It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Some people dislike stalling because it's boring, some say it's a part of the game.

I say it's a part of the game just as much as fouling and killing people, or scoring 6 times in one game. Slow teams vs Fast teams? Stalling is a smart competitive move. It's true that it SUCKS BALLS to have to watch your opponent wait a turn or two or four before they score, but that's blood bowl. Just like watching your star player on your team get killed.
rcthedigitalhero: Some people dislike stalling because it's boring, some say it's a part of the game.

I say it's a part of the game just as much as fouling and killing people, or scoring 6 times in one game. Slow teams vs Fast teams? Stalling is a smart competitive move. It's true that it SUCKS BALLS to have to watch your opponent wait a turn or two or four before they score, but that's blood bowl. Just like watching your star player on your team get killed.
well, everyone can choose themselves whether to play fast/agility team or slow and clunky basher - and its not like one cant affect it how easy or difficult its to stall against them by positioning of players either. Slow teams are especially weak to get stalled if they have thin wide formation and lose the ball.

some sort of tackle-zone-free backup/sweeper player is especially useful for the slower teams that cant dodge very well either.

Personally my amount of stalling or lack of it depends totally on the situation on the pitch. Granted, with vamps i do prefer to do quick td's (i am not slow, half the team is squishy and the useful part of team is totally dependant on the squishy part) as stalling typically leads to vamp failing bloodlust and me missing the TD.

Same with fouling. Smart fouling is something id like to learn...but my current set-up (6vamps on the pitch, too few thralls) doesnt support it, so i rarely foul. Anyways, even foul per turn would be far less armor checks than what our average dwarf/chaos/orc teams (or even that thrice cursed Zara with stab) do in a single round anyways - so its good to put that into perspective as well and not get too emotional ;)
MafiaK1: 2 of my cw ( 1 with str5 ) didnt play in this game so why should i risk something?

he got like 12 Ko ( full game ) and all of them came always back while my Ko guys just stayed in the box ;)

and if you watched my other games u would know that i even try to get a 4 0 as a chaos team!
As I said before I simply don't care about that "risk"-argument (any more). It is just boring (to see) and if an opponent does that kind of thing more then one or two turns in a row but could have easily scored, I for one am out of the game. I play that game for fun regardless the times, when the dice suck as hell. In a normal game there is every time at least a small chance of doing something. But just starring at the pitch for (perceived) half of the game, because of an opponent who is just afraid of what will happen next, isn't fun at all and for me my time is simply not worth it. That's all.

I am sorry that I brought it up a second time. I really am! It wont happen again. I promise. :)
Post edited November 18, 2013 by chaos_panda
Well I had a couple of turns to equalize in the first half after iippo scored. I just needed my thrower to make a long pass. He didn't.

iippo also had a couple of turns to score the wining TD in the second half. He just need his vampire to succeed his bloodlust roll. He didn't.

With some stalling you get rid of situations like this. It's true, neither of us was in a good position to stall (well, maybe I was a bit), but it would have been the smart thing to do.

It's a valid tactic, just like fouling. And in matches with a slower team against a faster team, not stalling will cost you the game in most cases. And to be honest, if some people don't like it... tough luck! Force your opponent to score. If you can't, maybe he just played a better game (or he was luckier)
Post edited November 18, 2013 by Aningan
Aningan: It's a valid tactic, just like fouling. And in matches with a slower team against a faster team, not stalling will cost you the game in most cases. And to be honest, is some people don't like it... tough luck! Force your opponent to score. If you can't, maybe he just played a better game (or he was luckier)
I don't like camping the ball, but I'm not against it either. It's my own personal playstyle preference. Buuut...

I agreed until this quote here. That line of logic bothers/infuriates me a lot in multiplayer games. You see this type of reasoning employed a lot to justify really crappy game breaking actions. "Spawn killing is a valid tactic, you have to stop them from doing it!", "Spending the entire game sniper camping is valid, just don't be a target", etc, etc.

It's an easy excuse to justify basically trolling the hell out of other players. It's not "playing a game" when you're actively crushing the enjoyment of another person for your own desires to win. That's a primary reason why I don't play games online with random people. For every one person who is just playing to have fun, you run into two or three people who'll do absolutely horrendous tactics, exploits, or strategies just to "win".
Hawk52: That line of logic bothers/infuriates me a lot in multiplayer games. You see this type of reasoning employed a lot to justify really crappy game breaking actions. "Spawn killing is a valid tactic, you have to stop them from doing it!", "Spending the entire game sniper camping is valid, just don't be a target", etc, etc.

It's an easy excuse to justify basically trolling the hell out of other players. It's not "playing a game" when you're actively crushing the enjoyment of another person for your own desires to win.
I can relate to that. I played WOW a lot and as much as I liked PVP I hated graveyard camping. (The Graveyard is the spawn point after you died.) You never stand a chance. I don't understand it either. Where is the fun in crushing someone who doesn't stand a chance? That's the point where I usually quit. If they don't want to play with me I don't want to play with them.

I think there is a difference between stalling and stalling. If someone stall agains a fast team for a round or two (lets say is turn 7 but he waits untill turn 8 to score) I think it's a valid tatic. But if a team is completely dominatet and someone stalls for maybe 5 turns I don't see the point. Most teams can score a second time in 5 turns and it's far less frustrating for your opponent.
Kamica: I think there is a difference between stalling and stalling. If someone stall agains a fast team for a round or two (lets say is turn 7 but he waits untill turn 8 to score) I think it's a valid tatic. But if a team is completely dominatet and someone stalls for maybe 5 turns I don't see the point. Most teams can score a second time in 5 turns and it's far less frustrating for your opponent.
I agree with that.
With little bit of luck i -may- perhaps have found as a new player. ..we'll see if i scare him away before he actually joins.
The things Hawk listed above leads me to a rule I set for myself when I started getting more competitive with this game. If I camp, I only do it for 1 turn (unless the team is a 1 or 2 turn TD, and only if I actually need to for victory). Otherwise I have two goals: to have fun (which comes and goes, honestly) and to make the game ultimately more exciting to watch.

Something I've come to notice since I've been playing as Nurgle is they're very BORING to play. The only times my games have been exciting is when I score with my Beast, or I perform a miracle double dodge and pass with my rotter.

My point is I try to play like a game I want to watch. Sometimes I lose, and that sucks. But oh well. I had more fun and had a more enjoyable game.
rcthedigitalhero: Something I've come to notice since I've been playing as Nurgle is they're very BORING to play. The only times my games have been exciting is when I score with my Beast, or I perform a miracle double dodge and pass with my rotter.
I would guess it is a problem, what nearly every (slower) team share, which is aligned to be bashy.

I agree, it is totally flashing, when a AG2 or 3 player make the nearly impossible move. XD

Last season I had this moment, when my thrower made a awesome pass right into the hands of an Blitzer or Catcher (I think it was a Blitzer) over half of the pitch without interception and after a dodge. That was quite elfish. XD
Hawk52: That line of logic bothers/infuriates me a lot in multiplayer games. You see this type of reasoning employed a lot to justify really crappy game breaking actions. "Spawn killing is a valid tactic, you have to stop them from doing it!", "Spending the entire game sniper camping is valid, just don't be a target", etc, etc.

It's an easy excuse to justify basically trolling the hell out of other players. It's not "playing a game" when you're actively crushing the enjoyment of another person for your own desires to win.
Kamica: I think there is a difference between stalling and stalling. If someone stall agains a fast team for a round or two (lets say is turn 7 but he waits untill turn 8 to score) I think it's a valid tatic. But if a team is completely dominatet and someone stalls for maybe 5 turns I don't see the point. Most teams can score a second time in 5 turns and it's far less frustrating for your opponent.
I think stalling to a certain extent is fine. Again, Mafia's stalling on me was fine. It didn't bother me. I thought he could have scored more if he'd been aggressive, but hey, that's his choice.

If someone got the ball on turn two at the endzone, and then sat there for the rest of the round? I'd have a problem with that.

As you stated though, I was more or less saying the defense "Well, you're just not good enough to stop it" really chaffs my gears.
rcthedigitalhero: The things Hawk listed above leads me to a rule I set for myself when I started getting more competitive with this game. If I camp, I only do it for 1 turn (unless the team is a 1 or 2 turn TD, and only if I actually need to for victory). Otherwise I have two goals: to have fun (which comes and goes, honestly) and to make the game ultimately more exciting to watch.

Something I've come to notice since I've been playing as Nurgle is they're very BORING to play. The only times my games have been exciting is when I score with my Beast, or I perform a miracle double dodge and pass with my rotter.

My point is I try to play like a game I want to watch. Sometimes I lose, and that sucks. But oh well. I had more fun and had a more enjoyable game.
What I've found, is I get more aggressive the better the team I'm playing as. It's hard to explain, but like...Halflings, I never had any expectations. If I scored, I was overjoyed. But with Chaos Dwarves in S1 and now with Undead in S3, they're good teams. So I guess I'm putting internal pressure on myself to live up to how good they are. It's not my team failing me, it's ME failing THEM, which aggravates me. I'm starting to think that, along with health issues is why I broke down S1 and nearly quit, while I loved S2. Shoulda went with Gobos.

I also try to play in entertaining fashion. I don't know how many times Rodzaju and others IM'd me post-game telling me that I could have done this or that or whatever, my reply was always "You gotta have STYLE~!".
Post edited November 18, 2013 by Hawk52
Hawk52: As you stated though, I was more or less saying the defense "Well, you're just not good enough to stop it" really chaffs my gears.
It wasn't a jab at you (didn't watch your game), but there are case where what I said stands. There are plenty of teams that are great at the scoring game, and only that. In cases like that it's not the opponent's fault for playing to that team's weaknesses. The game has both offense and defense. For wining you need to play both well. And you need some luck :)
I played a bit SinglePlayer again with an Orc-team just to play a bit around with the first skills etc.

Here is my problem. First match - so no skills on my side - and my opponent is a dwarf-team with that big guy steamroller-thing, lots of block and guard. after the 4. or 5. turn I just abandoned. How the hell do I counter that mashine with a stock team? I know, stock vs. skilled is kind of pain sometimes and that guard/block-combo suckt in a way, but this?I just have to put at least some dudes in front of him and I thought, it would be best, if they were Black Orcs. Didn't work out that well and Nuffle did the rest. It was kind of a depressing first match. :/
here, use this

http://forum.bloodbowl-game.com/viewtopic.php?p=32298#p32298

play elves and give everyone 'right stuff' and 'throw teammate'

hilarious first game assured.
interesting. ^^

thank you. I will try it. But no way I will play Elves. ^^