It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

^ In the Deep Silver case I think the GOG quality control actually makes sense. :)
Post edited June 17, 2016 by Daliz
low rated
gog dienied me to make new thread
post work, this was test
Post edited June 17, 2016 by tralala123
tralala123: gog dienied me to make new thread
post work, this was test
Probably because your reputation score is -6.
low rated
tralala123: gog dienied me to make new thread
post work, this was test
ssokolow: Probably because your reputation score is -6.
NO, because i say bad words about CDPOJECT :), BUT, yes, this is other , reputatuon :)

i am plauying from 30 years games, i see ALL GREAT RPG IN MU LIFE. wticher 2 and 3 are not pc games, thiey are fuckiung porrts .1111111111111111 GOG Anad CDPROJECT LIE YOU !!!!!!!!!! The only gfeaat witcher is 1 , with hight camera and pauza, everything lese is fucking port

PS . i start chat for first wtme with +9, ppls dont like my oponiuym, so, now have -6, NOBODY care :)

LIsten this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

Anyone know what is the cover ? ifor me is not a problem to paste it :).
ssokolow: Probably because your reputation score is -6.
tralala123: NO, because i say bad words about CDPOJECT :), BUT, yes, this is other , reputatuon :)

i am plauying from 30 years games, i see ALL GREAT RPG IN MU LIFE. wticher 2 and 3 are not pc games, thiey are fuckiung porrts .1111111111111111 GOG Anad CDPROJECT LIE YOU !!!!!!!!!! The only gfeaat witcher is 1 , with hight camera and pauza, everything lese is fucking port

PS . i start chat for first wtme with +9, ppls dont like my oponiuym, so, now have -6, NOBODY care :)

LIsten this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

Anyone know what is the cover ? ifor me is not a problem to paste it :).
No thanks. If you can't at least try to write good English, I see no reason to believe that your video would be worth my time.
low rated
blah

OK, this was test, still cdfproject not ban me from the forum ...blah ...

tube - Kiss - Lick It Up

THis is the song :)
tralala123: blah

OK, this was test, still cdfproject not ban me from the forum ...blah ...

tube - Kiss - Lick It Up

THis is the song :)
Actually, your link goes to "Europe - The Final Countdown (Official Video)".

Good song. I actually discovered it via a MIDI file back on my old 486. (Given how much synth it uses, the translation to MIDI worked out well.)

As for Kiss, I never really got into them. Here are a few 80s songs that I preferred:
- Iron Maiden... too many songs to list in any decade, but try 2 Minutes to Midnight and Run To The Hills.
- Princes of the Universe by Queen.
- Slade - Run Runaway
- Twisted Sister - We're Not Gonna Take It
- Men at Work - Down Under
- Bon Jovi songs like Livin' On A Prayer, You Give Love a Bad Name, and Shot Through The Heart.
- a-ha - Take On Me (awesome music video)
- Great Big Sea's cover of REM's 1980 song "It's The End of the World As We Know It (and I Feel Fine)"
- Roxette - Fading Like A Flower
Post edited June 18, 2016 by ssokolow
Okay, I have Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 32bit desktop version running on an old Acer Aspire 5315 with 2GB RAM and 1.7Ghz Intel dual-core processor. All GOG.com Linux installers that I've tested so far completely kill the operating system when run and I have to shutdown using the power button. When I say kill I mean it becomes 100% unresponsive, if there is music playing it stops, desktop freezes, mouse/keyboard don't work etc. Once the operating system managed to reboot by itself in some form of halt & catch fire style, but usually it's power button time.

Installers I've tried (yes, with chmod +x <pkgname> and both by command line './<pkgname>' and running by clicking from Nautilus):

- Teslagrad: gog_teslagrad_2.1.0.3.sh
- TIS-100: gog_tis_100_2.0.0.3.sh
- Darkest Dungeon: gog_darkest_dungeon_2.3.0.3.sh
- else Heart.Break(): gog_else_heart_break_2.6.0.9.sh
- Serpent in the Staglands: gog_serpent_in_the_staglands_2.11.0.16.sh

I would like to know what's going on? Are the installers incompatible with 32bit systems or what? Am I missing something from my operating system? I haven't installed anything specific after the main Ubuntu install with all the proprietary packages, like external drivers, mp3 support etc. included. Seriously, I can't even install TIS-100 (a 37Mb or so installer package) without killing my computer. I remember trying GOG.com games on a 64bit Ubuntu 15.04 Linux last summer when they still used .deb packages (if I remember correctly) for install and the games installed without problems (I installed and played at least Teslagrad, Apotheon [gamepad didn't work with this, though], Shadowrun: Dragonfall, TIS-100, Rogue Legacy, but of course it was a different computer and different story).

I'm grateful for any help!
ZeldaMarioHordak: Okay, I have Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 32bit desktop version running on an old Acer Aspire 5315 with 2GB RAM and 1.7Ghz Intel dual-core processor. All GOG.com Linux installers that I've tested so far completely kill the operating system when run and I have to shutdown using the power button. When I say kill I mean it becomes 100% unresponsive, if there is music playing it stops, desktop freezes, mouse/keyboard don't work etc. Once the operating system managed to reboot by itself in some form of halt & catch fire style, but usually it's power button time.

Installers I've tried (yes, with chmod +x <pkgname> and both by command line './<pkgname>' and running by clicking from Nautilus):

- Teslagrad: gog_teslagrad_2.1.0.3.sh
- TIS-100: gog_tis_100_2.0.0.3.sh
- Darkest Dungeon: gog_darkest_dungeon_2.3.0.3.sh
- else Heart.Break(): gog_else_heart_break_2.6.0.9.sh
- Serpent in the Staglands: gog_serpent_in_the_staglands_2.11.0.16.sh

I would like to know what's going on? Are the installers incompatible with 32bit systems or what? Am I missing something from my operating system? I haven't installed anything specific after the main Ubuntu install with all the proprietary packages, like external drivers, mp3 support etc. included. Seriously, I can't even install TIS-100 (a 37Mb or so installer package) without killing my computer. I remember trying GOG.com games on a 64bit Ubuntu 15.04 Linux last summer when they still used .deb packages (if I remember correctly) for install and the games installed without problems (I installed and played at least Teslagrad, Apotheon [gamepad didn't work with this, though], Shadowrun: Dragonfall, TIS-100, Rogue Legacy, but of course it was a different computer and different story).

I'm grateful for any help!
It would be very strange indeed if merely running the installer caused a systemic meltdown inherently (i.e., as a result of an incompatibility between the installer and the OS), especially since you should not be running GOG game installers as root and I'm not aware of any unprivileged-user exploitable DOS vulnerabilities in the current Linux kernel (if there were, it would probably get fixed PDQ anyway because of the security implications, given how many shared hosting systems depend on Linux; besides, your kernel is still running, as the watchdog timer is apparently doing its job. It's your userspace that's hung).

The installers should not be incompatible with 32-bit systems either seeing that most of the Linux games are 32-bit to begin with (indeed, on 64-bit systems, you normally have to install 32-bit libraries in order to install GoG Linux games).

My guess is that you're running out of your system resources, which appear to be extremely limited - especially your RAM (you've only got 2GB and the 5315 appears to use integrated Intel graphics which means some of that is actually being allocated to graphics, so you have even less than that). Three questions:

* Have you tried holding Alt+SysRQ and typing REISUB when you're hung? If that works, your kernel's definitely still running so it's 100% a user space hang issue.

* Do you have any swap space at all on the system? If not, you're almost certainly running out of memory, which is likely causing unpredictable behaviour and process crashes, which would explain the system no longer responding. With 2GB you should probably have 4-6GB or so of swap; things will still be slow as you'll be swapping a lot but you shouldn't hang completely as before.

* Have you tried a lighter desktop environment? Ubuntu defaults to Unity which is a rather heavy DE in terms of resource usage. GNOME, MATE, Cinnamon, and KDE are similarly demanding; on such a low end system I'd suggest trying a lightweight DE like LXDE or XFCE, which will use a lot less system resources (don't worry, applications will still work as long as you have their dependencies installed - you don't have to be in a KDE session to run Qt apps, nor a Unity/GNOME session to run Gtk+ ones).
AurelianDragon: * Have you tried holding Alt+SysRQ and typing REISUB when you're hung? If that works, your kernel's definitely still running so it's 100% a user space hang issue.

* Do you have any swap space at all on the system? If not, you're almost certainly running out of memory, which is likely causing unpredictable behaviour and process crashes, which would explain the system no longer responding. With 2GB you should probably have 4-6GB or so of swap; things will still be slow as you'll be swapping a lot but you shouldn't hang completely as before.

* Have you tried a lighter desktop environment? Ubuntu defaults to Unity which is a rather heavy DE in terms of resource usage. GNOME, MATE, Cinnamon, and KDE are similarly demanding; on such a low end system I'd suggest trying a lightweight DE like LXDE or XFCE, which will use a lot less system resources (don't worry, applications will still work as long as you have their dependencies installed - you don't have to be in a KDE session to run Qt apps, nor a Unity/GNOME session to run Gtk+ ones).
Thank you for your detailed reply!

To answer your questions:

1. Yes. Alt+SysRQ+REISUB seems to still shutdown the computer.
2. Yes. 2GB swap memory was installed by the default Ubuntu installation.
3. No.

In addition, I have verified I have "en_US" locale installed that is used by the GOG.com installer script, and I have installed the package "gtk2-engines-pixbuf" that is also required by the installer. After these procedures, this is what I get when I run the TIS-100 installer from the command line (in the case the operating system manages to recover from the freeze without shutdown):

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing TIS-100 (GOG.com) 100%
Collecting info for this system...
Operating system: linux
CPU Arch: x86
trying mojosetup in bin/linux/x86
USING en_US
Killed
Error: Couldn't run mojosetup

Here is an example of how the "top" command looked after one event of a failed attempt to install TIS-100 (also, when the operating system managed to recover without shutdown):

top - 09:59:37 up 8 min, 1 user, load average: 0.18, 1.13, 0.77
Tasks: 192 total, 1 running, 191 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
%Cpu(s): 2.5 us, 1.5 sy, 0.0 ni, 95.8 id, 0.2 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st
KiB Mem : 2052612 total, 1073820 free, 437292 used, 541500 buff/cache
KiB Swap: 2084860 total, 2084636 free, 224 used. 1145268 avail Mem

...doesn't seem to me like the memory was that big an issue, since not much data has been written to the swap memory at least?
AurelianDragon: * Have you tried holding Alt+SysRQ and typing REISUB when you're hung? If that works, your kernel's definitely still running so it's 100% a user space hang issue.

ZeldaMarioHordak: Thank you for your detailed reply!

To answer your questions:

1. Yes. Alt+SysRQ+REISUB seems to still shutdown the computer.
2. Yes. 2GB swap memory was installed by the default Ubuntu installation.
3. No.

In addition, I have verified I have "en_US" locale installed that is used by the GOG.com installer script, and I have installed the package "gtk2-engines-pixbuf" that is also required by the installer. After these procedures, this is what I get when I run the TIS-100 installer from the command line (in the case the operating system manages to recover from the freeze without shutdown):

USING en_US
Killed

Here is an example of how the "top" command looked after one event of a failed attempt to install TIS-100 (also, when the operating system managed to recover without shutdown):

top - 09:59:37 up 8 min, 1 user, load average: 0.18, 1.13, 0.77
Tasks: 192 total, 1 running, 191 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
%Cpu(s): 2.5 us, 1.5 sy, 0.0 ni, 95.8 id, 0.2 wa, 0.0 hi, 0.0 si, 0.0 st
KiB Mem : 2052612 total, 1073820 free, 437292 used, 541500 buff/cache
KiB Swap: 2084860 total, 2084636 free, 224 used. 1145268 avail Mem

...doesn't seem to me like the memory was that big an issue, since not much data has been written to the swap memory at least?
While GOG technical support will only address errors in the game itself if installed normally, you can usually just unzip the installer and the data/noarch/ directory will be what would get installed. (I do this all the time because it's scriptable and avoids cluttering up my system launcher with icons that I'd rather have only in an experimental game launcher I've been meaning to get back to working on.)

TIS-100 is one game I installed that way without issue.

(NOTE: Some GUI archiving tools are too smart for their own good and you may need to rename the installer to .zip first. The command-line unzip utility just works and Ark will pop up an "Autodetect failed. Please tell me" dialog where you can pick Zip.)
Post edited June 24, 2016 by ssokolow
ZeldaMarioHordak: (also, when the operating system managed to recover without shutdown):
Have you ruled out hardware faults, e.g. failing hard drive (smartmontools)? Doesn't sound like a RAM issue, but that's easy to test.
Post edited June 25, 2016 by Gydion
ZeldaMarioHordak: In addition, I have verified I have "en_US" locale installed that is used by the GOG.com installer script, and I have installed the package "gtk2-engines-pixbuf" that is also required by the installer. After these procedures, this is what I get when I run the TIS-100 installer from the command line (in the case the operating system manages to recover from the freeze without shutdown):

USING en_US
Killed
have you checked 'dmesg'?
if the process was killed by the system, there should be some mentioning of it in the logs somewhere

to see if this freeze is caused by some weird interaction between installer/gtk/x-server/gfx card, you could try to run the console version by unsetting the DISPLAY variable before running the installer, like:

DISPLAY= bash gog_tis_100_2.0.0.3.sh
I know this isn't the solution for the installer issues but you can manually extract the game files using the command: unzip -d "FolderName" gog_gamename.sh

When it's done go to the folder where you extracted the game, open the folder named data > inside you will find a folder named "noarch". That's where the game files are, you can rename that folder and move it to wherever you please, the other files can be deleted.

Personally I always install GOG games this way, never had any problems so far.
Post edited June 25, 2016 by Ganni1987
Thank you everyone for help!

The manual unzip method was the solution, so it seems GOG Linux team still has some work to do with their installer.

However, I faced a new setback when from the above mentioned games only TIS-100 and Teslagrad actually worked. Darkest Dungeon and Serpent in the Staglands played the intro cinematics and main menu, but crashed back to desktop when the gameplay was supposed to begin. Else Heart.Break() didn't even start, but just created an empty document titled "��B@��@8 (invalid encoding)", but I guess these problems are another issue, which could involve the outdated (graphics above else) hardware of my computer, although Serpent in the Staglands worked earlier on the same computer running Windows Vista, but I didn't really even expect Darkest Dungeon to run on this computer.

Hopefully, someday I can install Linux on a better computer. I've wanted to become a Linux gamer for years and wish more games from my GOG Library would have Linux versions too.