It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I come before you to ask a Humble question.

So, in the humble store, if a game is tagged as DRM-free, does that always include a direct download link? Or is it sometimes a "Steam-DRM Free" key?
budejovice: I come before you to ask a Humble question.

So, in the humble store, if a game is tagged as DRM-free, does that always include a direct download link? Or is it sometimes a "Steam-DRM Free" key?
I've assumed it meant it comes with a DRM-free direct download. In the roughly 50 DRM-Free games I have on Humble, all the ones marked DRM-Free have direct download. I'd be highly annoyed if it were marked DRM-Free but only had a Steam key.
Post edited December 11, 2014 by the.kuribo
high rated

the.kuribo: I've assumed it meant it comes with a DRM-free direct download. In the roughly 50 DRM-Free games I have on Humble, all the ones marked DRM-Free have direct download.
I appreciate it. I tried it for kicks and grins for the Sinistar-recommended The Bridge at a whopping $0.79 and it had links, no problem.

But here and there I've heard people complaining about humble is "mostly steam" these days. They may have been talking bundles, though.

I also see the phrase "drm-free" mentioned in the same breath as Steam in some places. Just wanted to clarify. Thanks!

If it says "DRM-Free", then it's always a direct download.
budejovice: But here and there I've heard people complaining about humble is "mostly steam" these days. They may have been talking bundles, though.
I'm pretty sure this is people (like myself) complaining that Humble Bundle has been having a lot of Steam-only bundles these days... like over 50% of their bundles don't have any DRM-Free games anymore. For a company that was founded with one of their leading principles being the propagation of the DRM-Free movement, for them to put so little emphasis on DRM-Free sales is a little disheartening is all.

I have a lot of Humble stuff, and when they say DRM free, Humble hosts the download (and Torrent) themselves. If a Steam title happens to dump a DRM free install in your STEAMAPPS folder, that is still called Steam Only by Humble.

Figuring out whether any given Steam game is DRM Free, or infested with any extra DRM and third and forth party clients and parallel port dongles is an exercise for the buyer.
Post edited December 11, 2014 by pen_sq
Thanks everyone! It's my life goal to climb as many mountains as possible and forever avoid Steam keys! :)
budejovice: Thanks everyone! It's my life goal to climb as many mountains as possible and forever avoid Steam keys! :)
Then make sure to avoid games that feature only the Steam handle.

I've not even seen the "games that are on Steam but are DRM-Free" distinction outside of GOG.
Post edited December 11, 2014 by madth3
budejovice: Thanks everyone! It's my life goal to climb as many mountains as possible and forever avoid Steam keys! :)
*points at mountains of used unwashed socks, untreated biohazardous waste and justin bieber albums

start there.
pen_sq: Figuring out whether any given Steam game is DRM Free, or infested with any extra DRM and third and forth party clients and parallel port dongles is an exercise for the buyer.
Are you saying I'm fat?!
Post edited December 11, 2014 by Sachys
Niggles: Meridian: New World
Grargar: Well, that didn't take long.
Niggles: Question is - is the dev actively looking to cash in now (are sales that poor? i quite like it) (i dont rate Bundlecrap)
Well It's 70% @ $4.49 on steam week long deals, so It's not much cheaper in this bundle (unless into the other games as well).
Post edited December 11, 2014 by BlackThorny
This bundle doesn't give you any games - just books about games:

The Video Game Bundle 1.0 Rewind

Excerpt from the Website:

Welcome to StoryBundle! Due to popular demand, we're featuring The Video Game Bundle 1.0 Rewind, our very first Video Game bundle from early 2013 for an extremely limited time of one week! Many readers who enjoyed our subsequent Video Game bundles wanted us to feature the VG Bundle 1.0 again, and thanks to the generous authors, we were able to make it happen. But make sure to grab this bundle now, because it will never be available again. Keep in mind that some of these books aren't available anywhere else, so don't miss out!

The Making of Karateka by Jordan Mechner
Kill Screen Issue 2: Back to School by Kill Screen Magazine
Confessions of the Game Doctor by Bill Kunkel
Constellation Games by Leonard Richardson
Killing is Harmless by Brendan Keogh
Bonus books:
Kill Screen Issue 6: The Change Issue by Kill Screen Magazine
Generation Xbox: How Videogames Invaded Hollywood by Jamie Russell
Videogames: In the Beginning by Ralph H. Baer
The Making of Prince of Persia by Jordan Mechner
Phoenix: The Fall and Rise of Videogames by Leonard Herman
I've just noticed one amazing "deal".
My Warlock: Master of the Arcane is upgraded to Complete Edition for FREE!
I didn't know about this, no Steam notification appeared and didn't see anyone mention this on GOG forums or elsewhere. So, in case you didn't know about this until now, check your Steam library!
Spin Wars is free on desura. could be due to the upcoming Fredom Friday, or just because ;)
BranjoHello: I've just noticed one amazing "deal".
My Warlock: Master of the Arcane is upgraded to Complete Edition for FREE!
I didn't know about this, no Steam notification appeared and didn't see anyone mention this on GOG forums or elsewhere. So, in case you didn't know about this until now, check your Steam library!
Just checked for DLC under properties and it all appears to be there (and I didnt have it before).