It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

richlind33: GOG accounts, drmike.
elcook said "any services". Reread what he (or she. I forget which of the forum posting staff members is female) wrote.

A friendly reminder that some of us deal with these types of questions each and every day.
low rated
drmike: elcook said "any services". Reread what he (or she. I forget which of the forum posting staff members is female) wrote.

A friendly reminder that some of us deal with these types of questions each and every day.
He said "generally", which generally means that it isn't in black and white, but it's a moot point because your post was made prior to elcook's unequivocal equivocation.
elcook: Since this topic was brought to our attention, let me jump in here with a "blue post" :p

In general, we don't want, nor allow sharing or transferring any accounts from any services on GOG forums. But to be fair, I've checked itch.io's TOS and haven't found anything about transferring or sharing accounts on their service. I'll reach out to their support to check what is their official stance on the matter of transferring accounts.

Until then, I'd like to ask you greeklover, not to continue this giveaway, at least not in here.
Sorry for being the party popper.
Ok, this is being put on hold.

By the way, this is a very specific case of "transferring account" so it would be helpful if we had a specific answer from itch.io. No money was used to build this account, all the games were added for free.

I'm sure that unofficially all these companies accept that accounts are shared/transferrred between family members/friends, it's part of the game and they can't fight against it. They just don't make it official because that would allow a market for buying/selling accounts which would reduce their earnings.
richlind33: Lawyers have brainwashed us into thinking that we need to have our hands held whenever we encounter a gray area, to protect us from unimaginably horrible horrors that could bring an end to the world as we know it. But I don't have a problem with the end of the world as we know it, because it sucks dead donkey bollocks. ;p
The thing about "gray" areas is that they aren't grey anymore the moment a judge comes into play. So better safe than sorry imo is not that bad of advice.
drmike: elcook said "any services". Reread what he (or she. I forget which of the forum posting staff members is female) wrote.
"He" is correct. fables22 is a female.
greeklover: I'm sure that unofficially all these companies accept that accounts are shared/transferrred between family members/friends, it's part of the game and they can't fight against it. They just don't make it official because that would allow a market for buying/selling accounts which would reduce their earnings.
Don't know who you mean with "all these companies" but at least on Steam you can be pretty sure that tehy will supend any traded account if they find out.
greeklover: Ok, this is being put on hold.

By the way, this is a very specific case of "transferring account" so it would be helpful if we had a specific answer from itch.io. No money was used to build this account, all the games were added for free.
Like I already said. The idea behind this special giveaway is absolutely a generous one and in fact it's a shame that there MAY be legal issues. I am sure that everybody appreciates the thought behind this and "on hold" still does not mean "cancelled". Of course GOG need to be on the safe side as well and I think this temporary hold is the best solution for now.

Just for information though: I did not point out this thread to anybody.
Post edited November 09, 2017 by MarkoH01
low rated
richlind33: Lawyers have brainwashed us into thinking that we need to have our hands held whenever we encounter a gray area, to protect us from unimaginably horrible horrors that could bring an end to the world as we know it; but I don't have a problem with the end of the world as we know it, because it sucks dead donkey bollocks. ;p
MarkoH01: The thing about "gray" areas is that they aren't grey anymore the moment a judge comes into play. So better safe than sorry imo is not that bad of advice.
One day the judges in this world will find themselves hanging from lamp posts, and the enraged masses will likely be disinclined to spare those who bought into and propped up this vile and despicable system that passes for law in our world. I don't relish the prospect, but neither can I say that it will be undeserved, because we ought to know by now that extreme injustice invariably leads to chaos and destruction that is equally extreme, and decidedly undiscriminating.
Post edited November 09, 2017 by richlind33
MarkoH01: The thing about "gray" areas is that they aren't grey anymore the moment a judge comes into play. So better safe than sorry imo is not that bad of advice.
richlind33: One day the judges in this world will find themselves hanging from lamp posts, and the enraged masses will likely be disinclined to spare those who bought into and propped up this vile and despicable system that passes for law in our world. I don't relish the prospect, but neither can I say that it will be undeserved, because we ought to know by now that extreme injustice invariably leads to chaos and destruction that is equally extreme, and decidedly undiscriminating.
This really sounds like an end time scenario for me .... brrrr. Luckily I will be dead and gone for a long time when this time has arrived.
richlind33: One day the judges in this world will find themselves hanging from lamp posts
Who would be their judge, jury and executioner? And will those who judge the judges hang next to the judges they judged, or will we assume one breed of judge is better than the other? And if yes, who tells us that the judges we hanged weren't better than those who judged them?
P.S. The judges are there to interpret the law. If I kill someone who was threatening my family for a long time, should I be judged the same as a man who killed someone just for the heck of it? Law is the same, we both planned to kill and killed a man, it's up to the judge (and possibly jury) to see how that same law applies to each case.
low rated
richlind33: One day the judges in this world will find themselves hanging from lamp posts, and the enraged masses will likely be disinclined to spare those who bought into and propped up this vile and despicable system that passes for law in our world. I don't relish the prospect, but neither can I say that it will be undeserved, because we ought to know by now that extreme injustice invariably leads to chaos and destruction that is equally extreme, and decidedly undiscriminating.
MarkoH01: This really sounds like an end time scenario for me .... brrrr. Luckily I will be dead and gone for a long time when this time has arrived.
You might think so, but history shows conclusively that while change is typically gradual, it can also be cataclysmically abrupt.

How many "canaries in the coal mine" have to die before we acknowledge that our manner of living is precariously unbalanced and unsustainable?
richlind33: One day the judges in this world will find themselves hanging from lamp posts
JMich: Who would be their judge, jury and executioner? And will those who judge the judges hang next to the judges they judged, or will we assume one breed of judge is better than the other? And if yes, who tells us that the judges we hanged weren't better than those who judged them?
P.S. The judges are there to interpret the law. If I kill someone who was threatening my family for a long time, should I be judged the same as a man who killed someone just for the heck of it? Law is the same, we both planned to kill and killed a man, it's up to the judge (and possibly jury) to see how that same law applies to each case.
When civilizations collapse, reason is the first thing to die.
Post edited November 09, 2017 by richlind33
richlind33: When civilizations collapse, reason is the first thing to die.
Is it that way or other way around? When reason dies, civilizations collapse.
low rated
JMich: Is it that way or other way around? When reason dies, civilizations collapse.
That's a good question because humans are driven primarily by emotions rather than by reason -- but -- when a civilization collapses, it goes completely by the wayside.

Reason would dictate that the wretched excesses that precipitated the French Revolution are to be avoided at all costs, but greed and lust win out because we fail to appreciate the necessity for ethics.
JMich: Is it that way or other way around? When reason dies, civilizations collapse.
And that's what we are currently witnessing around the globe.
Lifthrasil: And that's what we are currently witnessing around the globe.
Oh no, please don't let this turn into a political debate. In that case this thread would be off limits for me.
Post edited November 09, 2017 by MarkoH01
high rated
elcook: Since this topic was brought to our attention, let me jump in here with a "blue post" :p

In general, we don't want, nor allow sharing or transferring any accounts from any services on GOG forums. But to be fair, I've checked itch.io's TOS and haven't found anything about transferring or sharing accounts on their service. I'll reach out to their support to check what is their official stance on the matter of transferring accounts.

Until then, I'd like to ask you greeklover, not to continue this giveaway, at least not in here.
Sorry for being the party popper.

I'm sure that unofficially all these companies accept that accounts are shared/transferrred between family members/friends, it's part of the game and they can't fight against it. They just don't make it official because that would allow a market for buying/selling accounts which would reduce their earnings.
All right people, I received a reply from itch.io support. And what is even better, there is a solution for this situation that should work best and the giveaway can happen.
Itch.io's support can handle transfers of both games and purchases between accounts - there is the consent of both account holders required to do this. So I'd suggest to transfer games from greeklover's account to the winner of this giveaway account via itch.io support.

Also, totally agree with MarkoH01, please let's not turn this thread (or any other on GOG forums) to a political debate - it's for the sanity of all of us ;)

elcook: All right people, I received a reply from itch.io support. And what is even better, there is a solution for this situation that should work best and the giveaway can happen.
Itch.io's support can handle transfers of both games and purchases between accounts - there is the consent of both account holders required to do this. So I'd suggest to transfer games from greeklover's account to the winner of this giveaway account via itch.io support.

Also, totally agree with MarkoH01, please let's not turn this thread (or any other on GOG forums) to a political debate - it's for the sanity of all of us ;)
Thanks for the good news. And I'll do the procedure via itch.io support as you suggest. I'm glad that I chose to do the itch.io giveaway first tp check the waters and not the Blizzard one:D:D:D That one might cause trouble to GOG so it won't happen.

So...this giveaway is not on hold anymore:D Entries encouraged.
elcook: All right people, I received a reply from itch.io support. And what is even better, there is a solution for this situation that should work best and the giveaway can happen.

Actually that's not a bad stance from them, and cool of you guys to check it out.