This news doesn't do anything crazy like worry me, but it certainly does concern me.
1. It's been stated there will be no loss of focus on older games.... I don't see how this is possible, with the different working relationships that will have to be set up and the hoops that GOG will have to jump through for this extension to their business to work, then ABSOLUTELY INEVITABLY the focus will be moved from what we accept as "good old" to what will probably be classed as "newer old"... and there are far too many old games missing from GOG's offerings for any emphisis to be lost there.... we ALREADY see proof of a move away from the the "Good Old" mindset with us being persuaded that GOG is just a name, instead of being the acronym we know it to be... The shift has started, that much is obvious.
2. It will all probably still "work", but there a few things that I DO NOT want to see happen.... For certain, the publishers are going to (try to?) persude GOG to take their crap.. all of the bullshit quality games (that we KNOW are bullshit, that being the reason we wouldn't touch them first time round) are now going to be re-pimped to us, so the overall quality of GOG's offerings will certainly be reduced in terms of pure numbers (GOG will HAVE to sell their shit in order to get access to the 'better' releases and the shit FAR OUTWEIGHS the quality) more shit to wade through plus you just KNOW that the 'first' offerings are going to be The Sims, FIFA and EA's sports titles, add in the built in obsolescance of yearly itterations and removal of activation servers (you do know that the big publishers don't consider activation to be DRM, right?) and I'm left with a horrible sinking feeling that we'll get releases with a limited shelf life or online features being unavailable.
3. Also what I don't want to see is a dirth of $20 games.. and I don't see how this won't be a certainty, we already get shafted over new digital releases being the same price, and often DEARER than retail box price, the rampant profit whoring isn't going to suddenly stop just because the game is a year or two old, pubs are not going to give GOG a licence to sell games cheaper here than would be available on other distribution methods which WILL mean a closing of the distance between GOG and other distributors that makes GOG stand out.. not a nice direction to be going head first in, and we are, because the 'closer working releationship' required by GOG and the publishers to get this system going IS going to mean that GOG has to become more like them.. it can't be done any other way, the publishers are still going to be in the position of dictating certain terms to GOG.
One thing that IS a certainty however.. and believe me I'm dreading it, the forums are going to devolve in to a nasty bitching mess... just like EVERY OTHER GAMESITE OUTHERE, it's inevitable. With the change in focus of type of games being bought and played you will see an increase of users.. but they will be users with a different priority for their gaming, there will be a drastic upturn in graphics whores, fanboys and in general, ADD asshats that upto now have ignored the site due to the content not being 'bling' enough for them. The site will no longer have the common denominator that draws us together atm... we can all, to a person pretty much, ignore graphical whimsy in favour of a good game, but where else do you see that with all the shallow, shiney, fastfood games that the ridilin poppers play these days.
5. Upto now, GOG have always smelled like sweet, sweet pie to me... however with the advent of this news I'm now getting a whiff of rotten eggs.
6. I honestly hope I'm wrong, but I'm also pretty sure that the terms the pubs will want enforced are not going to be upto the GOG standard so far.
7. As for 'The Witcher 2'.. that BELONGED here because of the relationship between GOG and CDP, I was GLAD to be able to support CDP with the full price of my monies, that was revolutionary, but I don't want to be whored out to other inferior publishers as a source of profit.
8. EDIT.. concerning the multiple platform points...... NOT GOING TO HAPPEN, honestly peeps the logistics of tracking these companys/rights holder would be an unmitigated nightmare and certainly not worth the miniscule profit they'd get back in return.
9. ...And please, a reply about how innacurate I am about this issue, or about how 'YOU' know it can be made all simple and would work is POINTLESS.. IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN and any further discussion of this absurdity is just dragging the thread away from any valid points it may be making... so please, no more emulator talk, it's silly.. seriously, it's silly. ANYWAY, if you don't know how to acquire all the emulated software you'll EVER EVER want by now, then you should have your access to the internet taken away from you :P
1. If they hire more staff it shouldn't be a problem. And I believe I read that they are going to hire more people as the site expands it's game listings to newer titles.
2. And what is crap exactly? Some games can be considered stinkers to more people than normal, but some games that you dislike others might like & vice versa. But games aren't shit because you dislike them.
Also it will allow people who didn't buy such titles because they disliked the DRM on those games to be able to buy DRM free copies finally.
3. Are you that cheap that you wouldn't pay 20 dollars or so for a newer game even if it came with no DRM and GOG's plethora of extras? If it's the price that upset you go to steam and buy the games.....but then you have to deal with the client. But that's your choice to make.
And no, I don't think if GOG charges more for newer games that they will suddenly charge more for older games or drop the 6/10 dollar price points. Older games will likely still be around 6-10 bucks(possibly including several games in one pack if the single titles aren't worth 6 or 10 bucks alone), and newer games will possibly be around 15-20. Also GOG determines many things about what it releases, otherwise people wouldn't buy from them so much and trust them. I believe, as such, that they won't let the publishers pull a fast one on us when adding newer titles.
4. Now this HAS to be trolling, as if it isn't I dare to think you are serious in such stereotyping of newer game players. Newsflash: Not all newer game players are ADD riddled fanboys or graphics whores. and all newer games aren't crap.....some of us here even play newer games & are quite intellectual & eloquent when speaking.
As for the forums, well every forum has it's bad apples. Since GOG went out of beta several bad apples have come and gone or become good apples. I don't think that just because GOG offers newer games, though, that the forums will suddenly turn into /b/ on 4chan.
5. Then leave if it's so bad for you here.....nothing is keeping you here. You won't likely be missed....especially with that attitude you seem to have against newer games and those who play them.
6. Again they can't tell GOG what to do with their company. If GOG doesn't want to play ball they don't have to. Simple as that.
7. No one is whoring anyone out to anyone else here. GOG(again) is simply running a business. As such they can do with it as they please, though I believe they will remain true to the customer for many years to come. As for inferior publishers...well again that's your POV not everyone elses. What you don't like someone else might...and GOG wants to sell to them a DRM free gaming experience and there are those who might want to buy it from GOG.
8. Stop being so pessimistic. Gog said themselves it might be a possibility in the future.
9. So you tell people to stop having such ideas because you deem them "silly", and then basically tell them to pirate the games instead. How nice of you.
Yeah.. stopped reading at 'trolling'. It's amazing that people like you still exist, the interrnet is years old now and your ilk still have trouble accepting that opinion differ from person to person whether you actually agree or not....... Your lack of openmindedness and acceptance towards the rights of others to hold differing, even absurd opinions pretty much demonstrates that your usage of the word 'intellectual' in regards to yourself is erroneous.