It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Pangaea666: Installed Wine with "wine-installer", which was stated as the recommended way. However, as suspected, this only gave me the very outdated version (currently 5.0.3) of Wine. So now I need to figure out how to clean out the thing, and try again. Things aren't easy when you don't know what to do most of the time :-/
Try Lutris.
It's more manageable while also comes with a great convenient added benefit of portability of Wine and DXVK versions - it downloads them and keeps them in it's own dirs instead of spoiling system-wide pool of those with "libraries variation extravaganza".
B1tF1ghter: Try Lutris.
It's more manageable while also comes with a great convenient added benefit of portability of Wine and DXVK versions - it downloads them and keeps them in it's own dirs instead of spoiling system-wide pool of those with "libraries variation extravaganza".
Yes, Lutris is excellent. Not used it much lately due to prioritising native Linux games, plus those excellent scripts by Adam.

As for that blasted Witcher 3 mod manager... I gave up on it. Wouldn't run natively, and there were problems in Wine too (kept nagging about not being allowed in the game folder, no matter where I put it). Seems like doing it manually was faster and easier, ironically enough. That said, whatever I had setup a year or two ago will just have to suffice, as I don't want to go through that whole thing again just to update a few mods with probably minimal changes.
Tested today's THIEF release. Works fine in Wine.

Only override I had to do add was 'd3dcompiler_43' to native. :-)
Attachments:
01.jpg (464 Kb)
02.jpg (467 Kb)
Ganni1987: Tested today's THIEF release. Works fine in Wine.

Only override I had to do add was 'd3dcompiler_43' to native. :-)
Well this is troubleshooting and not "success reporting" thread.
But whatever.
I suggest you create dedicated thread in game's sub-forum to cater for any user reports for this specific installments. Just don't get sloppy with installment clarity - imo you should issue release year (next to game name) in thread title for clarity and visibility.
Something like "Theif YEAR Linux reports" or such.

Nitpick:
your level of report details is scarce and quite insufficient to be really worthwhile.
You should add more details than that for this to be at least somewhat usable ;)
B1tF1ghter: Well this is troubleshooting and not "success reporting" thread.
But whatever.
I think if something is a known workaround, posting here isn't a bad idea. It helps others avoid the same issue. Though there is a thread for Wine games specifically as well.
Post edited June 10, 2021 by shmerl
low rated
B1tF1ghter: Well this is troubleshooting and not "success reporting" thread.
But whatever.
shmerl: I think if something is a known workaround, posting here isn't a bad idea. It helps others avoid the same issue. Though there is a thread for Wine games specifically as well.
It could if it would be specific enough.
Here it is a case of heavy underreporting with very casual drop of what is considered some of THE MOST basic winetricks overrides.

If it would be supposed to be ACTUALLY helpful it should provide further details to rule out a possibility that the person in question just lucked out with dependencies and workarounds already installed/done before (especially if wineprefix is not clean, which in this case was neither confirmed nor ruled-out so could be either).

And the "dx 43" is so basic that it's a "go to 101" for troubleshooting.
It was a VERY common thing to look for before dxvk was a thing.

So, Shmerl, I DO see your point, and I did understand that before you posted it.
It's just that people do underhanded reports that are USELESS and when someone even puts something SO BASIC (like dx 43 override) in a report tbh I don't know if I should laugh, cringe, or be angry.
By all means such a report is not sufficient.
It provides NO info on matters such as (and these are JUST EXAMPLES, there's many more than this):
- wineprefix clean or not
- were helpers used or not (example: Lutris)
- OS
- was the GPU driver git or repo, if repo, WHICH ONE (testing, etc)
- distro
- kernel version
- does kernel have fsync support
- gpu EXACT model (gpu family [example: Polaris] is not precise enough)
- system language (yes, this is VERY relevant, majority of games will fail to work if there's no "en_US" already available in the system, and some others crap out majorly when tried with asian locales)

Giving "dx 43 override" as a hint is somewhat laughable - it's the basics of the basics - the only people who don't know about it are the ones that JUST got into Wine.

So no, I don't see this report as "helpful".
If it would be then putting it here would MAYBE be justified.
But it's just not.
It's just a bit overgrown "works for me".

Hope you understand my point Shmerl.
high rated
I think posting a workaround is more useful than discussing at length whether posting the workaround is useful.
Pangaea666: I think posting a workaround is more useful than discussing at length whether posting the workaround is useful.
it is only useful if someone who needs it can actually find it where it should be
I may be posting old information, but has anyone tried Dosbox-x? It looks promising, though it does not specify which linux distros it supports.

https://dosbox-x.com/
Thulcedoom: I may be posting old information, but has anyone tried Dosbox-x? It looks promising, though it does not specify which linux distros it supports.

https://dosbox-x.com/
I looked into dosbox-staging which is promising too.
low rated
lol people *are* confused even re simple stuff
Anyone else having issues with Linux POP OS?
synapseroblox: Anyone else having issues with Linux POP OS?
You'll have to be a bit more specific regarding what issues you're asking about :)
low rated
#metoo!

me too having an issue with the fact there's a swarm of distros all pulling in diff directions (while 90% are serving the same or similar purposes). and popos is one of them. though if it's just an ubuntu with a few 3rd party repos tacked on - it's kinda the right way to do it. CBA to check out tho.
Post edited June 30, 2021 by osm
osm: #metoo!

me too having an issue with the fact there's a swarm of distros all pulling in diff directions (while 90% are serving the same or similar purposes). and popos is one of them.
Well, the choice exists for a reason.
Same for the differences.
Diversity isn't a bad thing.
And even tho, *technically* you can *pretty much* use "any" (well sort of) distro for gaming with enough manual effort put into reworking it and crafting whatever you want from it, not every distro is meant for gaming, let alone equally ready for it ootb.
Not every distro is equally ready for the task, and not making enough research beforehand and then complaining is kind of... I don't know... "unprofessional" could perhaps be the right word, the "I am not mad, just dissappointed" kind.
Don't get me wrong.
Linux can be used by newcomers.
But don't expect Windows level of "ootb readiness" for EVERYTHING.
You will have to put an actual effort into learning SOME new things, doing SOME work, making sure to properly maintain things too.
There's a whole slew of distros out there with a whole world of differing opportunities.
Your milage will vary.
But there is no such thing as "distro perfect ootb for EVERY user".
You will have to make your choices, informed ones at that, and sacrifises, don't get overblown expectations, make sure you do due dilligence and research things properly before:
1.Complaining (remember, YOU chose distro Q or Z)
2.Asking for help (info is *usually* already available somewhere, asking people to hand it over to you on a silver plate is usually a rude way of saying you don't care about others' time and you don't want to actually put your own effort into finding what's already available)
That's my tip for any new person coming other to Linux ;)

osm: though if it's just an ubuntu with a few 3rd party repos tacked on - it's kinda the right way to do it.
I would personally very strongly disagree.
Not to drag this out too much off-topic (tho I would argue this *could* benefit some newcomers), but at this point Ubuntu is mostly running on past build-up hype from the times it was entirely different than what it is now - the reviews from years back - with some people *for some reason* still thinking they are relevant even tho pretty much *everything* in that system has changed since then.
Imo Ubuntu is no longer a good distro for newcomers in general.
Let alone for gaming ootb.
And there could be easily said a book-length amount of words of what is wrong with PPAs.

osm: CBA to check out tho.
Sorry maybe I'm missing something dully obvious, but what is CBA supposed to mean here?