It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Dessimu: A 200 years long game... That would be fun :P I can only agree on your idea to minimize the list to a manageable scale. And I would say you should most definitely add already started games. If I was in your shoes I would try to finish them first, while they are fresh in memory and easy to get back to.
Most of the games I've started have been idle for eons, I might even restart a few of them if it makes more sense to do so. Probably have a good 20 or more games that are started at least.

Dessimu: Is it safe to say you admire RPGs very lot?
I do, and I own zillions of them however I've only played a handful for any significant time. I've completed all of the original Diablo games and Torchlight ARPGs, completed Skyrim (without the addons, don't have them (yet)), completed the base Witcher 3 game. I've toyed with the Fallout's but just trial runs. Same with some of the D&D games, Divinity, and a number of others. I'd like to go through all my RPGs over time, but they usually take a long dedicated time period to complete, plus all the addons etc. Also they all have replay value generally and I might like to replay some too (like Witcher 3, plus buy the expansions for it some day).

After dedicating my life to Skyrim and Witcher 3 last year though I am taking an RPG break for a while. :)
skeletonbow: I do, and I own zillions of them however I've only played a handful for any significant time. I've completed all of the original Diablo games and Torchlight ARPGs, completed Skyrim (without the addons, don't have them (yet)), completed the base Witcher 3 game. I've toyed with the Fallout's but just trial runs. Same with some of the D&D games, Divinity, and a number of others. I'd like to go through all my RPGs over time, but they usually take a long dedicated time period to complete, plus all the addons etc. Also they all have replay value generally and I might like to replay some too (like Witcher 3, plus buy the expansions for it some day).

After dedicating my life to Skyrim and Witcher 3 last year though I am taking an RPG break for a while. :)
Amazing. I can say I love RPGs most out of all genres, but I guess I it would be wrong to say I love them overall so much. That is only because I don't have so many finished games or even tried like you. I only learned about D&D, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale games, looked at Fallout or Diablo, or Divine Divinity games ONLY after I joined GOG. Until then, I have played Gothic 2, 3 and Arcania, tried Drakensang games, finished The Witcher, played Risen 1 and 2, tasted a little bit of Two Worlds 2, finished Skyrim main story and two (official?) DLCs, dabbled a little with Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Morrowind. I think until GOG came into my life, these were the RPGs I knew. I guess I have a long way to go.

Speaking of Skyrim, how did you play? I saw recently someone on the forum saying he is already overpowered and still without many perks, melee character if I remember it right. My play style was about about and using a bow. I mastered pickpocketing, lock picking, sneaking and using bow. I remember I could shoot a dragon down with one arrow under right and preparation. Though while exploring the land, I found Dawnguard (I think that was the name) pretty early in the game and finished that story, becoming a vampire. At some point I could darken the sun with some special arrows.
Dessimu: Amazing. I can say I love RPGs most out of all genres, but I guess I it would be wrong to say I love them overall so much. That is only because I don't have so many finished games or even tried like you. I only learned about D&D, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale games, looked at Fallout or Diablo, or Divine Divinity games ONLY after I joined GOG. Until then, I have played Gothic 2, 3 and Arcania, tried Drakensang games, finished The Witcher, played Risen 1 and 2, tasted a little bit of Two Worlds 2, finished Skyrim main story and two (official?) DLCs, dabbled a little with Elder Scrolls: Oblivion and Morrowind. I think until GOG came into my life, these were the RPGs I knew. I guess I have a long way to go.
I own all of those games except for Arcania, Drakensang, Risen 2, the Skyrim DLC and Oblivion and Morrowind. I want to get Risen 2&3, all of the Skyrim DLC, and the super-holy-shit-everything editions of Oblivion and Morrowind though.

Dessimu: Speaking of Skyrim, how did you play? I saw recently someone on the forum saying he is already overpowered and still without many perks, melee character if I remember it right. My play style was about about and using a bow. I mastered pickpocketing, lock picking, sneaking and using bow. I remember I could shoot a dragon down with one arrow under right and preparation. Though while exploring the land, I found Dawnguard (I think that was the name) pretty early in the game and finished that story, becoming a vampire. At some point I could darken the sun with some special arrows.
I played a High Elf and initially chose to do an archer+mage thing which ended up turning more into archer+thief with mage stuff coming later too little too late so I dropped the mage idea and focused on maxing out my thieving and archery abilities instead. I explored everywhere you can in the game without the DLC, did every quest and side quest including all the ones with bugs and fuckups (although I had to google constantly for console command fixes and other workarounds for the endless number of quest bugs). I encountered vampires but never encountered how to become one. Either I missed something, made a wrong decision somewhere, or it is DLC only content perhaps. Took me 650 hours to complete the game, some amount of which was dinner/sleep time but not much. I normally take about twice as long to finish games as the howlongtobeat times because I'm not in a hurry, take my time and like to really really explore and complete everything possible. I made some mistakes in Skyrim that caused me to be overburdened for a large part of the game which I feel significantly increased my completion time. Next time I play I know what I did wrong so I'll do some things differently next time and get a much shorter time, but hopefully I'll have the DLC by then too if they ever put it on a good enough sale. So far they price the game on sale, the game+DLC on sale, but if you just buy the DLC on sale or not it is more expensive than the game+DLC. Damn cocktards. Sooner or later it'll end up in a bundlestars bundle or whatever with all kinds of other crap, I can wait it out Bethesda! Muahahahahah! :)
I finally had time to play Might and Magic III again and I got my revenge on the Great Hydras under Greywind Castle. It wasn't easy to kill them all, but with the right strategy it wasn't that hard either. And each of the Hydras gave my party enough XP to level up. By now every character is around level 45 and I think that will make most of the other dungeons a lot easier.

Besides the XP I also found some Obsidian weapons in the dungeon and I equipped everybody except the Cleric and the Sorcerer with them. They can deal a lot of damage now. I just wish the accuracy of my robber and my ranger would be higher. Right now they still miss high level enemies most of the time.
Ok, you guys have convinced me to give this concept a whirl so consider this post my formal application to the club. :)

My intention: I decided that there are a number of games I've started in the past that I've never finished but I desire to finish. Some of them are shorter than others, and some I have progressed further in than others. I've decided to make my initial list of games shorter rather than all-encompassing, and to only include games that I'm either close to completing in a shorter time frame or that the entire game is shorter, intentionally leaving off games that are huge time sinks such as RPGs and other extremely lengthy games.

My intention is to focus the majority of my free gaming time on a single game that gets chosen, and attempt to complete it as per the rules/guidelines in the first post, either until I am successful or the game ends up no longer being fun or I change my mind and decide that it is not worth finishing and call it "done" however I rarely bail out of games completely once I start them, and these are all games I'd really like to complete.

Here is an initial list of 10 games I've started and not yet completed:

- <span class="bold">Blackwell Unbound</span>- <span class="bold">Damnation</span> (about 80-90% completed)
- <span class="bold">Far Cry</span> (completed 75% long ago, 50% recently, lost my save games)
- <span class="bold">Flatout</span> (completed 8/9 of first screen full of races, not sure what's left after that)
- <span class="bold">Hydrophobia Prophecy</span> (about 80-90% completed)
- <span class="bold">Half-life: Opposing Force</span> (about 33% completed, those ninja chicks suck)
- <span class="bold">Medal of Honor</span> (completed about 30-40%, stuck at forced punishment section)
- <span class="bold">Sniper: Ghost Warrior</span> (about 60-70% completed)
- <span class="bold">Star Wars: Dark Forces</span> (completed first 2 missions)
- <span class="bold">Still Life 2</span> (completed 10-15% - guestimate)
- <span class="bold">Tomb Raider 1: Unfinished Business (expansion pack)</span> (played it for a few hours)
- <span class="bold">XCOM: UFO Defense</span> (completed 70 hours, haven't made it to Mars yet)

To the best of my knowledge, all of these games qualify under the stated guidelines and I believe they all officially have an ending. If any of them do not have an ending, let me know so I can cross them off the list.

One question first though: It says members-only can choose games for other members, but there doesn't appear to be an official list of members posted anywhere. Just want to make sure random people that aren't participating in the club but are following the thread don't post challenges to members. :) Might be good to keep a list of active members somewhere in a post and link to it from the first post.

Other than that, please go easy on me. :)
Post edited February 02, 2016 by skeletonbow
skeletonbow: Ok, you guys have convinced me to give this concept a whirl so consider this post my formal application to the club. :)

- <span class="bold">Hydrophobia Prophecy</span> (about 80-90% completed)
Amazing! Welcome! Welcome! We have saved you a comfortable seat by the fire and present you a variety of finest liqueur.

I guess I am quickest to jump in here with the suggestion, but mine would be Hydrophobia Prophecy. I have heard rumors that water mechanics are supposed to be amazing in this game. Once that made me so curious that I tried the game myself. But just for a bit... My first impression was that game was good, very modern yet also quickly adaptable. Can't remember the reason I did not proceed, but it sure was not related to game being bad in any way. Actually, I think my laptop might have heated too much (as it turned out year later, there were dust covering almost everything inside). What about the story? Is it good, is it involving? What about game mechanics and controls? Have you had any trouble? Do you have some special powers later on in the game? I am honestly curious about it.

That said, please consider my recommendation to start on finishing Hydrophobia Prophecy.

Cheers!
skeletonbow: One question first though: It says members-only can choose games for other members, but there doesn't appear to be an official list of members posted anywhere. Just want to make sure random people that aren't participating in the club but are following the thread don't post challenges to members. :) Might be good to keep a list of active members somewhere in a post and link to it from the first post.
mindblast: Mindblast
seems to update the list of members and their current challenges. Here is the last one (copy-paste):

Update:
PaterAlf - Might and Magic III
Lionel212008 - Disciples 1 + 2
mindblast - Thief Gold
Hunter65536 - Torchlight 2
Tannath - Sam & Max Hit the Road
Messi_is_Messiah - Thief
Random_Coffee - Commandos
moho_00 - Silver
BruceLeeForever - Ultima 7
Dessimu - Blackguards
Nymes - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Magnitus - Mark of the Ninja

To my knowledge, the list should be updated by:
Yoshino - Fallout Tactics
Nymes - Age of Wonders
Bass47 - Chronicles of Riddick

Though I believe having it on the original post would be somewhat more effective.
Post edited February 02, 2016 by Dessimu
skeletonbow:
Dessimu: Amazing! Welcome! Welcome! We have saved you a comfortable seat by the fire and present you a variety of finest liqueur.

I guess I am quickest to jump in here with the suggestion, but mine would be Hydrophobia Prophecy. I have heard rumors that water mechanics are supposed to be amazing in this game. Once that maybe so curious that I tried the game myself. But just for a bit... My first impression was that game was good, very modern yet also quickly adaptable. Can't remember the reason I did not proceed, but it sure was not related to game being bad in any way. Actually, I think my laptop might have heated too much (as it turned out year later, there were dust covering almost everything inside). What about the story? Is it good, is it involving? What about game mechanics and controls? Have you had any trouble? Do you have some special powers later on in the game? I am honestly curious about it.

That said, please consider my recommendation to start on finishing Hydrophobia Prophecy.
Ok, Hydrophobia Prophecy it is then! I think I'm not too far from the end so that's probably something I can finish in one setting, although it's been months since I touched it. :) The water physics are indeed quite impressive. The weapons leave a bit to be desired though, and you get an "infection" of sorts that you have to take these pills for that you don't have so when they wear off you have to rush to find more quickly which I found doesn't really add anything enjoyable to the game and forces you on a timer of sorts to find them or restart from the last save until you do. It's a minor annoyance though as it's not terribly difficult to find them within a few tries. The game and story are fairly simple, and the game play consists of solving puzzles, fetching things that unlock doors essentially, or computer systems that unlock doors or other similar mechanics. You can tap into cameras in the game with this PDA thing you have, as well as using it to see hidden messages and maps on the walls. No special powers that I'm aware of however it's not clear what the end results might be of the "infection". It's been a while since I played too so I'm probably forgetting a bunch of stuff. The game is not terribly long so one could go through it in a few days depending on how fast one whizzes through these things.

Overall I think a common consensus is that the game feels more like a technology demo for the cool water physics. If you have it, it's worth giving it a shot I'd say. There's nothing that will baffle your mind for hours or anything in it, just some basic "filler" game to pass some brief time between larger more complex games that make ya think. :)

skeletonbow:
Dessimu: seems to update the list of members and their current challenges. Here is the last one (copy-paste):
<snip>
Though I believe having it on the original post would be somewhat more effective.
Thanks, yeah it'd be cool to have it in the first post or so. :)

Ok, I'll probably dive into Hydrophobia Prophecy some time in the next few days and see if I can clean the slate. :)
Started Mark of the Ninja today. I finished the first level.

In a nutshell, it's a decent production value (definitely not something 2 guys could have done in their basement) cartoonist 2D stealth game where you get to stealth kill a lot of people.

Despite Ronin being turn-based and this game being real-time, it has less action and more stealth than Ronin. It's also more linear and has a more well defined "I'll tell you what's what" storyline. So far, Ronin felt somewhat more open-handed and made me think more about my approach.

I like both games for different reasons. Couldn't help, but to draw that initial comparison as both games have a similar premise.

Will write more as I progress through the game.
Post edited February 03, 2016 by Magnitus
skeletonbow:
Dessimu:
Hydrophobia Prophecy update: Ok, I had a chance to fire the game up and try to figure out where I was in my progression. I'm in the final act (Act 3), not far from the end however this is apparently the most challenging part of the game also. I attempted it a few times but I've forgotten some of the game mechanics so I need to re-learn a bit. :) Hopefully I can hit the next checkpoint today or get lucky and finish it off. :)
Progress update on Age of Wonders
Assigned by PaterAlf

Greetings, fellow gentlemen!

I have to admit, this game is sometimes a tough nut to crack, I even thought about quitting it and starting something else. I actually had to play the very first campaign mission three times, as the AI tends to simply crush you, if you start your game in a somewhat wrong way - this can be quite frustating. I played until the third mission where I simply could not progress, as I think my main hero was far too weak.

Therefore, I started anew and have now reached mission 5 of the Keeper campaign. It took me a while to get used to the UI and the general mechanics, as the tutorial was quite lacking - but now I think I am growing into this game.
As the missions tend to be relatively long, I will consider this game finished, when I beat the Keepers campaign. I hope that will be accepted by you, PaterAlf!
Nymes: I will consider this game finished, when I beat the Keepers campaign. I hope that will be accepted by you, PaterAlf!
No problem for me. I handle it the same way. When there a several factions to play in a game, I consider it finished when I've beat the campaign with one faction.
Nymes: I will consider this game finished, when I beat the Keepers campaign. I hope that will be accepted by you, PaterAlf!
PaterAlf: No problem for me. I handle it the same way. When there a several factions to play in a game, I consider it finished when I've beat the campaign with one faction.
Glad to hear that! I will keep you updated! :-)
Assigned by PaterAlf

I found more time to play and have therefore progressed to mission 8. I have led the Dwarves to safety in times of peril, found the legendary Hall of Heroes and defended their sacred Safelands.
But now, a new evil has been awakened. The evil Cult of Storms has resurrected the slain elven King Inioch who is now seeking carnage using his undead hordes.
Yet again, I had to choose which faction I shall aid in the forthcoming struggles. My choice fell upon the Elves to join my alliance of Dwarves and Halflings. Now my goal is to stop the invasion.

I am more and more growing into this game, after getting used to the UI and the general mechanics ;-)
Now, let's see how the story might continue...
Sort of an update.

I haven't played Blackguards since my last update. Actually, haven't played any games for a while. However... When I bought last bundle from Humble, there was a game Mars: War Logs. It was the first time that I became aware of it's existence. Seemed interesting, so I redeemed and downloaded it.

My very first launch of the game was a little interrupted by gamepad being turned on. I wanted to play the game with mouse and keyboard. But at least I can say that ability to play with gamepad is integrated and well developed.

So... From the very first scenes the game caught my attention. Actually, the story did. It starts with a kid's thoughts about the ongoing war. The thing is that action takes place on colonized Mars. All was well until somehow a disaster occurred - the planet shifted (on) it's axis. That resulted in a massive part of Mars being scorched by the Sun. Many have died, some were affected and became... You could say mutated, but another word could be disfigured. Those are called Dust and are treated badly in the society and abused for work. After the accident on the planet, guilds that provided water and shade became strongest. They became the new rulers. In time, people got greedy, guilds started to fight one another for more power and war began to rage. You, as hero, want freedom. And get involved in the story of freeing other people from corrupt government.

So the story starts with kid's thoughts on the war and overall situation as he is transported to some place (I shall try to avoid spoilers). I was very surprised to learn things about the main hero and this was just a beginning of the game, just a visual scene. Talking about the hero, he feels unique. Not just some guy in some game, who runs around and does stuff. He has strong personality. Which, by the way, you, as a player, are affecting a lot. What I mean is that choices matter.

Speaking of choices, game is very rich. Dialogs offer a different approach to any situation - you can act as caring and kind hearted person or you can be an asshole, or you can stay neutral. There are situations however, where you are to make important decisions that lead to either life or death. What I also liked about dialogs is that when you choose an answer, it is written short, just so you could get an idea and a feeling of what and how you are talking. The actual talking then is very rich so you are highly unlikely to skip any dialog. There is also a romance involved in the game. Basically you have a choice to get involved with one of three women. But with who... Depends on your dialog choices and even a faction that you choose to support later in the game. You can expect everything here - having to make a compromise, smart decisions, being betrayed, seeking justice... Amazing.

To sum up what I said there ^, I simply love the story. It is rich and involving. One more interesting thing is that one of the guilds are giving virtue name's as normal names for it's people, soldiers. Like... If my real name was Jake, then in the guild I would only be known as Wisdom. Or Temperance. Or Humility. It is interesting because you get involved with such people a lot and you already base your views on their name. Though by any chance, I do not mean that virtue name always represents exactly what kind of person he/she is.

One more important thing in the game is reputation. In the world of Mars: War Logs, serum is the currency. I can't tell exactly, what serum is, but... You can buy things from merchants for serum. You can sell for serum. You can make health injections (like health potions) from serum or you can make fluid injections (like mana potions) from serum. You can get serum from completing quests and side quests, you can find serum while scavenging or... And this is where reputation becomes important. Or you can extract serum from your defeated enemies (humans and Dust only). Here is the catch: when you defeat an enemy in combat, he is no longer a threat, he is defeated and lying on the ground. But still alive! If you extract serum from this foe, you kill him for good. Extracting serum and thus, killing people, earns you bad reputation. And it is almost impossible to get your rep to good (rep stages are "bad", "neutral", "good", "excellent"). Having reached any stage of rep (except neutral) gives you a specific perk. If you are bad, you get additional choice in certain dialogs to intimidate people, which helps a lot to avoid difficult fights. And it's fun. Also, since you are most likely to become bad for killing enemies and extracting serum, you would feel rather rich. If you are good, all prices at all merchants are cut by 50%. Excellent rep gives your companion (yes, you may play alone or you may have companion with you (I do not mean a multiplayer or co-op)) 50-100% more health and damage dealt.

I was bad. No regrets.

You have an interesting skill tree. Foes are able to "adapt" to your fighting style, so you are unable to just bash your mouse mindlessly. Combat is fun really. Once you understand how each enemy fights, you may even create a situation where enemies damage or kill one another.

One last thing I love about the game (from many that I didn't even begin to describe (there is a crafting system)) would be that each chapter is finished/started with a pretty much thorough and very interesting summarization, based on your choices. And the end of a game is most interesting of all. You get to know about your feelings, about the current political situation, about your regrets, about your companions, about the future. You really get a feeling that the end was worth playing for.

So, yeah... Long text. But I am happy. I am amazed by the game and it's quality. I can also say that I am going to play the game one more time, trying to get and keep excellent reputation, choosing different faction, choosing different lover, paying a bit more attention where I hadn't payed earlier.

And then I shall get back to Blackguards.

Cheers!
Dessimu:
Well done! Seems like you had a great time playing an interesting game. Time well spent! You can still return to Blackguards when your time permits it :)
But judging from the screenshots I found, this is not a game my system can handle... sadly. :(

In the meanwhile...
Assigned by PaterAlf

So I have finished the campaign with the Keepers and I must say it was a worthwhile experience. While graphically outdated, equipped with a clumsy UI, an extremly lacking tutorial and definite balancing issues Age of Wonders was still worth my time. I think I spent somewhat around 30, maybe 40 hours with it.

But there is still a lot to do left for later sessions. The campaign branches at two points, when you have to decide which faction to support - so I am assuming there will be different endings for those. In addition, I can still play the campaign with the evil Cult of Storms or try one of the scenarios.

Thank you, Pater Alf, as this was a very good second pick! I will definitely come back to this title and gives its sequels a try.

Nevertheless, on to the next game! Please gentlemen, make a choice!
GOG Games:
- Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Complete
- Bastion
- Battle Realms Complete
- Caesar 3
- Cities in Motion Complete
- Fallout 1
- Hotline Miami 2 - Wrong Number
- MDK 1
- Nexus - The Jupiter Incident
- Odallus - The Dark Call
- Planescape Torment