It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Breja: Yeah, it's a loss for PC gamers to be getting more of what used to be console exclusives :D How shall we ever recover!
§pec†re: Imagine if games were made with the PC in mind first instead of multiplatform.
I don't think you should be all to happy with that end result.. I'm picturing a multitude of Star Citizen-esque titles, only actually affordable on the meanest of battlestations with billion dollar subscriptions aimed at those either too nerdy too rich and to much time on their hands and to sick to be able to participate in day to day life, heck probably after a while you would start seeing a darker economy coming to rise dictated by the needs and wants of the players participating in those games. Soon people living in 3d world countries would be enlisted to act as servitors for those willing to pay. Not long after this economy would try to take over the world creating an ever greater gap between rich and poor untill we end in a dystopian society that can only end in nuclear war over the last resources
O bom de guerra.
§pec†re: Imagine if games were made with the PC in mind first instead of multiplatform.
It's been 20 years since games like Halo and Morrowind made traditional PC AAA genres multiplatform. I think the time for complaining about it is long gone, unless you just like complaining.

Things are better than ever now for PC thanks to indies anyway.
Not dissing, but these Sony games coming to PC are really all graphics and little else, right? I watched gameplay for each one of them and every time I was left scratching my head trying to figure out why people make such a fuss about these games.
samuraigaiden: Not dissing, but these Sony games coming to PC are really all graphics and little else, right? I watched gameplay for each one of them and every time I was left scratching my head trying to figure out why people make such a fuss about these games.
One man's food is another man's poison. In another thread I just said how I don't understand what people like about something like Stardew Valley. In yet another there's some crazy person who hates Heroes of Might and Magic ;)

Graphics are part of it, sure - and that's not an insignificant thing. Games are a visual medium. Good visuals are very important, it's not just meaningless eye-candy. But I enjoyed much more than graphics about such games as Uncharted, God of War or Order 1886. Stories, lore, mood, music and yes, also gameplay. Uncharted games are fantastic fast paced ripping-yarn globtrotting pulp adventures with a likeable protagonist and fantastic locations, God of War has great combat, art direction and mood, Order 1886 has a very intriguing setting... I found Horizon Zero Dawn to be rather bland and empty and disappointing, but many people don't. Like I said, it's silly to try and apply some reductive label like "it's just graphics" to people's tastes.
Post edited October 22, 2021 by Breja
samuraigaiden: Not dissing, but these Sony games coming to PC are really all graphics and little else, right? I watched gameplay for each one of them and every time I was left scratching my head trying to figure out why people make such a fuss about these games.
What's the alternative? Another generic multiplayer war FPS with a stupid zombie mode and paying 1$ to reload, if EA get their way? Also maybe some sort of a racing game?

With the exception of MAYBE Halo, I would take Sony's exclusives any day over any Xbox game. Xbox is like a perfect platform for EA. All live service and multiplayer.

Some people prefer single player story-driven games. I have even played some games, that I disliked, purely for the story. You could almost say I put narrative over gameplay. I was very happy to see Quantic Dream's games come to PC. Thankfully Microsoft and EA are starting to realise that people actually want single player games, hence why Microsoft started buying up all these single player studios all of a sudden. I would not be surprised if Elder Scrolls 6 was Xbox & PC exclusive lol.

If I could make a generalised comparison, I would say that PlayStation games are movies, while Xbox games are sports. Some people like one, some like another, some like both. I definitely prefer movies over sports.
Post edited October 22, 2021 by SargonAelther
SargonAelther: What's the alternative? Another generic multiplayer war FPS with a stupid zombie mode and paying 1$ to reload, if EA get their way? Also maybe some sort of a racing game?

With the exception of MAYBE Halo, I would take Sony's exclusives any day over any Xbox game. Xbox is like a perfect platform for EA. All live service and multiplayer.

Some people prefer single player story-driven games. I have even played some games, that I disliked, purely for the story. You could almost say I put narrative over gameplay. I was very happy to see Quantic Dream's games come to PC. Thankfully Microsoft and EA are starting to realise that people actually want single player games, hence why Microsoft started buying up all these single player studios all of a sudden. I would not be surprised if Elder Scrolls 6 was Xbox & PC exclusive lol.

If I could make a generalised comparison, I would say that PlayStation games are movies, while Xbox games are sports. Some people like one, some like another, some like both. I definitely prefer movies over sports.
How informative. Do you sleep with your favorite console? Did it come with a cool magic baba potion?
low rated
probably just another overhyped console game
last console hyped game ive tried is halo series and it was just a very average shooter nothing special
SargonAelther: What's the alternative? Another generic multiplayer war FPS with a stupid zombie mode and paying 1$ to reload, if EA get their way? Also maybe some sort of a racing game?

I'm pretty sure I have played games that are neither movies nor sports. Single player games with a focus on gameplay over presentation do exist, you know?
teceem: How informative. Do you sleep with your favorite console? Did it come with a cool magic baba potion?
I have never bought a single console in my life. Only Desktops, Laptops and PC handhelds. I only meant that in my opinion, PlayStation exclusives are far superior than those of Xbox or Nintendo.

samuraigaiden: I'm pretty sure I have played games that are neither movies nor sports. Single player games with a focus on gameplay over presentation do exist, you know?
I think you took my comparison's... too literally. By "movies" I do not mean Telltale games and the like exclusively, nor do I mean FIFA and the like by "sports".

I compare all story-rich single player games to movies, regardless of the complexity of gameplay and I compare games lacking in story to sports. Without story, the gameplay becomes a repetitive task, like that of any physical game aka sport. You do the same thing over and over, without any real reason, other than the fact that it gives some people pleasure.

All games are repetitive, that's why the term "gameplay loop" exists, but in a story-rich game, such as God of War in this case, there's a narrative reason for that loop. There isn't one in your average multiplayer fps match, or something akin to single-player Quake 3.

Presence of actual narrative is the reason SWTOR is the only MMORPG I have ever managed to play for longer than a few weeks, without going bored out of my mind.

Orkhepaj: probably just another overhyped console game
last console hyped game I've tried is halo series and it was just a very average shooter nothing special
You need to apply the release date context, to see the appeal. Playing Half life 1, or even 2, for the first time in 2021 may also feel disappointing, without a proper time context.
Post edited October 25, 2021 by SargonAelther
How linear is God of War 2018?
samuraigaiden: How linear is God of War 2018?
Entirely linear main plot (with limited backtracking), plus some equally linear optional side quests/combat trials in a medium sized semi-open world.
arsalan12: God Of War is finally coming on Steam. Here's hoping that it also releases on GOG.
Maybe not even on Steam.

Playstation said it will be available on Steam and Epic Games. If Tim has his fingers in this he will fight for exclusive rights. I would imagine he tries to get a year exclusive but will settle for a month. Some games have vanished form Steam for the timed exclusive because of Tim's war on consumer choice. RDR2 was one month exclusive, Control, Borderlands 3, Satisfactory were one year if I recall right... I see no reason why Tim wouldn't try the same with this.

(It's by the way this exclusive thing why I will not spend a single cent on Epic Games before they completely stop with the exclusive deal nonsense, especially when he has managed to secure exclusive deals even after pre-orders started on Steam.)
samuraigaiden: How linear is God of War 2018?
Breja: Entirely linear main plot (with limited backtracking), plus some equally linear optional side quests/combat trials in a medium sized semi-open world.
Agreed. You can spend a considerable time doing thorough explores at the points the game lets you to find nifty things and collect various chests throughout the world, but it's nothing major. Also, the game's one big late game side-quest (Valkyries) is notoriously hated. It also has an arena area (volcano) late that can get pretty grueling too.

There are a lot of stories you can get when you go canoeing on the lake. A small reward for regular backtracking/exploring. But there is a large chunk of the starting area you can't backtrack to until quite late in the game. Fortunately there's nothing major there, other than some of the game's TACOs.

I enjoyed the game thoroughly for the one play, but I opted out of its New Game+ (which adds more stuff) because the two aforementioned late-game bits convinced me it wasn't worth another go. (I completed the first play with quite good completion outside those two bits.)

I would call it a 7 on a 1-10 [sandbox...linear] scale.
Post edited October 25, 2021 by mqstout
mqstout: Agreed. You can spend a considerable time doing thorough explores at the points the game lets you to find nifty things and collect various chests throughout the world, but it's nothing major. Also, the game's one big late game side-quest (Valkyries) is notoriously hated. It also has an arena area (volcano) late that can get pretty grueling too.
That is the only quest I never finished. I'm down to the final Valkyrie and I walked away. Maybe some day I'll return to finish that up. Loved the game.