It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Yepoleb: This is unfortunately the same argument I've refuted multiple times before. MaGog tracks the prices without the Fair Price Package wallet credit, which I think is a stupid thing to do that causes a lot of confusion.
Cavalary: That is exactly the right thing to do and causes no confusion. You first need to pay the higher price to get that game, that's a given. And the cut of that higher price also most likely goes to the publisher, which is the unfair part. That you may later use the difference for another game, if you purchase it within a year and using the same currency is a different thing. If you buy few games and a year may pass between them or tend to switch currencies if the exchange rates vary or depending on payment method, the FPP may expire, or you may feel you're forced to buy something you otherwise wouldn't to use it. But regardless of all of this, you do need to pay the higher price first, that's a given. The FPP absolutely must NOT be factored into the game's listed price.
You're not wrong, but I think that's just nitpicking. People who only buy a game every few years are definitely not the target demographic of GOG DB and probably don't mind paying a few dollars more just that one time. I have no interest in supporting this pointless fight against publisher injustice when there are a ton of more interesting things to do that actually contribute something to the gaming environment.
Cavalary: That is exactly the right thing to do and causes no confusion. You first need to pay the higher price to get that game, that's a given. And the cut of that higher price also most likely goes to the publisher, which is the unfair part. That you may later use the difference for another game, if you purchase it within a year and using the same currency is a different thing. If you buy few games and a year may pass between them or tend to switch currencies if the exchange rates vary or depending on payment method, the FPP may expire, or you may feel you're forced to buy something you otherwise wouldn't to use it. But regardless of all of this, you do need to pay the higher price first, that's a given. The FPP absolutely must NOT be factored into the game's listed price.
Yepoleb: You're not wrong, but I think that's just nitpicking. People who only buy a game every few years are definitely not the target demographic of GOG DB and probably don't mind paying a few dollars more just that one time. I have no interest in supporting this pointless fight against publisher injustice when there are a ton of more interesting things to do that actually contribute something to the gaming environment.
Alright then, I'm out of here. This thread and interest in GOGDB I mean. I have no interest in supporting something that opposes this fight and sees regional pricing as not damaging "the gaming environment" and therefore fighting it not "contributing".
Cavalary: Alright then, I'm out of here. This thread and interest in GOGDB I mean. I have no interest in supporting something that opposes this fight and sees regional pricing as not damaging "the gaming environment" and therefore fighting it not "contributing".
I'm so sorry for not investing my time into the things you deem important. Good luck finding the information I collect somewhere else.
WinterSnowfall: Based on a year's worth of product IDs tracking, I can say that the "new way of doing things" is not entirely random, and more than that it sticks to certain boundaries
Oh, I'm aware of your expedition into ID land. ;-)
(I did think it was odd, but you did find things. So, you were right.)

Perhaps the lower boundary was reserved for movies? How were those IDs? I don't recall how to check the ID of a product.
Yepoleb: ...
This is unfortunately the same argument I've refuted multiple times before. MaGog tracks the prices without the Fair Price Package wallet credit...
Good point. I didn't consider the Fair Price Package. In my defense, I completely forgot about it because I'm not used to having it apply to me :)

Still, I think it is weird that these publishers pushed for a surcharge to people who are statistically speaking poorer than americans and europeans. In my opinion these publishers have very little reason to do that, other than personal bias against a certain country. (It's very weird because they are extremely inconsistent. Nobody pays more than brazilians for Silver, yet no other game from Nordic is priced above the base price. Ditto with Frozenbyte's Shadowgronds Survivor, Ubisoft's Raving Rabids...)

In this case it's more about me wanting to judge a publisher's "bias" as a factor that might make me want to boycott them than wanting to save the money that is later returned to me. It's a factor for me, it appears to be a dealbreaker for Cavalary, but it's at least data that can help one decide.

I also like the idea of having the data to be able to know that for example a publisher is okay with giving my people a 30% discount. Makes me happier to support them (although I have a more direct benefit with the lower price than the indirect benefit of seeing my countrymates being able to enjoy more and better games).

Yepoleb: No, collecting the data and not displaying it would defeat the entire purpose of the site.
Oh I never meant it would be indefinitely. It's just that collecting the data is obviously needed before displaying it, and at least I take far longer at tweaking interfaces than at the data gathering stage. If I were in your place and I was too busy to work on the hypothetical new functionality that wouldn't mean too busy to modify the data collection.

Still, you alone decide your schedule and your goals for GogDB and it's not my place to do anything other than suggest. Whatever you decide, that's good.

Yepoleb: You can download pygogapi and hack together your own data collection script though.
Wait, what? This sounds like what I actually want after all. I don't know how I never saw it but I'm reading its thread right now. Thank you.
joppo: Still, I think it is weird that these publishers pushed for a surcharge to people who are statistically speaking poorer than americans and europeans. In my opinion these publishers have very little reason to do that, other than personal bias against a certain country. (It's very weird because they are extremely inconsistent. Nobody pays more than brazilians for Silver, yet no other game from Nordic is priced above the base price. Ditto with Frozenbyte's Shadowgronds Survivor, Ubisoft's Raving Rabids...)
Well, this is a very nasty can of worms that has been opened many times in these forums, so I'm not gonna do it again myself.

I'll simply say that, because of the reasons you point out, these particular cases may very well be simply typos/pricing errors that nobody has ever bothered to correct. You might want to open a support ticket listing these price anomalies.

PS: If you do, good luck. I did the same last year but, as far as I know, no anomalous price has been modified since then. :\
joppo: Still, I think it is weird that these publishers pushed for a surcharge to people who are statistically speaking poorer than americans and europeans
muntdefems: Well, this is a very nasty can of worms that has been opened many times in these forums, so I'm not gonna do it again myself.
Indeed, I can see how it's an issue a lot more complicated than my statement above lets on. It's the whole foundation of the regional pricing debacle after all. Delving into that discussion would totally sidetrack this thread. Not gonna do it either.
But your last sentence doesn't fill me with confidence. :-/
joppo: Still, I think it is weird that these publishers pushed for a surcharge to people who are statistically speaking poorer than americans and europeans. In my opinion these publishers have very little reason to do that, other than personal bias against a certain country.
I agree, some of these surcharges and discounts are completely arbitrary and don't make sense from an outside standpoint.

joppo: In this case it's more about me wanting to judge a publisher's "bias" as a factor that might make me want to boycott them than wanting to save the money that is later returned to me.
Okay, I can understand that reason. I just want to keep GOG DB mostly technical and especially not take it into a political direction. Price tracking was already an exception to this rule I wasn't fully comfortable with.

Yepoleb: No, collecting the data and not displaying it would defeat the entire purpose of the site.
joppo: Oh I never meant it would be indefinitely. It's just that collecting the data is obviously needed before displaying it, and at least I take far longer at tweaking interfaces than at the data gathering stage. If I were in your place and I was too busy to work on the hypothetical new functionality that wouldn't mean too busy to modify the data collection.
Collecting it is indeed not the difficult part, deciding how and what to store takes up most of the time. Displaying in this case is probably around 20% of the work.

Yepoleb: You can download pygogapi and hack together your own data collection script though.
joppo: Wait, what? This sounds like what I actually want after all. I don't know how I never saw it but I'm reading its thread right now. Thank you.
pygogapi has no thread, only the API documentation does. If you need help figuring out the code feel free to message me, it's not exactly straight forward to be honest.
Gede: Perhaps the lower boundary was reserved for movies? How were those IDs? I don't recall how to check the ID of a product.
Nope - product IDs which are linked to movies are surprising not that different compared to regular game ids - they don't even have a game_type value of their own (they simply show up as a "game").

GOG does not directly display a product's ID on their website, so it's rather hard to check it directly (it is there in the underlying site variables though, so you can just go to dev/inspection mode in any browser you are using and find it). Of course, there's also the GOG Database - one of the projects which gives you access to a multitude of data that GOG does not expose directly.

Yepoleb: Okay, I can understand that reason. I just want to keep GOG DB mostly technical and especially not take it into a political direction. Price tracking was already an exception to this rule I wasn't fully comfortable with.
And there's nothing wrong with that - I don't collect price data with my scripts and never plan to. It's just not within my scope. I guess a lot of people which are used to MaGog expect you to take the GOG Database in the same direction, but that's a preconception on their end.

Personally, I'd like to thank you for what you've done so far. Of course I hope you'll keep adding features to it in the future, but even what we have so far is a very neatly presented and useful baseline. Keep up the good work :).
Post edited April 04, 2018 by WinterSnowfall
WinterSnowfall: Personally, I'd like to thank you for what you've done so far. Of course I hope you'll keep adding features to it in the future, but even what we have so far is a very neatly presented and useful baseline. Keep up the good work :).
I'd just like to second this :)

Even just as an easy way to look up IDs it's very handy (and more user friendly than MaGog) but having the other information available there as well, as well as the documenting of all the API stuff you did, is very useful.
Would you consider making a Chrome extension that adds a GOG DB button to the official GOG pages redirecting to gogdb.org? I've been looking for something sort of like Enhanced Steam, but for GOG.
Yepoleb: Okay, I can understand that reason. I just want to keep GOG DB mostly technical and especially not take it into a political direction. Price tracking was already an exception to this rule I wasn't fully comfortable with.
And I can understand your reason too. Even if I wish there was a tool filling the void left by MaGog's retirement this doesn't mean you should align GogDB to my desires. Although I believe there are more uses for such a feature, there's no denying that that's what many will want it for.

Yepoleb: pygogapi has no thread, only the API documentation does. If you need help figuring out the code feel free to message me, it's not exactly straight forward to be honest.
Ah sorry, that's what I meant. That's the only other thread where pygogapi is mentioned and I only found it by searching that term.
I will give it a try soon and ask for your help if I need it (as I probably will). I will just try to get used to python before bothering you. Thank you.
WinterSnowfall: Personally, I'd like to thank you for what you've done so far. Of course I hope you'll keep adding features to it in the future, but even what we have so far is a very neatly presented and useful baseline. Keep up the good work :).
adaliabooks: I'd just like to second this :)

Even just as an easy way to look up IDs it's very handy (and more user friendly than MaGog) but having the other information available there as well, as well as the documenting of all the API stuff you did, is very useful.
Thank you guys for the encouragement, it's been great having you around since the beginning.

Krokzter: Would you consider making a Chrome extension that adds a GOG DB button to the official GOG pages redirecting to gogdb.org? I've been looking for something sort of like Enhanced Steam, but for GOG.
Yes, I've considered it and even started working on a prototype, but wasn't satisfied with the result. I think I'll pick it up again since work on the main database is a bit frustrating at the moment.
Post edited April 05, 2018 by Yepoleb
I check gogdb everyday and look up for record low price before buying any game here.
Thank you for the already great product.
Yepoleb: [...] there are a ton of more interesting things to do that actually contribute something to the gaming environment.
Out of curiosity, can you give a few examples?