It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

itchy01ca01: Go and try to say something gay-friendly. Trust me, you're in the same boat. Or, go against christianity. Say ANYTHING about God or Jesus. I dare you. Downvotedownvotedownvote.
dtgreene: Or trans-friendly, for that matter.
People aren't so mad about you doing that as WHERE you post it, man. I understand being an activist, but in some areas, it's just a bit out-of-place to discuss such things.
LeonardoCornejo: 8<
You're sounding suspiciously alt-right ... or is it alt-left? Which reminds me (go with the segue folks!) I discovered this curious little website on my meanderings ...

altleft.com
itchy01ca01: I really haven't. I have seen a ton of harassment on Xboxlive, Steam, even a bit here from personal PMs I have received.
Trying to say "I haven't seen it" is the cheap way out. It happens. It happens to "gay" people quite frequently, even in everyday life. I have personal experiences of gay people I know being beaten, bullied and having committed suicide due to bullying, just in the past 2 years.
So yea, it does happen. Closing your eyes and saying " I can't see anything " is delusional and defeats the purpose of intelligent conversation.
LeonardoCornejo: I am pretty much sure you are exaggerating your claims. It is true, harassment exists, but it is toward every demographic, no demographic is harassed more than others in gaming or on the internet in general. Some individuals may be harassed more often, but that is because they are considered annoying by others or because an idiot sets them as targets.

And I do know what I am talking about because I come from the depths of 4 chan and I was tempered in the vilest pits of 8 chan and similar chans. I move between many gamer communities and I don't see any single demographic being a popular target. About homosexuals being harassed in real life and bullie into suicide. It has become more and more rare as time passes. But media lies, and the current PC media will try to manipulate things as much as possible, and the death of a group considered "protected" is perfect propaganda and clickbait material.

I am not dennying it happens, I am stating the claims of gamers being natural misogynist homophobes are pure hogwash. And most of the "harassment" directed toward political correctness and censorship supporters is not even harassment at all, it is criticism, often valid, or in the worst case mockery. Trust me, Jack Thompson got a lot more harassment when he was a relevant figure than Sarkeesian ever got.

And all those claims that video game content influences the personality and mindset of players is messed up. Video games don't make you violent, video games don't make you misogynist, homophobic, racist, or any other "ist" or "phobic". People are capable of crytical thinking. I could play a video game in which you play the role of a Nazi German officer and I would still consider my Jewish firend one of my best friends. I could play Ethnical Cleansing and I would still consider black people and Jews just people. Heck, I can be against the current immigration trends in Europe and still consider Middle Easterns people, humans, and not all criminals as those who acted in Cologne and Paris.

You know what makes people racist, homophobic, misogynistic, heterophobic, and overall bigotted? Political correctness and censorship. Because it divides people in "opressed", "protected" and "minority" groups and "opressor", "bigotted", and "majority" groups. And that divide leads to resentment and negative feelings of those in one group toward those in the other group.

Trust me, playing the lowly tasteless game "Kill The Faggot" or the morbid "RapeLay" is a lot less likelly to make you a homophobe or a misogynist or even a rapist than the current PC culture in which you can't say anything or otherwise you are labelled a bigot.

And nobody chases women or homosexuasl or whatever off of games, because guess what? Gaming is a meritocracy, as long as you are a good player nobody wil care that much about your age, gender, nationality, sexual preferences, or any other trait. Most of the time gamers won't even ask. They will identify you by your nickname and your avatar, and not by your human body. Heck, gamers are one of the most welcoming communities I have ever met. And I entered online gaming during a period in which Americans felt a lot of hard feelings toward Mexicans. Guess what, most of my friends in online games were from souther USA states, and when they found out I was Mexican they did not care. They only cared about my skill at playing and being fun.
Unfortunately, unless you have experienced being a repressed minority, it is impossible to wrap your mind around it. Your arguments make sense in a logical, perfect world, but this isn't a logical, perfect world. It's messy, and people who are "different" are treated much worse than what you say they "really" are. I was not exaggerating my claims that I have a gay friend who has been beaten and abused. I was not exaggerating claims that I had a very good gay friend of mine commit suicide because of the mental and physical abuse he was going through at work. These things happen every day to minorities, and yet one white kid goes off and kills himself and its all over the news. Wake up. We live in a society where it is OK to belittle minorities but try and defend them and we get right-wing nutts who make the "Oh, it's not so bad" argument. It isn't as bad as the 80s but it ain't pretty either.

Ill give you one instance just last summer that happened while walking down the street. Guy was wearing a flamboyant book bag, pink if you must know. He was walking from the store to some location (not going to assume, maybe school). Car pulls up, yells (and I heard this from not 20 feet away) "You homo, queer, fucking faggot. Get the fuck out of your town".
Seriously. He may not have been gay. He may just have liked Hello Kitty.
Is this a crime now? Is this acceptable to you?
LeonardoCornejo: I am pretty much sure you are exaggerating your claims. It is true, harassment exists, but it is toward every demographic, no demographic is harassed more than others in gaming or on the internet in general. Some individuals may be harassed more often, but that is because they are considered annoying by others or because an idiot sets them as targets.

And I do know what I am talking about because I come from the depths of 4 chan and I was tempered in the vilest pits of 8 chan and similar chans. I move between many gamer communities and I don't see any single demographic being a popular target. About homosexuals being harassed in real life and bullie into suicide. It has become more and more rare as time passes. But media lies, and the current PC media will try to manipulate things as much as possible, and the death of a group considered "protected" is perfect propaganda and clickbait material.

I am not dennying it happens, I am stating the claims of gamers being natural misogynist homophobes are pure hogwash. And most of the "harassment" directed toward political correctness and censorship supporters is not even harassment at all, it is criticism, often valid, or in the worst case mockery. Trust me, Jack Thompson got a lot more harassment when he was a relevant figure than Sarkeesian ever got.

And all those claims that video game content influences the personality and mindset of players is messed up. Video games don't make you violent, video games don't make you misogynist, homophobic, racist, or any other "ist" or "phobic". People are capable of crytical thinking. I could play a video game in which you play the role of a Nazi German officer and I would still consider my Jewish firend one of my best friends. I could play Ethnical Cleansing and I would still consider black people and Jews just people. Heck, I can be against the current immigration trends in Europe and still consider Middle Easterns people, humans, and not all criminals as those who acted in Cologne and Paris.

You know what makes people racist, homophobic, misogynistic, heterophobic, and overall bigotted? Political correctness and censorship. Because it divides people in "opressed", "protected" and "minority" groups and "opressor", "bigotted", and "majority" groups. And that divide leads to resentment and negative feelings of those in one group toward those in the other group.

Trust me, playing the lowly tasteless game "Kill The Faggot" or the morbid "RapeLay" is a lot less likelly to make you a homophobe or a misogynist or even a rapist than the current PC culture in which you can't say anything or otherwise you are labelled a bigot.

And nobody chases women or homosexuasl or whatever off of games, because guess what? Gaming is a meritocracy, as long as you are a good player nobody wil care that much about your age, gender, nationality, sexual preferences, or any other trait. Most of the time gamers won't even ask. They will identify you by your nickname and your avatar, and not by your human body. Heck, gamers are one of the most welcoming communities I have ever met. And I entered online gaming during a period in which Americans felt a lot of hard feelings toward Mexicans. Guess what, most of my friends in online games were from souther USA states, and when they found out I was Mexican they did not care. They only cared about my skill at playing and being fun.
itchy01ca01: Unfortunately, unless you have experienced being a repressed minority, it is impossible to wrap your mind around it. Your arguments make sense in a logical, perfect world, but this isn't a logical, perfect world. It's messy, and people who are "different" are treated much worse than what you say they "really" are. I was not exaggerating my claims that I have a gay friend who has been beaten and abused. I was not exaggerating claims that I had a very good gay friend of mine commit suicide because of the mental and physical abuse he was going through at work. These things happen every day to minorities, and yet one white kid goes off and kills himself and its all over the news. Wake up. We live in a society where it is OK to belittle minorities but try and defend them and we get right-wing nutts who make the "Oh, it's not so bad" argument. It isn't as bad as the 80s but it ain't pretty either.

Ill give you one instance just last summer that happened while walking down the street. Guy was wearing a flamboyant book bag, pink if you must know. He was walking from the store to some location (not going to assume, maybe school). Car pulls up, yells (and I heard this from not 20 feet away) "You homo, queer, fucking faggot. Get the fuck out of your town".
Yeah, well, I have seen exactly the same intolerance directed toward white straight people. I think you don't understand. It is not about being "opressed" it is about causing a divide and creatig an "Us vs them" mindset. Which is exactly what activists are causing.
You two have taken all the fun out of this thread. :P

It's all serious now.

And BTW, everyone who I see use the term 'SJW' is being put on The Justin Bieber Fan Club mailing list.
Post edited January 17, 2016 by tinyE
LeonardoCornejo: 8<
noncompliantgame: You're sounding suspiciously alt-right ... or is it alt-left? Which reminds me (go with the segue folks!) I discovered this curious little website on my meanderings ...

altleft.com
I seriously don't know what is your point. Not because I am running away, but because I am totally ignorant of the a.t right and alt left.

I am more or less left leaning, but I tend to lean to the center and on the side of freedom.

Now, I would like to know what the alt right and alt left are. I would request a TLDR on the terms.
tinyE: You two have taken all the fun out of this thread. :P

It's all serious now.
I agree and take blame on it.

Hmmm, maybe a change of topic is required.
Post edited January 17, 2016 by LeonardoCornejo
itchy01ca01: Unfortunately, unless you have experienced being a repressed minority, it is impossible to wrap your mind around it. Your arguments make sense in a logical, perfect world, but this isn't a logical, perfect world. It's messy, and people who are "different" are treated much worse than what you say they "really" are. I was not exaggerating my claims that I have a gay friend who has been beaten and abused. I was not exaggerating claims that I had a very good gay friend of mine commit suicide because of the mental and physical abuse he was going through at work. These things happen every day to minorities, and yet one white kid goes off and kills himself and its all over the news. Wake up. We live in a society where it is OK to belittle minorities but try and defend them and we get right-wing nutts who make the "Oh, it's not so bad" argument. It isn't as bad as the 80s but it ain't pretty either.

LeonardoCornejo: Yeah, well, I have seen exactly the same intolerance directed toward white straight people. I think you don't understand. It is not about being "opressed" it is about causing a divide and creatig an "Us vs them" mindset. Which is exactly what activists are causing.
I will agree with you there. We're being divided, based on almost everything possible. Steam vs. gog. Pepsi v.s Coke. Socially conservative vs. Fiscally conservative. Anglican vs. Baptist. AppleOS vs. Windows vs. Android. VW vs. Ford. We're all slowly being pigeoned-wholed into these, to put it bluntly, advertising blocks. Corporations love it because now they can market to specific groups and get a specific message across to each group. Governments love it because we can't possibly overthrow them when they screw up because we are all so divided on the issues.

But being an asshole, is still being a fucking asshole, and being an asshole to someone because they are different is repugnant.
Now, just because they ARE different, doesn't mean that the same person isn't an asshole themselves.
There are a ton of homosexuals who are bullies and assholes, just as there are a ton of bullies and asshole christians, muslims, transexual, straight, male, females.

It's all serious now.

And BTW, everyone who I see use the term 'SJW' is being put on The Justin Bieber Fan Club mailing list.
Should we discuss something irrelevant to lighten things up?
Who's your favorite Pink Floyd member?

It's all serious now.

zeogold: Should we discuss something irrelevant to lighten things up?
David Gilmour
zeogold: Should we discuss something irrelevant to lighten things up?
tinyE: David Gilmour
Approximately how many carbonated drinks do you ingest per day?

It's all serious now.
Well, it is the internet.

It's all serious now.
Breja: Well, it is the internet.
But really...

edit: Right link.
Post edited January 18, 2016 by itchy01ca01
Breja: Well, it is the internet.
itchy01ca01: But really...

http://i.imgur.com/pggqu.gif
itchy01ca01: But really...

zeogold: http://i.imgur.com/pggqu.gif
One more time with Spider-Man!
itchy01ca01: 8<

That's very unpleasant and its unfortunate that people still behave that way. Frankly, I've had similar experiences myself, some years ago. A yobbo shouting "something something faggot" from a passing vehicle - you don't have to be homosexual to get called names derogatory to gays! It's unpleasant and a little scary but the thought of the government swooping in and intervening never occurred to me. Admittedly in a world where most Nations have repressed the right of their citizenry to defend themselves the situation is well, problematic but anyone who wants to wait for the government to intervene and save them has a slave mentality.

noncompliantgame: You're sounding suspiciously alt-right ... or is it alt-left? Which reminds me (go with the segue folks!) I discovered this curious little website on my meanderings ...

altleft.com
LeonardoCornejo: I seriously don't know what is your point. Not because I am running away, but because I am totally ignorant of the a.t right and alt left.

I am more or less left leaning, but I tend to lean to the center and on the side of freedom.

Now, I would like to know what the alt right and alt left are. I would request a TLDR on the terms.

8<
People who're aware of the anti-European policies of the powers that shouldn't be. The alt-right has been around a few years now and covers an emormous range of people but the alt-left is only just emerging, prolly because a lot of people (myself included) find some of those wide range of views unpalatable. Basically anyone sick of this sort of insane arsed f***ing sh*t. People who Sjws like to scream NAAAZI!!! and RAAACIST!!! at for daring to be concerned about Europeans (and all races for that matter). Me racist? It's just a bad joke - my partner has a grandparent who came from the Middle-East and I've always lived in cosmopolitan cities and mixed it up with everyone. As for my own socio-political leanings I have trouble pinning them down myself, neo-alt-right-left-pro-family-anarcho-hyper-libertarian-European-preservationist? But only slightly. :-/ I'm concerned for all people and races. I'm concerned about the decline of the family as the core unit of society and of course I'm most focused about my own family and by extension of that I care about all people and races and I happen to be white so I'm most focused on Europeans - but we can't have that now, can we.

tinyE: 8<

Sign me up for a few memberships thanks Mr E!
Post edited January 18, 2016 by noncompliantgame