It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

immi101: well, this is certainly the wrong way to show GOG that there is demand ;)
it just strengthens the impression outlined in the linked post, that people are not exactly eager for wine-wrapped installers. gotta try a different approach :p
I'm actually interested in how a Linux GOG user should go about requesting a wrapper. I wasn't aware GOG was even looking at requests from users. I happen to agree with linuxvangog that the reception is very often "meh" for a Wine wrapped GOG release. I won't be voting/requesting wrappers for most games and certainly not any simple, straightforward games to get working in Wine. However, others may feel different or differently about a particular title.

immi101: They hardly see enough demand to ship wine wrappers for games that are working.
Hurling requests like that at them. as I said, do you really think that is gonna get you anywhere?
No, I don't think it will go anywhere. It's a game where I would be interested in a working Wine wrapper. I doubt GOG could get it working, but if they did it's one I would buy because of it.
immi101: (and using the fact that on of their employees is not doing enough debugging in their spare times seems a rather odd argument, unless I just missed the humor in that sentence)
I'm whining would be the correct term. Whining about Judas as a Wine dev, not as a GOG employee. He also is not in QA, does not fix up the games nor is he a part of the packing team, Linux or otherwise. E.G. literally not related to his job.
Post edited December 04, 2017 by Gydion
Gydion: I'm actually interested in how a Linux GOG user should go about requesting a wrapper. I wasn't aware GOG was even looking at requests from users. I happen to agree with linuxvangog that the reception is very often "meh" for a Wine wrapped GOG release. I won't be voting/requesting wrappers for most games and certainly not any simple, straightforward games to get working in Wine. However, others may feel different or differently about a particular title.
For newer & less advanced users even the "install and play" games can be troublesome; there are a lot of little things to watch out for that can result in a poor experience if you're not mindful of them.

Plus it would be good to have more titles with official Linux support anyway :)
(and it's not like having an official wrapper prevents anyone from setting the games up in Wine themselves)
Post edited December 04, 2017 by adamhm
linuxvangog: ...
Gydion: So, what would be the official way for GOG customers to request a Wine wrapper: "show us your demand for such wrapper"? By and large I don't need them, and certainly not for JJ2, but I'm not aware of how GOG is soliciting requests for this.
Allow me to request a wrapper for Xanadu Next as Judas hasn't bothered to debug the color issue any further.
A wish on the community wishlist or another forum thread would be one way. In general, I try to actively monitor and collect feedback about Linux support on GOG using multiple channels, such as our forum, but also social media or Reddit.
linuxvangog: A wish on the community wishlist or another forum thread would be one way. In general, I try to actively monitor and collect feedback about Linux support on GOG using multiple channels, such as our forum, but also social media or Reddit.
I'd like to see every older game that doesn't have a native Linux version get an official Wine wrapper :p The more games that are officially available for and supported on Linux, the better IMO...
Hi.
Post edited December 07, 2017 by linuxvangog
linuxvangog: ...
Gydion: So, what would be the official way for GOG customers to request a Wine wrapper: "show us your demand for such wrapper"? By and large I don't need them, and certainly not for JJ2, but I'm not aware of how GOG is soliciting requests for this.
Allow me to request a wrapper for Xanadu Next as Judas hasn't bothered to debug the color issue any further.
The color issue in that game is most likely related to DirectX 8 (at least I think it's DX8, could be wrong) not playing nicely in Wine in general. Not something I can debug all that easily :)
Has anyone been able to get the mouse to work properly in Yooka Laylee? It seems the game doesn't capture the mouse properly, and the camera stops partway in either direction.
king_mosiah: Has anyone been able to get the mouse to work properly in Yooka Laylee? It seems the game doesn't capture the mouse properly, and the camera stops partway in either direction.
Unfortunately no, So far I managed the camera issue with the Q and E keys. It seems the camera is hitting an invisible wall (presumably the edge of the monitor) and stops there.
king_mosiah: Has anyone been able to get the mouse to work properly in Yooka Laylee? It seems the game doesn't capture the mouse properly, and the camera stops partway in either direction.
Ganni1987: Unfortunately no, So far I managed the camera issue with the Q and E keys. It seems the camera is hitting an invisible wall (presumably the edge of the monitor) and stops there.
At least it's not just me. I'd be tempted to initiate a return, but the game works fine with the Steam controller paired with the OSS sc-controller driver set to Xbox controller mode. I'll be more careful with picking up Unity (and Playtonic) games in the future though.
Post edited December 13, 2017 by king_mosiah
I also wish Unity would just give in and make SDL a standard part of the engine. Might avoid this sort of thing.
JudasIscariot: The color issue in that game is most likely related to DirectX 8 (at least I think it's DX8, could be wrong) not playing nicely in Wine in general. Not something I can debug all that easily :)
king_mosiah: I also wish Unity would just give in and make SDL a standard part of the engine. Might avoid this sort of thing.
didn't they do that already ?
i recall there were some articles about it a while ago:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/unity-56-will-be-the-first-version-of-unity-to-have-sdl-for-linux.8505
(that was november 2016)
Post edited December 13, 2017 by immi101
king_mosiah: I also wish Unity would just give in and make SDL a standard part of the engine. Might avoid this sort of thing.
immi101: didn't they do that already ?
i recall there were some articles about it a while ago:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/unity-56-will-be-the-first-version-of-unity-to-have-sdl-for-linux.8505
(that was november 2016)
They were investigating it, but their were undisclosed issues and they scrapped the idea.
king_mosiah: They were investigating it, but their were undisclosed issues and they scrapped the idea.
Those issues were resolved as far as I know, so they didn't scrap it.

See here, especially comment by icculus.
Post edited December 14, 2017 by shmerl
JudasIscariot: The color issue in that game is most likely related to DirectX 8 (at least I think it's DX8, could be wrong) not playing nicely in Wine in general. Not something I can debug all that easily :)
Yeah, IIRC there was something about shaders being the problem, no corroboration. It very well could be shaders (I wouldn't know either way). If I were you trying to debug this further (or if I was just giving you work), I would start by getting a clean trace:
1) Install on a working system (so Windows)
2) Download current Windows' version of apitrace (recently updated)
3) Trace game. If successful goto next.
4) Replay trace under Windows. If successful and clean trace goto #7.
5) Failed trace then try with PixWin.exe (historical SDK download).
6) Replay trace under Windows. If successful and clean trace goto #7.

7)Replay trace under Wine. If correct replay then success, new info, link trace to bug report. If rainbow replay then failure, new info, link trace to bug report.