It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Glad I came across this thread because that 5 years old wishlist discussed here could do with a serious bump. The ways things have been going for the past few months and multiple pushes such as win this and that but only through 'optional' Galaxy, not grantee that optional is till in Gog's vocabulary.

Voted.

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy/be_optional_till_the_end_of_days
Newbie: Ooooh, he got told!
Mate, don't comment on very old topics unless you have something important and additional to add to the discussion. It's called necroing a thread, and it isn't welcomed in forums..

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/necro
they have dun it at least twice nao
high rated
Flyingfluffypiglet: Glad I came across this thread because that 5 years old wishlist discussed here could do with a serious bump. The ways things have been going for the past few months and multiple pushes such as win this and that but only through 'optional' Galaxy, not grantee that optional is till in Gog's vocabulary.

Voted.

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/galaxy/be_optional_till_the_end_of_days
I won't be so sure about this. Why even trying to convince people to use it if they were in fact planning to force it anyway? If they would want that they simply would do taht. I won't go for that tinfoil hat.
Post edited August 13, 2020 by MarkoH01
MarkoH01: I won't be so sure about this. Why even trying to convince people to use it if they were in fact planning to force it anyway? If they would want that they simply would do taht. I won't go for that tinfoil hat.
Yes, No, Maybe.

It could be a case of they will do everything they can to convince people to use Galaxy on their own motivation, making for less upset people when they do maybe eventually force it, which is still a possibility, for whatever reason, so I wouldn't say current behavior is any guarantee of safety.

And for some, trust is a little bit thin at the moment, and they see the slippery slope.
Some don't even think GOG will remain DRM-Free or only DRM-Free.
Not only do GOG gotta try to keep the punters happy, they gotta keep the providers happy too.
And at the end of the day it will no doubt be about survival, and all bets could be off ... eventually ... especially if the majority here don't care about DRM-Free and don't mind Galaxy.
So what was unthinkable years ago, might not be quite so now.
high rated
Fairfox: they have dun it at least twice nao
how come you always type like that? lol
high rated
MarkoH01: I won't be so sure about this. Why even trying to convince people to use it if they were in fact planning to force it anyway? If they would want that they simply would do taht. I won't go for that tinfoil hat.
Timboli: Yes, No, Maybe.

It could be a case of they will do everything they can to convince people to use Galaxy on their own motivation, making for less upset people when they do maybe eventually force it, which is still a possibility, for whatever reason, so I wouldn't say current behavior is any guarantee of safety.

And for some, trust is a little bit thin at the moment, and they see the slippery slope.
Some don't even think GOG will remain DRM-Free or only DRM-Free.
Not only do GOG gotta try to keep the punters happy, they gotta keep the providers happy too.
And at the end of the day it will no doubt be about survival, and all bets could be off ... eventually ... especially if the majority here don't care about DRM-Free and don't mind Galaxy.
So what was unthinkable years ago, might not be quite so now.
Might be but then again I am wondering what difference it would make to use Steam instead of GOG or in other words, why should I even bother to buy on GOG (delayed updates, abandoned games, not so many games, mostly more expensive, not so many features, client not so fast and not so good, not every game has achievements ...) instead of elsewhere. I still think that GOG is very well aware that DRM-free is still THE selling point because they simply cannot compete with the big ones.
MarkoH01: I still think that GOG is very well aware that DRM-free is still THE selling point because they simply cannot compete with the big ones.
I agree, but I guess it depends on how desperate GOG get.

And I don't attribute bad motivations or behavior to GOG, just maybe misguided decisions due to pressure.
Most of us who love GOG want them to survive, but for some it will be a matter of, at what cost.
Ultimately for me, if worst comes to worst, then I would be lucky in that scenario, if I still had access to my GOG library, and if that was still getting some updates, even better. I wouldn't be happy and certainly not pleased, but the most important aspect of my financial investment in GOG would still be present.

And of course, with owning so many games now, it would be tempered with that aspect as well, certainly as I am no youngster, and have plenty in my possession to keep playing until I expire.
MarkoH01: I still think that GOG is very well aware that DRM-free is still THE selling point because they simply cannot compete with the big ones.
Timboli: I agree, but I guess it depends on how desperate GOG get.
Well, I predict that the moment GOG drops DRM-free, they are basically dead ... I wonder if they really could be so desperate to commit suicide.
Timboli above did put across essential points as to mainly why would this tinfoil hat scenario as you put it may eventually come to be enacted. While of course not a mind reader and certainly not in the know of what has been/is being decided 'up top', like for other things, I tend to pay attention at notice signs cropping up which could very well be be telltales indications.

While we can only wait and see all the while hoping for the best, it still doesn't hurt to let Gog know certain things, such as this one the thread is pertaining to for example, the wish for Galaxy to remain optional. Whether they'll pay attention to that or not, only the future will tell but they should pay attention to a non negligible number of Goggers' reactions to recent competitions requiring that optional software.

Again like Timboli, if push does come to shove, I have more than enough to keep me going most likely until my expiration date, but that doesn't mean I don't give a rat's behind about other Goggers, especially those who made Gog what it has now become.
Flyingfluffypiglet: Timboli above did put across essential points as to mainly why would this tinfoil hat scenario as you put it may eventually come to be enacted. While of course not a mind reader and certainly not in the know of what has been/is being decided 'up top', like for other things, I tend to pay attention at notice signs cropping up which could very well be be telltales indications.

While we can only wait and see all the while hoping for the best, it still doesn't hurt to let Gog know certain things, such as this one the thread is pertaining to for example, the wish for Galaxy to remain optional. Whether they'll pay attention to that or not, only the future will tell but they should pay attention to a non negligible number of Goggers' reactions to recent competitions requiring that optional software.

Again like Timboli, if push does come to shove, I have more than enough to keep me going most likely until my expiration date, but that doesn't mean I don't give a rat's behind about other Goggers, especially those who made Gog what it has now become.
I also replied to what Timboli said and posted why I think that this still is a highly unlikely scenario.
Truth007: how come you always type like that? lol
passed on from generation to generation, like teh fondas an' their actin'
MarkoH01: Well, I predict that the moment GOG drops DRM-free, they are basically dead ... I wonder if they really could be so desperate to commit suicide.
Well it would be a last desperate attempt just before Death's Door, and like all attempts to avoid inevitable death, doomed to failure. So you can call it suicide if you like, but they would already be dying at that point and grasping at straws.

Or they may just be smart and accept the inevitable, but be seen to be doing something to please investors etc, even though they realize it is pointless.

For me, it would be a bit like having chemotherapy for cancer. Sure, you may gain some extra time, but what is your life like meanwhile. Talking serious situation here, not early intervention chemo.
Newbie: Ooooh, he got told!
Braggadar: Mate, don't comment on very old topics unless you have something important and additional to add to the discussion. It's called necroing a thread, and it isn't welcomed in forums..

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/necro
Well I wanted to express my comment, considering this *is* a public forum after all....besides, someone was glad I necro'd it from the graves....heeeheeeheee.....
Who, me?
Timboli: I agree, but I guess it depends on how desperate GOG get.
MarkoH01: Well, I predict that the moment GOG drops DRM-free, they are basically dead ... I wonder if they really could be so desperate to commit suicide.
Well if they did that and enforced the use of the clients, I'd definitely will no longer be here anymore and either start spending elswhere or take a ship and set sail for the open seas....
Post edited September 26, 2020 by Newbie