It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Havinge a couple issues with ToME... Firstly, I get the following error whenever the game starts: “Tales of Maj'Eyal Main Menu” is not responding. And the game gets stuck on loading screens untiI hit the meta key and go to Gnome Shell activites screen. Neither problem is game breaking, but are annoying nonetheless.

Manjaro Gnome AMD64

RX 480 with Mesa 17.0.2
Post edited April 10, 2017 by king_mosiah
king_mosiah: Havinge a couple issues with ToME... Firstly, I get the following error whenever the game starts: “Tales of Maj'Eyal Main Menu” is not responding. And the game gets stuck on loading screens untiI hit the meta key and go to Gnome Shell activites screen. Neither problem is game breaking, but are annoying nonetheless.

Manjaro Gnome AMD64

RX 480 with Mesa 17.0.2
Are you still getting this with version 1.5.3 of the game?
FYI: Planescape Torment EE is using obsolete libssl1.0.0:i386 which is missing in Debian testing. You'd need to copy it from Jessie (libssl.so.1.0.0 and libcrypto.so.1.0.0) and bundle with the game and modify start.sh to load it with LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

And... The game crashes on startup. I'm almost sure it's LFS issue, and I warned developers about it. I'll test in a loop image.

UPDATE: Yep, confirmed. I don't get it. Why couldn't they just build it with LFS enabled??? It's a single compiler switch. Especially after they saw the bug report already, and even GOL asked them about this issue in an interview...

GOG: did you remind them about this issue? Please do it for all cases when developers are releasing 32-bit version only. Really, it should be a standard practice for a long time already.
Post edited April 13, 2017 by shmerl
shmerl: FYI: Planescape Torment EE is using obsolete libssl1.0.0:i386 which is missing in Debian testing. You'd need to copy it from Jessie (libcrypto.so.1.0.0 and libcrypto.so.1.0.0) and bundle with the game and modify start.sh to load it with LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
curios ...
at least on arch and gentoo the latest openssl 1.0.2 release still gives you libcrypto.so-1.0.0, while on debian it gives you libcrypto.so-1.0.2, thus creating an error for everything depending on libcrypto.so-1.0.0.
weird ...
I don't recall any ABI breakage that would require a soname bump.
shmerl: FYI: Planescape Torment EE is using obsolete libssl1.0.0:i386 which is missing in Debian testing. You'd need to copy it from Jessie (libcrypto.so.1.0.0 and libcrypto.so.1.0.0) and bundle with the game and modify start.sh to load it with LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
immi101: curios ...
at least on arch and gentoo the latest openssl 1.0.2 release still gives you libcrypto.so-1.0.0, while on debian it gives you libcrypto.so-1.0.2, thus creating an error for everything depending on libcrypto.so-1.0.0.
weird ...
I'm not sure why they removed it, but I suppose there was ABI breakage, and they decided not to support 1.0.0 at all anymore.
immi101: curios ...
weird ...
shmerl: I'm not sure why they removed it, but I suppose there was ABI breakage, and they decided not to support 1.0.0 at all anymore.
seems to be a "debian thing":
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=768476
they changed the soname version after removing SSLv3 support. But this version exists only on debian.

Even ubuntu seems to have dropped that change and stuck to 1.0.0 as far as I can tell.
The upstream package compiles to libcrypto.so-1.0.0 as well.

meanwhile Fedora does their own custom patching as well and ships libcrypto.so.10
ugh, messy ...
who needs cross-distro compatibility anyway, right ? :p

maybe the transition to openssl 1.1 won't take years and everybody ends up on the same page again.
or people should just stop using openssl. it only brings pain and misery ;)
and loads of security bugs :o

edit:
if the game isn't using SSLv3 directly (and i'm not missing anything), you might get away with just symlinking libcrypto.so-1.0.2 to libcrypto.so-1.0.0
Post edited April 13, 2017 by immi101
king_mosiah: Havinge a couple issues with ToME... Firstly, I get the following error whenever the game starts: “Tales of Maj'Eyal Main Menu” is not responding. And the game gets stuck on loading screens untiI hit the meta key and go to Gnome Shell activites screen. Neither problem is game breaking, but are annoying nonetheless.

Manjaro Gnome AMD64

RX 480 with Mesa 17.0.2
JudasIscariot: Are you still getting this with version 1.5.3 of the game?
Yes.
immi101: if the game isn't using SSLv3 directly (and i'm not missing anything), you might get away with just symlinking libcrypto.so-1.0.2 to libcrypto.so-1.0.0
That's a good idea, I'll give it a try. I wonder why it's using SSL to begin with. May be for their network client?
Well, it seems that only 32-bit packages have this issue, and there is 64-bit libcrypto.so.1.0.0 and libssl.so.1.0.0. And Beamdog are going to release the game in 64-bit proper with the next update. You can already get the binary here.

Now I'm getting trouble with missing libjson.so.0 though. You need libjson-c2 for that, and it's missing. Again, taking it from Jessie and bundling helps (you need to rename the file to libjson.so.0).
Post edited April 13, 2017 by shmerl
Nemesis44UK: Okay, judging by comments here, maybe I'd be better off sticking with Mint. I've only been working with computers for 25 years, but it is difficult to wrap my head around this, especially when it SHOULD be working.

I will set up my Mint computer a bit later and try again, making sure I have it with me as I'm typing.

Many thanks to all for your assistance, it's really appreciated.
ssokolow: To be honest, this situation has me really annoyed because I feel like I should be able to help... but I have no experience with Mint's file manager because I got into Linux early enough that, by the time Mint got invented, I was happily using stuff much further on the power-user/greybeard end of the "ease of use vs. light on system resources" spectrum.

That said, two things I'd suggest are:

1. if you don't mind installing a second file manager for testing purposes, that's one thing you could try to narrow down where the problem is. If another file manager works, you know it's something in the desktop.

(Not necessarily the file manager, because some desktops spit up the responsibilities. For example, KDE is made of a whole bunch of pieces communicating over D-Bus.)

I use PCManFM and, when I double-click an executable .sh file, it pops up a dialog with "Execute", "Execute in Terminal", "Open", and "Cancel" buttons. (I've attached a screenshot as an example.)

2. As part of the "Is it plugged in?" checking:

a. Copy and paste the exact permissions the file has (run `ls -l` in a terminal in the folder containing it and look at the left-most column) here as part of the "Is it plugged in?" checking.

On mine, that'd be this example line:
-rwxrwxr-x 1 ssokolow ssokolow 51M Apr 29 2016 gog_bit_trip_beat_2.0.0.1.sh

b. Run `mount` in a terminal, find the line with the longest matching prefix for the folder containing the installer, and confirm that it doesn't contain "noexec" in the parentheses at the end.

On mine, that'd be this line:
/dev/sdh1 on /mnt/buffalo_ext type ext4 (rw)

c. If you don't want to install a second file manager, you could instead try running it in the terminal by typing or pasting the full path to it, case-sensitive. If that works, that also indicates that it's something in the desktop.

(NOTE: If you don't want to use the full path, you have to prefix things in the current directory with ./ to tell the system that you're not expecting a command searched up from the PATH. That's another protection against exploits based on social engineering.)
Hi,

Thanks for all your good advice. I installed PCManFM and after a bit of jiggery pokery, it opened both of my executable files without issue. You solved it for me, so thank you very much.

My question is, can I remove the original file manager (Thunar?) and just have PCManFM as my standalone file manager?
Nemesis44UK: My question is, can I remove the original file manager (Thunar?) and just have PCManFM as my standalone file manager?
Why not? Thunar is asocciated with XFCE while PCManFM is basically the core component of LXDE. They are completely independent and "standalone".
Post edited April 21, 2017 by Alm888
Nemesis44UK: Hi,

Thanks for all your good advice. I installed PCManFM and after a bit of jiggery pokery, it opened both of my executable files without issue. You solved it for me, so thank you very much.

My question is, can I remove the original file manager (Thunar?) and just have PCManFM as my standalone file manager?
That breaks down into three question:

1. Does Thunar serve any other purposes besides being the file manager?

Not that I'm aware of. While LXDE uses PCManFM for both the file manager and the desktop-drawing (via the --desktop, --desktop-off, and --desktop-pref options), Xfce has xfdesktop for doing desktop drawing.

2. Does Xfce support setting something other than Thunar as the file manager?

I haven't used Xfce in a very long time, but it should. These days, most things which need to look up the file manager do it via the file-type association on a special "inode/directory" mimetype.

Also, check your control panels. For example, KDE 4 (which I'm still on) hasn't fully switched over and uses that and their old approach of having an entry in the control panel for selecting preferred applications for various roles.

(Tip: For other file-association situations, such as the last time I used Skype, an application may not be obeying your account preferences at all. Under Debian-family distros, there's an extra layer of system-wide defaults controlled by the update-alternatives command.)

3. Does your package manager support removing just part of a desktop?

Xfce is typically installed by installing a metapackage which depends on all of the pieces. In the worst case scenario, removing Thunar could remove the metapackage, which could then cause your package manager to suggest that the entire desktop is no longer necessary and should be removed.

You have two options:

1. Uninstall Thunar, then change the status on all of the remaining Xfce packages from "pulled in as a dependency" to "manually requested". This has the downside that, if the desktop ever adds a new package, it may not get pulled in.

2. Create a fake, empty Thunar package with a really high version number and then upgrade to it. (On Debian-family distros, the "equivs" package provides "equivs-control" to generate a draft package definition and then "equivs-build" to generate a package from it after you've edited it.)
Post edited April 22, 2017 by ssokolow
Nemesis44UK: Hi,

ssokolow: That breaks down into three question:

1. Does Thunar serve any other purposes besides being the file manager?

Not that I'm aware of. While LXDE uses PCManFM for both the file manager and the desktop-drawing (via the --desktop, --desktop-off, and --desktop-pref options), Xfce has xfdesktop for doing desktop drawing.

2. Does Xfce support setting something other than Thunar as the file manager?

I haven't used Xfce in a very long time, but it should. These days, most things which need to look up the file manager do it via the file-type association on a special "inode/directory" mimetype.

Also, check your control panels. For example, KDE 4 (which I'm still on) hasn't fully switched over and uses that and their old approach of having an entry in the control panel for selecting preferred applications for various roles.

(Tip: For other file-association situations, such as the last time I used Skype, an application may not be obeying your account preferences at all. Under Debian-family distros, there's an extra layer of system-wide defaults controlled by the update-alternatives command.)

3. Does your package manager support removing just part of a desktop?

Xfce is typically installed by installing a metapackage which depends on all of the pieces. In the worst case scenario, removing Thunar could remove the metapackage, which could then cause your package manager to suggest that the entire desktop is no longer necessary and should be removed.

You have two options:

1. Uninstall Thunar, then change the status on all of the remaining Xfce packages from "pulled in as a dependency" to "manually requested". This has the downside that, if the desktop ever adds a new package, it may not get pulled in.

2. Create a fake, empty Thunar package with a really high version number and then upgrade to it. (On Debian-family distros, the "equivs" package provides "equivs-control" to generate a draft package definition and then "equivs-build" to generate a package from it after you've edited it.)
Many thanks for your comprehensive reply, which was spot on. You have covered a lot of things which I haven't even considered. It is painfully obvious that I need to invest in at least a couple of books and try to educate myself. The sheer flexibility of Linux is conversely the thing that may switch off a lot of would-be users.

It's very interesting to me and I'm enjoying the learning curve!

Thanks for your help.
Nemesis44UK: Many thanks for your comprehensive reply, which was spot on. You have covered a lot of things which I haven't even considered. It is painfully obvious that I need to invest in at least a couple of books and try to educate myself. The sheer flexibility of Linux is conversely the thing that may switch off a lot of would-be users.

It's very interesting to me and I'm enjoying the learning curve!

Thanks for your help.
Happy to help. :)

Feel free to ask if there's anything else you're wondering about.
bonjour j'aimerai acheter un jeux mais je ne sais pas comment faire après l'avoir payer une personne pourrais m'aider ?
Post edited April 29, 2017 by Tarzou3009