have cried...

I'm compiling the night flavour files in between errands, incidentally, so there will be updates throughout the day.
Telika: What if Joe had died on game 1 ? All the coins mechanism would have been there for nothing ?
That's a large part of why I assumed that the items came from the mod.......
Oh, and I'm sad I didn't get to use the ornate wax tablet that Joe sold me the previous night. I intended to use it with Joe if Damnation had declared Rod toown, turning the suspicions against me and Joe (I'd have used it to plan one of us sacrificing himself while the other killed Damn to reveal his scumminess). But Joe died, game ended, and Damn was honest. Still, I liked that object, allowing with more elaborate, less straightforward uses than vigilantism, protection, etc. It's a shame it just stayed there...
Telika: What if Joe had died on game 1 ? All the coins mechanism would have been there for nothing ?
Rodzaju: That's a large part of why I assumed that the items came from the mod.......
Yeah, I was wondering if TOWN INVENTOR CAPITAL LETTERS CAPITAL LETTERS was a player or an NPC moderator-driven entity. The last night; I started mapping out possibilities of Joe being scum "fence" and inventor being just a PM thing he usurped, in a three-points market system (fisherman and inventor and shop owner). Lots of arrows on paper (hm, I like arrows on paper :blushes:). But it really didn't add up, so, I was back to townie Joe by the morning.
Post edited February 23, 2013 by Telika
Forum ate my post. Wanted to ask two things to NFY.

1) Was the egyptology thing just a random background quickly researched for the occasion, or something already there (studies, long term hobby) that you decided to use for a mafia game ?

2) What's with Joe and SPF having the same name in just different versions ? This alone would have made me vig SPF...
So I was totally wrong about Robbeasy (which I can't still comprehend) and about AFP (which I cancomprehend easily)and I was right about nmillar and about Rodzaju, who tried to push nmillar as vanilla town on day 1 and I got so much flak for pointing it out.
Meh, this wasn't my game.

Telika: 2) What's with Joe and SPF having the same name in just different versions ? This alone would have made me vig SPF...
NFYs comment about it in obesrvation thread: "@SPF #2327: none of the above. Total fluke. "
Telika: Oh, also :

Yeah, thepoison thing did seem weirdly balanced, given the flavor hint, but that wasn't a weirdness I had attributed to that specific game, as the wikipage gives an exemple of straightforward "hello you have been poisoned" message.
Because of this I even said that I think you are lying about poisioning because I didn't believe you would get notified, thus rendering the mafia poison kills useless.

Telika: Anyway, yeah, that game must have been a lot of work. What if Joe had died on game 1 ? All the coins mechanism would have been there for nothing ?
This is just risk of each more complicated game mechanism. There is always the chance that it will get ruined first night and you will either get vanilla game instead or ti will go astray. Mod just has to risk it.
Post edited February 23, 2013 by Vitek
Rodzaju: As I see it, scum lie about pm’s to & from the mod all the time (at least every time they claim) so I didn’t see anything wrong with this.
I see big distinction between lying about things and blaming your lies on a mod mistake. The second isn't modkill material or anything, but it's still definitely not cool in my eyes.

Telika: SIRPRIMALFORM SIRPRIMALFORM SIRPRIMALFORM my apologies

i had acquired a pretty terrifying tool of vigilantism last night, and if the game hadn't ended, i'd have used it directly tonight on you or damnation.
:P

Damnation I can sort of understand as it would have cleared 3 townies for sure, but me? >.>
Since we are offering our apologies, allow me to apologize to NFY about the ME3 jab. But really, why the shared dreams?
Telika: Oh, also :

Vitek: Because of this I even said that I think you are lying about poisioning because I ddin't believe, you would get notified, thus rendering the mafia poison kills useless.
Yeah, I was suspicious of it being a mafia trap but decided to chance it and visit him anyway.
Rodzaju: As I see it, scum lie about pm’s to & from the mod all the time (at least every time they claim) so I didn’t see anything wrong with this.
SirPrimalform: I see big distinction between lying about things and blaming your lies on a mod mistake. The second isn't modkill material or anything, but it's still definitely not cool in my eyes.
What was my alternative at that point.
Admit that I've been caught lying & give up the game?

So if I had role-copped you & accidentally let slip that I knew who you were & then got interrogated, you wouldn't want me to claim hat the mod had accidentally sent me your role pm instead of my own?

When I am scum, I am unscrupulous.
Isn't that the point?
Post edited February 23, 2013 by Rodzaju