It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Smannesman: Why?
Because you mysteriously forget a spell after casting it?
Klumpen0815: Exactly. Having to prepare a spell is one thing, but having to learn it all over again for a day every time is just bollocks.
I might be misremembering, but isn’t there an explanation about components that needs to be prepared in advance and are consumed by the spell? (speaking about "real" P&P here, not the video-game adaptations)
Klumpen0815: The English translation is called "The Dark Eye" and as has been posted already, there are a few games on GoG that take place in this verse. I'm not much into pen'n'paper, but always found the whole magic system of D&D terrible. Maybe there's an active DSA player around here somewhere.
zeogold: Honestly, I've never understood the point of those things. It seems like a lot of work for a game that could much more easily be accomplished through use of a computer-assisted program, so hosting an LAN party or something.
To be fair, though, I've never actually tried one, so maybe somebody can convince me otherwise. It's not exactly easy to get past the stereotype here of the "geek in the basement" if you're looking to play a match (I've been to my local board game store and I can assure you it is, in fact, true. I'm not even joking like I normally am, the clientele meets the stereotype perfectly).
The point is, that the game master takes on the role of the narrator, the keeper of the rule-set and the creator of worlds. A PC can't do this and a computer game is usually just designed for one scenario and can't create good new ones or improvise if the players have legitimate ideas to tackle the story in an alternative, creative, maybe rule bending but not rule breaking way.

I get the point but just wasn't cool enough for the DSA sessions in my class and never got invited.
Yes, I wasn't even cool enough for those back then. ;)
Post edited January 12, 2016 by Klumpen0815
zeogold: Honestly, I've never understood the point of those things. It seems like a lot of work for a game that could much more easily be accomplished through use of a computer-assisted program, so hosting an LAN party or something.
To be fair, though, I've never actually tried one, so maybe somebody can convince me otherwise. It's not exactly easy to get past the stereotype here of the "geek in the basement" if you're looking to play a match (I've been to my local board game store and I can assure you it is, in fact, true. I'm not even joking like I normally am, the clientele meets the stereotype perfectly).
Klumpen0815: The point is, that the game master takes on the role of the narrator, the keeper of the rule-set and the creator of worlds. A PC can't do this and a computer game is usually just designed for one scenario and can't create good new ones or improvise if the players have legitimate ideas to tackle the story in an alternative, creative, maybe rule bending but not rule breaking way.

I get the point but just wasn't cool enough for the DSA sessions in my class and never got invited.
Yes, I wasn't even cool enough for those back then. ;)
Here, I made you a character:

Klumpen the Artisan
Agility: 8
Strength: 6
Intelligence: 9
Charisma: 3
Health: 5
Inventory capacity: 4

Abilities:
Adaptability: If disarmed, Klumpen can make a weapon out of any nearby environment objects, as well as any instruments for his Musician ability.
Martial Arts: Klumpen's fighting ability gives him an automatic +3 dice against all opponents who do not also have the Martial Arts ability.
Outcast: Klumpen is able to disengage any opponent and become invisible for either 2 turns or until he attacks.
Musician: If holding an instrument, Klumpen may play music which grants his teammates benefits depending on what the instrument is. Add +1 dice for every additional Musician ability being used by other players on this turn.
low rated
Klumpen0815: The point is, that the game master takes on the role of the narrator, the keeper of the rule-set and the creator of worlds.
Just an interesting note: If playing with a large group of people, it might make sense to divide up the role of the game master. Having someone else handle the "keeper of the rule-set" role might be a reasonable idea: we'll call that person the "referee". This way, the GM can focus on designing the world and story while any rules arguments are directed to the referee instead.
Back to the topic of microtransactons. Some kid managed to spend $8k bucks in a FIFA game. Seriously, in free to play games microtransactions are OK, but in other games, well, whoever is allowing this deserves torture.

https://youtu.be/yUd0vxTsGwo
LeonardoCornejo: Back to the topic of microtransactons. Some kid managed to spend $8k bucks in a FIFA game. Seriously, in free to play games microtransactions are OK, but in other games, well, whoever is allowing this deserves torture.

How is it even possible to spend this much money?
LeonardoCornejo: Back to the topic of microtransactons. Some kid managed to spend $8k bucks in a FIFA game. Seriously, in free to play games microtransactions are OK, but in other games, well, whoever is allowing this deserves torture.

AccurateArt: How is it even possible to spend this much money?
I guess being stupid and thanks to EA's business models.
low rated
Klumpen0815: always found the whole magic system of D&D terrible. Maybe there's an active DSA player around here somewhere.
Smannesman: Why?
Because you mysteriously forget a spell after casting it?
Actually, there is a different issue I have with the magic systems of AD&D, Wizardry (1-5), Final Fantasy (1 (pre-GBA) and 3), and games that copy them like The Dark Spire and Elminage Gothic: It is quite possible to run into a situation where you have exhausted your ability to cast lower level spells, but are somehow able to cast higher level spells. That problem is made worse by the fact that the spell levels are often not balanced sensibly; in AD&D computer games, there usually isn't any 4th level spell as good as Fireball, and in AD&D and Wizardry, there is no way to use 2nd and 3rd level Priest spells for healing.

Fortunately, 3rd edition D&D fixed this by allowing low level spells to be prepared (notice the term is now "prepared", not "memorized") in higher level spell slots. Unfortunately, this rule seems to not usually be implemented in cRPGs (Temple of Elemental Evil is the only one I am aware of that implements this rule).
vv221: I might be misremembering, but isn’t there an explanation about components that needs to be prepared in advance and are consumed by the spell? (speaking about "real" P&P here, not the video-game adaptations)
Well there are components that are consumed by the spell that's true, but that still doesn't make the losing your memory part make sense.
It gets even weirder when you memorize the same spell twice.
Also none of the groups I've played with ever used the components rule, it's just such a dull rule.
Smannesman: Well there are components that are consumed by the spell that's true, but that still doesn't make the losing your memory part make sense.
Also none of the groups I've played with ever used the components rule, it's just such a dull rule.
I interpret the ability to cast the spell only once to be linked to the components, not your memory. And the preparation needed being the time you need to prepare the components through some rituals.
When you "memorize" a spell twice, you just prepare enough compnents to cast it twice.

But I agree that if you take the components out of the equation it suddenly doesn’t make much sense anymore.
Smannesman: Well there are components that are consumed by the spell that's true, but that still doesn't make the losing your memory part make sense.
vv221: I interpret the ability to cast the spell only once to be linked to the components, not your memory. And the preparation needed being the time you need to prepare the components through some rituals.
When you "memorize" a spell twice, you just prepare enough compnents to cast it twice.

But I agree that if you take the components out of the equation it suddenly doesn’t make much sense anymore.
And it just takes way too freakin' long!
On the rpg note just got the Fspace Fed Rpg, and a fallout like one for D&d 3E ( I dislike 3E but this might make me use the system), called darwin's world
vv221: I interpret the ability to cast the spell only once to be linked to the components, not your memory. And the preparation needed being the time you need to prepare the components through some rituals.

Klumpen0815: And it just takes way too freakin' long!
Doesn't anybody write anything down?
Tauto: I could say,relate some stuff here but it would be a waste of time as some arse wipe would delete it.
Everyone welcome! Anything goes! Now if you violate the GOG User Agreement that's an entirely different bucket of tofu altogether.

Fear your comments may invite deletion? Perhaps a thorough going examination of the Gog User Agreement would be prudent prior to posting.
Tauto: I could say,relate some stuff here but it would be a waste of time as some arse wipe would delete it.
noncompliantgame: Everyone welcome! Anything goes! Now if you violate the GOG User Agreement that's an entirely different bucket of tofu altogether.

Fear your comments may invite deletion? Perhaps a thorough going examination of the Gog User Agreement would be prudent prior to posting.
What's funny is he thinks I am the sole reason for his post being deleted. Even if I did downrate everything he puts up here (and I'm not saying I do :P) it still takes a hell of a lot more to get a post actually removed. I keep telling him that but evidently his English isn't so good. Maybe I should try speaking imbecile to him. :D