It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

AlKim: Fair enough, can't really argue with any of that.
They may be more expensive where you are, but around here they're about the same price as a normal pair of shoes. And some folks will spend obscene amounts of money on running shoes.
hedwards:
blotunga: I haven't injured myself at training. I think after 6 years I train pretty well and with correct form :). I was at a concert and jumped up and down a lot. And my knee had problems before (I've turned it round at basketball about 10 years ago and it was operated again around 3 yrs ago). And now it still hurts a bit when I extend it.
Ah, sounds like you need to get yourself to a physical therapist. Some body weight squats, heal raises and stretches would likely do the trick. But, I would have no clue as to what the precise formulation would be.
Post edited August 27, 2013 by hedwards
Stationary bikes are good imho, I like to use them whenever I'm traveling and the hotel has some. I think you can build pretty good stamina by using them for 20-60minutes.
hedwards: Ah, sounds like you need to get yourself to a physical therapist. Some body weight squats, heal raises and stretches would likely do the trick. But, I would have no clue as to what the precise formulation would be.
It's getting better though. Today I could squat with the empty barbell and I could do my RDLs and a bit of other light training. So it's improving but still there probably is a small inflammation. The annoying thing was that the doctor forbade me any kind of legwork for the last 3 weeks. Today was the first time I've tried.
Post edited August 27, 2013 by blotunga
blotunga: It's getting better though. Today I could squat with the empty barbell and I could do my RDLs and a bit of other light training. So it's improving but still there probably is a small inflammation. The annoying thing was that the doctor forbade me any kind of legwork for the last 3 weeks. Today was the first time I've tried.
That's good. But, if you're having these sorts of problems, I'd strongly recommend ditching the weights and just do bodyweight squats when you get approval to do squats.

And hold off at least long enough to ensure you've got full range of motion. One of the downsides of barbell squats is that they don't permit the full range of motion. Proper squats should result in your but hitting your calves. Which is impossible to do with a heavy barbell. I can't do those yet, but I'm working on it.

Seeing all those elderly people in China capable of squatting down like that for long periods of time with no apparent discomfort made me realize just how maladapted I am.
whoa, fitness thread.

wish i had the time and energy to start exercising again.

got to run that marathon eventually.
hedwards: That's good. But, if you're having these sorts of problems, I'd strongly recommend ditching the weights and just do bodyweight squats when you get approval to do squats.

And hold off at least long enough to ensure you've got full range of motion. One of the downsides of barbell squats is that they don't permit the full range of motion. Proper squats should result in your but hitting your calves. Which is impossible to do with a heavy barbell. I can't do those yet, but I'm working on it.

Seeing all those elderly people in China capable of squatting down like that for long periods of time with no apparent discomfort made me realize just how maladapted I am.
I agree, squats have to be done until you hit your calves, but not everybody has the mobility for it. Luckily I do :).
I can do the full range, but I feel a slight discomfort when straightening the leg. Oddly enough not anymore when squatting but when I get up from the chair after a few hours in the office :D.
I usually don't train with too heavy weights, I'm not trying to get bulky, I usually try to loose my belly :D. So I do mid-low weight and high rep exercises. Also I prefer front barbell squats and hack squats more than regular ones. Though I do both or all three. The stability is much better with the former ones.
blotunga: I'm not trying to get bulky, I usually try to loose my belly :D.
Aren't we all, if I could get rid of that what would be the point of exercising at all.
blotunga: I usually don't train with too heavy weights, I'm not trying to get bulky, I usually try to loose my belly :D.
That's a good reason to ditch the weights. It's easy to build muscle with little or no incentive to lose the fat. I used to be like 235 back when I was serious about lifting weights. And probably 30-40 pounds of that was fat. If not more.

But with calisthenics, there's a psychological aspect about it. Any excess poundage you have, is more work you have to do during work outs.
AlKim: By the by, have you tried Vibram FiveFingers? I know that they look silly and cost a small fortune, but I really like running in them, and they're nice during trail riding as well (where clipless pedals might be too dangerous). It takes a good time to get accustomed to them, but I wouldn't trade them for any other running shoes.
A few of the guys at work swear by them, but they run exclusively on tarmac. As I do most of my running off-road, the Vibram FiveFingers aren't really appropriate.

AlKim: EDIT: And just to compare times, my normal run is 4.25 kilometres (about 2.65 mi). I compensate for the short distance by tearing arsehole the whole way, rarely doing it in over 20 minutes in the winter and regularly clocking in eighteen and a half minutes in the summer, or under eighteen at the very best of occasions.
My fastest 5 kilometres is 23:04. Hopefully I'll be able to bring the time down as my fitness / stamina improves.

And I'm running the team event here next month: http://hellyhansenbeautyandthebeast.co.uk/ :)
AlKim: By the by, have you tried Vibram FiveFingers? I know that they look silly and cost a small fortune, but I really like running in them, and they're nice during trail riding as well (where clipless pedals might be too dangerous). It takes a good time to get accustomed to them, but I wouldn't trade them for any other running shoes.
nmillar: A few of the guys at work swear by them, but they run exclusively on tarmac. As I do most of my running off-road, the Vibram FiveFingers aren't really appropriate.
I run dirt/gravel trails in them. I don't know if that qualifies as off-road, but the FiveFingers do cope very well once you get over the fact that you can actually feel what's under your feet. Chunky stones (an inch or more in diameter, I guess) do slow you down rather a lot though, so if you encounter lots of those, you're probably right in avoiding the Vibrams.
Post edited August 28, 2013 by AlKim
Just discovered this thread and think it deserves bumping. For me, after years of starting excerising and giving up after a few weeks, I'm now in my 6th months of regularly lifting weights....2 days on, 1 day off. It's now part of my weekly routine and I feel tons better for it.
Excellent. I've been enjoying strength training etc. for a while, can't do without it. Think I'll have a look at some recommended powerlifting schemes soon. Gets a bit boring sometimes, but it works relatively well and feels very good. It can be highly beneficial in a number of ways as long as more serious and lasting injuries are avoided.
Not exactly fitness-related, but I'm going to share nevertheless. Everyone who 1) hasn't got a bicycle or would want another one, 2) has no objection to owning (another) one and 3) thinks that you can either have a good or a cheap one and 4) would rather be without a bike than have a shitty one, find out when your local police has an auction. The police retrieve bikes all the time, some of them stolen, others abandoned. Many are never reunited with their owners, either because the owner never bothered to write down the serial number, or because they abandoned their bike and wouldn't want it back in the first place. The cops store these bikes (and various other things) for some time, then auction them away to make a bit of revenue and to free up space for future acquisitions.

I helped out a friend today at such an auction, and we managed to secure him a rather nice mountain bike, a couple of years old but mechanically sound and made by a reputable marque, for less than a hundred euros. We only needed to change the brake pads and the tyres, both of which are inexpensive components, easy to acquire and simple to change yourself. An absolute steal, if I may say so.

Of course there were crocks, but some of them had an absolute heart of gold as well. A friend of a friend got herself a mid-seventies (?) French bike with all the mid-seventies French madness for almost nothing at all. That one was mechanically in quite good order as far as I could tell. I'm hardly an expert, but I seriously think that it could probably pass for a vintage bike, and if she has it serviced properly, it'll probably be worth ten to fifteen times what she paid for it.

There are two similar auctions next year. See you there.

E: Okay, the ladies' bike is probably a very-late-1970's or a very-early-1980's. Vintage as fuck.
Post edited September 17, 2013 by AlKim
Just leaving this out here. Had a nice day out.
Attachments:
ruissalo.jpg (435 Kb)
Sports are to blame for me buying 14 more games than planned during GOG's Spring Insomnia sales. Missed the exact game I wanted because I went training with my colleagues and after I got home, I got caught up in the whole sales thing and ended up buying a lot more than I needed, gratuitously wasting time in the process. But I have no regrets! Could I go back in time, I wouldn't do anything differently.
So as you see, sports and fitness aren't just good for your body. They're also good for GOG's business :D